Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 443793 times)

Offline 425

Re: Haken v. Virus (now June 19th)
« Reply #4270 on: May 30, 2020, 09:35:41 AM »
I just wonder who this person is who cares enough about MP to tweet at him, but also doesn't know anything about Haken.

The only artists on that list who I think demonstrably had their profiles significantly elevated by MP would be Roine and Neal, and even there it's not about MP tweeting an endorsement, but about the fact that there are people who listened to Transatlantic because they liked DT, and then listened to Spock's Beard/The Flower Kings/Neal solo because they liked Transatlantic.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4271 on: May 30, 2020, 09:38:22 AM »
Agreed. There were definitely some of us who got into Neal and Roine thanks to Transatlantic, but they were already pretty well known within the underground prog scene (which I quickly found out when discovering them).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4272 on: May 30, 2020, 10:12:29 AM »
To be clear MP tweeting in support of his son's bands is not nepotism.

Next to None getting record deals, shows, tours, etc that they otherwise would aboslutely not have gotten is nepotism. You can argue all you want over whether it's the right thing or not for him to do, but it's still nepotism.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4273 on: May 30, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
I agree with Nicholas.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4274 on: May 30, 2020, 12:31:22 PM »
But MP didn't sign N2N, the record label did. Same for show promoters and the rest. It is not like MP works on the labels or has an agency to book tours.

MP exposed (promoted) his son band, but those in POWER could still have said no.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 01:57:27 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4275 on: May 30, 2020, 03:00:37 PM »

MP exposed (promoted) his son band, but those in POWER could still have said no.

Yes and no. MP's name is still big in prog labels. He also at that time had the Jim Pitulski connection with Inside Out.  Jim was DT's manager in the early days and was Inside Out's president at the time N2N was signed IIRC. Jim did leave I/O a year or two ago.   So it might not have been a direct nepotism for I/O to sign N2N, but the influence/connections were definitely there.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4276 on: May 30, 2020, 04:19:08 PM »
But MP didn't sign N2N, the record label did. Same for show promoters and the rest. It is not like MP works on the labels or has an agency to book tours.

Just because people could turn things down doesn't mean nepotism wasn't in play, there is an option to say no to basically anything.

I'll give you some direct examples of how MP was in direct control of things. Progressive Nation at Sea, many band conflicts, two of my big ones came on the final day when I had to choose to see Anathema OR Haken, Riverside OR Spock's Beard. Wouldn't you know both of Next to None's gigs were at times when no other shows on the ship. I'll give you one guess who had a big hand in scheduling that.

Shattered Fortress at Irving Plaza in NYC, Next to None opens the show. Sure, without Mike's influence there is an outside chance they could have gotten on anyway, but it's clear that when Mike's people booked the show it was written into the contract they'd have choice of opener and already knew who it would be. Yes, Irving Plaza could have said no deal, but no one was going to nuke what ended up being a sold out show over that.

Steve Harris does the same thing. Lauren Harris would never be opening for Iron Maiden without his direct intervention. Raven Age was at least in the genre ballpark, but you can't say that's not nepotism considering other recent opening acts are on the level of Dream Theater, Alice Cooper, and even Bullet For My Valentine.

Again, it's fair to argue that these folks should use their influence to get their kids ahead in the world, but it is clearly textbook nepotism.

For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4277 on: June 02, 2020, 02:31:22 AM »
A new (German) review mentions June 26th as the release date: http://www.musikreviews.de/reviews/2020/Haken/Virus/

Most likely a mistake, but curiously the band never acknowledged  the June 19th date in any of their recent promotion videos.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4278 on: June 03, 2020, 07:12:45 AM »
I've not heard anything about a further delay - as far as I'm aware the plan is still the 19th.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4279 on: June 03, 2020, 12:31:50 PM »
So... a Canadian online radio just streamed Messiah Complex...

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4280 on: June 03, 2020, 01:07:20 PM »
So... a Canadian online radio just streamed Messiah Complex...

Are they doing it more than once?  Is it OK for you to post a link if they are?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4281 on: June 03, 2020, 01:27:55 PM »
I'm 95% sure they shouldn't have done that, so please do not share any links here.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4282 on: June 03, 2020, 01:50:40 PM »
I'd heard about them planning to do that for a few days now... I wouldn't think they would be allowed to stream that, but either way I didn't listen to it.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4283 on: June 03, 2020, 02:02:52 PM »
Yeah, I saw them advertising it on reddit. I can wait two more weeks.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4284 on: June 03, 2020, 02:07:59 PM »
Is Next 2 None even a thing anymore? 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4285 on: June 03, 2020, 02:22:43 PM »
No.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4286 on: June 03, 2020, 02:26:23 PM »
Kind of makes me feel nepotism played a big role then, sure just speculation based on what happened, but I feel a true band that worked from the ground up themselves, got a record deal, and was able to play some big shows wouldn't just phase out so quickly.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4287 on: June 03, 2020, 02:29:05 PM »
maybe Nepotism Complex might have been a working title for Messiah Complex, who knows? (no, just joking)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4288 on: June 03, 2020, 02:31:48 PM »
Kind of makes me feel nepotism played a big role then, sure just speculation based on what happened, but I feel a true band that worked from the ground up themselves, got a record deal, and was able to play some big shows wouldn't just phase out so quickly.

