Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 444287 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #840 on: April 11, 2016, 07:15:33 AM »
Dubstep metal.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #841 on: April 11, 2016, 07:18:45 AM »
I liked the instrumentation on that track, but honestly the vocals felt really forced and only stuck out as something I could grab onto during the chorus. Still a pretty cool song though, and I'll definitely check the album out.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #842 on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:17 AM »
What a great song! On a scale of one to ten, my hype would have to be at eleven!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #843 on: April 11, 2016, 07:28:27 AM »
I liked the instrumentation on that track, but honestly the vocals felt really forced and only stuck out as something I could grab onto during the chorus.

Even though I love Haken with all my heart that's something that I find in their music a lot that's not entirely to my liking. Because most of their songs are in weird time signatures and such, lots of vocal melodies feel forced to me because they get accented often with the odd signatures. I get used to them after a while, tho.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #844 on: April 11, 2016, 07:35:24 AM »
Nice one!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #845 on: April 11, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
That's more like it, yes! Awesome track.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #846 on: April 11, 2016, 07:57:57 AM »
I liked the instrumentation on that track, but honestly the vocals felt really forced and only stuck out as something I could grab onto during the chorus.

Even though I love Haken with all my heart that's something that I find in their music a lot that's not entirely to my liking. Because most of their songs are in weird time signatures and such, lots of vocal melodies feel forced to me because they get accented often with the odd signatures. I get used to them after a while, tho.
I sort of know what you mean in general, though I don't find that myself, but I have to say I love the vocal melodies in this song and not just the chorus. The vocal lines in the verses are dark and brooding (my favourite part being "Confronting facts to prove the fiction, right to the point of mass extinction"), the pre-chorus is nice and the chorus is a typically huge Haken chorus.

EDIT: Oh and on the point about the vocal lines being awkward because of the strange rhythms, I do agree about that on first listen, but once you know the rhythms, it's f***ing awesome.

Except the rhythms for the intro, where I've heard the song like 25 times and I still have no idea what's going on. :lol

EDIT 2: Also, there's a recurring theme that I had totally failed to notice before until I saw the lyric video was that the bridge section halfway through recalls the chorus from 1985 - not really melodically, but lyrically. I therefore missed that from my review.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #847 on: April 11, 2016, 08:02:11 AM »
I sort of know what you mean in general, though I don't find that myself, but I have to say I love the vocal melodies in this song and not just the chorus. The vocal lines in the verses are dark and brooding (my favourite part being "Confronting facts to prove the fiction, right to the point of mass extinction"), the pre-chorus is nice and the chorus is a typically huge Haken chorus.

Yeah, I agree. Song is awesome.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #848 on: April 11, 2016, 08:04:23 AM »

EDIT: Oh and on the point about the vocal lines being awkward because of the strange rhythms, I do agree about that on first listen, but once you know the rhythms, it's f***ing awesome.

Except the rhythms for the intro, where I've heard the song like 25 times and I still have no idea what's going on. :lol

Yeah, its definitely the sort of thing that improves upon further listens (it has for me with some of their older stuff), I think its just that syncopated feel when the vocals accent right along with the music that throws me off sometimes. Cool song though, chalk full of awesome playing.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #849 on: April 11, 2016, 08:32:37 AM »
Dat dubstep-metal minisection, tho.  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #850 on: April 11, 2016, 08:37:55 AM »
It's OK I guess. Don't really digging this new direction shown by the singles.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #851 on: April 11, 2016, 08:51:08 AM »
Sounded really interesting on first listen! Needs more spins to say an opinion.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #852 on: April 11, 2016, 09:30:14 AM »
alright, i like this a fair bit more than initiate on first listen
still kinda djenty though but it's done better here :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #853 on: April 11, 2016, 09:44:52 AM »
It's Ok. I feel like they are going more towards the music that they did on The Mountain than on their previous releases and that bugs me a bit cause I don't like that new style but I'll wait to hear more of the new album before coming to any conclusions.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #854 on: April 11, 2016, 02:43:54 PM »
You guys have a lot more yet to come. 1985 and The Architect especially go in directions not even touched on during these two tracks. And of course, I <3 The Endless Knot.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #855 on: April 11, 2016, 03:54:35 PM »
alright, i like this a fair bit more than initiate on first listen
still kinda djenty though but it's done better here :lol

Nothing wrong with a bit of tasteful djenting.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #856 on: April 11, 2016, 04:16:12 PM »
Really cool track! I love the direction it's going in so far.

