Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 642082 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1855 on: June 05, 2014, 02:07:30 PM »
Oh, thanks. I was expecting this to happen so far because I have absolutely no recollection of the Oberyn-Mountain fight yet I remembered this and it hasn't been shown yet, I was starting to think I have made up some fan fiction (a disturbing thought).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1856 on: June 05, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
As for the trial by combat or the battle at the wall being the climax for the season, dont be surprised if something that happens in episode 10 is just as big of an event as those.  And I cant wait for the battle at the wall.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1857 on: June 05, 2014, 04:57:33 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to post.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1858 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:09 AM »
Found a cool pick of Oberyn Martel.

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1859 on: June 07, 2014, 08:35:04 AM »
 :lol

I did just read an article that said that actor....Pedro Pascal, has landed a lead role in a Netflix drama. It's about Pablo Escabar....apparently Pascal plays the Agent who helps take Escobar down.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-actor-pedro-pascal-star-netflix-drama-163611187.html
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1860 on: June 07, 2014, 08:59:04 AM »
:lol

I did just read an article that said that actor....Pedro Pascal, has landed a lead role in a Netflix drama. It's about Pablo Escabar....apparently Pascal plays the Agent who helps take Escobar down.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/game-thrones-actor-pedro-pascal-star-netflix-drama-163611187.html

I bet he didn't see that coming.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1861 on: June 07, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
In fact, Oberyn death seen on screen made me flinch. Kept imagining it again and again next day, and that usually doesn't happen to me when I watch anything.

Same here... Same here... The worst part wasn't even the head-implosion moment. The worst was the look on his face when the mountain lifted him on top of him, and then his screams when he got his eyes gouged out.
Yep, same here as well. Things like that have never bothered me but for some reason this scene got to me.

I'm going to join the club as well, just got to watching it yesterday evening and it's been haunting me ever since, both the images and the emotions it stirred up. I was vaguely spoiled (yeah, it would have been quite a feat to survive 5 days on the internet without GoT spoilers), yet it still managed to sucker punch me in my state of denial. The Red Wedding didn't bother me at all, heck, I was halfway happy about it, but this was a truly painful experience. Off the top of my head, the only other time when a series made me feel like this was the Kennedy and Heidi episode of The Sopranos, towards the end of the final season.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1862 on: June 08, 2014, 09:19:36 PM »
Holy shit

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1863 on: June 08, 2014, 09:38:47 PM »
That was a pretty killer battle! Very well done. Loved how John Snow's chic bit it....that was awesome! I was surprised at the end though when he walked out of the gate that his Dire Wolf wasn't with him?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1864 on: June 08, 2014, 09:54:23 PM »
In the eyes of everyone, Ghost is a weapon. He chose to go unarmed.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:59:50 PM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1865 on: June 08, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
In the eyes of everyone Ghost is a weapon. He chose to go with no weapons.

I see. I'd still have taken him.

I'm curious as to if Ingrit (I think thTs her name) hadnt been shot...whether or not she'd have shot John? It almost felt like it was right at that moment, timing wise...when she let loose on him before.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1866 on: June 08, 2014, 10:09:55 PM »
It was either that or they just didn't have money left over to do the CGI :lol

I don't think it would've matter for Ygritte. Before that she had kill tens of men without hesitating one bit, hesitation killed her.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1867 on: June 09, 2014, 11:00:47 AM »
That was a pretty killer battle! Very well done. Loved Hated how John Snow's chic bit it....that was awesome!

Terribly sad  :'(
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1868 on: June 09, 2014, 11:06:54 AM »
That was a pretty killer battle! Very well done. Loved Hated how John Snow's chic bit it....that was awesome!

Terribly sad  :'(
That bitch got exactly what she deserved! :metal
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1869 on: June 09, 2014, 11:09:56 AM »
Great episode, totally deserves a place among the other famous "episode 9"s.

Best part was probably Grenn and his men reciting the oath in the tunnel. That was pretty damn epic. Very sad to see Grenn and Pyp go..

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1870 on: June 09, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »
Y'all are cold  :lol

That was easily one of the saddest deaths in the whole series, for me. Not so much because I liked her as a character, but because I felt bad for Jon.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1871 on: June 09, 2014, 11:15:50 AM »
Y'all are cold  :lol

That was easily one of the saddest deaths in the whole series, for me. Not so much because I liked her as a character, but because I felt bad for Jon.
Cold? She filled him full of arrows once and she was about to finish him off. As far as John Snow goes....put the bitch down and mourn later! Ain't n nobody got time for that!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1872 on: June 09, 2014, 11:36:32 AM »
She filled him full of arrows in all the right places so as to not kill him, because she obviously didn't want to/couldn't kill him. And while we'll never know for sure, I don't think she would have shot him there either.

Oh well… Like I said- I didn't like her as a character, so I don't have to miss her. It was just sad in that moment watching one of my favorite characters have to go through that. In fact, now that I think about it, Jon Snow might be my favorite character. The only other contenders would be Arya or Tyrion.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1873 on: June 09, 2014, 11:43:23 AM »
She filled him full of arrows in all the right places so as to not kill him, because she obviously didn't want to/couldn't kill him. And while we'll never know for sure, I don't think she would have shot him there either.

Oh well… Like I said- I didn't like her as a character, so I don't have to miss her. It was just sad in that moment watching one of my favorite characters have to go through that. In fact, now that I think about it, Jon Snow might be my favorite character. The only other contenders would be Arya or Tyrion.

Yep. She spared him on purpose initially and probably tried to convince herself she wasn't in love with him....but alas she was....she froze when presented the chance to kill him, and that little boy putting an arrow through her was good revenge for him at least.

It was a bummer to see John go through that but he's a Stark.....that family appears to be on the losing end of luck or fate or whatever diety Martin has running his universe. John Snow is a bada$$ though....I'm curious to see how he fairs out all alone....weaponless.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1874 on: June 09, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »
If there's one thing season 4 has made sure to drill in our heads is that hesitation will kill you in Westeros! If you have the kill shot, you have to take it!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 02:33:56 PM by Dimitrius »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1875 on: June 09, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
If there's one thing season 4 has made sure to drill in our heads is that hesitation will kill you in Westeros! If you have the kill shot, you have to take it!

I think there is only one character who has no issues in hesitating..........calling killer Arya, Killer Arya to the front desk. She certainly doesn't hesitate.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1876 on: June 09, 2014, 02:50:15 PM »
Had no sympathy for her. She could have chosen not to fight instead of go all hell hath no fury mode

Can't wait for next week!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1877 on: June 09, 2014, 03:10:35 PM »
How do you guys think this episode compared to Blackwater? Personally I enjoyed this battle more. It felt like there was more at stake, and it was a little more emotional for me. It did feel a little anticlimactic however, the way the battle just ended and Thormund (sp?) was the last wildling alive. Leaving thousands upon thousands of wildlings hanging out north of the wall just made the whole thing feel a lot more insignificant.

Offline bertoltus

• Reign on, you crazy tyrant!
« Reply #1878 on: June 09, 2014, 03:23:42 PM »
"Hey Tormund, are you sure you're gonna be OK? You've got, like, six arrows sticking out of your body."
"Har. Don't worry about that, kiddo. I put on my plot armor this moring."

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1879 on: June 09, 2014, 03:27:04 PM »
How do you guys think this episode compared to Blackwater? Personally I enjoyed this battle more. It felt like there was more at stake, and it was a little more emotional for me. It did feel a little anticlimactic however, the way the battle just ended and Thormund (sp?) was the last wildling alive. Leaving thousands upon thousands of wildlings hanging out north of the wall just made the whole thing feel a lot more insignificant.

I enjoyed it although like you mentioned...it was anti-climatic. For me, there weren't many characters in that battle I really 'cared' about other than John Snow so all the ancillary killing and battles were just ehhh for me, some random Watchman getting killed by some random Wildling or vice versa.

I really wish they'd have dedicated a scene to the (6) Watchmen battling that Giant....that'd have been cool to see. And although they did a good job of displaying John Snow's battlefield prowess and decision making....I'd like to have seen him 'in battle' a bit more. He had some good sparring scenes and kills once he got down to the bottom but it really was only a minute or so of him in the 'battle'.

Oh, and....I Still could give a lick about the fat guy. I've not read the books so I have nothing to base this off of but it just seems he's been mis-cast or something. His acting/character portrayed on the show does nothing for me to give a rats booty about him.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1880 on: June 09, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
True about Jon actually fighting, there was very little time dedicated to that. I wasn't too upset to see most of the peripheral characters die either, even Pip (Pyp?) and the other guy down with the giant. I do think Sam has improved a little bit this season as he seems to have found a little more courage and strength. Still, I'm not sure what the long term importance of his character is. Maybe he'll fly one of Danaerys dragons eventually?  :mehlin

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1881 on: June 09, 2014, 03:40:47 PM »

I found it very similar both in terms of how the episode was laid out and the quality of it. They both had a lot of build up time to the battle which was really suspenseful and cool, and then the battles themselves were both amazing. Not sure which one I would say I liked the most. Probably Blackwater just because it had a definitive outcome, whereas this episode there are still thousands of wildlings they still have to deal with. And the ending of Blackwater when Tywin comes in and announces "we have won" was just so cool. Both were fantastic episodes, though, and are among my favorites in the series.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1882 on: June 09, 2014, 06:42:31 PM »
Don't worry Ygritte, I'll always remember the cave.  ;)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1883 on: June 09, 2014, 07:01:03 PM »
What a boring episode, there's no way I can give any less shit about the wall.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1884 on: June 09, 2014, 07:12:42 PM »
Don't worry Ygritte, I'll always remember the cave.  ;)

when she said that, all I could think was euphemism?  :justjen

What a boring episode, there's no way I can give any less shit about the wall.

Next to the impending invasion of the white walkers, everything else seems incredibly trivial. It only makes sense that we keep eyes on the wall.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1885 on: June 09, 2014, 07:21:21 PM »
I like Jon and Sam, so I care about the Wall. I loved this episode.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1886 on: June 09, 2014, 07:29:32 PM »

I like John a lot. But, for the readers I the book....how accurate of a depiction is TV Sam vs Book Sam? As I mentioned earlier, I find the actor less than compelling...it's tough for me to care about him.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1887 on: June 09, 2014, 07:34:46 PM »
I haven't read the book, but what I like about him is he's this unapologetically (I dunno, I have no better word for it) nice guy in a really harsh world full of calculating assholes. And now that he's been in the Night's Watch a while, he's also finally got balls to go with his nice guy-ness.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #1888 on: June 09, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »

I like John a lot. But, for the readers I the book....how accurate of a depiction is TV Sam vs Book Sam? As I mentioned earlier, I find the actor less than compelling...it's tough for me to care about him.

Very close.  I think the Night's Watch characters have all been pretty much spot-on with how they are depicted in the books.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1889 on: June 09, 2014, 09:31:23 PM »
I think "Blackwater" was much, much better. It had better character moments, better battle scenes and I wasn't a big fan of how the Wall battle deviated from the book. Also Grenn and Pyp...  :'(

"Watchers at the Wall" was okay, but mostly because I just haven't been fairly impressed with how the show has handled the wall storyline since the end of Season 1.

Sam's much more of a craven in the book. TV Sam seems to have a bit more nascent courage at times. I quite like the guy who plays him though, he has enough charisma to keep the character from being a complete buzzkill.

I have no idea how they're going to handle the next episode. There is so much stuff they have left to cover.