Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642033 times)

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4515 on: June 27, 2016, 06:28:09 AM »
That was an absolutely fabulous season finale. And now the long wait begins.....  :'(
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4516 on: June 27, 2016, 06:34:04 AM »
Amazing epsiode to end the season. I'll echo the comments on the amazing score as well. Cersei has cemented herself as my most hated character in the history of the show. Man is she an evil bitch. I really hope Jamie kills her soon because a childless Cersei could spell trouble for everyone. I still don't have a clue what LittleFinger is going to do. I think either Arya or Sansa will kill him. I'm going to miss Margery and I thought that whole 30 minute scene was one of the best shot/scored/directed scenes in the history of the show. I even loved the Mereen stuff. Anyone else think they are forshadowing a marriage between Daenrys and Jon Snow? Man it's going to be a long wait until next season.  :'(

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4517 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44:59 AM »
I thought it was a fantastic fnale, chock full of "Holy shit" moments and setups for next season.  It will be a long offseason.

Slightly off-topic: The episode opened with the tolling of the bell over King's Landing.  My eldest daughter said "I keep waiting for the bass line for The Glass Prison to start."  #ProudPapa
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4518 on: June 27, 2016, 06:53:38 AM »

Slightly off-topic: The episode opened with the tolling of the bell over King's Landing.  My eldest daughter said "I keep waiting for the bass line for The Glass Prison to start."  #ProudPapa

:metal  :hefdaddy

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4519 on: June 27, 2016, 06:56:19 AM »
- High Sparrow  :-\

Really? He was such a major prick I couldn't wait to see him offed. I wished his head would've been smashed in by The Mountain but what they did works.

I don't get the hate for the High Sparrow. Cersai, Margery and Loras were the ones that sinned and perjured and he's the bad guy?

He's just as power hungry as the rest of them and he hides it well under that calm humble priest disguise. Maybe it's the whole cult thing of theirs too but I'm just glad the head of that snake as been eliminated.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4520 on: June 27, 2016, 07:01:32 AM »

Really? He was such a major prick I couldn't wait to see him offed. I wished his head would've been smashed in by The Mountain but what they did works.

I don't get the hate for the High Sparrow. Cersai, Margery and Loras were the ones that sinned and perjured and he's the bad guy?

He's just as power hungry as the rest of them and he hides it well under that calm humble priest disguise. Maybe it's the whole cult thing of theirs too but I'm just glad the head of that snake as been eliminated.

I don't agree with that. When we met him, he was scrubbing the feet of the poor. The faith militant took things to the extreme, but he was only doing what he felt was right due to his spiritual beliefs.... not for personal gain like so many others in this world.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4521 on: June 27, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »
The score has always been fantastic but this season was an absolute stud of a score. The opening piece in the finale is a thing of beauty and only one of the few piano driven pieces I can remember from the GOT score. It's called Light of the seven. The more I think about the finale the more I'm convinced it's my favorite finale of all seasons and without a doubt now this is my favorite season overall.
There was some chatter I read how next year the season might not start around April but later due to the shorter season plus the fact that they schedule to start filming almost right after the end of the season and that hasnt happened yet. God I hope that's not true it, the wait is already agonizing as it is with an April return.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4522 on: June 27, 2016, 07:11:23 AM »

I don't agree with that. When we met him, he was scrubbing the feet of the poor. The faith militant took things to the extreme, but he was only doing what he felt was right due to his spiritual beliefs.... not for personal gain like so many others in this world.

I took it as mostly an act. Once Tommen became king, he saw a window for power and started exploiting it. He wrapped Tommen around his finger to seek power. Keeping his mother and wife away from Tommen was genius as they were two people that would have easily talked him out of listening to the High Sparrow. He bought himself plenty of time by locking the two of them away.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4523 on: June 27, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »
Also Miguel Sapochnik is the man and I really hope he directs for the next two seasons, his two episodes this season has possibly been some of the greatest TV I've ever seen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4524 on: June 27, 2016, 07:30:43 AM »
Talk about a show starting with a bang....

Awesome episode and an amazing season overall.  That opening scene with the music was really well done and really set the scene for knowing something really big and bad was about to happen... and in one quick moment soo many characters are dead.  Let's see... Kevan Lannister, The High Septon, Margery, Loras, Lancel.  Also Pycelle killed outside of the explosion.

Then poor Tommen.  Knew he was going to off himself with the way that scene was shot.  Actually felt really bad for him in that moment.

Finally the end of Walder Frey.  I thought his scene with Jamie was great and how Jamie called him out.  As soon as they kept showing that one girl there, I knew that had to be Arya and that Walder was toast.  Not only him, I guess his two baffoon sons as well were killed.

See ya Darrio, enjoy Mereen.  Pretty big moment for Dany to leave him behind.  If the story was longer, I'd say what are the chances he betrays her?  But I kind of just see that as the end of the Mereen storyline, finally. 

And we return to Dorne and it looks like the new alliance from the South will be the way of Dany and her Dragons into Kings Landing.  Olenna made a smart move going down there for the alliance because that is obviously where the likely winner of the game of thrones is.  I guess no shock for where Varys went, makes sense for him to go there. 

In the North we see Jon become the new King of the North in a pretty awesome scene.  Very similar feeling and chills from when Rob was named King of the North.  The most interesting part was LF chilling in the back and the only one without a smile.  He definitely had the look of thinking about how he needs to scheme things now since it didn't end the way he expected (marriage to Sansa and him being King of the North).  He's definitely going to be getting his next season I think when he next makes a move behind the Starks back.  Also, Lady Mormont is fucking awesome.  I'm glad she has seemed to become a regular on the show now.  Also the Manderlays finally!

While the flashback to the tower of Joy may have been a huge reveal, it was probably my least favorite scene of the episode.  Just predictable since we all knew how it would play out.  I'm also not sure the scene clearly made it known who the father was.  It had been implied before in the show so I feel like everyone should know, but they didn't really say it or make it clear how important it was that Ned was taking that baby and making the promise.  Either way, huge reveal finally.

And Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne.  Looks like her, Gregor Clegane, and Qyburn will be ruling with no immediate threat after taking out all of her local threats in one swoop.  Obviously she's going to get hers once Dany gets there, but for now she is safe on her throne it seems... and clearly psychotic.  Jamie's look showed that he is clearly in disgust with her now.

Ugh a year of waiting...

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4525 on: June 27, 2016, 07:37:34 AM »
The score has always been fantastic but this season was an absolute stud of a score. The opening piece in the finale is a thing of beauty and only one of the few piano driven pieces I can remember from the GOT score. It's called Light of the seven.
Our viewing party also remarked on how awesome the music was and how unusual that piano piece was for the show.  It really elevated what was happening on screen.  Outstanding.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4526 on: June 27, 2016, 07:39:15 AM »

This is what I thought as well. I do think he was manipulating Tommen but he was doing for the "right" reasons.

Talk about a show starting with a bang....

Awesome episode and an amazing season overall.  That opening scene with the music was really well done and really set the scene for knowing something really big and bad was about to happen... and in one quick moment soo many characters are dead.  Let's see... Kevan Lannister, The High Septon, Margery, Loras, Lancel.  Also Pycelle killed outside of the explosion.

Then poor Tommen.  Knew he was going to off himself with the way that scene was shot.  Actually felt really bad for him in that moment.

Finally the end of Walder Frey.  I thought his scene with Jamie was great and how Jamie called him out.  As soon as they kept showing that one girl there, I knew that had to be Arya and that Walder was toast.  Not only him, I guess his two baffoon sons as well were killed.

See ya Darrio, enjoy Mereen.  Pretty big moment for Dany to leave him behind.  If the story was longer, I'd say what are the chances he betrays her?  But I kind of just see that as the end of the Mereen storyline, finally. 

And we return to Dorne and it looks like the new alliance from the South will be the way of Dany and her Dragons into Kings Landing.  Olenna made a smart move going down there for the alliance because that is obviously where the likely winner of the game of thrones is.  I guess no shock for where Varys went, makes sense for him to go there. 

In the North we see Jon become the new King of the North in a pretty awesome scene.  Very similar feeling and chills from when Rob was named King of the North.  The most interesting part was LF chilling in the back and the only one without a smile.  He definitely had the look of thinking about how he needs to scheme things now since it didn't end the way he expected (marriage to Sansa and him being King of the North).  He's definitely going to be getting his next season I think when he next makes a move behind the Starks back.  Also, Lady Mormont is fucking awesome.  I'm glad she has seemed to become a regular on the show now.  Also the Manderlays finally!

While the flashback to the tower of Joy may have been a huge reveal, it was probably my least favorite scene of the episode.  Just predictable since we all knew how it would play out.  I'm also not sure the scene clearly made it known who the father was.  It had been implied before in the show so I feel like everyone should know, but they didn't really say it or make it clear how important it was that Ned was taking that baby and making the promise.  Either way, huge reveal finally.

And Cersei is sitting on the Iron Throne.  Looks like her, Gregor Clegane, and Qyburn will be ruling with no immediate threat after taking out all of her local threats in one swoop.  Obviously she's going to get hers once Dany gets there, but for now she is safe on her throne it seems... and clearly psychotic.  Jamie's look showed that he is clearly in disgust with her now.

Ugh a year of waiting...

I agree with all of this. I have a feeling that every episode here on out is going to be crazy.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4527 on: June 27, 2016, 07:49:28 AM »
The score has always been fantastic but this season was an absolute stud of a score. The opening piece in the finale is a thing of beauty and only one of the few piano driven pieces I can remember from the GOT score. It's called Light of the seven.
Our viewing party also remarked on how awesome the music was and how unusual that piano piece was for the show.  It really elevated what was happening on screen.  Outstanding.

I was thinking this as well, that music was very unique for the show. Very well done.

I think it's possible that was also my favorite season finale and my favorite season.  Which would have beaten out season 4 and it's finale.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #4528 on: June 27, 2016, 08:05:05 AM »
Fantastic season finale, can't wait for season 7.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4529 on: June 27, 2016, 08:57:35 AM »

Agreed. I was thinking about how different the music was for those scenes and perfectly done. I'm still pissed Margaery is gone. Fuck Cersei.

I thought it was a fantastic fnale, chock full of "Holy shit" moments and setups for next season.  It will be a long offseason.

I took it as mostly an act. Once Tommen became king, he saw a window for power and started exploiting it. He wrapped Tommen around his finger to seek power. Keeping his mother and wife away from Tommen was genius as they were two people that would have easily talked him out of listening to the High Sparrow. He bought himself plenty of time by locking the two of them away.

Agreed. I think he become a self-righteous prick once he saw how much power he could have. It was his way or else. I never liked him

Agreed in regards to that servant being Arya. Walder's serving girls were all hideous, but that girl was beautiful. It was so obvious it was Arya. Frey Pies for all!

I was wondering myself if Daario would either betray her or find a way to Westeros regardless.

Jon knows not to trust Littlefinger so I'm sure he'll be cautious of that. I just hope Sansa doesn't keep anymore information from Jon again.

I think Jon will learn about his parentage early next year, hopefully from Bran. I think the people who were around at the time of Rhaegar and Lyanna, that knew how he favored her, probably know more than they let on.

Fuck Cersei for killing Margaery. I agree that Jaime will start to have doubts about his love for Cersei. Maybe he goes to help Brienne? I don't know.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4530 on: June 27, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »
I'm calling it now. Brienne kills Cersei with Oath Keeper.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4531 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »
I was hoping they'd show the Brotherhood of banners with a special guest appearance but it's all good, for next season I think they'll definitely have little finger play more of the antagonist role with him openly stating his desire for the throne.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4532 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:42 AM »
ALSDKA DAT FINALE
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4533 on: June 27, 2016, 09:21:07 AM »

Why? People kept saying he's just another power hungry player and I didn't see that angle come to fruition, up to the moment he died he was only working on behalf of his conviction and for the sake of the seven.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4534 on: June 27, 2016, 09:21:25 AM »

I think that Jaime adds Queen Slayer and Sister Slayer to his list of nicknames.  I think that Dany is about to win, so Cersai makes preparations to wildfire the whole kingdom, and Jaime does what he must. Tyrion will smooth things over with Dany so that Jaime is allowed to live.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4535 on: June 27, 2016, 09:23:33 AM »
Can Daenerys survive wild fire like she does normal fire?

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4536 on: June 27, 2016, 09:24:01 AM »

Why? People kept saying he's just another power hungry player and I didn't see that angle come to fruition, up to the moment he died he was only working on behalf of his conviction and for the sake of the seven.

This guy gets it.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4537 on: June 27, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »

This guy gets it.

The High Sparrow imprisoned, starved, and tortured Margaery because she tried to help her gay brother. If he was truly trying to be just, and honestly cared about who was sleeping with who, pretty much everyone in his dungeon would be doing the walk of shame. I don't think there was anyway he was only in this for the gods. It's no coincidence that the two members of the royal family were getting significantly harsher treatment than anyone else.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4538 on: June 27, 2016, 09:40:08 AM »
I'm calling it now. Brienne kills Cersei with Oath Keeper.

That would be awesome, but don't forget the Witches prophecy regarding Cersei. Thus...

I think that Jaime adds Queen Slayer and Sister Slayer to his list of nicknames.  I think that Dany is about to win, so Cersai makes preparations to wildfire the whole kingdom, and Jaime does what he must. Tyrion will smooth things over with Dany so that Jaime is allowed to live.

I think there are decent odds that this is how it goes down.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4539 on: June 27, 2016, 09:41:27 AM »

This guy gets it.

The High Sparrow imprisoned, starved, and tortured Margaery because she tried to help her gay brother. If he was truly trying to be just, and honestly cared about who was sleeping with who, pretty much everyone in his dungeon would be doing the walk of shame. I don't think there was anyway he was only in this for the gods. It's no coincidence that the two members of the royal family were getting significantly harsher treatment than anyone else.

He did those things because Margaery perjured before the Gods. He was going by the book, and by that book, she got what she deserved. Her crimes obviously weren't equal to Loras' or even Cersai's.

As for "anyone else" who knows what else was going on off camera. I highly doubt that we saw everyone getting theirs, only the characters pertinent to the story. 

RIP High Sparrow.... you were one of the good ones.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4540 on: June 27, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
^ saved me typing a long post on the freakin cellphone keyboard haha
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4541 on: June 27, 2016, 09:48:03 AM »
So a list of actors/characters purged this season, it's quite a freaking long list. And I for one didn't see any of the deaths coming except for maybe the High Sparrow. I had a sense Walder Frey might be up to something, didn't think it would be the other way round. So I'm guessing there's no more Essos in the story with Dany and gang out to sea.

Have a question for readers of Book 4 & 5. Is there more of the oldtown stuff for Sam in the books? I'm assuming all other story lines on the show are way ahead of the books or all caught up for good now.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4542 on: June 27, 2016, 09:51:07 AM »
Not a lot to add to the discussion because most of it has already been mentioned. The King of the North scene was great but I somehow felt this sense of impending doom....just immediately related it to Rob....hope Jon's story ends differently.

Arya and Varys must have a ton of frequent flyer miles.....jeez.....is Westeros the size of Manhattan?

Loved the look Jamie was giving Cersi. He's already turned against her....

I'm guessing the mountain has himself a sex doll?

Dany looks to be in a strong situation.....are those Dragons gonna get tired crossing the ocean?

Anyway, good season....can't wait for more.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4543 on: June 27, 2016, 09:51:13 AM »
Have a question for readers of Book 4 & 5. Is there more of the oldtown stuff for Sam in the books? I'm assuming all other story lines on the show are way ahead of the books or all caught up for good now.

We'll definitely see something with Sam. I think. When he walked into the citadel, we last saw him staring at that giant gold thing that's in the intro. No clue what it could be, but I think it has some significance. Maybe it's some ancient weapon that harnesses the sun to stop the white walkers or something. He's supposed to be studying to help/tell Jon Snow defeat the white walkers. Maybe Sam ends up being the hero.

This thing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4544 on: June 27, 2016, 09:55:52 AM »
I can't believe some people think the High Sparrow was a good guy.

He seemingly had good intentions in the beginning but it was quite clear he was just power hungry and another person playing the Game of Thrones.  His own demise was just not realizing how low Cersei would go to keep her own power.

Not for Sam his story is caught up now.  There is another storyline that occurs in Oldtown in the books that seemed to be setting up for something in the future.  Other than some of the prologue/epilogue stuff in the books (one of which is the oldtown scene I am referring to) the books have been pretty much completely covered by the show now or are further along than the books (most plotlines are).

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4545 on: June 27, 2016, 09:59:12 AM »

We'll definitely see something with Sam.

I know in the show his role will go progress further, I was asking if the book story line for Sam is on par with the show or ahead.

Edit: Thanks cramx3, exactly what I was asking.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4546 on: June 27, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »
Massive lol at people considering the High Sparrow anything other than a manipulative, powerhungry and brutal man like everyone else in King's Landing. Rather than riches or family name, his cloak was religion, and its devotees his army. To overlook the way he controlled the royalty this season as acts justified by some inherently good religious creed is to willfully turn a blind eye at reality.

The Valonqar part of the prophecy was left out of the show. I agree it seems to be setting Jamie up for killing Cersei but there is no prophetic requirement he or any brother kill her, so this openness may make for a useful shock moment when we all expect it to be Jamie's redemption. Hell, I'm sure the Brienne prediction will happen and then Jamie kills Brienne – that's how bad they've undone his book arc! Totally different guy.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4547 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:01 AM »
Massive lol at people considering the High Sparrow anything other than a manipulative, powerhungry and brutal man like everyone else in King's Landing. Rather than riches or family name, his cloak was religion, and its devotees his army. To overlook the way he controlled the royalty this season as acts justified by some inherently good religious creed is to willfully turn a blind eye at reality.

Agreeing to disagree, without the "massive lol".

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4548 on: June 27, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »
Absolutely amazing episode.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #4549 on: June 27, 2016, 10:48:45 AM »

Agreeing to disagree, without the "massive lol".

He was content taking care of the poor until Cersei gave him a little power. After that, he ran wild with it, letting it take over him. He isn't as modest as you think. It's why religion needs to stay out of politics. It's like saying only one religion has the right idea about things and forcing everyone to live by its rules. He only went after certain people, people with power, to help consolidate his own.