Offline Estiui

« Reply #857 on: April 12, 2016, 03:00:39 AM »
I like Initiate more than this one. However, that dubstep-like break is one of my favourite parts in the album. As is that jazzy keyboard solo in Lapse. Some great moments in this album, which is overall below The Mountain, IMO.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #858 on: April 12, 2016, 08:50:17 AM »
Endless Knot only gets better and better with each subsequent listen. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being my favorite on the album.  :metal

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #859 on: April 12, 2016, 10:29:39 AM »
Wow, what a song! Maybe it's just because it's new, but I quite love this. After way too many listens, it may be one of my favorite Haken songs. The drums in particular put in so much work! Oh, and that dubstep moment, followed by that solo... Just wow.
Also, I quite like the vocals throughout, they feel more like an instrument than just someone singing, which makes it sound kind of unique to me.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #860 on: April 13, 2016, 10:06:45 AM »
I like Initiate more than this one. However, that dubstep-like break is one of my favourite parts in the album. As is that jazzy keyboard solo in Lapse. Some great moments in this album, which is overall below The Mountain, IMO.

Even though I think the Mountain is great, I must say that I like Affinity a lot better. It might be my favorite Haken album yet, even beating Aquarius which I was beginning to doubt they ever would.

I liked the instrumentation on that track, but honestly the vocals felt really forced and only stuck out as something I could grab onto during the chorus. Still a pretty cool song though, and I'll definitely check the album out.

The chorus is actually my least favorite part of The Endless Knot. Like arrich said, once you get to know the weird rhythmical vocals melodies it's really really awesome.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: April 13, 2016, 11:30:20 AM »
The chorus is actually my least favorite part of The Endless Knot. Like arrich said, once you get to know the weird rhythmical vocals melodies it's really really awesome.

And that's exactly the opposite for Initiate. The song got so much less interesting once I just realized it was just (mostly) in 7. Still good though.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #862 on: April 13, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »

And that's exactly the opposite for Initiate. The song got so much less interesting once I just realized it was just (mostly) in 7. Still good though.

I'm glad I don't give a shit what time signature music is in so it doesn't ruin songs for me as it does for you.  :lol

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #863 on: April 13, 2016, 12:28:45 PM »
I loved it before I understood the time sig, and I still love it just as much after. Don't know why figuring that out would change anything other than make it better.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #864 on: April 13, 2016, 12:33:33 PM »
Really glad you're digging Affinity so much, BlackInk! :D

Have to say, for me I think it's on a par with The Mountain which I already absolutely adored and didn't think they'd top. First 5 listens, maybe more, I didn't think it was quite as brilliant but it really grows once some of the more unusual stuff sinks in and you get to know it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #865 on: April 13, 2016, 12:34:57 PM »
it's actually a measure in 3, a measure in 6, and then a measure in -2.  Does that help, Implode?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #866 on: April 13, 2016, 01:30:16 PM »
Really glad you're digging Affinity so much, BlackInk! :D

It's pure magic.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #867 on: April 13, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
it's actually a measure in 3, a measure in 6, and then a measure in -2.  Does that help, Implode?

:lol

No, no. Guys. I don't mean to say I hate the meter or anything. But it was a lot more fun for me when the chugging seemed kind of random. It's kind of like the same thing that happens when you listen to a song too many times. You already know everything, there's fewer things to grab your attention, and you tired it out. I don't mean to say it makes the song worse or anything. I still love the song; it's not ruined for me by any means.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #868 on: April 13, 2016, 11:12:24 PM »
Also, I'm about a week into it and Red Giant still messes with my mind.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #869 on: April 17, 2016, 08:48:08 PM »
EARTHRISE IS SO GOOD

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #870 on: April 17, 2016, 08:48:49 PM »
can we not keep talking about the album until it officially releases

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #871 on: April 18, 2016, 06:31:53 AM »
can we not keep talking about the album until it officially releases

just don't come here until the album comes out if it's such a huge problem for you

easy fix'd

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #872 on: April 18, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #873 on: April 18, 2016, 01:06:15 PM »
AFFINITY IS SO GOOD

FTFY

Also, I've been mostly quiet and waiting for the album to come out, but I'll say this. I was so nervous that this album wouldn't even be close to The Mountain because it was just so good, not to mention, all of Haken's albums so far have been anywhere from great to amazing. I was almost skeptical as to how long they could continue this caliber of quality output.

Affinity showed me that I should never doubt them again.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #874 on: April 18, 2016, 01:32:04 PM »
+1 on all that Implode said.