Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 460766 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #665 on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:31 AM »
The sad thing is, he's done so much to ruin the series that nobody can even say for certain whether this is a joke or not.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #666 on: August 31, 2011, 10:42:26 AM »
The sad thing is, he's done so much to ruin the series that nobody can even say for certain whether this is a joke or not.

True. I could buy the Vader thing based on that he already did a Vader NOOOOOOOO which he for some unknown reason thought was a good idea. But the Obi Wan scream is just...........no, I just can't buy that one at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:17 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #668 on: August 31, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
:lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: August 31, 2011, 01:34:15 PM »
Found a few more.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #671 on: August 31, 2011, 03:49:02 PM »
 :rollin

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #672 on: August 31, 2011, 04:12:22 PM »
I'm sorry but those videos are so fail George it's not even funny.

When I'm older,
I'm going to save the original VHS copies I have and show my kids those.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #673 on: August 31, 2011, 04:22:40 PM »
Hahahahaha.

Is it sad that I'd honestly believe the ones with the Padme ghost and the burnt-up Anikan?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: August 31, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
Hahahahaha.

Is it sad that I'd honestly believe the ones with the Padme ghost and the burnt-up Anikan?
They are pretty likely unfortunately...

Offline TL

« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: August 31, 2011, 06:44:34 PM »
I spit out my imaginary drink.  :lol

Offline Lionheart1827

« Reply #677 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:52 PM »
Looks like the ROTJ "No" additions are confirmed from Lucasfilm.

https://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7234

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #678 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:58 PM »

True. I could buy the Vader thing based on that he already did a Vader NOOOOOOOO which he for some unknown reason thought was a good idea. But the Obi Wan scream is just...........no, I just can't buy that one at all.

Well, buy it, cause that new krayt dragon scream is in the Sounds of Star Wars book released last year.

As for the Vader Nos, THAT is where I draw the line.  Still holding out that it's not real because it's so poorly done.  The clips are clearly cut from Vader's dialogue in the other films, and lines sit on top of the existing audio track instead of being part of the mix.  If it's real however, I'm DONE defending Lucas.  This isn't a matter of updating the look of something or "we didn't have the technology to do this back then", it's changing the most important scene in the entire series for no good reason.  Everything I backed the guy on, the prequels, alterations, they all made sense to how I viewed the films as a whole.  But this spits in the face of all of that.  Anakin's silent inner struggle and return to redemption was the whole point of Return of the Jedi and why the prequels were even made, so why go back on that now?  

Another big complaint I have, (if these leaks are true, and it appears they are) is that LFL flat out fucking lied in their press release.  The saber color/timing issues went completely uncorrected except for a few shots, and the same can be said for the garbage mattes.

What's infuriating is that they clearly took a lot of time to put these together since they can do things like put a rock in front of R2 to hide behind, pu a dug in Jabba's Palace, and have ewoks blink, so why didn't they address what they flat out said they would?

edit:  Well, that's that.  They ought to be ashamed. 

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #679 on: August 31, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
It's official. Lucas has gone off his rocker.

And that just saved me 90 dollars. sweeet

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #680 on: August 31, 2011, 07:12:28 PM »
It's official. Lucas has gone off his rocker.

And that just saved me 90 dollars. sweeet

The only reason I have to buy it now is to see those deleted scenes.  Maybe I'll just find them on YouTube.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #681 on: August 31, 2011, 07:14:25 PM »
I think Lucas outright enjoys messing with Star Wars fans.  Or, at the very least, he feels spiteful towards them.  There's no creative debate to be had about the lightsabers.  The color correction on the 2004 DVD's was wrong due to some kind of major oversight, and given how lightsabers look in the other Star Wars films, it's only logical to correct them.  So what's the reason for not doing so other than sticking it to the fans?
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #682 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
I know it probably sounds pretty stupid to say, but sticking it to the fans like that seems rather petty and unnecessary to me.  I mean what's the point?  It's just going to make fans complain more anyway.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #683 on: August 31, 2011, 07:19:18 PM »
As horrible as I feel for saying this.... I think we'll be getting shitty remakes until Lucas dies.

Which hopefully isn't too far off into the future....  :tdwn

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: August 31, 2011, 07:20:54 PM »
Holy shit. I weep.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #685 on: August 31, 2011, 07:21:46 PM »
I know it probably sounds pretty stupid to say, but sticking it to the fans like that seems rather petty and unnecessary to me.  I mean what's the point?  It's just going to make fans complain more anyway.

Assuming he's sticking it to the fans, the reason is simple - He wants to prove that he's the one who controls what's in the films.  He talks all the time in interviews about how it's the director's prerogative to do what he wants with the films.  Listening to fan feedback would be admitting someone's opinions other than his own have influence on the film.

I don't know George Lucas, but why else would he do what he does?
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #686 on: August 31, 2011, 07:22:18 PM »
As horrible as I feel for saying this.... I think we'll be getting shitty remakes until Lucas dies.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #687 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:55 PM »
I think Lucas outright enjoys messing with Star Wars fans.  Or, at the very least, he feels spiteful towards them.  There's no creative debate to be had about the lightsabers.  The color correction on the 2004 DVD's was wrong due to some kind of major oversight, and given how lightsabers look in the other Star Wars films, it's only logical to correct them.  So what's the reason for not doing so other than sticking it to the fans?

And making a press release announcing said changes as the selling point.

Watch it.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: August 31, 2011, 07:37:29 PM »
Watch it.

I don't think he's going to watch those movies any time soon.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #689 on: August 31, 2011, 07:39:10 PM »
Watch it.

I don't think he's going to watch those movies any time soon.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #690 on: August 31, 2011, 07:48:32 PM »
Now that our oh-so-clever zinger is out of the way, I hope the forum is not okay with wishing somebody dead.  I'm not happy either, but come on.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #691 on: August 31, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
Now that our oh-so-clever zinger is out of the way, I hope the forum is not okay with wishing somebody dead.  I'm not happy either, but come on.

I'm not okay with hoping George Lucas dies.  Then he shall become more powerful than we could possibly imagine.
Over and over again

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: August 31, 2011, 08:02:31 PM »
I hope the forum is not okay with wishing somebody dead.  I'm not happy either, but come on.

I'm sure that even though there'd be certain benefits to the lack of GL no body is literally wishing death upon him. I just made the joke because your 'watch it' comment seemed to imply that you took it a little too personally.

I'm not okay with hoping George Lucas dies.  Then he shall become more powerful than we could possibly imagine.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #693 on: August 31, 2011, 08:23:14 PM »
George Lucas is the prime example of why producers are absolutely necessary when dealing with most (not all) creative minds.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: August 31, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
Gotta save my VHS trilogy. Will be worth a fortune one day.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #695 on: August 31, 2011, 08:27:16 PM »
I hope the forum is not okay with wishing somebody dead.  I'm not happy either, but come on.

I'm sure that even though there'd be certain benefits to the lack of GL no body is literally wishing death upon him. I just made the joke because your 'watch it' comment seemed to imply that you took it a little too personally.

Yeah, obviously I don't wish any harm upon him... but if his death is gonna be the only thing that stops these horrible edits, then... well, I guess there is a silver lining to every black cloud.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #696 on: August 31, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

Well yeah, Lucas has been a huge inspiration in a number of different areas of my life, and he is a fellow human being.  I understand you're joking around, but it was worded kind of harshly in my opinion.  Hoping someone dies soon doesn't sit right with me.

And that's how zingers are done, folks.  :lol

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #697 on: August 31, 2011, 08:55:28 PM »

Well yeah, Lucas has been a huge inspiration in a number of different areas of my life, and he is a fellow human being.  I understand you're joking around, but it was worded kind of harshly in my opinion.  Hoping someone dies soon doesn't sit right with me.

Well, sorry to offend you then. Was just being a bit sarcastic, wasn't trying to offend anyone with my remark.

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #698 on: August 31, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »
As a great man who really understood Star Wars once said of the prequels, "You know what?  I'm starting to get used to this fucking crap not making any sense"

Seriously, I just cannot care anymore.  The 97 special editions were crassly ostentatious, and the prequel elements needlessly shoehorned into the 2004 DVD release were cringe worthy, but at this point, I cannot even bring myself to care.  I can't be emotionally invested in something when it is obvious the man who is responsible for it has no emotional attachment to his own accomplishments, and isn't going to change his mind about "improving" his past achievements.  If this is what Lucas really wants future generations to remember him for as a film maker, so be it.  It's his choice and he can ruin his reputation however the hell he wants.  It is a travesty that the originals are being reduced obscure collectibles status, but quite frankly, between fan edits, the OT DVD, the THX remastered VHS and other such releases, they will be out there in some form for the fans who actually remember and love them.  Lucas clearly does not understand what made Star Wars so special in the first place.  All he cares about it doing fancier shit on his computer.  This of course begs the question:  why not just make more movies?  Why does he have to go back and alter classic films that didn't need to be updated and "fixed"?  Honestly, I would let the man make crappy prequels and sequels to his heart's content if it meant that the originals would be left untouched.  But no, he has to continue to revise the original trilogy just to make them stylistically symmetrical with the prequels.

So where does this end, George?  Will all the sets and backgrounds and matte paintings and creatures and droids and space ship models be completely redone in CGI so that the entire Original Trilogy looks every bit as fake and lifeless as the prequels?  What about the characters?  Will Harrison Ford be replaced by some green frog alien thing like you originally envisioned?  Will Anthony Daniel's C3PO become some slimey, used car salesman type?  Luke with a robot head?  Leia with full cybernetics from the waist down?  And what of the dialogue.  Will Han tell Leia that he loves her at the end of Empire, just because it's more "romantic"?  Instead of zen-like wisdom and thought provoking lines that actually impact our view on life, will we "finally" get to see a flashy CGI Yoda teach Luke how to lightsaber fight on Degobah by doing triple back flips off the sides of trees?  WHERE DOES IT END?!

I'm not buying this "enhanced" Blu-Ray release.  I have already owned this trilogy three times in the past two decades, and the first edition was still the best.   If, by some slim chance, the original versions of these films get released on Blu-Ray (in anamorphic widescreen this time!), then I will buy those.  But I will no longer throw away my hard earned cash, or even ask relatives to do the same for me on birthdays or Yule-Time, on these incessant, pointless and, quite frankly, insulting revisions of the films we all enjoyed in our youth.  The line has been crossed to many times, and I will not see three of my favourite movies altered yet again.  Lucas can do what he wants to his legacy, but for me, I will just continue to live in the past, and remember a Star Wars that was about more then just being visually "bigger and better-er".
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 09:11:09 PM by The Dark Master »

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #699 on: August 31, 2011, 09:20:45 PM »
For someone claiming not to care, that was quite the rant.