Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 444288 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: Haken v. Virus (now July 24th)
« Reply #4585 on: July 23, 2020, 04:06:32 PM »
Nick, people never tire of complaining.

I lived through it with Rush through many musical journeys they took.

I get that, but to use your example all I'm saying is if people were complaining through Signals and Grace Under Pressure, they may have still been complaining through Power Windows, but hopefully not complaining about "that new fangled keyboard driven sound they have".
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4586 on: July 23, 2020, 04:13:45 PM »
Nick, people never tire of complaining.

I lived through it with Rush through many musical journeys they took.

I get that, but to use your example all I'm saying is if people were complaining through Signals and Grace Under Pressure, they may have still been complaining through Power Windows, but hopefully not complaining about "that new fangled keyboard driven sound they have".
I think you're underestimating how abused people can be.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4587 on: July 23, 2020, 04:27:34 PM »
I don't know if I follow that logic only because a lot of people who didn't like Vector would hope the band changed to do what they like and when they find out they didn't then they say "not my band anymore" or similar and double down on their opinion. 

I just think, as an artist, it's impossible to please everyone so once you put yourself out there (aka release an album) you are going to get criticized and I think that's unfortunate.  I'm not part of the facebook Haken group, but I think it's in poor taste if you are shitting on the album there considering I saw it was admin by the band themselves.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4588 on: July 23, 2020, 04:34:15 PM »
I just think, as an artist, it's impossible to please everyone so once you put yourself out there (aka release an album) you are going to get criticized and I think that's unfortunate.  I'm not part of the facebook Haken group, but I think it's in poor taste if you are shitting on the album there considering I saw it was admin by the band themselves.
There are thankfully very few people shitting on it, but I agree it's pretty disrespectful when a number of band members and their family members post there. One guy posted something a bit dickish, and Ross responded in a really classy way so the guy felt bad and took the post down. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #4589 on: July 23, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
This is why I'm glad this forum exists; if I only had band FB groups/pages to post in about new music, it would get old pretty fast because you do have to be at the very least polite and constructive when you know band members are gonna see it, and sometimes you just wanna say "wow i hated this thank u next". But if they see a lot of negativity pretty soon they're just going to stop reading the comments completely, and no one wants that. Some people see that request ("hey, be at the very least polite and constructive") and act like they've just been told to build a pyramid-sized shrine to every new album release though ::)

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4590 on: July 23, 2020, 04:56:02 PM »
There are thankfully very few people shitting on it, but I agree it's pretty disrespectful when a number of band members and their family members post there. One guy posted something a bit dickish, and Ross responded in a really classy way so the guy felt bad and took the post down. :lol

ah, as I said, not a member so didn't see but just figured by what was posted here that some of it had to be in poor taste.  I thought about joining, but I'm just not a fan of facebook and it feels so toxic (FB in general).  I am already a member of the discord channel (although I'm not active on it) so I don't feel the need to connect on facebook.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4591 on: July 23, 2020, 09:32:28 PM »
Well the album is out now, so now I can finally give my thoughts.

I feel that this album was a letdown. I was a massive fan of Vector for how tight it was, & how well-balanced the heaviness & melodic elements were, but I feel Virus is quite lacking in that department. It feels like every song is trying to be this massive heavy beast, & sadly it gives the album very little room to breathe. Vector was also very dense, but it still felt like it had a balance of catchy melodies & heavy riffs to make it feel like every second was giving me what I wanted. With Virus, the balance just isn't there in my opinion. I feel like there's not as much depth to anything as Haken is typically known for. There's too many sections where the sheer power of the music drowns everything out.

I think a big part of that can be attributed to the mix, which was the guitars, drums, & vocals at the forefront. & they are LOUD. The whole album is really. I've tried listening to Vector & Virus back-to-back & as soon as the Virus material started, I had to turn down the volume. The loudness war doesn't typically faze me personally, but the amount of compression on this album makes it an exhausting listen, & it especially highlights how few layers there are compared to Haken's other material. Maybe the loudness wouldn't have been as noticeable if it actually felt earned, but it really doesn't.

This works fine if you're just listening to a song on its own, because it has a kind of catharsis to it, but when that appeal wears off, my enjoyment as a whole goes down with it.

