Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 314877 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #2170 on: June 08, 2020, 04:55:45 PM »
I couldn't help but wonder where the Boston and Blue Oyster Cult albums were (although I was not surprised since I don't think I've ever heard him mention either band).
Probably didn't bother with getting reissues since he more than likely still has the originals and didn't see the need to get the reissues of them.

Could be.  Is he a fan of either?  Again, I don't think I've ever heard him mention either, although there are so many bands that it's hard to mention them all. :lol  Given his musical preferences, I would be shocked if he didn't like both at least a little bit.

Here is a tweet where he talked about listening to Boston’s debut album a few years ago:

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/800440970118594560?s=21

Back when MP was in the band and they were doing cover albums, I always voted for Boston's debut. Thought that would work well on a two night stand in Boston.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2171 on: June 08, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »

Here is a tweet where he talked about listening to Boston’s debut album a few years ago:

:tup :tup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOzgIs9pT1A&feature=youtu.be

surprised nobody has commented on this. Mike is getting political. I don't necessarily like the song as Im not a john lennon fan, but I saw in the comments somebody recommended speeding it up to 1.75x speed to make it sound more punk. I tried that and it wasn't good. So I sped it up to 1.25 and I actually kind of dug it.

To be honest, it surprises me that he would do this given that he is in 828 bands and it could fracture relationships within them and/or drive some fans away, and those bands aren't exactly filling up arenas, but I can't blame anyone right now for feeling that way about a certain someone (who shall remain nameless since this isn't P/R).   

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2172 on: June 08, 2020, 08:28:34 PM »

surprised nobody has commented on this. Mike is getting political. I don't necessarily like the song as Im not a john lennon fan, but I saw in the comments somebody recommended speeding it up to 1.75x speed to make it sound more punk. I tried that and it wasn't good. So I sped it up to 1.25 and I actually kind of dug it.

That was... not good. :|
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2173 on: June 08, 2020, 10:23:22 PM »

:tup :tup

To be honest, it surprises me that he would do this given that he is in 828 bands and it could fracture relationships within them and/or drive some fans away, and those bands aren't exactly filling up arenas, but I can't blame anyone right now for feeling that way about a certain someone (who shall remain nameless since this isn't P/R).

I personally respect someone more for taking a stand when they have something to lose. I’m not gonna get into my opinions from the subject since this is P/R (which I refuse to take part in because this website is supposed to be an escape from all of the craziness in this world), but I do commend Portnoy for standing up for what he believes in over these past few weeks even if he pushes some fans away because of it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2174 on: June 08, 2020, 10:41:06 PM »
but I do commend Portnoy for standing up for what he believes in over these past few weeks even if he pushes some fans away because of it.

What pushed me away was his singing on that song :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Moor

• The more the merrier
« Reply #2175 on: June 09, 2020, 03:12:18 AM »
but I do commend Portnoy for standing up for what he believes in over these past few weeks even if he pushes some fans away because of it.

What pushed me away was his singing on that song :lol

:lol :lol :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #2176 on: June 09, 2020, 07:03:12 AM »

That was... not good. :|

Understatement

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2177 on: June 09, 2020, 07:47:59 AM »
I don't care about Mike's political opinion and I always thought it was smart of him to never post anything political. I'm surprised that he decided to now do so.

Apart from that, I don't know what he's trying to do with these covers  :lol I don't see myself (or anyone else) listening to this again in one year.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2178 on: June 09, 2020, 07:54:49 AM »
My only comment is how funny it is to see so many upset comments on his Facebook regarding that video. Sure a lot of MP's fans are probably a little bit more uh... domesticated... than they probably were in the early 90s... but I would still love to travel back in time to 1992 and tell them that one day they'll stop liking Mike Portnoy because he flipped off a video of... Donald Trump...  :biggrin:.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2179 on: June 09, 2020, 07:58:03 AM »
My only comment is how funny it is to see so many upset comments on his Facebook regarding that video. Sure a lot of MP's fans are probably a little bit more uh... domesticated... than they probably were in the early 90s... but I would still love to travel back in time to 1992 and tell them that one day they'll stop liking Mike Portnoy because he flipped off a video of... Donald Trump...  :biggrin:.