Surely looks like it though.
Squ

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4289 on: June 03, 2020, 03:47:11 PM »
Portnoy's kid can play, and his style is very reminiscent of his pop's, but what I heard from Next to None was awful, awful shit.  They made Adrenaline Mob sound like Led Zeppelin. :eek :eek

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4290 on: June 03, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »
Portnoy's kid can play, and his style is very reminiscent of his pop's, but what I heard from Next to None was awful, awful shit.  They made Adrenaline Mob sound like Led Zeppelin. :eek :eek

All the kids could play. They are seriously great local (to me) talents. I will defend them as young musicians every day of the week.

What they lacked was great songwriting, which is understandable given their age, and I didn't like Thomas' vocal stylings through much of their music, particularly having a suburban white kid throwing angsty growls and shit at me.

All that said had they not been prematurely raised up by nepotism and from what I understand a couple of other wealthy families no one would know about them right now, which is fine. They would have spent time working on their songwriting, getting things together like so many young bands. And whenever they broke into a wider audience they likely would have had a much better reaction than what they got from any non-Portnoy bootlickers when they were dragged onto the national scene.

I've hung out with Thomas at Haken shows, he's an awesome dude and amazing keyboard player, and I've run into some of the other members at shows and had nice chats with them as well, and I have no problem with any of the people, but there is simply no denying in my book they were pushed into the limelight before they were properly ripened, with all the benefits and drawbacks that entails.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4291 on: June 03, 2020, 05:14:47 PM »
Nepotism? You mean a bunch of unknown teenagers that got Neal Morse and Bumblefoot to guest on their debut album didn't make it happen by their own merit? :rollin :rollin :rollin
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4292 on: June 03, 2020, 05:26:26 PM »
Nepotism? You mean a bunch of unknown teenagers that got Neal Morse and Bumblefoot to guest on their debut album didn't make it happen by their own merit? :rollin :rollin :rollin

:lol I didn't know this, since I never gave them a listen but yea, that's definitely a big sign there of it all.  And honestly, I don't really have a problem with it in general.  It's not like my parents never helped me out with something.  I got my first job out of college through my dad's former coworker.  However, I made a career out of it with my own work but everyone starts somewhere, nothing wrong with having someone help give you a head start.  At the end of the day, it's your own work that keeps you on the map.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4293 on: June 03, 2020, 07:55:57 PM »
I'm 95% sure they shouldn't have done that, so please do not share any links here.

Can we talk about the song if we did hear it though?
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4294 on: June 03, 2020, 09:38:28 PM »

I didn't know if it was legal or not here on the forum as far as pirated material goes, that's why I asked.  Of course I wouldn't want a link if it didn't have the band's blessing.  So no harm intended.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4295 on: June 04, 2020, 06:45:23 AM »
On a side note, speaking of nepotism, would we ever have heard of Jason Bonham or Sean Lennon had it not been for their Dad's fame?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4296 on: June 04, 2020, 06:51:01 AM »
Their fathers were not alive to promote their music.
Squ

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4297 on: June 04, 2020, 07:06:33 AM »
On a side note, speaking of nepotism, would we ever have heard of Jason Bonham or Sean Lennon had it not been for their Dad's fame?

Yeah, that's not really nepotism. Yes, chances are the family name got them exposure and opportunity they might not otherwise have had, but there was no one really actively assisting or pulling strings for them.

And I can't speak for Sean, but Jason at least is a really good drummer who absolutely stands on his own now.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4298 on: June 04, 2020, 07:16:33 AM »
Does Dweezil count?
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4299 on: June 04, 2020, 08:28:05 AM »

Yeah, that's not really nepotism. Yes, chances are the family name got them exposure and opportunity they might not otherwise have had, but there was no one really actively assisting or pulling strings for them.

And I can't speak for Sean, but Jason at least is a really good drummer who absolutely stands on his own now.

Well, he does have a cover band playing his father's music. But yeah, he's in other bands as well, I know.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4300 on: June 04, 2020, 08:43:34 AM »
Dweezil, like the others, are more cashing in on their father's fame, music, and name recognition. And just like with classic nepotism you can draw your own line on if that is ethical or not, or what goes to far.

But at least from my understanding of nepotism that would be is Frank was still alive and gave Dweezil a spot opening for him, or a spot in his band before he was really qualified for those spots.

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4301 on: June 04, 2020, 09:36:13 AM »
Dweezil, like the others, are more cashing in on their father's fame, music, and name recognition. And just like with classic nepotism you can draw your own line on if that is ethical or not, or what goes to far.

But at least from my understanding of nepotism that would be is Frank was still alive and gave Dweezil a spot opening for him, or a spot in his band before he was really qualified for those spots.

Thought that as well.

So it's more Steve Harris' Daughters' band opening for Iron Maiden.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4302 on: June 04, 2020, 09:45:11 AM »
This happens in real life so I don't see a big deal.  They may get the door open for them but they have to be good at it to stay in the business.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Ben_Jamin

« Reply #4303 on: June 04, 2020, 10:02:18 AM »
  :rollin

This is what happens when the label decides to delay the release, that was supposed to be tomorrow.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4304 on: June 04, 2020, 10:05:51 AM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC