Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 641978 times)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #7000 on: May 11, 2019, 03:24:53 PM »
I hope they decide to screw with everyone.

Have tons of personal battles ABOUT to happen, and then Arya comes in and kills the bad one every single time.

From literally out of nowhere!   :angel:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7001 on: May 11, 2019, 05:19:37 PM »
The series ends with Arya killing Arya and everyone is mindfucked.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #7002 on: May 11, 2019, 05:20:14 PM »
The series ends with Arya killing Arya and everyone is mindfucked.

Arya kills Arya, and everyone else in the world drops dead like the walkers did.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7003 on: May 12, 2019, 02:34:37 AM »
Some other wacky moments:

Cersei: "If you have any last words, now it's the time"
Missandei: "The queen is dead, long live the queen" *grabs her and pushes her off the wall in a murder-suicide coup*

---------------

Cersei: "If you have any last words, now it's the time"
Missandei: "Dracarys"
Drogon in the distance: "Oh, that's my cue" *attacks the gates*
Dany: "NO!!! WAIT!!! NO!!! WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE DOING! THEY HAVE THE BALLISTAS! STOOOOOP"

Chaos and impromptu battles ensue. Drogon is probably shot dead at the first attack.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Adami

« Reply #7004 on: May 12, 2019, 11:10:53 AM »
I actually was wondering why Miss Sunday didn’t grab Cersei and jump.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7005 on: May 12, 2019, 11:56:41 AM »
I actually was wondering why Miss Sunday didn’t grab Cersei and jump.

She should have tried and failed.

Probably she was too distraught, or she thought that she'd have made Dany and all the others a target.

Anyway, just to cheer you up: some questions to one of the authors....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/game-of-thrones-season-8-director-questions_n_5cd45cb5e4b0796a95d84ece?guccounter=1

In short:

- Euron "didn't pay attention" to the mention of Tyrion that Cersei was pregnant. He didn't pay attention. They literally wrote a plot point without realizing they have done so, and they wave it away just like they did with the ambush on the dragon.

- We didn't see the reaction of Sansa and Arya to the Jon parentage reveal because "we've already seen it twice". Which, narratively, I can also understand.... but it's their FREAKING SISTERS who discover they are cousins and that their father kept a secret his entire life!!!

- Jon in the crypts (teaser pre-season) sees a statue of himself older, does it mean he'll live? "Don't look too much into that".

Geez. I've just seen a comedy sitcom, The Good Place, and the final episode of the first season left me floored because of a clever plot point. A 20 minutes sitcom that makes you laugh. Their authors surprised me and made me realize how clever the show was. And the people involved with the biggest show of our generations make things happen that can be explained with characters literally forgetting or not paying attention.

Uh well, enough negativity, let's hope that against all hope we're in for a mindblowing episode that will reasonate for ages to come  :metal they still gave us Hardhome, the loot train attack and Olenna's speech among other things, there must be hope!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7006 on: May 12, 2019, 12:03:20 PM »

- Euron "didn't pay attention" to the mention of Tyrion that Cersei was pregnant. He didn't pay attention. They literally wrote a plot point without realizing they have done so, and they wave it away just like they did with the ambush on the dragon.

No offense, but that is an absurd criticism.  To have him react on the spot to the news would have been like watching an afternoon soap opera.  "Oh my gosh, someone else is the father!"  Euron has never been driven by wanting the queen to have his baby (he didn't even know till right before that scene), so it was far too irrelevant of a plot point to have been addressed on the spot, in that moment last week.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7007 on: May 12, 2019, 12:16:50 PM »
When you put it that way, I agree with you. But the way I understood it, it was more of an admission of "No, nothing's gonna happen with that". Even what you just said, "Euron has never been driven by wanting the queen to have his baby", could have been the explanation: "Euron is there for power, it's not that he's in love with Cersei. He doesn't care if Jaimie knocked her up, as long as he has power by marrying Cersei". Not "He didn't pay attention".

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #7008 on: May 12, 2019, 01:36:20 PM »
I would have hoped the reasoning would be, "Euron is smart, and knew that was not the time and place for bringing up such a controversy" rather than "he's just not paying attention"
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7009 on: May 12, 2019, 03:11:12 PM »
Here's the thing though, remember Euron confronted Yara in front of everyone before the big meeting last season?  While I didn't expect Euron to have a moment there, it seems to be within his character to do so.  Having said that, I only would think that comment is interesting if Euron doesn't bring it up at all.  Like, it's kind of important to come to the realization she's BSing you, which I'm sure he already thinks it with marrying him after the war is over.  That comment does make it seem like its not a plot point though.

Online Adami

« Reply #7010 on: May 12, 2019, 03:13:38 PM »
Yea, him not reacting in the moment is not the same as him not paying attention to it being said in the first place. One can come back down the line with some logic, the other is just lazy writing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7011 on: May 12, 2019, 03:25:24 PM »
Eh, potentially having a baby with the Queen should be a major plotpoint. In this entire series, the right on the throne due to heritage is like one of the major plot threads. Who is who's kid and who should be getting a baby with who is what caused most battles in this series. I doubt any character in that world would find potentially having a kid with the Queen irrelevant. But, not reacting at that point in time and making a fit is a wise move, so perhaps it is that. We will see where this plot thread will go.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7012 on: May 12, 2019, 03:30:50 PM »
For the book scholars: is there any indication whatsoever that Euron is interested in marrying Cersei in the books? Is Cersei even in power currently in the books (has she had her imprisonment/walk of shame in Dance of Dragons?) or is she on a totally different path? I would be much more convinced of Cersei wanting to ally/marry a freakishly powerful and cunning pirate who's master of dark ocean magic than TV Euron. Cersei could rule the land, Euron would rule the seas.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #7013 on: May 12, 2019, 03:31:57 PM »
Also I have a question. I think, on my re-watch, I misheard or misunderstood something Euron said.

When he takes over the Iron Islands, before Yara and Theon take off to meet Dany, does Euron say he's going to marry Dany or Cersei? I could have sworn it was Dany, but then it went the other direction. Did I just hear him wrong?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7014 on: May 12, 2019, 03:41:12 PM »
For the book scholars: is there any indication whatsoever that Euron is interested in marrying Cersei in the books? Is Cersei even in power currently in the books (has she had her imprisonment/walk of shame in Dance of Dragons?) or is she on a totally different path? I would be much more convinced of Cersei wanting to ally/marry a freakishly powerful and cunning pirate who's master of dark ocean magic than TV Euron. Cersei could rule the land, Euron would rule the seas.

I don't recall his comments on Cersei (Tommen is King still in the books) but in the books he is interested in controlling the dragons.  He went around the the world and found a dragon horn so his goals and purpose are fairly different in the books although we don't know if they come to some sort of similar path in the end, but I doubt it.  Book Euron is just completely different other than being crazy and brutal. I hardly really remember his details anymore though so there could be lots I am missing here.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7015 on: May 12, 2019, 03:46:43 PM »
Jeeze. Tommen's still king in the books? Martin sure has a lot to write then...

@Adami: I found this on the Game of Thrones wiki on Euron's article, in the Season 6 section:

Mocking Theon's vocabulary, Euron counters that in his travels, he has seen more of the world than the rest of the captains combined, and that he knows that Daenerys Targaryen, who owns three large dragons, hates the lords of Westeros as much as the ironborn, and has neither a husband nor ships. He intends to sail to Slaver's Bay, bring her back to Westeros as his wife, and conquer the Seven Kingdoms with their combined forces. The captains all declare for him when he announces that he paid the iron price for his crown.

Hm. Forgot all about that. I can't recall when his goal switched from Dany to Cersei. (EDIT: D'oh, the article refreshed my memory. Yara and Theon beat Euron to meeting Dany, when Yara forged the alliance with Dany and was flirting with her. Cersei then invited Euron to King's Landing to forge a pact with the Ironborn, and the rest is history.)

Online Adami

« Reply #7016 on: May 12, 2019, 03:47:39 PM »
So I didn't mishear it. He just randomly changed all his plans. Gotcha. I honestly assumed I got it wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7017 on: May 12, 2019, 03:49:19 PM »
So I didn't mishear it. He just randomly changed all his plans. Gotcha. I honestly assumed I got it wrong.

Nah, not all that random. I just edited my post with the info I forgot that the article reminded me of - he switched from Dany to Cersei after the Yara-Dany alliance and realizing he could fenagle his way into the good graces of Cersei.

Online Adami

« Reply #7018 on: May 12, 2019, 03:51:53 PM »

Nah, not all that random. I just edited my post with the info I forgot that the article reminded me of - he switched from Dany to Cersei after the Yara-Dany alliance and realizing he could fenagle his way into the good graces of Cersei.

Huh, guess I missed that scene. It just looked like he decided to go to Dany and then ended up with Cersei. Ah well. Not a big deal, just popped into my head.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #7019 on: May 12, 2019, 03:57:51 PM »
No, Euron is not interested in marrying Cersei in the books; their storylines haven't really intersected much yet. The closest connection I can think of is that Euron has been raiding in the Reach, and Cersei basically ruling in King's Landing (pre Walk of Shame) hears about it and is kind of happy about it seeing it as "the Tyrell's problem" even though that's pretty short sighted. But then pretty much everything Cersei did in her stint of being in control of King's Landing was short sighted.

You can't really compare where Cersei's path in the books with the show accurately yet, since her last moment in the books was completing her Walk of Shame and seeing the new Mountain - the same as her last scene in Season 5 of the show. There's reason to think she'll end up back in some degree of power (because Kevan Lannister who was running things instead of her is killed at the very end of A Dance with Dragons), her plan is for the Mountain to win her trial by combat against the faith, and there's textual foreshadowing of her using wildfire against her enemies, so her story likely will go in a similar direction as Season 6 in the books. But it's very unlikely she'd be able to simply rule King's Landing without complication if she pulled off something like the Sept explosion as she has done in ths show.

So Euron isn't interested in Cersei at the moment, he is still focused on Daenerys and her dragons, roughly equivalent to where he was in Season 6 of the show before Yara got to Daenerys first. In the books he has sent his brother Victarion to approach Daenerys, and Victarion hates Euron and would likely betray him. But Euron is much smarter than Victarion so likely accounts for that in his plans.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #7020 on: May 12, 2019, 04:20:40 PM »
I think Euron is a significantly different character than in the books. That in itself is not a problem for me though, the series clearly went in a different direction than the books eventually will (I hope we will see the books release). And that is a good thing, it means that if we get future books, thing will be new for us.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7021 on: May 12, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
I think Euron is a significantly different character than in the books. That in itself is not a problem for me though, the series clearly went in a different direction than the books eventually will (I hope we will see the books release). And that is a good thing, it means that if we get future books, thing will be new for us.

Yea, I don't mind what the show did with his limited material and changing it to meet their story.  These new plots introduced in the 4th and 5th books are what the show struggled to adapt, and that's understandable.  I had no issue with Euron's different show portrayal, the changed a lot about them including Yara's name  :lol and no Victorian.  Now Dorne is a different story, but still, I get it was really hard to add these new storylines with no endings in sight for the show.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7022 on: May 12, 2019, 06:37:11 PM »
Thanks for that awesome post RuRoRul. There's ANOTHER Greyjoy? Sheesh. I do need to read the books.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7023 on: May 12, 2019, 06:58:59 PM »
My body is ready...let's do this. :metal :metal

Online Adami

« Reply #7024 on: May 12, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »
My body is ready...let's do this. :metal :metal

I’ll be right over. Don’t get dressed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7025 on: May 12, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
For all the flaws this seasons has had... that was something else. What a treat. I was in tears twice. Watching it again in a few. Simply jaw dropping.

EDIT: Well okay - maybe Jaime getting all the way to the Keep with two big stabbings in the side is a bit farfetched but that's really minor in the big picture.

Online Adami

« Reply #7026 on: May 12, 2019, 08:24:15 PM »
What a frustrating episode.

Some of the best directing, acting, music, set design, costume, special FX, etc that I've seen on TV.

And some of the worst writing.

I know I have to wait a few days of everyone saying it's the best episode ever, so I'll just hang out til we can discuss it beyond praise.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7027 on: May 12, 2019, 08:26:34 PM »
I'm actually really curious what bad writing you're referring to - like, dialogue, or literally how they wrote the scenes? If you want to wait, that's cool too, but I'm interested.

Online Adami

« Reply #7028 on: May 12, 2019, 08:29:02 PM »
I'm actually really curious what bad writing you're referring to - like, dialogue, or literally how they wrote the scenes? If you want to wait, that's cool too, but I'm interested.

Just to answer briefly, I don't mean to imply that literally every word is badly written. Just overall. The dialogue is usually fine, if not a bit overt and blunt, but it's more story writing that I'm referring to. Some of the dialogue is really great. Btu yea, I mean the story. An example from last episode of Dany forgetting about Euron or Euron not paying attention to the baby thing. Stuff like that.

Visually, this was one of the most beautiful and amazing episodes I've seen yet. And for the first hour (or however long til they rang the bells) I thought it was the best episode of the last 2 seasons. After that, no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #7029 on: May 12, 2019, 08:30:39 PM »
That was on par to watching Schindler's List. Beautiful but brutal AF

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7030 on: May 12, 2019, 08:30:50 PM »
Dany has entered Anikan Skywalker terrority. That was crazy. Hopefully Arya or Jon take her out in the finale.

Brother vs. Brother did not disappoint.

Crazy, crazy episode.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7031 on: May 12, 2019, 08:31:38 PM »
Arya was much better getting around the dead then the living it seems. I liked the episode a lot, but it seems we didnt get the prophecies. Which made Cerseis death with jaime less interesting. Like no one ever actually tried to kill her, she even walked right past the hound before clegane bowl. Her death was not satisfying. The torching of kings landing and Jon's struggle with killing and trying not to was really cool. Also greyworm slaying people  :metal

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #7032 on: May 12, 2019, 08:33:19 PM »
While I expected her to go Mad Queen, I wasn't expecting that mad.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7033 on: May 12, 2019, 08:34:50 PM »
Is Bran warging into horses now?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #7034 on: May 12, 2019, 08:36:12 PM »
Whew, that was a workout.

While I always wanted to see Cersei have a painful death, I thought they handled that well.  In her final minutes, she was defeated, crying and whimpering...very fitting before she met her demise with the kingslayer.

As for Danny, all hail the queen. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy