Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646206 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1890 on: June 10, 2014, 05:03:52 AM »
I think the actor for Sam fits the character very well.  I agree that book Sam is more of a coward. I don't recall him killing anyone during the battle in the books but I could be wrong. 

I think Blackwater was better due to having more important characters involved, a definitive ending, and an awesome speech by Tyrion.

I did enjoy the episode overall but I was really pissed at the ending and I have no idea where it is going now.  Also, the Yggrette death was more satisfying in the show.  Her death in the books was pretty uneventful.

I really wonder how they are going to pull off the finale since this episode didn't finish the battle and there is still a lot of other stuff from the book that hasn't happened yet with regards to other characters stories.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1891 on: June 10, 2014, 05:18:34 AM »
I don't remember Blackwater being much of a battle. There was a lot of waiting, then most of Stannis' ships get blown up, and then there's like 5-10 minutes worth of skirmishes on the beach before Tywin swoops in and saves the day.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1892 on: June 10, 2014, 06:09:42 AM »
It certainly did feel like a lot of waiting, looking back.

Also, just read that the finale is going to be about 10 minutes longer than usual. No surprises there, especially given how much a lot of the book readers have been saying still needs to fit in before the season is done. I'm excited that this season seems to be breaking the mold of climax in episode 9 followed by general wrap up in episode 10. Here it feels like we've hit a climax in episode 8 and it hasn't let up since. Although, with that being said, it also felt like things dipped a bit in the middle of the season.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1893 on: June 10, 2014, 06:48:06 AM »
I think it's time they give us (13) or (16) episodes per season. This ten show season stuff sucks.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1894 on: June 10, 2014, 08:20:32 AM »
I agree. This season finale is gonna be super busy because of it!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1895 on: June 10, 2014, 08:30:09 AM »

And super awesome! Nevermind the Red Wedding, this episode shows what I have been looking forward to see on screen since I first read the books!
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: June 10, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
I really wonder how they are going to pull off the finale since this episode didn't finish the battle and there is still a lot of other stuff from the book that hasn't happened yet with regards to other characters stories.

Among the things this show does really well....one of them is utilizing the scenes to progress the stories along. They never really have a 'wasted' scene and seem to pack quite a bit of story and progression in the moments they spend with each character or story arc. It's quite impressive.....there are A LOT of shows out there that could take heed of that and learn a thing or two from the GOT folks on that aspect.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #1897 on: June 10, 2014, 02:21:38 PM »
Yeah, episode 9 was a bit much for me. Too much stuff going on I care about more than that 1 hour battle scene.
Just not enough time in an hour for the series finale!
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1898 on: June 10, 2014, 04:21:01 PM »
Probably the weakest GoT episode so far and it'll be the only one I'll definitely skip when I re-watch the entire series. That's still not saying much given the series' standards though, it was a lot of fun, but it came off as a season finale tease. Reminds me of the time when South Park aired a Terrence and Philip special instead of Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut Part 2.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1899 on: June 10, 2014, 05:36:54 PM »
Probably the weakest GoT episode so far and it'll be the only one I'll definitely skip when I re-watch the entire series. That's still not saying much given the series' standards though, it was a lot of fun, but it came off as a season finale tease. Reminds me of the time when South Park aired a Terrence and Philip special instead of Cartman's Mom Is a Dirty Slut Part 2.

and while I was completely devasted, once I got over the fact that we wouldnt find out Cartman's mom was a hermaphrodite for another couple months, the Terrance and Philip episode was amazing.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1900 on: June 10, 2014, 05:51:15 PM »

and while I was completely devasted, once I got over the fact that we wouldnt find out Cartman's mom was a hermaphrodite for another couple months, the Terrance and Philip episode was amazing.
And then you had to wait another 12 years to find out she wasn't really a hermaphrodite. :biggrin:

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Joshin U

• On a wrecking ball to view a fashion show
« Reply #1901 on: June 12, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
Did the Red Wedding actually happen?

No, I don't mean in real life, I'm not mentally handicapped. But do we know for sure that it happened in the show? What if the show just MADE it look like it happened, when really it was just a "smoke and mirrors" show put on by the Freys to scare away Arya and the Hound? There could be several motivations for the involved to pull this off:

1. The Freys kidnapped the Starks and will eventually put them up for ransom. They don't want to give Arya/Hound hope, though, so they act as if they killed everyone there to make them flee so that they can hold on to the Starks without any external forces interrupting the process.

2. The Starks and Freys coordinated the event in order to fool Arya into thinking the events transpired in order to force her transition from childhood to adulthood to better brace her for life in Westeros. By faking their deaths, the Wedding participants triggered a series of internal decisions and growth processes within Arya that have become integral to her character development and will be of use to the Stark clan in the future.

3. This one is the wildest, so brace yourselves: what if Arya is actually a split personality and isn't with the Hound at all? Think about it: she really hasn't encountered anyone that interacted deeply with the Hound to a degree to which he revealed information that Arya did not already know. If this theory is correct, that means that all of the events in Arya's storyline since season 1 (where trauma created a mental break into psychosis, most likely triggered by the death of her father) correspond with events actually transpiring in reality, but may not be rooted in reality whatsoever. I won't even fathom a guess to the particulars of what is actually occurring around Arya, but its safe to say that if this is true, many of the events that pertain to Arya's storyline are symbolic and do not necessarily reflect reality, like the Red Wedding. The implications of this are HUGE and, if revealed correctly, will throw the War of the Five Kings into a completely different direction, most likely with Arya at the center of it all.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/board/thread/230911171?d=230911171#230911171

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1902 on: June 12, 2014, 12:38:03 PM »

No, I don't mean in real life, I'm not mentally handicapped. But do we know for sure that it happened in the show? What if the show just MADE it look like it happened, when really it was just a "smoke and mirrors" show put on by the Freys to scare away Arya and the Hound? There could be several motivations for the involved to pull this off:

1. The Freys kidnapped the Starks and will eventually put them up for ransom. They don't want to give Arya/Hound hope, though, so they act as if they killed everyone there to make them flee so that they can hold on to the Starks without any external forces interrupting the process.

2. The Starks and Freys coordinated the event in order to fool Arya into thinking the events transpired in order to force her transition from childhood to adulthood to better brace her for life in Westeros. By faking their deaths, the Wedding participants triggered a series of internal decisions and growth processes within Arya that have become integral to her character development and will be of use to the Stark clan in the future.

3. This one is the wildest, so brace yourselves: what if Arya is actually a split personality and isn't with the Hound at all? Think about it: she really hasn't encountered anyone that interacted deeply with the Hound to a degree to which he revealed information that Arya did not already know. If this theory is correct, that means that all of the events in Arya's storyline since season 1 (where trauma created a mental break into psychosis, most likely triggered by the death of her father) correspond with events actually transpiring in reality, but may not be rooted in reality whatsoever. I won't even fathom a guess to the particulars of what is actually occurring around Arya, but its safe to say that if this is true, many of the events that pertain to Arya's storyline are symbolic and do not necessarily reflect reality, like the Red Wedding. The implications of this are HUGE and, if revealed correctly, will throw the War of the Five Kings into a completely different direction, most likely with Arya at the center of it all.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/board/thread/230911171?d=230911171#230911171

I found myself trying to make something out of nothing and creating random storylines and odd twists the whole time while watching 'True Detective'.....why do "we" feel the need to do such things.

This proposal is silly to me and I'm not even a "book reader"...not that it should make a difference but I'd suspect that if this theory were correct it'd be well talked about. This just soundsl like someone trying to be smart when they should just keep it quiet. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1903 on: June 12, 2014, 02:11:20 PM »

That's the dumbest thing I've read today.  And I work with the general public.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1904 on: June 12, 2014, 02:24:40 PM »
No shit...

I hate most theories on plot, as they most often tend to be completely and utterly wrong and almost always are based on the most mundane shit that some addicted fan twisted and hallucinated...much like this poor tookus. Holy hell...takes obsession to a new level when you create shit out of thin air.

Unless it's a massive troll, but I could totally see this being srs bznss.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: June 12, 2014, 02:33:28 PM »
Id say thats a troll or someone just trying to be funny.  I couldnt possibly think that was serious.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1906 on: June 12, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
Id say thats a troll or someone just trying to be funny.  I couldnt possibly think that was serious.

I think it was just snarky enough and had just the right amount of "I'm so clever" psuedo intellectual mambo jahambo that it was indeed real.....and this dude thought he had just revealed something great....

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1907 on: June 12, 2014, 09:43:43 PM »
I really hope the last scene of the episode is the epilogue of the book. Introducing that character would be a great way to end the season.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1908 on: June 12, 2014, 09:53:34 PM »
I really hope the last scene of the episode is the epilogue of the book. Introducing that character would be a great way to end the season.
The move I've thought about this, the more I think Stoneheart won't appear until the AFfC chapter where Brienne meets up with her. It would be a bigger "oh shit!" moment for TV if we have 6-7 episodes where there's always dialogue about how Dondarrion's outlaws are now lead by a woman until we finally see the woman.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1909 on: June 13, 2014, 04:03:21 AM »
The move I've thought about this, the more I think Stoneheart won't appear until the AFfC chapter where Brienne meets up with her. It would be a bigger "oh shit!" moment for TV if we have 6-7 episodes where there's always dialogue about how Dondarrion's outlaws are now lead by a woman until we finally see the woman.

Lena Headey posted an instagram picture before the season started of stones placed in a shape of a heart.  Many people took that to mean we will see her.  With the way the last episode ended (or didnt end) I am starting to think the finale might not have enough time to do a proper LS intro.  I also agree with Dimitrius in that there has been no build up of any talk/rumors of Freys being hung and of Dondarions people this season whcih makes me think that maybe it isnt going to happen.  I still do want the last scene to be of Brienne seeing her and then getting hung (or about to).  That would be a total awww shit moment to end the season, but then again there can be a few of those depending on how the show runners decide to pull this off.  I am very excited to see this, although I wont get to watch it until Monday  :'(

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1910 on: June 13, 2014, 06:01:11 AM »
All this small text makes me nervous  :lol

I think it's time they give us (13) or (16) episodes per season. This ten show season stuff sucks.

I believe GRRM said recently that he would like to see it extended to 13. Maybe a sign of things to come? I hope so.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1911 on: June 13, 2014, 07:38:10 AM »
I agree. Give us a few more episodes

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1912 on: June 13, 2014, 08:24:48 AM »
HBO has to consider this for the seasons going forward! The show has actually INCREASED viewership year after year (even though it's the most pirated show of all time) and the DVD/Blu-ray/merch sales of them have to be through the roof! This is a gold mine that they need to continue to exploit and more episodes would help.

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #1913 on: June 13, 2014, 09:47:03 AM »
Is Yara Greyjoy a Bolton???

Hear me out.

What if Yara has been a Bolton since her first appearance in the Iron Isles? My theory is that she is a Bolton (or a Bolton bastard like Ramsay) and, sent by Roose, infiltrated Balon Greyjoy's household during the real Yara's teenage years. She probably killed Yara and locked herself in her room for a long period of time and faked being sick until a reasonable amount had passed in which she could adapt to the real Yara's characteristics. When enough time had passed, she came out and would attribute looking slightly different to puberty taking over during sickness. She has used the last several years as an opportunity to gather information on the Greyjoys and the specifics of their arsenal, defenses, and personnel.

But wait, what about her interactions with Theon? First take into consideration that she never expected to see Theon: when she learned he was returning, she was extremely nervous and thought about killing him. However, she decides against it and the first time they meet (when she picks him up and rides him back to the castle), its very obvious that he doesn't recognize any of her features and doesn't know her as his sister. She plays this to her advantage, but it certainly doesn't bode well for their future relationship. Therefore, she manipulates the circumstances to have him sent off on a suicide mission in order to silence him. But he goes off course and takes Winterfell and gets captured. When Yara Bolton realizes this, she convinces Balon to let her go "rescue" him. Why would she do this if its her brother (Ramsay) who has taken Theon captive?

Because Theon is a Targaryen.

Balon took him captive long ago and passed him off as his own son but, in his dementia, forgot Theon's true patronage. But Yara Bolton found this out during the last days of her stay (between when she sent Theon off raiding and when she recieved news of his capture) and espionage at the Greyjoy's, and decided to betray her true family in order to steal Theon away. By stealing him away, she could return him to his sister in the south and therefore become integral to the Mother of Dragons and her conquest of Westeros. Her hope is that she will reserve a spot at least on the small council and one day be able to exercise revenge on Roose for his consignment of her as a teenager to a life of deceit, danger, and political intrigue.

Yara will soon become the most important pawn in the battle for the Iron Throne because, with Theon at Dany's side, the duo would be unstoppable in taming the dragons, distributing ruling regimes in the south, and conquering King's Landing as soon as possible.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0944947/board/thread/230936482?d=230936482#230936482

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1914 on: June 13, 2014, 10:38:25 AM »
IMDB posters, stop speculating. Please.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1915 on: June 13, 2014, 10:59:32 AM »
Is that the same person? Or are there just a lot of crazies on IMDB?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1916 on: June 13, 2014, 11:05:11 AM »
At a guess, these are people who haven't read the books, since neither line of speculation holds up for ten seconds if you have,  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1917 on: June 13, 2014, 12:07:00 PM »
Yeah, if we could stop having that shit posted here, that would be great.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1918 on: June 13, 2014, 12:09:52 PM »
Yeah, if we could stop having that shit posted here, that would be great.

What if the real reason you've asked for that stuff to stop being posted here is because you actually want it posted here?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1919 on: June 13, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »
I don't really see why people are so bothered by it. It's nonsense, but it's fairly interesting nonsense.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1920 on: June 13, 2014, 01:30:26 PM »
I don't really see why people are so bothered by it. It's nonsense, but it's fairly interesting nonsense.
Since we can all agree that it's nonsense, I guess that "interesting" is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline Joshin U

« Reply #1921 on: June 13, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
Complete nonsense, of course.  Same person for both, by the way.  ;)

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1922 on: June 13, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
Since we can all agree that it's nonsense, I guess that "interesting" is in the eye of the beholder.

This... I'm not so sure that, for me, something can be qualified as interesting if I know it's a load of shit. I mean, if you want to be annoying about it, sure, I suppose in all the realms of possibilities, his asinine theories could possibly come true. But for the sake of logic and sanity, let's be furrealz here; none of this is going to come true and it's all mumbo-jumbo (who, granted, was an awesome character /banjokazooie). That said, all my interests die with that thought. If there was a smidgen of anything logical in that mess of straws he pulled out of his butthole, then I'd give credit that it's interesting. But theories that come from the deepest depths of fandom and irrationalities are not interesting. To me, anyway. Some people eat that shit up. Then shit it back out and eat it up all over again. Nasties.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: June 13, 2014, 02:56:10 PM »
I'd rather see this kind of stuff pop up in the thread than that tiny text.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1924 on: June 13, 2014, 03:07:19 PM »
Isn't there a separate thread for people that have read the books? AFAIK, tiny text still didn't work correctly on the mobile versions of DTF as it still shows up small but still very readable.