Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642080 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2345 on: April 27, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
WHAT

THE

FUCK

That's my reaction to the old High Septon brothel scene. It was downright ridiculous, not in a good way. Other than that, I quite liked the episode.

I thought that scene was funny, and seems like something someone like that totally do.

I also have no problem with the message reaching Winterfell that 'quickly'. Like ariich said, the show jumps forward in time sometimes because it has to.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2346 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:19 AM »
I think you just need to look past the timing situations.  The show needs to move on so they can't have everyone waiting for ravens to arrive.  You just have to assume the necessary time elapsed.  But this is nothing new with the show, its been like that since season 1 and there doesn't seem to be other options on how to do it, other than just pretend it took time.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2347 on: April 27, 2015, 10:29:18 AM »
I dont think they look similar as well, but Roose is not seen very often so that problem could be the reason.

I think that is my issue.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2348 on: April 27, 2015, 10:52:40 AM »
I think you just need to look past the timing situations.  The show needs to move on so they can't have everyone waiting for ravens to arrive.  You just have to assume the necessary time elapsed.  But this is nothing new with the show, its been like that since season 1 and there doesn't seem to be other options on how to do it, other than just pretend it took time.

Yeah, I guess so. That's just me being nitpicky.

With regard to timelines, I was under the impression that Sansa and the Boltons are all still at Moat Cailin. The sets didn't look very much like Winterfell if that's where we're supposed to be.

I'm quite sure they're in Winterfell.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2349 on: April 27, 2015, 10:55:29 AM »
Oh yes, definitely winterfell and it might not have looked the same because it got burnt down and they were clearly doing some rebuilding as well as displaying some flayed bodies.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2350 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:58 AM »
Oh yes, definitely winterfell and it might not have looked the same because it got burnt down and they were clearly doing some rebuilding as well as displaying some flayed bodies.

Yeah....it didn't look like Winterfell to me at all. I had thought Winterfell was set amidst Forestry....not out in the middle of what looked like swampland?? Even the first episode had the crew riding on rolling hills and what not to go behead the Night's Watch deserter. That scenery of Brianne looking down on them as they rode to the city.....the landscape was harsh and swamp like??
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2351 on: April 27, 2015, 12:01:32 PM »

Yeah....it didn't look like Winterfell to me at all. I had thought Winterfell was set amidst Forestry....not out in the middle of what looked like swampland?? Even the first episode had the crew riding on rolling hills and what not to go behead the Night's Watch deserter. That scenery of Brianne looking down on them as they rode to the city.....the landscape was harsh and swamp like??

Well that castle in the middle of the swamp lands was Moat Cailin which was shown during the opening credits and goes along with the complaint of time and travel in the show.  LF and Sansa show up at Moat Cailin for what appears in the show like a moment and then they are quickly in Winterfell.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2352 on: April 27, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »

That wasn't Winterfell, that was Most Cailin, a fortress that is like the "gateway to the North" so was probably used to signify Sansa and Littlefinger were entering the North. The city they entered later in the episode (where the Boltons are) is Winterfell, which is in the North.

Winterfell isn't really in forest, it is shown out on a field with hills in the background I believe. Most Cailin is surrounded by marshes and swamp, which is why it is such a good obstacle to entering the North.

And yeah, I agree it can be confusing where people are because long journeys are completed in such short screentime. This has always happened in the show (people often point out Littlefinger's travels in season 2, but actually they are no worse than characters like Catelyn in season 1, and I think are picked up on more because book readers didn't already know where he was going and so were surprised), but I think it is getting more frequent as things are happening at a brisk place, and there is no time to omit a character for 2 episodes every time they have to travel or send a message from one distant castle to another.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2353 on: April 27, 2015, 12:14:30 PM »
That wasn't Winterfell, that was Most Cailin, a fortress that is like the "gateway to the North" so was probably used to signify Sansa and Littlefinger were entering the North. The city they entered later in the episode (where the Boltons are) is Winterfell, which is in the North.

Winterfell isn't really in forest, it is shown out on a field with hills in the background I believe. Most Cailin is surrounded by marshes and swamp, which is why it is such a good obstacle to entering the North.

Ahh....cool. Thanks for the info. and clarification!!!  :tup

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2354 on: April 27, 2015, 01:50:47 PM »
I never confused the locations, but then again I am a hardcore Game of Thrones nerd.

The shot of Sansa in the background looking out over Moat Cailin contemplating what to is breathtaking. Gorgeous shot. The old woman saying 'the north remembers' also gave me chills.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2355 on: April 27, 2015, 02:29:47 PM »
The old woman saying 'the north remembers' also gave me chills.

Yes! That may have been my favorite part of the episode. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2356 on: April 27, 2015, 02:35:54 PM »
And I guess now we're using Sansa instead of fake-arya as the impetus for...
Yeah, seems like the biggest change from the books so far this season, but I can understand why they did it. I'm fine with it as I was never that convinced with the whole fake-Arya thing, though I was quite looking forward to seeing what they would do with it.

Great episode in general, really liked the High Sparrow in particular.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2357 on: April 27, 2015, 02:36:56 PM »
Did anyone notice the look Sansa gave Roose Bolton upon meeting it. So cold it would have frozen a White Walker solid.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2358 on: April 27, 2015, 02:39:14 PM »
Did anyone notice the look Sansa gave Roose Bolton upon meeting it. So cold it would have frozen a White Walker solid.
Yeah that was great. Sansa has become kinda badass.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2359 on: April 27, 2015, 02:42:51 PM »
Yeah that was great. Sansa has become kinda badass.

Yup, she gave him the look of death and rightfully so.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #2360 on: April 27, 2015, 02:50:42 PM »
The Stannis nods was the best thing in the episode! It was literally THE subtlest of nods and the most Stannis thing ever!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: April 27, 2015, 03:03:49 PM »
The Stannis nods was the best thing in the episode! It was literally THE subtlest of nods and the most Stannis thing ever!

Yeah....in fact, had Stannis been standing next to Jon I think he'd have tried to tongue kiss him.....that's how turned on he was by Jon's badassness......

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2362 on: April 27, 2015, 03:08:29 PM »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2363 on: April 27, 2015, 03:21:05 PM »

Yeah, that was fantastic.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2364 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53:46 PM »
I never confused the locations, but then again I am a hardcore Game of Thrones nerd.
 The old woman saying 'the north remembers' also gave me chills.

Me too.  i love that moment.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2365 on: April 28, 2015, 01:22:24 AM »
Haha yea I thought that was brilliant.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Tanatra

• Forum Spider
« Reply #2366 on: April 28, 2015, 08:57:35 AM »
I think Sansa taking the place of Jeyne Pool (aka 'fake Arya') was a great story change on the producer's part. Some of the changes didn't work well (i.e., Yara's rescue attempt of Theon) but in general many of the changes the producers make actually improve on the books I think.

The big issue I had was with the High Sparrow. There are a lot of parallels between him and the current Pope, yet he seems to have no problem with the methods of his fanatic followers. So maybe his humility and sense of compassion rather than condemnation was just an act, but it seemed inconsistent to me.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2367 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:03 AM »
I totally agree about the Sansa change, at least for now since we don't know how that eventually plays out.

Im not sure what to think of the High Sparrow, too early to tell.  I thought the actor was good though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2368 on: April 28, 2015, 09:57:57 AM »
Question.  After Sansa is introduced to Ramsayl, the screen cuts to a group of girls, one noticeably distrubed by Sansa's arrival.  Who are they?  The only women in that area that have any role in the story are the one's that Theon works with at the end of book 5.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2369 on: April 28, 2015, 10:02:35 AM »
The big issue I had was with the High Sparrow. There are a lot of parallels between him and the current Pope, yet he seems to have no problem with the methods of his fanatic followers. So maybe his humility and sense of compassion rather than condemnation was just an act, but it seemed inconsistent to me.

"Lancing a boil is never pleasant. Although they could have been more careful with the blade." I think both those sides you described are reflected in this line. He seems to be a very kind person, but is still a 'religious fanatic', which means he doesn't condemn extreme measures. I didn't think it was inconsistant, as we've only seen him in one episode.

Question.  After Sansa is introduced to Ramsayl, the screen cuts to a group of girls, one noticeably distrubed by Sansa's arrival.  Who are they?

The one giving Sansa the stink-eye was a girl called Myranda. I have no idea if she's in the books, but she was one of the girls present when Theon had his dick removed, she was also the one who hunted that other girl through the woods with Ramsay last season.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2370 on: April 28, 2015, 10:11:31 AM »
Myranda is made up for the show and yes, she was the one who gave the dirty look. She has some sick type of relationship with Ramsay.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2371 on: April 28, 2015, 10:18:54 AM »
I see.  I don't know why I didn't remember seeing her before.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2372 on: April 28, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »
Question.  After Sansa is introduced to Ramsayl, the screen cuts to a group of girls, one noticeably distrubed by Sansa's arrival.  Who are they?  The only women in that area that have any role in the story are the one's that Theon works with at the end of book 5.
The one looking annoyed at Sansa was Myranda, who seems to be Ramsay's "girlfriend" of sorts from season 3 and 4 (was there during Theon's "alteration", and when Ramsay was hunting a woman in the forest). The look is probably to show that she is jealous of Sansa for marrying Ramsay, and I'm guessing she's going to either threaten Sansa or just annoy Ramsay enough to end up on the recieving end of one of Ramsay's games. I don't think she has a book equivalent.

Edit: Nevermind, somehow didn't realise that had already been answered :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2373 on: April 28, 2015, 11:07:24 AM »
The one looking annoyed at Sansa was Myranda, who seems to be Ramsay's "girlfriend" of sorts from season 3 and 4 (was there during Theon's "alteration", and when Ramsay was hunting a woman in the forest). The look is probably to show that she is jealous of Sansa for marrying Ramsay, and I'm guessing she's going to either threaten Sansa or just annoy Ramsay enough to end up on the recieving end of one of Ramsay's games. I don't think she has a book equivalent.

Edit: Nevermind, somehow didn't realise that had already been answered :lol

Is she one of the girls that plays with Theon? 

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2374 on: April 28, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
Yeah.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2375 on: April 28, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »
Yeah.

I remember her now. I just didn't remember her face. That was a while ago.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2376 on: April 28, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »
How about Arya using the īCī word ? I thought that was a bit of Yeah, go girl  :metal moment for me....
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance youīre always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2377 on: April 28, 2015, 02:00:47 PM »
How about Arya using the īCī word ? I thought that was a bit of Yeah, go girl  :metal moment for me....

Forgot about that! Yea that was great  :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2378 on: April 28, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »

Do you have a lot of "go girl" moments?

;)

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #2379 on: April 28, 2015, 02:04:07 PM »
What did you think of the beheading scene? I'm interested to know what you show-only people made of it.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco