Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642037 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1925 on: June 13, 2014, 04:05:58 PM »
The other thread is specifically for the books.  This thread is for the show.

And now for something completely different.

What Game of Thrones Would Sound Like If It Were Set in New Orleans
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1926 on: June 13, 2014, 04:34:01 PM »
I really hope the last scene of the episode is the epilogue of the book. Introducing that character would be a great way to end the season.
The move I've thought about this, the more I think Stoneheart won't appear until the AFfC chapter where Brienne meets up with her. It would be a bigger "oh shit!" moment for TV if we have 6-7 episodes where there's always dialogue about how Dondarrion's outlaws are now lead by a woman until we finally see the woman.

Lena Headey posted an instagram picture before the season started of stones placed in a shape of a heart.  Many people took that to mean we will see her.  With the way the last episode ended (or didnt end) I am starting to think the finale might not have enough time to do a proper LS intro.  I also agree with Dimitrius in that there has been no build up of any talk/rumors of Freys being hung and of Dondarions people this season whcih makes me think that maybe it isnt going to happen.  I still do want the last scene to be of Brienne seeing her and then getting hung (or about to).  That would be a total awww shit moment to end the season, but then again there can be a few of those depending on how the show runners decide to pull this off.  I am very excited to see this, although I wont get to watch it until Monday  :'(

I just mean the scene where she is introduced in the books. There's no buildup to her existence, she just hangs some Freys in the epilogue of Storm of Swords.

...my name is Araragi.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1927 on: June 15, 2014, 08:16:36 PM »
They somewhat thinned the herd this episode, although Tywin's death didn't really excite me as much as it should've.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1928 on: June 15, 2014, 09:42:11 PM »
I liked the episode and thought some cool stuff went down. Brianne whooping the hound was out if nowhere....i dug Tyrion killing Tywin (if he is indeed dead). Speaking of dead or not...the Mountain? Dying of poisoning from Oberyns weapon, but the dude trying to save him says he won't be the same if it works? Different as in he will now be Mr. Nice guy or different as in he will be more sinister? Hmmmm

I thought Stannis showing up at the wall was cool and I'm glad John Snow is t dead (yet?) the whole Bran thing has taken a new twist that just confuses me even more now so that'll be fun to sort through next season.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1929 on: June 15, 2014, 09:45:25 PM »
The bells were ringing in King's Landing, they only ring them when a ruler (be it king or Hand) dies...

I loved this episode to death!!

And, Brienne of Tarth ain't nothing to fuck with.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1930 on: June 15, 2014, 09:50:28 PM »
Speaking of dead or not...the Mountain? Dying of poisoning from Oberyns weapon, but the dude trying to save him says he won't be the same if it works? Different as in he will now be Mr. Nice guy or different as in he will be more sinister? Hmmmm

I got the impression that he'll come back way stronger but more of a mindless beast than anything.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1931 on: June 15, 2014, 09:53:42 PM »
Wow. Literally like the entire landscape has changed. Very interested to see where it goes from here.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1932 on: June 15, 2014, 10:01:00 PM »
I'm disappointed now that we've gotten so little Mance stuff. He was so fucking good this episode!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:29:24 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1933 on: June 15, 2014, 11:41:42 PM »
Well that was an underwhelming season finale.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1934 on: June 16, 2014, 12:11:14 AM »
Gotta hand it to Peter Dinklage; he has been really tearing up the screen the past few episodes.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1935 on: June 16, 2014, 04:53:33 AM »
Some of the changes from the novel were. . . interesting.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1936 on: June 16, 2014, 07:30:23 AM »
Wow that really didn't go as I thought.  :omg: Tyrion killing Tywin, never thought that scenario would happen in the show. The same with Brienne killing The Hound...although not as shocking.

Awesome episode!  :corn Goddamn one season goes so fast, can't believe i'll have to wait another freakin year for S05.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: June 16, 2014, 07:59:32 AM »

Could you small font the deviations? I'm curious.

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1938 on: June 16, 2014, 09:05:51 AM »

Brienne doesn't kill the hound; if I remember correctly they don't meet at all.  The Hound gets wounded through another skirmish.  Arya does in fact leave him to die.  I think the way the show did it was fine; it kept the important plot points while allowing more interaction between main characters; kept it simple for limited screen time.  Brienne does get the shit beat out of her in the books many times though (while still winning); you can call it a 'recurring theme' i supppose.

Jojen doesnt die.

Shae doesn't resist Tyrion killing her.

Didn't introduce a major new player, which was in the epilogue of the book.  Don't look into this though, big big spoiler.

Cersei never admits her relationship with Jamie.

Thats really it IIRC, aside from other very minor details.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1939 on: June 16, 2014, 01:38:30 PM »

Brienne doesn't kill the hound; if I remember correctly they don't meet at all.  The Hound gets wounded through another skirmish.  Arya does in fact leave him to die.  I think the way the show did it was fine; it kept the important plot points while allowing more interaction between main characters; kept it simple for limited screen time.  Brienne does get the shit beat out of her in the books many times though (while still winning); you can call it a 'recurring theme' i supppose.

Jojen doesnt die.

Didn't introduce a major new player, which was in the epilogue of the book.  Don't look into this though, big big spoiler.

Interesting....Thanks.

Oh....and, I felt 'bad' for the two dragons who've been "behaving" themselves while their other sibling is just terrorizing everyone and everything :lol I don't know what siginificance it has that she now has leashed the other two....will it mean they won't obey her? anyway, it just seemed unfortunate she had to cage her dragons...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: June 16, 2014, 01:56:36 PM »
Wow that really didn't go as I thought.

Pretty much my reaction. There were some changes from the book I liked, while some I hated with passion. Especially the one soundgarden didn't mention at all (no big spoilers, but still please be careful anyone who doesn't want to know how Tyrion escape went down in the books):

the not-so-good to put it mildly terms on which Tyrion parts with Jaime. They had what, 7 minutes on beetles speech and 1 minute on their parting? That was such a defining and important moment in the books for me.

Alright, I'll stop my rant here.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1941 on: June 16, 2014, 01:58:49 PM »
Arya, Tyrion, Jon and Bran have me the most excited moving forward. Nothing new there though, I suppose. Although, the bit of Bran that we did see this episode only left me feeling more confused. I also liked seeing Stannis make his appearance and look forward to seeing how that plays out. With Tywin dead it seems now is definitely the time for him to make his decisive move.

Danaerys is an awful mother (of dragons), and her whole story line has felt very stagnant throughout this entire season. Not sure what to make of that, as we move on.

In the long run, I'm not sure how all of these story lines are going to get wrapped up into one satisfying and conclusive ending that doesn't feel contrived. It could work brilliantly, but I'm not exactly sure how. Obviously the major conflict of the White Walkers isn't going anywhere, and I imagine that the whole realm is going to have to unite to combat that. I'm just not quite sure how we're going to get from where we are now to where that finally comes to a head and then beyond. Still so many possibilities open for all of these characters, and I'm sure plenty to be added in the coming season.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1942 on: June 16, 2014, 03:04:55 PM »

Jojen doesnt die.

To be fair, Jojen hasn't died YET. He has mentioned a few times that the knows he's going to die in the books

I'll also join in the chorus of people disliking Jaime and Tyrion's farewell. Jaime's revelation of Tysha and the subsequent "wherever whores go" and "she's been fucking Lancel" are, IMO, very important to their attitudes going forward! They can remedy Jaime's part easily, bringing Lancel back next year and him telling Jaime that because he's being penitent. But I don't see how Tyrion can figure out about Tysha.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: June 16, 2014, 07:08:51 PM »
Wow that really didn't go as I thought.  :omg: Tyrion killing Tywin, never thought that scenario would happen in the show. The same with Brienne killing The Hound...although not as shocking.

Who says he (The Hound) died?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 07:22:34 PM by Genowyn »

...my name is Araragi.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1944 on: June 16, 2014, 11:01:25 PM »
I think I was a bit disappointed with this finale, but, as I think back on it, it really was one of the more packed episodes, especially compared to last season's finale which felt more like 'the episode after the Red Wedding' as opposed to the season finale. It almost makes up for the few episodes this season where nothing seemed to happen. Almost. That said, the changes, they were irk-worthy. Most fall into either 'I don't mind this' or 'WTF is this shit??' Not much on the positive side. I try not to let my uber-nerd fanboy side take over after every miniscule alteration, but sometimes... it's just more fun to bitch and moan about pointless things. Book spoilers ahead, ye have been warned.

What was awesome:
Mance and Jon and Stannis surprisingly because I have not been a big fan of how the Wall storyline has been adapted in the past. Mance needed to be on the show more, Ciaran Hinds is pretty awesome and just to remind the viewers of who Mance is.

What didn't piss me off:
Arya and the Hound meeting Brienne and Pod. Just as long as we got that last scene between Arya and the Hound, that's all I cared about. And we got it and it was glorious. Where the heart is indeed. Now it just makes me wonder what Brienne is going to do next season? Her plot in AFFC was already a bit threadbare, but now? All she has left to do is meet a certain someone and I'm really dubious of the showrunners being able to make up other things for her to do. Their track record on such things is... spotty.

Shae attacking Tyrion. Eh, it worked. I won't complain.

Jojen's death. He doesn't do much going forward so meh no big loss for me and hopefully his death means we get some Ironborn PoV's next season.

Bloodraven. I was kinda disappointed with how he looked, but I guess there's only so much they can do with makeup and prosthetics on the show. Can't have of that money cutting into their annual boob budget!

Weirwood Hand Grenades.

WTF... C'mon!:
No Tysha. This is a really great scene between Jaime and Tyrion and Tyrion and Tywin and really important for both Jaime and Tyrion's characters going forward. I can understand why they didn't put it in, I mean Tysha was mentioned what, twice like three seasons ago? But still, what a missed opportunity.

Jaime and Cersei screwing in the white tower? That's the moment when he turns away from her. I'm sure they'll make it happen next season but bleh, the white book and white tower scenes were great.

Is Balon Greyjoy still alive? I don't remember him dying on the show so I'm assuming he's still out there raiding and pillaging, though it's funny that nobody seems to give much of a crap about him now. Not even Roose seems to care much.

No Lady Stoneheart. I'm not surprised by this at all. I had gotten myself so hyped up that this would be the scene that closes out the season so I have no one but myself to blame but still, that would've been awesome and I'm disappointed nonetheless.

No "Tywin Lannister did not, in fact, shit gold." I don't know how they would've fit that in  but it should've been in there. C'MON!

So overall, I think this season might be tied with Season 2 as my least favorite. For all the material that it had to cover, there was just too much random filler and too many strange cuts. The finale was quite good though, but was only disappointing when compared to my expectations. I hope they find some great actors to fill the voids left by Grenn, Tywin, Joffrey, Oberyn, even Lysa, and, of course, Karl the fookin legend of Gin Alley!

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #1945 on: June 17, 2014, 01:10:14 AM »
I really liked the boy's choir version of theme song at the end of the episode!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1946 on: June 17, 2014, 01:48:50 AM »
I loved everything about the finale except one thing: The skeleton warriors who attacked Bran and gang. I have no problem with it actually happening, but only wish they weren't portrayed so video-game-y.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1947 on: June 17, 2014, 03:39:22 AM »
Yeah, while watching I was thinking how much cooler those stop motion skeletons looked in Jason and the Argonauts.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1948 on: June 17, 2014, 09:36:20 AM »
I hated the way the skeleton killed Jojen. It was so... mechanical  :lol
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1949 on: June 17, 2014, 09:43:22 AM »
I hated the way the skeleton killed Jojen. It was so... mechanical  :lol

I wasnt crazy about that scene in general.  Just so different from the books (which I wont normally complain about, but I enjoyed the book version much more).  But the whole fireballs thing was just weird IMO and yes, the stabbing looked awkward to say the least.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1950 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:47 AM »
If that guy knew he was going to die, why not send the fireball kid earlier to save him? :)

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1951 on: June 17, 2014, 11:06:14 AM »

Jojen doesnt die.

To be fair, Jojen hasn't died YET. He has mentioned a few times that the knows he's going to die in the books

I'll also join in the chorus of people disliking Jaime and Tyrion's farewell. Jaime's revelation of Tysha and the subsequent "wherever whores go" and "she's been fucking Lancel" are, IMO, very important to their attitudes going forward! They can remedy Jaime's part easily, bringing Lancel back next year and him telling Jaime that because he's being penitent. But I don't see how Tyrion can figure out about Tysha.

OH SHIT!, i forgot about that revelation.  Add that to the list; wow..how could they omit that

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1953 on: June 17, 2014, 11:27:49 AM »
That's pretty awesome!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: June 17, 2014, 11:34:16 AM »
https://www.buzzfeed.com/robinedds/heres-one-thing-you-probably-didnt-notice-in-season-4-of-gam

Yup, us book readers saw that as a foreshadow (the dying on the shitter part made it quite obvious).  Theres a few foreshadows in this show from the dialogue of other people.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1955 on: June 17, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »
I imagine GRRM sitting around when all this started, thinking about Danaerys' story and where it's headed, knowing where it will eventually end up, but then thinking wait a second, there's a lot of other stuff I want to explore before she actually arrives in Westeros, and that'll take a while… how can I let her character stagnate for multiple seasons?

And that's when the bullshit that was Danaerys in season 4 (some of 3, too, and I imagine 5) came to be. Just my speculation, as a non-book reader who didn't enjoy her involvement in this season. I may be way off, and perhaps there is a perfectly good reason for why she's done very little but suck at ruling a city this season.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: June 17, 2014, 02:09:41 PM »
I thought her storyline had been good up until she got to Mereen, both book and show up to this point.  Not going to give my opinion of the bit more of what we know that happens in regards to her.

In general though, most of the storylines are very close or even practically at the same points in the books now.  Lots of spoilers for book readers next season (unless Winds of WInter magically is written and released).

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1957 on: June 17, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
If that guy knew he was going to die, why not send the fireball kid earlier to save him? :)
Becuase Jojen wouldn't have died then! :lol

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1958 on: June 18, 2014, 06:54:28 AM »
perhaps there is a perfectly good reason for why she's done very little but suck at ruling a city this season.

This is when we are supposed to start noticing as an audience that while Dany is an excellent charismatic military leader, she is a terrible leader in peace time.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1959 on: June 18, 2014, 01:00:14 PM »
Or that while she has talked about conquering and gaining back her birthright, she has zero experience at the actual ruling, politics and that stuff.