Hey, as long as he didn't kneel for our flag!

I thought it was fine. Not my favorite song and I thought his vocals really took down a peg, but he's just having fun. As far as I know he's not releasing this for purchase or making an album for 10 bucks of this stuff. It's just going for free on youtube. Let the man have his fun, I wish I could do that kind of stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2180 on: June 09, 2020, 08:03:50 AM »
Yeah I'll also add that I think it's more surprising it took MP this long to become a one-man cover band. He's got potential to be a full-time Youtuber.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #2181 on: June 09, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »

I thought it was fine. Not my favorite song and I thought his vocals really took down a peg, but he's just having fun. As far as I know he's not releasing this for purchase or making an album for 10 bucks of this stuff. It's just going for free on youtube. Let the man have his fun, I wish I could do that kind of stuff.

Yes. But he just did release a cover album you can buy for way too much money.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2182 on: June 09, 2020, 08:19:52 AM »
Everyone else sees this coming, right?

It's only a matter of time before he does some tour as the frontman with his kid on drums. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #2183 on: June 09, 2020, 08:20:56 AM »

Yes. But he just did release a cover album you can buy for way too much money.

Indeed! And I've been critical of that.

But these youtube vids are a different story.

I actually love watching many of these homemade youtube videos that bands/artists have been making during quarantine. I would hate for any artist to be so strictly limited in what they can do. Metallica's new Blackened, or seeing Lords of Lost (who I am not a huge fan of) doing the home videos, or Suicide Silence with Tatiana from Jinjer, or Sheryl Crow doing her weird song videos. Literally all of it is at least interesting, even if I don't end up digging it a ton. I just love to see artists get weird and try new things outside of their extremely controlled comfort zones.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2184 on: June 09, 2020, 08:37:13 AM »
A little obvious, perhaps.  I'm not the biggest fan of the strident, "revolutionary" Lennon, but that was decent. 

Amazing to me that those are Lennon's original words (at least the ones I checked; I didn't go through it line by line) and they were written in 1971, almost 50 years ago.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2185 on: June 09, 2020, 08:40:44 AM »
I never thought I'd see one of my former favorite drummers of all time dressed like a Vietnam war vet yelling about the President but this is the timeline we're in  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Adami

« Reply #2186 on: June 09, 2020, 08:45:19 AM »
I never thought I'd see one of my former favorite drummers of all time dressed like a Vietnam war vet yelling about the President but this is the timeline we're in  :lol

We're back to the 70's when that was common? :biggrin:
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #2187 on: June 09, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »

I can't wait for that new Zeppelin record!
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2188 on: June 09, 2020, 09:29:40 AM »
I wonder if he and Jon Schaffer know each other.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2189 on: June 09, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »
After seeing that video,  Portnoy is going all Roger Waters on us...meets Lennon.. :lol
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2190 on: June 09, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
 I love MP, and I'm pretty sure you've seen me defend him against a lot of criticism here, but this video is cringeworthy, both musically and as a political statement.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2191 on: June 09, 2020, 10:09:38 AM »

I can't wait for that new Zeppelin record!

Why is Ian Anderson yelling at that tall guy?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2192 on: June 09, 2020, 10:29:49 AM »

I would actually buy it, even though I don't dig a lot of it. I try to be a completist when it comes to my favorite bands. I own all of LaBrie's stuff including Winter Rose, Ayreon, etc. I own all of Myung's stuff. I own all of Charlie's, Kevin's, Derek's, and Petrucci's stuff. Hell, I even own stuff from Chris Cintron, the guy that was almost the frontman of DT before James. With Jordan and Mike, they release way too much, the majority of which I can't get into. I would probably buy a Mike solo album, even if it is just a bunch of covers, mainly for the novelty but hey, maybe he'll do a song I really dig.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2193 on: June 09, 2020, 10:53:59 AM »
With how prolific MP have been. Imaging you introducing MP to a friend and said friend goes to youtube and the first thing he listen is this song.