Take Invasion for example. On first listen, I hear that strong chorus with Ross's soaring vocals & I'm like "fuck yeah", but when I start to analyse the song's progression, the payoff to any of the song's buildups is always those vocals & the djent rhythms of the guitars. It never really goes beyond that "fuck yeah" moment into any kind of deeper appreciation. By the end of the song, I don't feel like I've just heard a piece of the album, I feel like I've just listened to a metal song without my enjoyment ever going beyond that. It works as a single, but not as a part of something greater.

Carousel is a step up from the first two singles, because I feel that it has a more interesting structure & even some interesting dynamics. There's an elephant in the room though, & that's that the song sounds like Tool... like a lot... Now, I like Tool. I like their sound, & I don't mind people taking inspiration from it. I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't, being a modern Dream Theater fan & all. I just think that the Tool influence on Carousel is not quite fitting for Haken, & it does stick out like a sore thumb. Once again, this isn't a bad song, but I think it works better on its own than as a part of something bigger.

Although I think the dynamics on Carousel are something to be praised, sometimes they do feel a bit jumpy too. You have this soft rhythm & then suddenly huge guitars dominating & Ross going "think of aaaaall the peeeeople". It feels less like a build & more like a collection of sections that just happen to be louder & softer. I actually think it works for this song, because it has quite an intricate structure, but in the rest of Virus, it doesn't work nearly as well.

Canary Yellow is possibly the worst example of this. Transitioning out of The Strain, it seems clear that the song is meant to be the more emotional counterpart to it, but the drums (although they're interesting rhythmically) start out absolutely massive in what's supposed to be a soft reflective moment. Then when the outro hits, the guitars are extremely loud, which makes a bit of sense because it's the climax of the song, but I don't think it builds up to it very well, ESPECIALLY to that extreme. Some more buildup would've been nice, but I have some doubts about whether the mix would have done it justice even if a more elaborate buildup was there. Compare this to Host, which balanced its soft & loud parts perfectly to give an emotional experience, & even in the climax of the song, didn't have the guitars drowning out the other layers that the song had built up. I think Virus was written to have Canary Yellow (& to a lesser extent, The Strain) as some breathing room, but the mix just doesn't do it any favours regarding subtlety.

& then we get to Messiah Complex. This absolute mess of a song starts positively enough, with arguably the best chorus on the album & some of the melodic elements of the band actually getting their chance to shine. However, the song quickly devolves into a disaster. It's like an endless chain of unfinished ideas that loosely connect, are damn-near impossible to follow rhythmically, are all loud as fuck, & never end. It feels like every three seconds of Messiah Complex is trying to outdo the previous three seconds in how proggy & heavy it is with very little care for tension & release. & how could I forget the REFERENCES. They come out of nowhere & have the subtlety of a brick. Maybe they make more sense in relation to the story (I know the story relates to the Cockroach King, which is reprised three times), but it further complicates this Frankenstein's Monster of random tiny parts that are all somehow fighting each other for dominance. It's a trainwreck, & the only time it returns to actually establishing a semblance of structure is in the final movement, which reprises both Cockroach King & Prosthetic, but actually recontextualises them to make it feel like a grand closing to this confused & unpleasant epic.

Fortunately, the album doesn't end there, & the album has the absolutely beautiful coda of Only Stars. It's only 2 minutes, & is quite a simple reprise of the Clear melody, but the atmosphere it builds with the binaural sound effects, haunting piano, & frail vocals makes this an incredibly immersive piece of music. You can just feel the emotion with everything that happens, & it's a shame that the album for the most part seems more focussed on being as heavy as possible over exploring the deep & layered musical ideas that Haken have done so well in the past.

TL;DR I didn't like it

5/10
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4592 on: July 23, 2020, 09:56:50 PM »
TL;DR I didn't like it

Wow! I haven't listened to it yet, but after reading your post... this is what I was afraid would end up happening with them. Like I said some days ago, I feel like they just turned into a fancy djent band and completely lost the magic that made them stand out in a sea of over-produced, samey-sounding modern "prog metal" bands.

Just one question (to IDNDT or whoever has listened to the album already), since there's been some rumors about tensions between Diego and the rest of the band... how are keyboards represented throughout the album? I can imagine him being very upset if the album ended up being just a big wall of sound from the guitars/bass drums + the vocals on top and no room for his keys to show up and shine.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4593 on: July 23, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
TL;DR I didn't like it

Just one question (to IDNDT or whoever has listened to the album already), since there's been some rumors about tensions between Diego and the rest of the band... how are keyboards represented throughout the album? I can imagine him being very upset if the album ended up being just a big wall of sound from the guitars/bass drums + the vocals on top and no room for his keys to show up and shine.

What keyboards?  :lol

Yeah, they're very buried. Maybe some more prominent keyboards would alleviate the issue of the album not being layered enough. Only Stars is the only time where they take the forefront, unless I'm forgetting something. :|

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4594 on: July 23, 2020, 10:17:27 PM »
TL;DR I didn't like it

What keyboards?  :lol

Yeah, they're very buried. Maybe some more prominent keyboards would alleviate the issue of the album not being layered enough. Only Stars is the only time where they take the forefront, unless I'm forgetting something. :|

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Yeah, I'd be very upset about this if I was Diego, he's an incredible played and it sounds like they underutilized him here, and he's given GREAT performances on the first few Haken albums.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4595 on: July 23, 2020, 10:27:48 PM »
& then we get to Messiah Complex. This absolute mess of a song starts positively enough, with arguably the best chorus on the album & some of the melodic elements of the band actually getting their chance to shine. However, the song quickly devolves into a disaster. It's like an endless chain of unfinished ideas that loosely connect, are damn-near impossible to follow rhythmically, are all loud as fuck, & never end. It feels like every three seconds of Messiah Complex is trying to outdo the previous three seconds in how proggy & heavy it is with very little care for tension & release. & how could I forget the REFERENCES. They come out of nowhere & have the subtlety of a brick. Maybe they make more sense in relation to the story (I know the story relates to the Cockroach King, which is reprised three times), but it further complicates this Frankenstein's Monster of random tiny parts that are all somehow fighting each other for dominance. It's a trainwreck, & the only time it returns to actually establishing a semblance of structure is in the final movement, which reprises both Cockroach King & Prosthetic, but actually recontextualises them to make it feel like a grand closing to this confused & unpleasant epic.

You pretty much nailed my thoughts about this song.

I'll post my full thoughts about the album on weekend, but I can't see it overcoming Vector in my rankings.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #4596 on: July 23, 2020, 10:52:08 PM »
I've had the album for a few weeks now. I like it but I don't love it, and it might actually be my least favorite album from them. I didn't care for Vector all that much either. It's too short and too samey throughout. Virus doubles down on the heavy, djenty aspect of their sound and I think it goes waaaaaaay too far.
Messiah Complex is the only track I revisit but as IDNDT said, the song is kind of a chaotic mess.

And yeah, the only time Diego is really present on this album is when he has a solo. Otherwise he's inaudible or just not doing anything notable. I hope the rumors of his departure are false, I love what he brings to the table especially on Vector and Affinity, but I don't think there was much for him to do on this record. Maybe he just wasn't involved as much due to playing with Devin Townsend on his past couple of tours?

Overall, I'm really let down by this album. I give it a 5/10 and that's being generous.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #4597 on: July 23, 2020, 11:15:09 PM »
genuinely cannot imagine calling a 51 minute album "too short". that's roughly the length all albums should be imo
uuhh. this one. the first two songs are really boring but it improved after that, though nothing really wowed me either. i'll give it more spins. maybe i'll get it. i feel like haken and caligula's horse are both going the same way of "well they used to be good but they're not interesting anymore" for me. both bands have been on the same trajectory for their past few albums now

Offline NoFred

« Reply #4598 on: July 23, 2020, 11:25:27 PM »
Two listens in, definitely inseparable from Vector. I won’t hold the music style against them as it’s what they set out to do and have proven able to change at their own discretion... if the next album is more of the same I’d worry (but I guess in prog metal, metal pays the bills)

Prosthetic - Good! Anything that could fit in on Demanufacture is a win
Invasion - Ross owns the first half, drags on from there
Carousel - Really intriguing not too high or low, just 10m of the band at their best... probably song of the album
The Strain - nice intro to canary yellow, like it
Canary Yellow - nice follow up to the strain, like it
Messiah Complex - I think the title says it all, relentless and disjointed, this is look what I can do music all the way through. Lots of fun, but no dynamics. Notable when they get to reprise the vocal harmony that defines the band, Ross is left with no option but to yell. Wish they let it breathe more, but again maybe the title is telling as in this is supposed to be manic and complicated. Final chorus is awesome, and prosthetic outro is too.
Only Stars - completes Clear in a very downbeat way. Pretty great actually.

Credit to the band none of these songs repeat earlier sounds, even the connections to Vector are by design and new music. I like it so far, though of the two Vector still has the higher highs.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4599 on: July 24, 2020, 01:45:58 AM »
Mine is arriving today and I'm still positively minded that I will enjoy it :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4600 on: July 24, 2020, 01:52:26 AM »
As I wrote here weeks ago, I consider that the band has only one great record: The Mountain.
Aquarius and Visions are OK albums. I don't really remember Restoration and Affinity. And I really dislike Vector (I only listened to the entire record once or twice, I don't remember).

That said, I decided to revisit the entire discography of the band and then listen to the Virus.

I want to see if I change my opinion about their discography as a whole. It is my "Haken: the last chance" project.  :lol

From the comments, I am not at all excited by the new record.   :sad:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4601 on: July 24, 2020, 02:25:29 AM »
I think a big part of that can be attributed to the mix, which was the guitars, drums, & vocals at the forefront. & they are LOUD. The whole album is really. I've tried listening to Vector & Virus back-to-back & as soon as the Virus material started, I had to turn down the volume. The loudness war doesn't typically faze me personally, but the amount of compression on this album makes it an exhausting listen, & it especially highlights how few layers there are compared to Haken's other material. Maybe the loudness wouldn't have been as noticeable if it actually felt earned, but it really doesn't.
I don't really understand this. I get that the mix, like on Vector, is very guitar & drums heavy, and could sound quite exhausting for someone who isn't into that sort of thing, but the mastering is less loud/brickwalled than Vector, closer to TM or Affinity. (EDIT: Actually, I will say that Prosthetic is mastered louder than the rest of the album for some reason, much more like Nil By Mouth, so I guess coming after two slightly quieter songs it does come in with quite a punch).

Take Invasion for example. On first listen, I hear that strong chorus with Ross's soaring vocals & I'm like "fuck yeah", but when I start to analyse the song's progression, the payoff to any of the song's buildups is always those vocals & the djent rhythms of the guitars. It never really goes beyond that "fuck yeah" moment into any kind of deeper appreciation. By the end of the song, I don't feel like I've just heard a piece of the album, I feel like I've just listened to a metal song without my enjoyment ever going beyond that. It works as a single, but not as a part of something greater.
Hard disagree, Invasion is amazing.

Another hard disagree, but I do understand why the mad chaos of Messiah Complex won't be to some people's tastes. It's an approach to songwriting they haven't really used for years as they're much more focused on tighter, coherent structures these days. It wouldn't normally be entirely my thing either (e.g. I'm lukewarm on the first three songs on Aquarius because of the way they meander from idea to idea with little coherence), but in this case I think it's so bonkers that I enjoy for an entirely different reason instead.

Fortunately, the album doesn't end there, & the album has the absolutely beautiful coda of Only Stars. It's only 2 minutes, & is quite a simple reprise of the Clear melody, but the atmosphere it builds with the binaural sound effects, haunting piano, & frail vocals makes this an incredibly immersive piece of music. You can just feel the emotion with everything that happens,
Something we agree on at least, really glad some people are liking Only Stars so much! :)

& it's a shame that the album for the most part seems more focussed on being as heavy as possible over exploring the deep & layered musical ideas that Haken have done so well in the past.
I don't really understand this either, I don't think the album is any heavier than Vector, and I'd argue that it's a little more varied in tone and style. I also disagree that there's less depth or layering, but I wonder if the keyboard parts being quieter in the mix isn't helping in that regard.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 03:19:09 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4602 on: July 24, 2020, 03:19:35 AM »
TL;DR I didn't like it

Wow! I haven't listened to it yet, but after reading your post... this is what I was afraid would end up happening with them. Like I said some days ago, I feel like they just turned into a fancy djent band and completely lost the magic that made them stand out in a sea of over-produced, samey-sounding modern "prog metal" bands.
I wouldn't pay much attention to other reviews, or if you do then go for a balance - most fans seem to be liking or loving the album so far (big change in tone today at the Haken Haven FB group and subreddit, a lot of serious positivity so far), and critics have been almost universal in praising it. But yeah as with any album, some people won't like it.

Also really great responses so far in the Reddit progmetal sub, which is great to see.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4603 on: July 24, 2020, 03:25:54 AM »
Haken's last two albums has been their Systematic Chaos / Black Clouds moment.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4604 on: July 24, 2020, 03:27:32 AM »
I'm on my first listen on Spotify and there were plenty of interesting bits! It will be so much fun to dig into the album over the next week, there's so much potential.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4605 on: July 24, 2020, 03:51:28 AM »

Are you comparing Affinity to Systematic Chaos? Couldn't disagree more.

If anything, I'd compare Vector to Train of Thought.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4606 on: July 24, 2020, 03:54:56 AM »

I think he means that Vector is like Systematic Chaos & Virus is like Black Clouds.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4607 on: July 24, 2020, 03:59:15 AM »
So you're saying there's an "EVERYONE SURVIVED! ROOOOOOOOAAAAAR!" moment on here then.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4608 on: July 24, 2020, 04:05:28 AM »
You're right, this is their Systematic Chaos / Black Clouds & Silver Linings moment.
As in, they released an amazing album and followed it up with an even more amazing album.

...Well, okay, I actually prefer Vector to Virus, but both albums are REALLY good. Personally, I'm not sure I get all the people saying it's a 5/10 and stuff like that. It's not their best album, but Virus is still great even when compared to the rest of Haken's albums.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4609 on: July 24, 2020, 04:13:24 AM »

I think he means that Vector is like Systematic Chaos & Virus is like Black Clouds.
I assume he just means because they're heavier/riffier than the albums before them. Other than that, and generally being in the prog metal genre, there isn't really anything else comparable between them.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4610 on: July 24, 2020, 06:03:43 AM »
Yaaaay first listen right now
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4611 on: July 24, 2020, 06:06:37 AM »
Yaaaay first listen right now
Awesome, glad it arrived!

I be am boner inducing.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4612 on: July 24, 2020, 06:20:50 AM »
Not if it sucks :neverusethis:

No, I’m kidding, ejoying it so far!
Squ

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4613 on: July 24, 2020, 06:28:57 AM »
Holy shit The Strain is insane
Squ

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4614 on: July 24, 2020, 06:29:56 AM »
Yessssssssssssss! One of my favourites on the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4615 on: July 24, 2020, 07:09:02 AM »
So, after first listen...

1.  I'm glad I didn't read any of the reviews on here beforehand.

2.  Oh Nintendo, how I missed you!

I'll do a full review towards the end of the day after I've had lots of time to  :metal
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 07:42:00 AM by Northern Lion »
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline Skeever

« Reply #4616 on: July 24, 2020, 07:11:26 AM »
I give these guys a fresh chance which each album. However the vocals are just not my cup of tea and unfortunately that remains with this latest track.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4617 on: July 24, 2020, 07:17:00 AM »
Initial thought after just one listen:

and probably the best track on the record, again, after one listen.

I don't know what to make of Messiah Complex just yet, there's a lot to take in. First listen was positive though - contrary to this, my first experience with Veil was not so good and I consider it one of their weakest tracks, same with Crystallised - so I'm curious to hear it again another day. I thought Carousel was a bit strange, though not in a negative way. I had heard all the singles once and enjoyed them. Liked them better in album context than as separate tracks I think. Of the three singles, I think Invasion is the strongest track, because it's the most fleshed out one.

All of this after one listen (second listen for the singles).
Squ

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4618 on: July 24, 2020, 07:51:53 AM »
Ordered my copy, should be here tomorrow.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4619 on: July 24, 2020, 08:02:36 AM »
I don't know if I follow that logic only because a lot of people who didn't like Vector would hope the band changed to do what they like and when they find out they didn't then they say "not my band anymore" or similar and double down on their opinion. 

Your labeled and judged based off your first album released. But then when you release more. Unless your first album is highly regarded, then your judged based on the highly regarded album. Because that is the sound people enjoy the most, and bands cater to them by creating albums similar in sound and style.

For me, I understand music is subjective and vastly similar, I don't care about Bands writing away from their famous sound. If the bands collectively wants to make that album, I say go for it. Could be a game changer like for Anathema.

Now for Virus. It continues that same Heavyness and Low end sound from Vector. The Messiah Complex is the highlight for me. The rest just blurred together and felt less diverse than Vector for me. I prefer Vectors vocal melodies more so than Virus. But Virus does sound more Haken than Vector does.

Not a bad Double Album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD