Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642033 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3920 on: May 25, 2016, 11:25:32 AM »
The "first White Walker" shown in this past episode is not the Night's King,

It is though, the creators said it is. Though I don't think they're rewriting the story of the Night King from the books, maybe just using that name for the villain here.

Yea, I think the show confirmed that it was the Nights King.  The guy did looks similar to him too.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3921 on: May 25, 2016, 12:05:44 PM »
The "first White Walker" shown in this past episode is not the Night's King,

It is though, the creators said it is. Though I don't think they're rewriting the story of the Night King from the books, maybe just using that name for the villain here.

Yea, I think the show confirmed that it was the Nights King.  The guy did looks similar to him too.

From the research I did, albeit it was quickly, that first man we see being converted is indeed the Night King.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3922 on: May 25, 2016, 12:34:06 PM »
Well, I missed that on the show, and if it's true, that is significantly different from the lore given in the books about the Night's King.

Unless a similar name is being used for two different individuals.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3923 on: May 25, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
Well, remember, there are going to be some differences between the books and the show

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3924 on: May 25, 2016, 12:37:40 PM »
Well, I missed that on the show,

Well, they didn't specifically say it in the episode. The creators said it in an interview about it, so it's easy to miss.

Yeah, I think this is most likely. Since the show has made no mention of the original Night's King at all, they might have just picked it because it sounds cool. I'm thinking the leader of the Others will probably not have that name in the books.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3925 on: May 25, 2016, 12:42:53 PM »
Well, remember, there are going to be some differences between the books and the show

For sure, but I'd like that the White Walkers thing would stay true to the intentions of George Martin since their exact story, purpose and motivations may very well play a decisive factor in the outcome of the entire saga.

Someone already figured out the "Hold the Door > Hodor" thing, what if the theory posted a couple of pages ago about the Others being not really the villains but just another race coming to cleanse the mess Men are doing in Westeros was right, and the show instead makes them random icy villains and invaders?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3926 on: May 25, 2016, 12:55:41 PM »

Yeah, I think this is most likely. Since the show has made no mention of the original Night's King at all, they might have just picked it because it sounds cool. I'm thinking the leader of the Others will probably not have that name in the books.
No, I think it probably will be the Night's King in the books, too, and this may in fact be the actual history of the character.  It just doesn't align with the legend told about that character.

If I'm not mistaken, I thought the legend of the Night's King was told by Old Nan (Hodor's mother) in season 1, or at least reference was made to her telling of the story by some of the Stark children.  I could be misremembering.  I know she told it in the first novel.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3927 on: May 25, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
I did a little more research and apparently it is never mentioned in the novels as to who created The Others and whether or not that first one was indeed the Night's King. Those could be things that are part of the next book. I love the description they give in the Wiki for the books.

"According to legend, Night's King lived during the Age of Heroes, not long after the Wall was complete. He was a fearless warrior named the thirteenth Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. Later, he fell in love with a woman "with skin as white as the moon and eyes like blue stars". He chased her and loved her though "her skin was cold as ice", and when he gave his seed to her he gave his soul as well. Night's King brought her back to the Nightfort and after the unholy union, he declared himself king and her his queen, and ruled the Nightfort as his own castle for thirteen years."

I feel like the books made them seem so much more surreal and beautiful while the show just has them looking like these evil creatures.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3928 on: May 25, 2016, 01:11:53 PM »
Well we still haven't seen any female White Walkers. Maybe they'll be hawt.

No, I think it probably will be the Night's King in the books, too, and this may in fact be the actual history of the character.  It just doesn't align with the legend told about that character.

Like you say though, the histories of the two doesn't align at all. The book Night's King was a Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, which wasn't even formed until after the entire war with the Others.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3929 on: May 25, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
I am hoping the female Others will have some kind of obscure beauty to them. That's how I perceive them through GRRM's description.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3930 on: May 25, 2016, 01:20:27 PM »
Yeah, I always did imagine them beautiful, but in a still quite frightening way.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3931 on: May 25, 2016, 01:33:25 PM »
I think the book and show were always different regarding the White Walkers.  Heck, they are even called Others in the book.  For all we know, Old Nan's stories were wrong on the history, or maybe some of that history is correct just off a little.  There's no way to tell at this point since we still know so little. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3932 on: May 25, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »
I am hoping the female Others will have some kind of obscure beauty to them. That's how I perceive them through GRRM's description.

Yeah, I always did imagine them beautiful, but in a still quite frightening way.

Wasn't this always the intention of George Martin? it's the show that made them icy zombies, in the books they're indeed strangely beatiful in their own way.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3933 on: May 25, 2016, 01:38:25 PM »
They aren't zombies.  The wights, the servants of the Walkers, are the zombie-like things.

The Walkers themselves aren't reanimated corpses.  They are Other.  Given the look of the males we've seen, I don't see a reason that any females couldn't be striking in appearance.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3934 on: May 25, 2016, 01:40:44 PM »
They aren't zombies.  The wights, the servants of the Walkers, are the zombie-like things.

The Walkers themselves aren't reanimated corpses.  They are Other.  Given the look of the males we've seen, I don't see a reason that any females couldn't be striking in appearance.

We know the males in the show are not the same as the descriptions given in the book as I've heard this mentioned in a couple of interviews with Dan, Dave, and GRRM. It's intentional and just what the show runners wanted. I suppose making them, especially the females, have some kind of beauty would take away their evil demeanor.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3935 on: May 25, 2016, 01:45:17 PM »
Oh, I know they are different.  I was just making the distinction between the Walkers and the wights.  It is sometimes lost on people (including my family members who are only show watchers).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3936 on: May 25, 2016, 01:56:32 PM »
Oh, I know they are different.  I was just making the distinction between the Walkers and the wights.  It is sometimes lost on people (including my family members who are only show watchers).

Indeed, there is a big difference between the two. I knew you had it right. I was just remarking on your comment regarding the females Others.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3937 on: May 25, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »
Think we will see any females?  I mean, it's GOT, so I suppose there will be be white boobies at some point, amirite?

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3938 on: May 25, 2016, 04:05:50 PM »
Think we will see any females?  I mean, it's GOT, so I suppose there will be be white boobies at some point, amirite?

Most of us married guys have seen a cold, frozen shut vagina.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3939 on: May 25, 2016, 06:52:17 PM »

I would sure love to see some female Others. We will if that one theory pans out. Jon Stark will be taking an Other bride.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3940 on: May 25, 2016, 07:41:57 PM »

You didnt have to be married to see Melissandre's ancient vag  :lol

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3941 on: May 25, 2016, 09:01:35 PM »
And who is the Night King? We saw the Children creating him right? He was human and they didn't show his face. I'm assuming its someone we know about that went missing? I haven't read the books, so I don't know if thats part of history that I'm just not aware of?

They showed his face very clearly.

Apparently I missed that entirely lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3942 on: May 25, 2016, 09:05:34 PM »
And who is the Night King? We saw the Children creating him right? He was human and they didn't show his face. I'm assuming its someone we know about that went missing? I haven't read the books, so I don't know if thats part of history that I'm just not aware of?

They showed his face very clearly.

Apparently I missed that entirely lol

It was quick.  I didn't notice on first watch, it was on the inside the episode that comes after you watch on hbogo that the writers showed the scene and talked about it (where they confirmed it was the Night's King).  This is the hardest part of the show.  There is so much that is easily missed.  But that also makes it so enjoyable to rewatch so you catch these things that you didn't notice the first go around.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3943 on: May 25, 2016, 09:23:06 PM »

Online faizoff

« Reply #3944 on: May 26, 2016, 06:54:02 AM »
Awkward and hilarious...
That actor will never be able to shake that off now.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3945 on: May 26, 2016, 12:38:19 PM »
So was that dragonglass to his heart?  Is that why dragonglass kills them?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3946 on: May 26, 2016, 12:49:20 PM »
It certainly looked like it. Not sure why it kills them now though, but I suppose there's more magic involved. Like, I don't think the recipe for White Walker is as simple as "incert obsidian into heart > enjoy your new ice creature".

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3947 on: May 26, 2016, 12:52:38 PM »
It certainly looked like it. Not sure why it kills them now though, but I suppose there's more magic involved. Like, I don't think the recipe for White Walker is as simple as "incert obsidian into heart > enjoy your new ice creature".

He was tied to that mystical tree....I know it has a proper name but I can't recall it. It had the face of Bran's mentor carved in it. Maybe that was where the 'real' magic was that made them White Walkers.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3948 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:18 PM »

He was tied to that mystical tree....I know it has a proper name but I can't recall it. It had the face of Bran's mentor carved in it. Maybe that was where the 'real' magic was that made them White Walkers.

Yup, the weirwood tree with the 3 eyed ravens face on it.  The more I think about it, the more it feels like that episode had "Lost" written all over it with the time traveling and mysteries. (as I mentioned earlier, a Lost director was the director for this episode).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3949 on: May 26, 2016, 01:28:43 PM »
I never got that that weirdwood-face was supposed to be the Three-Eyed Raven's face. I suppose it kinda looks like it, but anyone got a source on that?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3950 on: May 26, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
weirdwood-face

Damn, that got me laughing alright. :rollin Weirdwood.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3951 on: May 26, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
 :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3952 on: May 26, 2016, 02:07:58 PM »
*shrug*

The last episode gave me weirdwood, too.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3953 on: May 26, 2016, 02:31:24 PM »
I never got that that weirdwood-face was supposed to be the Three-Eyed Raven's face. I suppose it kinda looks like it, but anyone got a source on that?
Well, again, unless they are changing things massively from the novels, the TER isn't thousands of years old, so it isn't really HIS face.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3954 on: May 26, 2016, 04:04:16 PM »
Well, again, unless they are changing things massively from the novels, the TER isn't thousands of years old, so it isn't really HIS face.

Maybe, maybe not, but it definitely looked like him and regardless of TER actual age, it doesnt seem to really matter if he's connected to the weirwood network.  I saw that more of TER "saw" how the White Walkers were made moreso than his face being on the tree had a meaning in the creation of the Nights King.