Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 443869 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: Haken v. Virus (now July 24th)
« Reply #5460 on: August 13, 2021, 06:40:37 PM »
I think I agree they both lift each other up a lot. I thought both were good as standalone albums, but they make way more sense together. I felt like A Cell Divides was weak for an album closer, but it's EXCELLENT as the closing for Act 1 so to speak. And I thought Prosthetic, while a good opener compared to ACD as a closer, makes more sense as the start of Act 2. Of course, Clear is a fantastic opening track, and same goes for Only Stars ending the albums.

I personally can't wait to finally hear Virus live, especially when put together with Vector. If they even come to my area. :lol I also expect them to pull out Cockroach King for the encore considering the lyrical connection. Although they play it a lot, they didn't end up playing it on most of the tour I saw them on, which was the Vector tour at the end of 2018.

Offline 425

« Reply #5461 on: August 13, 2021, 10:19:15 PM »
I thought Virus ended up being pretty strong, especially after being somewhat disappointed in Vector. I haven't gone back to it in a while, because the time when I was listening to it a lot coincidence with a painful period in my life, but it may have been my favorite album from what I felt was a pretty weak 2020.

For me, though, Haken will probably always be The Mountain, Aquarius and then the rest.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5462 on: August 13, 2021, 10:40:42 PM »
Ya know, I've never gone back and listened to both back to back.  I probably should.  I thought Vector was a bit of a let down, but it may be more enjoyable as a double album given how much I love Virus.

Doing this is exactly what sold me on both albums. And a BIG +1 to Gaspar’s thoughts as well. You practically read my mind.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5463 on: August 13, 2021, 10:46:25 PM »
Ya know, I've never gone back and listened to both back to back.  I probably should.  I thought Vector was a bit of a let down, but it may be more enjoyable as a double album given how much I love Virus.

Doing this is exactly what sold me on both albums. And a BIG +1 to Gaspar’s thoughts as well. You practically read my mind.

Dammit, not again! I thought the doctors fixed that :lol

Speaking of weird opening/closing tracks, The Alien seems like a weird opening track too. I might change my mind when I hear the whole album, and it's definitely a badass opener, but the fact that people have said it sounds like it could be linked to Pale Blue Dot makes me think it would work well as the second track on an album where Pale Blue Dot is the opener. :omg: My mind will be blown if that actually turns out to be the case lol. PBD does actually seem like a cool opener song. Imagine if they surprised us and opened their shows with PBD / The Alien.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5464 on: August 14, 2021, 02:10:16 AM »
Yes, Vector and Virus together become more than the sum of their parts. Probably the least bloated double album I have ever heard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5465 on: August 14, 2021, 05:40:58 AM »
Except that the studio albums are not a double album. :lol

If you want to call them companion pieces to one another, have at it, but to call two separate albums a double album is, well, factually incorrect. ;)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5466 on: August 14, 2021, 06:45:47 AM »

If you want to call them companion pieces to one another, have at it, but to call two separate albums a double album is, well, factually incorrect. ;)
I mean, I agree with you but the difference is pretty moot really.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #5467 on: August 14, 2021, 07:06:19 AM »

I reject your hypothesis and substitute my own

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #5468 on: August 14, 2021, 07:14:36 AM »

I would call them a double album in the same vein that Mezmerize/Hypnotize and Automata I/II are double albums.

Both albums are about the same concept and both utilize the same tones and sounds.

The concept double album just happened to be released as two separate cds, which the labels most likely felt would sell better and I believe they did, as releasing two separate releases also counts as two products.  :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5469 on: August 14, 2021, 07:36:34 AM »
You guys are cute. :lol :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5470 on: August 14, 2021, 08:18:16 AM »
Only me who's really taken with Ross Jennings' new song, then? :lol

Just re-checking out the other two. Grounded is brilliant, that chorus. Really liking Words We Can't Unsay, too.

Have to say, I think I'm enjoying these tracks more than anything of Haken's although I really rather enjoyed Virus. Definitely buying the album.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2021, 08:33:44 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5471 on: August 14, 2021, 08:30:02 AM »
You guys are cute. :lol :lol

I actually think it would've been neat to do what SOAD did and had both albums combine to form the full double album package.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5472 on: August 14, 2021, 08:32:04 AM »
Only me who's been really taken with Ross Jennings' new song, then? :lol

Just re-checking out the other two. Grounded is brilliant, that chorus. Really liking Words We Can't Unsay, too.

Have to say, I think I'm enjoying these tracks more than anything of Haken's although I really rather enjoyed Virus. Definitely buying the album.

It was alright, I might find it better when not watching the video. I kept thinking of that Sledgehammer video, and couldn't focus on the song itself.  :lol

I prefer Grounded and out of the songs released that is one that I find myself gravitating towards.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5473 on: August 14, 2021, 08:50:32 AM »

I never actually said that they WERE a double album. I said that the two albums benefit when you view them as a double album. The comparison to Automata 1&2 is perfect. Exactly the same thing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5474 on: August 14, 2021, 08:51:06 AM »
Only me who's really taken with Ross Jennings' new song, then? :lol

I’ve been swamped so I haven’t even had an opportunity to check it out lately. It’s on my to do list.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5475 on: August 14, 2021, 09:24:25 AM »

I never actually said that they WERE a double album. I said that the two albums benefit when you view them as a double album. The comparison to Automata 1&2 is perfect. Exactly the same thing.

Another one could be Keeper of The Seven Keys.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5476 on: August 14, 2021, 03:39:01 PM »

me7 did, though, and his post was the last one before mine (which is why I didn't feel the need to quote it).  :)

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5477 on: August 14, 2021, 03:43:41 PM »
We could just start referring to them as V/VI.  :angel:

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5478 on: August 14, 2021, 04:05:57 PM »
I think the BTBAM comparison fits better than the SOAD example. Mezmerize and Hypnotize were two albums that work fine on their own. Both have proper endings, Mezmerize doesn't just leave the listener hanging.

Vector and Virus feel to me more like Automata I and II, given how abruptly Vector cuts off.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5479 on: August 14, 2021, 04:13:30 PM »
I think the BTBAM comparison fits better than the SOAD example. Mezmerize and Hypnotize were two albums that work fine on their own. Both have proper endings, Mezmerize doesn't just leave the listener hanging.

Vector and Virus feel to me more like Automata I and II, given how abruptly Vector cuts off.

Exactly. I even remember the complaints when Automata 1 came out that Blot, while being a killer track, didn’t sound like a proper ending for an album.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #5480 on: August 14, 2021, 04:22:32 PM »
Blot is a far more satisfying album closer than The Grid. Sorry to bring the BTBAM hot takes into the Haken thread. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #5481 on: August 14, 2021, 05:04:39 PM »

Very true. I just like how they did the album covers for that.  :biggrin:

I do like how they were getting people to realize how Virus was going to be by posting pictures of Ketchup and Mustard.  :lol

Funny thing is, I have both bands' albums but haven't listened to much of Automata I/II much at all.

Offline fivestring

• I like cheese
« Reply #5482 on: August 14, 2021, 08:33:18 PM »
I thought Virus ended up being pretty strong, especially after being somewhat disappointed in Vector. I haven't gone back to it in a while, because the time when I was listening to it a lot coincidence with a painful period in my life, but it may have been my favorite album from what I felt was a pretty weak 2020.

For me, though, Haken will probably always be The Mountain, Aquarius and then the rest.

A lot of the same here. I'll also likely be in the minority, but Vector was just nothing special for me. I felt it sounded like just another prog metal band. Virus came back and it had the spark I was looking for and liked about Haken. To me, I can't say they are Part I and Part II of a concept record or set or whatever. They sound vastly different to me.  I'm also the type of fan that has The Mountain at the top of their list. IMO, their best by a long shot.

Also, dang.... Ross is super busy! Haken, Novena, and now his own solo album?? That guy is just cranking it out! Good on him for being so creative and productive.

Quote from: Ben_Jamin
it's a great way to showcase the drum sound by introducing the album with that awesome drumming and sound.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5483 on: August 15, 2021, 08:06:36 AM »
6:22- in Streams is a nice section. Love mellow Ross!  :heart
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5484 on: August 16, 2021, 01:59:04 AM »
I completely agree about the "least bloated double album" ever statement! Some bands put the same amount of work (or less) into a double album (looking at you MP), whereas Haken released the two halves separately and putting a shit ton of work into each of them - resulting in a double album where without a second too much.

And yeah, Virus is still my album of the year 2020, without anything even coming close. And I'm much more of a prog fan than a metal fan.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5485 on: August 16, 2021, 03:29:01 PM »
https://youtu.be/Tdk45uQd5Y0

Classical Composer Doug Helvering has posted his first ever Haken reaction - "Cockroach King"!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline crazy climber dude

« Reply #5486 on: August 17, 2021, 03:53:01 PM »

And yeah, Virus is still my album of the year 2020, without anything even coming close. And I'm much more of a prog fan than a metal fan.

It's always contextual/subjective. It's almost impossible NOT to compare albums to other albums by the same band. And almost unequivocally, there will be at least ONE of those albums that you use as the template....and the newest stuff will NEVER leapfrog.

But if you COULD hear it in a vacuum.....you would say, whoa? Who the hell is this? Virus is a great example. Another one is Falling Into Infinity. If had never heard DT and listened to Lines In The Sand on the album, or even watched JP doing THIS solo....what would you think? https://youtu.be/DGbDQkxg3SU

Offline 425

« Reply #5487 on: August 17, 2021, 05:49:55 PM »
FII was one of the last DT albums I heard (well, of the ones that were released when I got into the band in 2013), but I still feel that way about Lines in the Sand.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5488 on: August 17, 2021, 05:53:57 PM »
Pretty sure if Virus was the first Haken album I had heard, I would have stopped right there and moved to another band.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #5489 on: August 17, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »
FII was one of the last DT albums I heard (well, of the ones that were released when I got into the band in 2013), but I still feel that way about Lines in the Sand.
Sorry, what do you mean by this? FII is the most recent you've heard of all of DT's albums?

Offline 425

« Reply #5490 on: August 17, 2021, 09:45:57 PM »
No, it was one of the last ones I heard—when I got into the band 8 years ago. At the time, they had 11 albums, and I heard 9 of them before FII—I only heard WDADU after it. Since then, of course, they've released three more albums, all of which I obviously heard after FII.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #5491 on: August 18, 2021, 02:35:30 AM »
Good thought! I love Falling Into Infinity and I also love Virus, no matter what came before or next. So, if I could hear those two "in a vacuum", I would still feel the same. Two awesome (and underrated) albums.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5492 on: October 10, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/100044565693628/posts/409505897211597/

Who’s ready for a big announcement tomorrow?!

🤔🤔🤔

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5493 on: October 10, 2021, 03:39:48 PM »
I'm afraid I must claim ignorance, genuinely don't know what it is, but would guess something tour related just based on timing.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5494 on: October 10, 2021, 04:20:48 PM »
Finally announcing Diego’s replacement?