:rollin

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2194 on: June 09, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
but this video is cringeworthy, both musically and as a political statement.

It was rough. I thought it was a joke for the first thirty seconds or so then I realized it wasn't meant to be one......
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2195 on: June 09, 2020, 11:00:59 AM »

Finally just checked it out.  The song was decent.  I didn't care for the video portion.  But regardless of the side being taken, I tend to not care for one-sided political bashing in music.  But if he had made it more bipartisan (or perhaps "a-partisan" would be a more correct term?), and showed the president, and prominent democrats and republican politicians, and thus not taken as hard a side and made it about politicians in general, I would quite liked the message.

That said, I can't/don't begrudge him his stance at all.  I don't at all mind people taking a strong stance on one side of an issue, provided they are willing to discuss it and not dig in with a myopic "if you aren't for us, you are against us" mentality.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2196 on: June 09, 2020, 11:08:16 AM »
Lyrics (other than switching 'tricky dicky' to 'daddy Freddy') were exact.

A shame it wasn't sped up more to match the original, but I liked it.  I mean, he is asking for 'truth' from the biggest 'untruther' that ever lived.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:14:49 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2197 on: June 09, 2020, 12:13:07 PM »
Didn't even realize it was a cover.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2198 on: June 09, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »

Finally just checked it out.  The song was decent.  I didn't care for the video portion.  But regardless of the side being taken, I tend to not care for one-sided political bashing in music.  But if he had made it more bipartisan (or perhaps "a-partisan" would be a more correct term?), and showed the president, and prominent democrats and republican politicians, and thus not taken as hard a side and made it about politicians in general, I would quite liked the message.

That said, I can't/don't begrudge him his stance at all.  I don't at all mind people taking a strong stance on one side of an issue, provided they are willing to discuss it and not dig in with a myopic "if you aren't for us, you are against us" mentality.
So much this!   :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2199 on: June 09, 2020, 12:45:21 PM »
I actually enjoyed that cover. It was cool how he counterbalanced the grittiness and edginess of the song with snippets from All you need is love and Imagine, it reminds you of how amazing Lennon is. Also, even though I do not consider Mike a great singer, his rough voice actually served the song rather well.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2200 on: June 09, 2020, 01:55:02 PM »
Why? Just why?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2201 on: June 09, 2020, 02:14:25 PM »
Quote from: Mladen link=topic=19086.msg2670810#msg2670810 date=1591728321Also, even though I do not consider Mike a great singer, his rough voice actually served the song rather well.
[/quote

I agree.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2202 on: June 09, 2020, 07:12:11 PM »
Watching now, looks pretty interesting especially since I started collecting vinyl's a few years ago. I wonder if MP has a discogs account.

I'd much rather him talk about his old vinyl, CDs or DVDS.  Not really much of a fan of too much new in the way of vinyl.

That said I saw the first episode and really liked the Beatles section which is kind of an exception to the new vinyl rule.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2203 on: June 09, 2020, 07:14:43 PM »
Heads up for the LTE collectors, Japan only re-issues of LTE 1&2 in SHM-CD Mini-LP format released May 27 2020.
This format is highly sought after and sells out fast and then goes for ridiculous prices on discogs and ebay.

https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MICP-30121?s_ssid=e47e795eddaeb9a6ce
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/MICP-30122?s_ssid=e47e795eddaeb9a6ce

Still not convinced that these sound that much better than the normal Japanese releases but they seem to have a following.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2204 on: June 09, 2020, 07:18:17 PM »
After seeing that video,  Portnoy is going all Roger Waters on us...meets Lennon.. :lol

I didn't know he was this big of a Roger Waters fan.  ;D
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD