Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 551373 times)

Online The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4340 on: June 07, 2020, 10:06:16 PM »
https://youtu.be/YkAWykElwbg

Neal Morse "Lockdown Update" part 1 of 3. Part 2 to post on June 10th.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4341 on: June 08, 2020, 05:09:03 PM »
I saw that. Pretty cool.

I guess he is good with everyone knowing the name of his forthcoming solo album now since he referenced by name at one point.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4342 on: June 08, 2020, 05:30:52 PM »
I saw that. Pretty cool.

I guess he is good with everyone knowing the name of his forthcoming solo album now since he referenced by name at one point.

Are you talking about Sola Gratia a sequel to Sola Scriptura?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4343 on: June 08, 2020, 05:31:28 PM »
Yes, sir.  :tup :tup

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4344 on: June 08, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »
I saw that. Pretty cool.

Wow :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4345 on: June 08, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
I saw that. Pretty cool.

I didn't see the whole thing, but did I get this right: this is really happening?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Mladen

« Reply #4346 on: June 09, 2020, 12:25:12 AM »
Timestamp, please.  ;D

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4347 on: June 09, 2020, 03:55:35 AM »
Jesus Christ The Exorcist - Live at Morsefest 2018

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/tfyhhk/neal-morse-jesus-christ-the-exorcist-live-at-morsefest-2018

I posted this link 5 days ago because I thought it was an official release. But it's not working now. Does anyone know anything about it? Is highresaudio reliable?

I've checked the official channels and there's no mention about it.

btw, I'm sorry for the link.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4348 on: June 09, 2020, 03:57:05 AM »
I saw that. Pretty cool.

Interesting

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4349 on: June 09, 2020, 06:51:02 AM »
Timestamp, please.  ;D

He mentioned the name at around 5:35.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4350 on: June 09, 2020, 10:13:07 AM »
Timestamp, please.  ;D

He mentioned the name at around 5:35.

And he talked about it in more depth in the IC newsletter

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4351 on: June 09, 2020, 10:45:17 AM »
When he does the live debut of it at Morsesfest this year, I won't be surprised if that night also sees a Sola Scriptura medley of some sort.  Ideally, it would be cool to see them play both back-to-back, but Sola Scriptura has already been played in full at a Morsefest.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4352 on: June 09, 2020, 10:52:37 AM »

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/tfyhhk/neal-morse-jesus-christ-the-exorcist-live-at-morsefest-2018

I posted this link 5 days ago because I thought it was an official release. But it's not working now. Does anyone know anything about it? Is highresaudio reliable?

Yes, this is not an official release, it was brought to the attention of the band and they contacted the sources where it was being commercialized.

This release won't come out until 2021

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4353 on: June 09, 2020, 11:32:16 AM »
Anyone here has questions for Neal? I will be interviewing him next June 19th.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 02:24:50 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4354 on: June 09, 2020, 12:50:08 PM »

Yes, this is not an official release, it was brought to the attention of the band and they contacted the sources where it was being commercialized.

Thank you for letting me know.  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4355 on: June 09, 2020, 03:06:58 PM »

Please ask them if there any plans to re-release any of his solo albums on vinyl.  Feel free to get specific and ask him about One, ? and T2 (the ones I want :P).

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4356 on: June 09, 2020, 07:07:23 PM »

When is he going to post more videos of him playing a song that he loves and going all fanboy over it.....

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4357 on: June 09, 2020, 10:58:26 PM »

Please ask them if there any plans to re-release any of his solo albums on vinyl.  Feel free to get specific and ask him about One, ? and T2 (the ones I want :P).

Question for ya, regarding vinyl versions of his earlier solo albums - Would you want the normal One on vinyl, or the expanded 11-song version with all the B-Side songs put back in place? While I'm not big on vinyl owning/collecting, I wouldn't mind getting a One Special Edition vinyl, printed on some blue-and-white marble vinyl!
Of course, it would have to be a triple vinyl, and I'd make it like this:
Side 1 - 18:22 (The Creation)
Side 2 - 20:19 (Back To The Garden, The Man's Gone, Nothing To Believe, Author Of Confusion)
Side 3 - 17:58 (The Separated Man)
Side 4 - 20:58 (Cradle To The Grave, Help Me | The Spirit And The Flesh, King Jesus)
Side 5 - 14:58 (Father Of Forgiveness, Reunion)
Side 6 - 21:22 (What Is Life?, Where The Streets Have No Name, Day After Day, Chris Carmichael's Aria, I'm Free/Sparks)

It'd be a HEFTY set, but I'm sure it would be gorgeous.

Conversely, making the Question Mark album into a vinyl might be tight, as splitting the album in two gives you 27:18 and 29:05, which runs a bit long per side of vinyl. I suppose they could make it a double record and fill the fourth side with the Question Mark sessions' covers (originally released on Cover To Cover), though those add up to 29:30. So with a total of 85:53, I suppose it could make a double album, though splitting it would difficult...would split Side 1 at the end of Sweet Elation and start Side 2 with In The Fire?

And as for Testimony 2, it would definitely have to be a triple vinyl, no two ways around it. Part 6 would be Side 1, Part 7 Side 2, and Part 8 would have to be split between Sides 3 and 4 (between Road Dog Blues and It's For You), with the other three songs making up Sides 5 (Absolute Beginner and Supernatural) and 6 (Seeds Of Gold).

The *real* tricky one might be Testimony, given how long it is.
Side 1 - The Land Of Beginning Again > Colder In The Sun
Side 2 - Sleeping Jesus > Wasted Life
Side 3 - Overture No. 2 > Somber Days
Side 4 - Long Story > Sing It High
Side 5 - Moving In My Heart > The Storm Before The Calm
Side 6 - Oh, To Feel Him > The Land Of Beginning Again
It messes up some of the "Part" splits, but it's the best way to squeeze all the music into vinyl and make it six sides instead of 7 or 8, and each side doesn't go past 25 minutes (the longest being Side 4 at 24:05).

...Yeah, I spent way too much time thinking about how hypothetical vinyls could be printed for someone who doesn't even collect a lot of vinyl, or even own a record player, but I like thinking about these things. It's like a game or puzzle to me.

Now, as for his other albums, Sola Scriptura would be an easy double album (Sides 1 and 2 being The Door, Side 3 being The Conflict, and Side 4 with Heaven In My Heart and The Conclusion), and Lifeline could be a triple vinyl (if you include the special edition bonus disc cover songs and B-Sides). That leaves Momentum, which would have to have it's epic split across two sides (why does Neal keep making these impossible-to-fit-on-one-side-of-vinyl length songs?!?).

Either way, a lot of the music for any of these albums would have to be re-worked a bit for where things segue and split and crossfade (like on Question Mark, Sola, Testimony 1 and 2, and the epics on Lifeline and Momentum). The question is - would Neal (or Rich) want to bother with such a task for the possibility of selling enough vinyls to off-set the cost of producing them?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4358 on: June 10, 2020, 02:35:32 AM »

Question for ya, regarding vinyl versions of his earlier solo albums - Would you want the normal One on vinyl, or the expanded 11-song version with all the B-Side songs put back in place? While I'm not big on vinyl owning/collecting, I wouldn't mind getting a One Special Edition vinyl, printed on some blue-and-white marble vinyl!
Of course, it would have to be a triple vinyl, and I'd make it like this:
Side 1 - 18:22 (The Creation)
Side 2 - 20:19 (Back To The Garden, The Man's Gone, Nothing To Believe, Author Of Confusion)
Side 3 - 17:58 (The Separated Man)
Side 4 - 20:58 (Cradle To The Grave, Help Me | The Spirit And The Flesh, King Jesus)
Side 5 - 14:58 (Father Of Forgiveness, Reunion)
Side 6 - 21:22 (What Is Life?, Where The Streets Have No Name, Day After Day, Chris Carmichael's Aria, I'm Free/Sparks)

It'd be a HEFTY set, but I'm sure it would be gorgeous.

Conversely, making the Question Mark album into a vinyl might be tight, as splitting the album in two gives you 27:18 and 29:05, which runs a bit long per side of vinyl. I suppose they could make it a double record and fill the fourth side with the Question Mark sessions' covers (originally released on Cover To Cover), though those add up to 29:30. So with a total of 85:53, I suppose it could make a double album, though splitting it would difficult...would split Side 1 at the end of Sweet Elation and start Side 2 with In The Fire?

And as for Testimony 2, it would definitely have to be a triple vinyl, no two ways around it. Part 6 would be Side 1, Part 7 Side 2, and Part 8 would have to be split between Sides 3 and 4 (between Road Dog Blues and It's For You), with the other three songs making up Sides 5 (Absolute Beginner and Supernatural) and 6 (Seeds Of Gold).

The *real* tricky one might be Testimony, given how long it is.
Side 1 - The Land Of Beginning Again > Colder In The Sun
Side 2 - Sleeping Jesus > Wasted Life
Side 3 - Overture No. 2 > Somber Days
Side 4 - Long Story > Sing It High
Side 5 - Moving In My Heart > The Storm Before The Calm
Side 6 - Oh, To Feel Him > The Land Of Beginning Again
It messes up some of the "Part" splits, but it's the best way to squeeze all the music into vinyl and make it six sides instead of 7 or 8, and each side doesn't go past 25 minutes (the longest being Side 4 at 24:05).

...Yeah, I spent way too much time thinking about how hypothetical vinyls could be printed for someone who doesn't even collect a lot of vinyl, or even own a record player, but I like thinking about these things. It's like a game or puzzle to me.

Now, as for his other albums, Sola Scriptura would be an easy double album (Sides 1 and 2 being The Door, Side 3 being The Conflict, and Side 4 with Heaven In My Heart and The Conclusion), and Lifeline could be a triple vinyl (if you include the special edition bonus disc cover songs and B-Sides). That leaves Momentum, which would have to have it's epic split across two sides (why does Neal keep making these impossible-to-fit-on-one-side-of-vinyl length songs?!?).

Either way, a lot of the music for any of these albums would have to be re-worked a bit for where things segue and split and crossfade (like on Question Mark, Sola, Testimony 1 and 2, and the epics on Lifeline and Momentum). The question is - would Neal (or Rich) want to bother with such a task for the possibility of selling enough vinyls to off-set the cost of producing them?

-Marc.

Don't worry, I often think about the same things :D But I actually collect the vinyls in case they ever come out  :lol

Some thoughts:
Testimony has already been released on vinyl. (https://www.discogs.com/de/Neal-Morse-Testimony/release/13751369)
I'd love the expanded version of One. If I remember correctly, the CD-released version doesn't really fit on two vinyls anyway.
? would have to be split across three sides, which is a shame, but it doesn't work any other way.
I had the same thought about Sola Scriptura. That would work perfectly.

Jorge, please ask Neal that!!! Tell him, we've been putting a lot of thought into this for him and we'll help him! If it doesn't pay off, I'll buy two of each  :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4359 on: June 10, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
I'd love an ETA on the Morsefest releases.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4360 on: June 10, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »

Given that Neal likes to write with some sort of 'concept' in mind.....I'd ask (and am curious) if he has ever given thought to or would consider writing a concept album telling the story of (Biblical) David? It's an incredible story with many great moments and some very troubling moments that would seemingly 'fit' the concept approach he often takes.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4361 on: June 10, 2020, 11:16:18 AM »
https://youtu.be/tu2YCJbjo6Y

Part 2 of 3 has been posted this morning, with lots of info about Sola Gratia, and a bit more about TA5, which has yet to enter mixing with Rich (as he is currently finishing up Sola Gratia).

One interesting tidbit is that Mike and Neal had originally wanted Morsefest 2020 to feature Transatlantic, and now all we can do is imagine what that hypothetical Morsefest might have been like...

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4362 on: June 10, 2020, 03:52:41 PM »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of how difficult it might be to put some of his albums on vinyl due to length and the way the albums are sequenced, with there often being no stops, but I'd still like the question posed to him anyway.

As for One, Marc, the way the album was released without the bonus tracks is the best way. I am a big fan of Back to the Garden and King Jesus, but feel their work better on their own rather than in the context and flow of the normal record.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 08:22:52 AM by KevShmev »

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4363 on: June 11, 2020, 08:14:29 AM »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought of how difficult it might be to put some of his albums on vinyl due to length and the way the albums are sequenced, with their often being no stops, but I'd still like the question posed to him anyway.

As for One, Marc, the way the album was released without the bonus tracks is the best way. I am a big fan of Back to the Garden and King Jesus, but feel their work better on their own rather than in the context and flow of the normal record.

Oh no  :angry: I want ALL of it on vinyl  ;D

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4364 on: June 12, 2020, 08:34:16 AM »
https://youtu.be/9b7oYPS180k

Last part of the interview, in which Neal says this:
Today, I launch the last part of my Lockdown Updates. I talk about Morsefest 2020 plans and why we’ve gone ahead and are running what will be a different, but I believe very special, event this year. View here: http://ow.ly/TdaM30qOUw1

Tickets for MF 2020: http://ow.ly/MDAQ30qOUw2

Sola Gratia seems to be coming out a week before Morsefest 2020, and on Waterfall a week before that.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4365 on: June 12, 2020, 10:02:45 AM »
September... that's still a looooong time  :'(

I listened to Sola Scriptura today and yesterday. I haven't heard it in like a year or two. Man what a fantastic album.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4366 on: June 12, 2020, 10:10:56 AM »
Waterfall (the song) reminds me a lot of Genesis' Entangled. Anyone else hear it?

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #4367 on: June 12, 2020, 10:34:00 AM »
Waterfall (the song) reminds me a lot of Genesis' Entangled. Anyone else hear it?

Primarily it reminds me of Crosby, Stills & Nash. But I know what you mean. Guitar, keys and 6/8.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4368 on: June 12, 2020, 12:45:33 PM »

Neal has said in the interview video today that the JCTE Morsefest show will be released in December this year.

-Marc.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #4369 on: June 13, 2020, 07:40:55 AM »
I'm curious how they will release all the other Morsefest stuff from 2018 and 2019. Neal has now said that the next Flying Colors live disc will have the London show they recorded and additional material from Morsefest 2019 (with a string quartet and such) as well. So unlike Similutude of a Dream, which saw two separate releases, they are limiting themselves to a single live release covering both the Morsefest performance and the regular tour. The Voices of the Beard show from Morsefest 2018 was already released on DVD by Neal himself. Going by the track listing that's made it to the net from Frontiers already, the Jesus Christ musical performance from Morsefest 2018 will be the only thing included on that Blu-ray when it comes out this year, which would leave the 2018 performance of The Great Nothing with Nick D'Virgilio in the can. I hope it'll be added as a bonus to something later - maybe the Morsefest 2019 recording of The Great Adventure, which would help differentiate that from the Brno live disc.

I'm still hoping for another Spock's Beard reunion show that would cover more classic Beard stuff - would be so great to have that on Blu-ray complementing the Snow live set from 2016. Neal has previously said he's open to something like that and he sure is running out of solo stuff without repeating material from earlier Morsefest shows, so I'm really hoping for a big SB show in the future.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 07:57:01 AM by Kyo »
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4370 on: June 13, 2020, 07:47:18 AM »
Hmmm, I hadn't thought about The Great Nothing.  That will be disappointing if Night 2 of Morsefest 2018 is released and that song is not included.

Looking ahead to future Morsefests, assuming concerts get back to some sort of normalcy next year (which might be a big assumption), I would think 2021 could feature either Transatlantic (depending on when the 5th album is released and when they tour on it) or Neal Morse Band (since I suspect doing their next album has to be in the plans for 2021).

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #4371 on: June 13, 2020, 08:14:57 AM »
While the release date is clearly outdated by now, this looks like it came directly from Frontiers (cover art, track listing and all):
https://bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-filme/146695-neal_morse_jesus_christ_the_exorcist_live_at_morsefest_2018

Who knows, maybe The Great Nothing is considered bonus material and that's why it's not listed. On the other hand, musically I think it would be a better fit with a new NMB live release.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4372 on: June 13, 2020, 08:23:53 AM »
Maybe, but it was not performed by the Neal Morse Band (Portnoy was absent), so who knows?  The release of Neal's stuff is getting kind of random anyway, with some getting proper DVD/Blu-ray releases, some getting released on his Waterfall app, and some only being released to the Inner Circle peeps.  I can't even keep track anymore. :lol :lol

Online The Letter M

« Reply #4373 on: June 13, 2020, 09:17:36 AM »
RE: Future Morsefests - considering that Mike and Neal wanted to do Transatlantic for 2020 when they were brainstorming about it earlier this year (January, I believe Neal said), I would not be surprised if Neal announced a Transatlantic Morsefest for 2021 right after 2020 is done. He'll probably even give the 70 folks who show up for 2020 a special heads-up discount for 2021 if they want (cuz that sounds like something he might do for those fans  :lol ). If Morsefest 2021 does end up being Transatlantic, I could see them playing all of their first two albums the first night (since that hasn't been done before, and it would be cool to hear "Mystery Train" and "Suite Charlotte Pike" as originally played on the album without the Beatles medleys attached), with a Whirlwind Medley encore, and for the second night, all of Kaleidoscope and their fifth album. Maybe they could play "Spinning" as well to make the shows extra special!

If Morsefest 2021 doesn't end up being Transatlantic, then it will definitely be another NMB weekend. I think it was either Randy or Bill who recently said that they had planned to meet up this summer to start work on their next album, and they'll probably still discuss it remotely via Skype/Zoom, and send demos around. I would not be surprised if they get together right before or right after Morsefest to write/record their next album. I'd suggest right after, so that they'd all be warmed-up and hyped from the shows, and they could carry that energy into the studio for their next album.

Other than TA and NMB, I'm not sure what Morsefest 2021 could possibly be. It seems like Neal won't ever play all of Lifeline, and I'm not sure how exciting seeing all of Momentum could get. They also practically covered most of The Grand Experiment already, and have released all of those songs over various releases (even the bonus tracks), but if Neal wanted to do a Momentum & TGE weekend for Morsefest, I wouldn't be too terribly upset. After all, I own 3 complete live recordings of Testimony (two from 2003, and then Morsefest 2014), so I would not mind getting all the Momentum/TGE songs again on future live releases.

-Marc.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4374 on: June 13, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »

Neal has said in the interview video today that the JCTE Morsefest show will be released in December this year.

-Marc.

Cool, they were aiming for a Jan/Feb release. But December is great for me too!