Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 444280 times)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3675 on: August 05, 2019, 01:07:51 PM »
I finally spoke with Richard Henshall last saturday, and the interview was published today. Check it out!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-richard-henshall/?fbclid=IwAR3pnOiRsusZomn-HOZ-3BYDVJ_j3M70rvhJWgDWP7NkKszfzMFZuDfTH48

Cool, Rodrigo! It will be a written version of it?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3676 on: August 05, 2019, 01:15:06 PM »
Great interview.

If you're a Haken fan and don't have time to listen to it, Hen mentions that they are working on a new album and intend to release it in early 2020.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3677 on: August 05, 2019, 06:47:44 PM »

If you're a Haken fan and don't have time to listen to it, Hen mentions that they are working on a new album and intend to release it in early 2020.

Nice! The sooner, the better.  :metal :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3678 on: August 05, 2019, 07:02:12 PM »
I finally spoke with Richard Henshall last saturday, and the interview was published today. Check it out!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-richard-henshall/?fbclid=IwAR3pnOiRsusZomn-HOZ-3BYDVJ_j3M70rvhJWgDWP7NkKszfzMFZuDfTH48

Cool, Rodrigo! It will be a written version of it?

No, only the audio.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3679 on: August 05, 2019, 07:44:59 PM »

Nice! The sooner, the better.  :metal :metal

Who knows, if it’s as short as Vector, we might even have it by the end of the year :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3680 on: August 05, 2019, 09:56:11 PM »
Great interview.

Thanks for the information!
He gave any hint about the musical direction?
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #3681 on: August 06, 2019, 03:39:30 AM »
I wonder if the shortness of Vector has partially sped up the process of working on HK6. When you've previously dealt exclusively in 60-70-minute albums and you suddenly release one that's only 45, there must be material left over that can be worked on and developed for a future album.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3682 on: August 06, 2019, 09:58:01 AM »
I wonder if the shortness of Vector has partially sped up the process of working on HK6. When you've previously dealt exclusively in 60-70-minute albums and you suddenly release one that's only 45, there must be material left over that can be worked on and developed for a future album.

Im sure there are. Songs that were written but in the end didn't fit the vibe/mood/etc of the album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3683 on: August 06, 2019, 12:17:34 PM »

Im sure there are. Songs that were written but in the end didn't fit the vibe/mood/etc of the album.

When I interviewed Diego, I asked him about this (sadly, I did it after the interview was done, and was off the record), but he said that due to the tour of Shattered Fortress and that their release cycly was broken (due to SF) it took them longer to put the album out, and they almost did it in a rush, they wanted the album out quickly and that's why it is shorter than others albums. In fact, he said that they almost put it out as an EP with only 3 to 4 songs but the label pushed them to make an album not an EP

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3684 on: August 06, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »

When I interviewed Diego, I asked him about this (sadly, I did it after the interview was done, and was off the record), but he said that due to the tour of Shattered Fortress and that their release cycly was broken (due to SF) it took them longer to put the album out, and they almost did it in a rush, they wanted the album out quickly and that's why it is shorter than others albums. In fact, he said that they almost put it out as an EP with only 3 to 4 songs but the label pushed them to make an album not an EP
That's along the lines of my understanding too. As far as I'm aware, there isn't any substantive leftover material (almost certainly discararded ideas, etc, but no full tracks or anything).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3685 on: August 06, 2019, 01:29:08 PM »

So we can blame Portnoy? :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3686 on: August 06, 2019, 01:41:46 PM »

So we can blame Portnoy? :biggrin:

LOL I think we can.

J/K

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3687 on: August 06, 2019, 07:08:49 PM »
Makes me wonder why they didn't just say no to the Shattered Fortress thing.  I guess maybe they figured it would give them a little more exposure.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3688 on: August 06, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »
Yes. And probably they just didn’t want to say no to MP as I think they are close to him

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3689 on: August 06, 2019, 07:32:13 PM »
Given that I have read rumblings that Portnoy really puts pressure on those he has done favors for to be there when he needs a favor in the future, almost like they owe him, I think it's a good possibility that they felt like they couldn't say no. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3690 on: August 06, 2019, 09:28:14 PM »
Given that I have read rumblings that Portnoy really puts pressure on those he has done favors for to be there when he needs a favor in the future, almost like they owe him, I think it's a good possibility that they felt like they couldn't say no. 

That may or may not be, but why would they want to say no? It's time playing music they probably all had a blast playing, all while upping their exposure to many fans who otherwise may not have known them, and all while getting paid probably more than whatever they make touring in Haken. It's a win-win-win. Sure, it delayed some Haken things, but that tour will do more for Haken's future than anything they would have done with Haken during that same time.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3691 on: August 07, 2019, 04:26:01 AM »
To my knowledge including from conversations with some of the band, the Shattered Fortress thing was something they genuinely wanted to do for both the experience and the exposure. I've never heard any of them suggest there was any kind of obligation to Mike, or anything like that.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3692 on: August 07, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »

That may or may not be, but why would they want to say no? It's time playing music they probably all had a blast playing, all while upping their exposure to many fans who otherwise may not have known them, and all while getting paid probably more than whatever they make touring in Haken. It's a win-win-win. Sure, it delayed some Haken things, but that tour will do more for Haken's future than anything they would have done with Haken during that same time.

THIS.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3693 on: August 07, 2019, 09:06:46 AM »
I've got to imagine that anyone who saw that show and wasn't into Haken at least got some appreciation from them for their amazing performance of DT songs.  I'd imagine that was good exposure for them and it wasn't that much of a bump of the Haken schedule to fit it in that it would hurt the band.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3694 on: August 07, 2019, 09:50:02 AM »
Mike Portnoy coming to you and asking you to tour with him playing DT material would be like some small bay area metal band being approached by Hetfield and being asked to tour with him playing Metallica tracks.

How does one say no? :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3695 on: August 07, 2019, 01:42:30 PM »
Mike Portnoy coming to you and asking you to tour with him playing DT material would be like some small bay area metal band being approached by Hetfield and being asked to tour with him playing Metallica tracks.

How does one say no? :lol

Well said.

Also, can't wait to hear the Hen album. My preorder is underway but I'm on vacation right now. I hope it will be available on Spotify.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3696 on: August 17, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
Was messing around cooking this morning and just had music going and on comes the whole of Aquarius, Instrumental version.  I pretty much never listen to the all instrumentals and this was the first time listening to this.  I must say, it's pretty damn good and can definitely stand on it's own!!!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3697 on: September 06, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »
Was messing around cooking this morning and just had music going and on comes the whole of Aquarius, Instrumental version.  I pretty much never listen to the all instrumentals and this was the first time listening to this.  I must say, it's pretty damn good and can definitely stand on it's own!!!

The instrumental mix of that album is one of my go to "chillax and go to sleep" albums. Very soothing
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3698 on: October 26, 2019, 10:48:56 AM »
Anyone have any US tour info?  I see these dates listed in the link below.  When I look on Ticketmaster it takes me to a Devin Townsend gig.  Are they supporting him?  In small venues??  I sure hope not....

https://www.hakenmusic.com/tour

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3699 on: October 26, 2019, 10:53:39 AM »
Anyone have any US tour info?  I see these dates listed in the link below.  When I look on Ticketmaster it takes me to a Devin Townsend gig.  Are they supporting him?  In small venues??  I sure hope not....

https://www.hakenmusic.com/tour

That is correct.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3700 on: October 26, 2019, 10:55:05 AM »
So pumped for this tour, I'll be going to brooklyn and debating about doing the road trip to Boston as well.  Diego is playing in Devin's band as well.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3701 on: October 26, 2019, 11:28:45 AM »
Man, this show has some big strikes for me.  I HATE General admission, but I'd put up with it for a small venue if they were the headliners.  But if they're only gonna play for less than 1.5 hours I don't know if I want to deal with the GA AND downtown Los Angeles :(  Totally bummed that this isn't a headlining tour.  I missed last US leg because I had just discovered the band and  there were no tix to the LA show available :(
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:37:28 AM by CrimsonSunrise »

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3702 on: October 28, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
I'll most likely take the kiddos to the Nashville show. All three of my boys REALLY got into Haken literally a month or so after they came through St. Louis on the Vector tour. They've been asking ever since when they'd get to see them. My brother in law lives there so we could knock out a visit and see a show.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3703 on: October 28, 2019, 01:40:18 PM »
I'll most likely take the kiddos to the Nashville show. All three of my boys REALLY got into Haken literally a month or so after they came through St. Louis on the Vector tour. They've been asking ever since when they'd get to see them. My brother in law lives there so we could knock out a visit and see a show.

Make sure you and the kiddos are all wearing Blues Stanley Cup gear. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3704 on: October 28, 2019, 02:04:28 PM »

Make sure you and the kiddos are all wearing Blues Stanley Cup gear. :biggrin: :biggrin:

I text him a championship photo at least once a week. Just to say 'hi'   :lol
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3705 on: October 28, 2019, 02:06:07 PM »

I text him a championship photo at least once a week. Just to say 'hi'   :lol

:metal :metal

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #3706 on: October 28, 2019, 06:16:14 PM »

They will be in the Cannery Ballroom.  I saw Steven Wilson there earlier this year. The venue is a step up from the Exit Inn, where I saw Haken, Leporus and Bent Knee earlier this year.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3707 on: November 27, 2019, 02:10:48 PM »
From Richard Henshalls solo album:

Matt Lynch - Richard Henshall - Twisted Shadows - Drum Playthrough

I absolutely love Matts playing so tasty, dynamic and creative.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #3708 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:08 PM »
Just as a side note (I haven't read the whole thread), even though Vector was short, I thought it was a very good album.  Also, the news that they might put out a new record next year is really good news!

Haken have become one of my favorite bands and my second favorite progressive band next to DT.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3709 on: November 30, 2019, 01:04:29 PM »
Just as a side note (I haven't read the whole thread), even though Vector was short, I thought it was a very good album.  Also, the news that they might put out a new record next year is really good news!

Haken have become one of my favorite bands and my second favorite progressive band next to DT.

A new album soon would be great.  It feels like they lost a little bit of their forward momentum with Vector, which I thought was good but not great, and a new kick ass album would go a long way into getting that trajectory going the right away again, IMO.