Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 666487 times)

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1890 on: April 27, 2011, 11:01:22 AM »
This is just a personal opinion.

A lot of people like the fact that Marco's a super fun guy who adds some of that feeling to the songs.  But honestly, that to me is the biggest strike against him.  Almost all of my favorite least DT moments are "fun" sections like the weird falsetto at the end of Razor's Edge on CiM, or the circus thing in UAGM on Score.  And, at least to me, the lighter attitude towards the music has resulted in a lot of the crazier solo sections that detract from the songs.  I don't expect or want Mangini to just come in and magically change DT's songwriting on his own, but in the context of DT I do like that he brings a more serious demeanor to his work than Minneman.

See, I like the circus bit in UAGM.  One of the things that drew me into DT was that yeah they could write serious music, and it was interesting, and they're all amazing players, but that ability to bring some fun into the live show really made an impression on me.  It was pretty cool.

I do agree that Mike's falsetto nonsense on CiM ruined Razor's Edge though...

As for the rest of the episode, I loved how Lang handled the riffs, Marco was just a joy to watch and he knows how to take his time with the new stuff.  Donati was great jamming with them as well, especially with his interpretation of the songs.  I'm a bit surprised that the whole thing about being blown away is for the two big underdogs in this contest: Priester and Wildoer.  I'm not a fan of Priester at all, so I hope he's not the one they're talking about.  Hopefully Peter did those harsh vocals for the "DAY AFTER DAY" section in the audition.  I'd actually love to see that.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1891 on: April 27, 2011, 11:01:50 AM »
Please see my first post on this page regarding editing in TV shows.

Exactly.

But, again, the fact that James and JP felt that one aspect of one person's audition was "the most amazing so far," or whatever the wording was, doesn't by any stretch mean that that person was the best overall audition or that everyone in teh band felt that person would be the best fit.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #1892 on: April 27, 2011, 11:02:21 AM »
At this point, I think it's like 40% Mangini, 40% Wildoer, 15% Priester, 5% Minnemann.

Eh, I would drop Priester down to 10% and the other 3 to 30% apiece.

My take:

45% mangini, 40% wildoer, 10% priester, 5% minnemann.

This says that there's a 50% chance that the "wow he's the best so far, OMG!" clip was editing magic and not really from the remaining auditioners.  And, given that fact, that mangini has almost 10:1 odds (eddie trunk, minnemann's facebook, minnemann already being in a side project with them) of being the guy.

If that clip *was* from the remaining guys, and they did beat out mangini/minnemann, I think the 4:1 odds on Wildoer (probably better drummer than priester, played with JLB before and so chemistry is more known than with anyone else, etc) make sense.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1893 on: April 27, 2011, 11:04:29 AM »
I was a bit surprised and put off by the "they interpreted it" comments, at first when he said that about Lang I thought he was saying it as a good thing. But i think people are right that it's just a kinder way of saying they didn't feel it fit right, and we don't really get to see it all.

Personally I liked Mangini better than Minnemann and I even thought Donati was better in that video. But I don't know anything about drumming and I'm sure the band were a better judge of who is in the running from playing with them for a few hours than me watching a couple of 30 second clips. I don't think they'll have a problem of any of those drummers not being good enough so whoever fits best with them will be the best choice.

It seems weird that they didn't show that comment in the second episode if it was from Minnemann's audition. It seemed to fit as well because James seemed the most impressed.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1894 on: April 27, 2011, 11:06:22 AM »
It seems weird that they didn't show that comment in the second episode if it was from Minnemann's audition.

Why?  They already teased it at the end of Ep. 1.  Given that they have several hours' worth of footage (3 hours of audition per drummer), they aren't going to include everything.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1895 on: April 27, 2011, 11:06:33 AM »
You're right. I take that back.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1896 on: April 27, 2011, 11:07:21 AM »
GOOOOO MARCOOOO!
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1897 on: April 27, 2011, 11:07:27 AM »
the awful fast thing in TRoAE (arguably my least favorite part of any DT song).

Which part? I think I know what you're talking about but I wanna know before I hurt you.

The fast thing before the band comes back in and it kicks into an keyboard solo (that's actually quite good, mind you). I think JP does some unison tapping with it actually, so it's technically not just a keyboard part.

It just always struck me as completely inappropriate for the song, since TRoAE is so heavy throughout and that part is really light.

omg jamesman doesn't have to hurt you, cause I'm going to do it for him!  That part is sooooo cool.  Too light?  Whaa?   :censored

;)

Guess it's just not my thing. I don't mind having dynamic changes in songs, but that one sort of stuck out to me, since there aren't good transitions in or out, and it's not around long enough to establish itself.

I'm glad some people like it though--it at least justifies the decision to put it there. I just thought DT went crazy with that. But then again, some people thought they went crazy with SC, and I'm not one of them...so there you have it.

Wow, I don't make sense today  :lol.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #1898 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:07 AM »
You're right. I take that back.

Perhaps they edited MM into that scene to through us off?  :biggrin:
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1899 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:24 AM »
It seems weird that they didn't show that comment in the second episode if it was from Minnemann's audition.

Why?  They already teased it at the end of Ep. 1.  Given that they have several hours' worth of footage (3 hours of audition per drummer), they aren't going to include everything.

They put the other quote from James in I think, and given that they made such a big deal out of it it seems a strange thing to miss out just because it was in the teaser. And I'm pretty sure they're not going to miss out James saying "We'd like to welcome you to the family" just because it's been shown before...

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1900 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:49 AM »
I think I like Minneman better than Mangini, but I'm really looking forward to hearing Wildoer on Friday.

As for the comment about them not playing the songs the right way (or the normal way), I think that goes towards the band recognizing that there are a lot of "air drummers" in the audience who like to "play along" with the band during their concerts.  So if you're used to a certain beat or riff that MP played, they probably don't want the fans to be playing along and then go, "WTF was that?"  It'd be like Neil Peart changing up the beginning of Subdivisions or something like that.   ;D

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1901 on: April 27, 2011, 11:09:53 AM »
Incidentally...

187 Guests are viewing this topic.

What are you waiting for? Get off your arses and register!

Yes, you. It's well good. You get to talk to people like me! And Peter Wildoer! And did I mention me!?

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1902 on: April 27, 2011, 11:10:14 AM »
That still leaves the quote of, "He was being Dream Theater." as unknown.

« Reply #1903 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:47 AM »
Incidentally...

Yes, you. It's well good. You get to talk to people like me! And Peter Wildoer! And did I mention me!?

And you get to discuss Kevin Moore! And maybe even The Count of Tuscany!
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1904 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:58 AM »
That still leaves the quote of, "He was being Dream Theater." as unknown.
I wouldn't be surprised if the unplaced quotes appeared in a sort of round-up - between the last audition, and the phone call.

"Marco was brilliant." (Actuality from earlier that day: "That was magical.") "He was being Dream Theater."

Incidentally...

And you get to discuss Kevin Moore! And maybe even The Count of Tuscany!
Exactly. So come and have a taste! (A rare vintage!)

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1905 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »

They put the other quote from James in I think, and given that they made such a big deal out of it it seems a strange thing to miss out just because it was in the teaser. And I'm pretty sure they're not going to miss out James saying "We'd like to welcome you to the family" just because it's been shown before...

The reason they didn't show you exactly who James was talking about is to keep up the suspense and to have you keep tuning in.  It's called a hook.  If they played it in episode 2 in context, it would totally deflate the tension going into ep 3.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline emtee

« Reply #1906 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:26 AM »
So far only Mangini has played the opening fill of Nightmare correctly. And so far, even though I appreciate the
talent level of all the 'world class drummers' nobody is close to being on the same level as MP. That's my opinion
only and I'm sure many of you will disagree. Mike has a 'coolness' factor and a fluid style to his playing that made
very complicated things seems effortless...and while doing it, pointing at the audience, playing catch with sticks.
The more I watch the vids the more I realize how elite MP really is. He damn sure deserved every award he ever
won.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1907 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:30 AM »
After watching a third time, I think Minnemann is awesome but he has a little goofyness to him.  That OK, but it's not DT in the long run.

Mangini is perfect.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1908 on: April 27, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »
Here's another interesting observation:  It could just be intentional to throw us off, but...Mangini is the only one they've shown taking a group photo with the band.  Just sayin'...

@Aniland:  Whoever that was said about, I think that quote will show up when they reveal who it is.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1909 on: April 27, 2011, 11:13:48 AM »
Is it weird that I'm the only one here who just... didn't... like Donati's audition?  It just didn't sound like DT to me at all.

Like, there's the new riff that you see both Mangini and Donati play.  And because of the way Mangini plays the riff, the riff itself sounds better and more interesting.  Donati didn't give me that quality at all.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1910 on: April 27, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »
Is it weird that I'm the only one here who just... didn't... like Donati's audition?  It just didn't sound like DT to me at all.

Like, there's the riff that you see both Mangini and Donati play.  And because of the way Mangini plays the riff, the riff itself sounds better and more interesting.  Donati didn't give me that quality at all.

I agree with you. I think Roddy and Donati have been the weakest thus far.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1911 on: April 27, 2011, 11:15:48 AM »
Here's another interesting observation:  It could just be intentional to throw us off, but...Mangini is the only one they've shown taking a group photo with the band.  Just sayin'...

I think I saw them take one with another drummer too, can't remember for sure though.

How about the fact that Mangini basically got like 70% of the first video dedicated to him while this last video was split between 4 different drummers.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1912 on: April 27, 2011, 11:16:07 AM »
Guys, new album title and artwork announced! :neverusethis:

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1913 on: April 27, 2011, 11:16:47 AM »
BTW, happy 2000 posts Bosk. :P

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1914 on: April 27, 2011, 11:16:58 AM »
So far only Mangini has played the opening fill of Nightmare correctly.

Good point.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #1915 on: April 27, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »

I noticed that as well. I won't jump to conclusions because of that, though.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1916 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:01 AM »
if this is set up like a mystery (which makes sense), then the most likely guy in the video is the one who it is not.
that is just what I am thinking

Offline TL

« Reply #1917 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:31 AM »
I'd say, at this point, it's definitely down to MM.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1918 on: April 27, 2011, 11:18:48 AM »
The reason they didn't show you exactly who James was talking about is to keep up the suspense and to have you keep tuning in.  It's called a hook.  If they played it in episode 2 in context, it would totally deflate the tension going into ep 3.

I understand the concept... but it showed the other comment, it said at the end of the episode that Minnemann was the only other one in the running so it's obvious how they impressed they were with him.

« Reply #1919 on: April 27, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »

I think I saw them take one with another drummer too, can't remember for sure though.

How about the fact that Mangini basically got like 70% of the first video dedicated to him while this last video was split between 4 different drummers.

Not to mention all that lead-up with him saying "This isn't a gig to me" etc. The audition time was pretty similar, but there were all these extras, like DT wants you to get to know him.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1920 on: April 27, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
if this is set up like a mystery (which makes sense), then the most likely guy in the video is the one who it is not.
that is just what I am thinking

As cool as that it would be, that would imply that so far Derek Roddy is the top choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1921 on: April 27, 2011, 11:19:22 AM »
@Aniland:  Whoever that was said about, I think that quote will show up when they reveal who it is.
Does that mean....you think it's Minnemann???

:omg:
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Dream_Theater01

« Reply #1922 on: April 27, 2011, 11:19:28 AM »
I haven't had a chance to watch part 2 yet, but I'll watch later.

Will part 3 reveal the new drummer?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1923 on: April 27, 2011, 11:19:39 AM »

I understand the concept... but it showed the other comment, it said at the end of the episode that Minnemann was the only other one in the running so it's obvious how they impressed they were with him.

Except they said minnemann and mangini

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: April 27, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
So far only Mangini has played the opening fill of Nightmare correctly.

Good point.

Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E