Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642052 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #4410 on: June 22, 2016, 06:01:46 AM »
Even though it's signed by Ramsay, there are others believed to have truly penned the letter. Here is a good article about that very thing. Littlefinger isn't one of the ones mentioned but the book and show could be changing things.

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/08/21/game-of-thrones-theorycrafting-who-actually-wrote-the-pink-letter/

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4411 on: June 22, 2016, 06:44:02 AM »
Even though it's signed by Ramsay, there are others believed to have truly penned the letter. Here is a good article about that very thing. Littlefinger isn't one of the ones mentioned but the book and show could be changing things.

https://winteriscoming.net/2015/08/21/game-of-thrones-theorycrafting-who-actually-wrote-the-pink-letter/

Aren't they looking a little bit too far into this? Did anyone else even know Ramsey called Theon Reek?
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4412 on: June 22, 2016, 06:46:54 AM »
Personally, I think it's Ramsay. However, I do enjoy getting caught up in the different theories. You're actually learn more about certain characters because you're digging deeper into each one.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4413 on: June 22, 2016, 06:49:37 AM »
I have little to no doubt now that LF is the one who wrote the pink letter to Jon Snow, since Ramsay tells Jon that he'll pardon him for deserting the Night's Watch if he kneels for him, contrary to the letter's content which repeatedly invited Jon to "come and see".

I don't think that's particularly solid evidence. Both Ramsay and Jon know – as do we! – Ramsay would never, ever hold to his offer on the battlefield. It was an empty gesture in mockery, the first field attempt to make Jon angry before the Rickon game pushed him over the top.

I do agree with the concept that the letter wasn't written by Ramsay, though. That seems so... insignificant a gesture for a guy so hellbent on toying with people. If he's gonna send you something, it's gonna be a part of your buddy in a box, maybe with a short note. No ravens.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #4414 on: June 22, 2016, 06:52:17 AM »
Personally, I think it's Ramsay. However, I do enjoy getting caught up in the different theories. You're actually learn more about certain characters because you're digging deeper into each one.
I agree! they are certainly enjoyable to read  :tup It's also fun to see how many little details you easily miss while watching.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4415 on: June 22, 2016, 07:07:59 AM »
It could make sense for LF to write the letter. 

What is actually Littlefinger's stand with the Lannisters now? last time he spoke with Cersei he was like "Let the Boltons and Stannis kill each other, once they're done I come in and take over the weakened winner". Could he still present himself to the crown, "Hey I've secured the North for you"?

This could be part of his reasoning.  The Boltons and Stannis didn't really kill each other, it was a slaughter by the Boltons so LF needed Jon's Army to go in first to weaken the Boltons. 

Having said that, in the show at least, I think it most likely was written by Ramsay.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4416 on: June 22, 2016, 08:51:50 AM »
The end goal of LF is certainly the big question being that he's so manipulative and has multiple scenario's playing out. I think he's just waiting to see what his best option is.

I'm curious as to if he knows the situation in Kingslanding and that his 'ally' in Cersi is in some major trouble and essentially useless to him now? She has zero power and ability to help him or influence anyone to help him.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4417 on: June 22, 2016, 09:09:37 AM »
The end goal of LF is certainly the big question being that he's so manipulative and has multiple scenario's playing out. I think he's just waiting to see what his best option is.

I'm curious as to if he knows the situation in Kingslanding and that his 'ally' in Cersi is in some major trouble and essentially useless to him now? She has zero power and ability to help him or influence anyone to help him.

Not only Cersei, but his "ally" in Olenna as well. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4418 on: June 22, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
I'm not convinced that Little Finger's motivations are anything more than, "The nobles have disrespected me so I'm going to fuck their shit up."
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #4419 on: June 22, 2016, 09:29:37 AM »
I'm not convinced that Little Finger's motivations are anything more than, "The nobles have disrespected me so I'm going to fuck their shit up."

Could be.

I would think that someone of his background and 'connections' has to know the situation in Kingslanding, and possibly have heard or know of Dany's impending journey across the sea with a massive Army and dragons. He'd be better off aligning himself with Jon and the North as far as 'end game' is concerned IMO.

Hopefully the finale will give us some insight to his intentions.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4420 on: June 22, 2016, 09:39:39 AM »
I think his misdeeds will mean his death soon enough.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4421 on: June 22, 2016, 09:41:15 AM »
I think his misdeeds will mean his death soon enough.

Yea, I certainly don't see him surviving the series.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4422 on: June 22, 2016, 09:45:18 AM »
I'm kind of looking forward to The Others passing the wall. I really want to see how the southern cities handle it. We know Jon and the rest of the north will do what it takes but what about the south? Can they put aside their self interests and deal with the real enemy. Will Daenerys focus on her own reign or band together with the north to stop the white walkers?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4423 on: June 22, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »
I'm kind of looking forward to The Others passing the wall. I really want to see how the southern cities handle it. We know Jon and the rest of the north will do what it takes but what about the south? Can they put aside their self interests and deal with the real enemy. Will Daenerys focus on her own reign or band together with the north to stop the white walkers?

Of course she will band together with the north, she has the best weapon against them.  It would make no sense for the Dragons to not burn the whites down by the end of the story without a significant change of events.  At least IMO.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4424 on: June 22, 2016, 10:59:05 AM »

Of course she will band together with the north, she has the best weapon against them.  It would make no sense for the Dragons to not burn the whites down by the end of the story without a significant change of events.  At least IMO.

It seems too obvious. Daenerys takes the dragons up north and disaster averted? It sounds ideal but it seems way too easy. I feel like she isn't going to care about The Others right away and that she'll need some convincing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4425 on: June 22, 2016, 11:00:17 AM »

It seems too obvious. Daenerys takes the dragons up north and disaster averted? It sounds ideal but it seems way too easy. I feel like she isn't going to care about The Others right away and that she'll need some convincing.

I wouldn't say disaster averted, it'll be like all the battles.  The north will be losing the fight and someone (the dragons) come in at the last second to save the day.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4426 on: June 22, 2016, 11:15:56 AM »
I hope not.  :lol Another eucatastrophe? I really would prefer something completely unorthodox, like the one about a Stark taking an Other bride. That would be brilliant to have the war end that way, while Daenerys rules the 7 Kingdoms and Jon Snow is Warden of the North or something.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4427 on: June 22, 2016, 01:00:36 PM »
I would assume the visions of the Iron Throne room empty and covered in ice were a foreshadowing, and that the Others will take over the entire Westeros, which maybe will prompt Dany to finally get her shit together and bring her butt to Westeros.

It would be too easy and cliche to have the dragons being the equivalent of the eagles in LOTR, the Others *will* take over the continent, Dany will at best defeat them, not stop them.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4428 on: June 23, 2016, 01:07:20 AM »
Well how about the White walkers being immune to fire meaning the dragons are useless unless I guess they eat them?  :lol Again, not a bookreader so i'm just guessing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4429 on: June 23, 2016, 02:23:47 AM »
I believe that it has been implied a few times that dragon's fire is more intense compared to regular fire, so the Walkers may not be able to resist it so easily.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4430 on: June 23, 2016, 04:13:03 AM »
Fire kills wights. The walkers only die by Jon and Sam until more blades of the stuff (two different stuffs, right?) are found/made.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #4431 on: June 23, 2016, 04:56:58 AM »
Sam's father's sword that he stole, that could kill walkers, right? Have Sam lead the army against the undead and kick some ice!  :metal
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4432 on: June 23, 2016, 05:42:33 AM »
Yes, Valyrian Steel and Dragonglass have been shown to kill White Walkers.  Even though they were able to walk through those flames to get to the cave this season, I'd still believe dragon fire would kill them.

It's been implied that the Dragons and White Walkers are opposites in some ways.  I'd also imagine that a White Walker sword would kill a dragon.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4433 on: June 23, 2016, 06:29:57 AM »
Fell asleep during S06E04 last night. Almost there!

Did not expect Ollie to hang.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4434 on: June 23, 2016, 07:39:24 AM »
Fucker deserved it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4435 on: June 23, 2016, 07:51:20 AM »
Alright. Late to the party, but 'The Battle of the Bastards' was one of the greatest hours of television I've ever seen in my life. The tension, the suspense, the stakes god dammit! Everything was incredible. Even Dany's small (in comparison to the actual Bastardbowl lol) battle was amazing. I love Game of Thrones because it enables me to be an annoying fanboy and I know that several people will resonate with me! I haven't felt this way about a TV show since probably Breaking Bad back in 2013.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 07:56:51 AM by DarkLord_Lalinc »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4436 on: June 23, 2016, 07:53:45 AM »
 :tup
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #4437 on: June 23, 2016, 07:56:54 AM »
Now, some actual conversation: I think that Littlefinger's plans are, as always, kind of blurry and in the darkness, but if one retraces his choices and actions throughout the whole story one might get a glimpse of what he's up to. I mean, he's partially responsible of the dramatic turn of events (pun intended) that unfolded since Robert Baratheon went to Winterfell and the war of the kings that followed. Power makes people sick, like it has been shown and stated several times in the show, and I can totally see Littlefinger wanting to serve as Hand of the King or something once the Lannisters get dethroned (it seems the series are taking that route), and it could be that he sees the Starks fit to rule? I know that he has a huge and creepy crush on Sansa given she's so much like Catelyn, but his love for power might be even bigger than that. If he proposes marriage to her in the next episode or something to that extent, it's probably because there's something more under the sheets.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4438 on: June 23, 2016, 08:33:26 AM »
More under those sheets?  :omg: I´d settle for what´s there already!  :yarr

Yeah, I´m old and a perv. Sorry.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #4439 on: June 23, 2016, 08:35:56 AM »
Seriously though, I don´t even think Sansa is capable of loving someone ever again.  Seriously traumatized.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4441 on: June 23, 2016, 09:26:10 AM »
While I enjoyed the episode a ton, am I the only one who didn't think Bastardbowl was nearly as tense or thrilling as, say, Hardholme, or the battle at the wall? It definitely felt a lot more predictable to me. I was quite confident that Ramsay would lose, and was just waiting for the Knights of the Vale to show up. I was also quite confident that Jon wasn't going to die, as he was only recently brought back to life.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4442 on: June 23, 2016, 09:37:31 AM »
While I enjoyed the episode a ton, am I the only one who didn't think Bastardbowl was nearly as tense or thrilling as, say, Hardholme, or the battle at the wall? It definitely felt a lot more predictable to me. I was quite confident that Ramsay would lose, and was just waiting for the Knights of the Vale to show up. I was also quite confident that Jon wasn't going to die, as he was only recently brought back to life.

No.  I thought the predictability made it less favorable to me than the other battles in the show.  However, I think this one was one of the better shot ones and was VERY well done. 

I guess my rankings on the big battles:

Blackwater - I just love this, but I know it's not most favorites.  The Tyrion speech at the end and the Hound's "Fuck the King" are icing on the cake.
Hardhome - Maybe it's because it's the first time we get so much whites and white walkers at once that made this one so interesting, plus the large scale of it and how it felt like it's own mini episode getting the entire last 30 or so minutes with the female actress playing a nice role.  The standoff at the end was perfect.
The Wall - The Giants, breaking off the wall, Thenns and one being killed by Sam, Thorne actually being pretty bad ass and likeable, Jon taking over leadership, Ygritte's death.  That one shot where the camera pans all around Castle black and you see everyone fighting.
BastardBowl - While probably my least favorite, it doesn't mean it was bad.  The large scale human vs. human land combat was ridiculous and so well done.  The predictability is the reason why it's at the bottom.  The Rickon death was pretty cool and the way Ramsay was finished was also perfect.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4443 on: June 23, 2016, 09:42:59 AM »

No.  I thought the predictability made it less favorable to me than the other battles in the show.  However, I think this one was one of the better shot ones and was VERY well done. 

I guess my rankings on the big battles:

Blackwater - I just love this, but I know it's not most favorites.  The Tyrion speech at the end and the Hound's "Fuck the King" are icing on the cake.
Hardhome - Maybe it's because it's the first time we get so much whites and white walkers at once that made this one so interesting, plus the large scale of it and how it felt like it's own mini episode getting the entire last 30 or so minutes with the female actress playing a nice role.  The standoff at the end was perfect.
The Wall - The Giants, breaking off the wall, Thenns and one being killed by Sam, Thorne actually being pretty bad ass and likeable, Jon taking over leadership, Ygritte's death.  That one shot where the camera pans all around Castle black and you see everyone fighting.
BastardBowl - While probably my least favorite, it doesn't mean it was bad.  The large scale human vs. human land combat was ridiculous and so well done.  The predictability is the reason why it's at the bottom.  The Rickon death was pretty cool and the way Ramsay was finished was also perfect.

Hardhome was amazing because it really just came out of nowhere. I was not expecting such an amazing battle. Probably my favorite episode of the show.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4444 on: June 23, 2016, 10:09:35 AM »
Storywise, it may not have been the best.

But the sheer brutality and awesome cinematography of the Bastard battle makes it the best for me.