Poll

How do you like Mangini's drumming on The Enemy Inside?

Incredible
95 (32.6%)
Great
144 (49.5%)
Good
45 (15.5%)
Average
6 (2.1%)
Bad
0 (0%)
Terrible
1 (0.3%)

Total Members Voted: 281

Author Topic: Mangini on The Enemy Inside  (Read 8966 times)

Offline JPX

Re: Mangini on The Enemy Inside
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2013, 08:26:50 AM »
I didn't vote, but I will comment. I ended up listenening to the song a 3rd time last night with headphones.
Normally I don't complain about mixing too much, but boy did I notice that the drums had a lack of clarity and sounded downright muddy when MM did anything fast.
Does anyone else concur? Maybe it was a quality issue?

Offline lyfeternl

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2013, 08:31:01 AM »
Went with Great. I'm willing to bet this is just the tip of the iceberg concerning insane Manginilicious drumming.
^ this absolutely.

Agreed.

/thread
"...the last is just a flurry of notes...so just do it and hope you don't suck..." - JP

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2013, 08:52:38 AM »
Better than anything he did on ADTOE.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2013, 08:54:24 AM »
I keep opening this thread thinking I'm going to see an interview of Mangini talking about the song
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Whatsername

• Love is the Dance of Eternity
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2013, 08:57:13 AM »
I keep opening this thread thinking I'm going to see an interview of Mangini talking about the song

I originally opened this thread thinking that. xD

I voted 'great' because I was thoroughly impressed with his drums. In fact it's my favorite part of the track, but that means there's a lot more genius coming. I personally really like the snare on this track. The kind of fatter sound works really well, in my opinion. I'm also not that much of a technical person. For me it came down to my initial reaction when I listened to the song. It began and my first thought was HELLO MANGINI, NICE TO SEE YOU TOO. So I'm happy. :biggrin:
We move in circles. Balanced all the while on a gleaming razor's edge.
A perfect sphere colliding with our fate. This story ends where it began.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2013, 09:06:41 AM »
I didn't vote, but I will comment. I ended up listenening to the song a 3rd time last night with headphones.
Normally I don't complain about mixing too much, but boy did I notice that the drums had a lack of clarity and sounded downright muddy when MM did anything fast.
Does anyone else concur? Maybe it was a quality issue?

No I agree with you. It's mainly the snare that was a problem for me. That muddiness isn't that apparent to me unless I'm listening with headphones, in fact.

And this is the downloaded file I'm talking about.
James LaBrie: It's Always an octave higher.

Offline Voices

• Like a scream but sort of silent.
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2013, 01:10:15 PM »
With exception of Outcry, that song surpasses everything he did back in ADTOE. And I do like ADTOE.

Offline johncal

« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2013, 04:16:56 PM »
I see Portnoy voted

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2013, 04:21:08 PM »
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2013, 04:37:30 PM »
Seriously? How can you see that?

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »
I believe he is referring to the "terrible" vote.

I'll be the first here to spoil the party a bit ... and say that I'm slightly disappointed by Mangini's playing. That is, provided this song's playing is indicative of the rest of the album.
Reason being, I kinda expected this "personnel upgrade" to bring some really fresh stuff to the band. TEI however sounds rather plain metal drumming, even, dare I say it, MP-ish.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 04:54:17 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2013, 05:15:07 PM »

I'll be the first here to spoil the party a bit ... and say that I'm slightly disappointed by Mangini's playing. That is, provided this song's playing is indicative of the rest of the album.
Reason being, I kinda expected this "personnel upgrade" to bring some really fresh stuff to the band. TEI however sounds rather plain metal drumming, even, dare I say it, MP-ish.

Maybe because TEI is supposed to be a plain radio friendly metal song , don't believe it will be a indicative of the rest of the album
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2013, 05:17:06 PM »

Maybe because TEI is supposed to be a plain radio friendly metal song , don't believe it will be a indicative of the rest of the album
I agree, don't let your hopes get dashed by the single. When JP said people would freak out about MM's drumming, I'm fairly certain he wasn't referring to TEI....  :)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2013, 05:24:14 PM »
I agree, don't let your hopes get dashed by the single. When JP said people would freak out about MM's drumming, I'm fairly certain he wasn't referring to TEI....  :)

Yeah this... I wouldn't worry about MM's drumming based on this tune. I think his drumming in this song was awesome, but the song itself isn't overly technical, its a pretty straight forward metal, rocking tune.  I wait for the album to judge MM's work completely.

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2013, 05:32:44 PM »
I think people should be realistic with what they're expecting from MM on this upcoming album. I think his playing on TEI is very representative of his style. We could possibly get a little more crazy technique and intricate and musically interesting parts on the next album in terms of drumming, but I don't think it's going to be that much different from this combined with ADToE.

In my opinion, this expectation has its roots in the drum auditions. People forget how many people wanted other drummers for precisely this reason-- that MM's parts would be less musically "interesting" than say Marco's. MM is a classically trained rock and heavy music drummer, with fluency in many of their subgenres. His playing on TEI is indicative of that overall style. I think we will get a little more, but I don't expect him to take over the album with his playing. That is not why DT picked him. The guys who TRIED to do too much of what I'm sayng MM won't do, didn't get the gig. If DT were going with guys who could play the most technical intricate and interesting drum parts in DT songs, they should have gone with Virgil. But they did not.

TEI is a great piece of drumming on many levels. I also hope to see a bit more, but I'm not going to be heartbroken or shocked if we only get a smidge extra. We shall see.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2013, 05:35:32 PM »
I think people should be realistic with what they're expecting from MM on this upcoming album. I think his playing on TEI is very representative of his style. We could possibly get a little more crazy technique and intricate and musically interesting parts on the next album in terms of drumming, but I don't think it's going to be that much different from this combined with ADToE.

In my opinion, this expectation has its roots in the drum auditions. People forget how many people wanted other drummers for precisely this reason-- that MM's parts would be less musically "interesting" than say Marco's. MM is a classically trained rock and heavy music drummer, with fluency in many of their subgenres. His playing on TEI is indicative of that overall style. I think we will get a little more, but I don't expect him to take over the album with his playing. That is not why DT picked him. The guys who TRIED to do too much of what I'm sayng MM won't do, didn't get the gig. If DT were going with guys who could play the most technical intricate and interesting drum parts in DT songs, they should have gone with Virgil. But they did not.

TEI is a great piece of drumming on many levels. I also hope to see a bit more, but I'm not going to be heartbroken or shocked if we only get a smidge extra. We shall see.

I tend to disagree with your analyses of most of those things....but I don't know if I have enough willpower to argue my points right now :P

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2013, 05:39:46 PM »
I definitely don't want to come across as an MM hater because I think the guy is awesome, but I would argue that  exactly in the straightforward songs an excellent drummer can shine. The Sound of Muzak or Tom Sawyer being examples.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Tis BOOLsheet

• Banned
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2013, 05:43:12 PM »
I definitely don't want to come across as an MM hater because I think the guy is awesome, but I would argue that  exactly in the straightforward songs an excellent drummer can shine. The Sound of Muzak or Tom Sawyer being examples.

I didnt mean to say he won't shine. I think he already does and will continue to.

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2013, 07:35:32 PM »

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »

Offline erciccio

« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2013, 10:46:49 PM »

He will be the snare drum in the next CD, so at least he won't complaing about the terrible drum mix...
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2013, 10:50:45 PM »

Good point.  As much of a beast as Mangini is from a technical standpoint, it will be interesting to see how many air drum-worthy parts the new album has.  Portnoy, for all of his predictability and re-using of certain fills and whatnot, almost always had fun drum parts that you couldn't help but air drum; I call in the Neil Peart influence. ;)  Mangini had some moments like that on ADTOE, but not a ton, so I am hoping he ups his game in that regard on the new record.  I know a lot of people want to hear him do all kinds of crazy technical shit that few others can do, but I don't care about that.  Give me memorable and fun drum parts.

Offline wolven74

• DTF.org Alumni
  • My body is not well
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2013, 12:25:15 AM »
Everything is immaterial. Do you know that reality is immaterial? This is not reality.
In what friggin' universe is a 68 minute long album "short"?

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2013, 05:51:08 AM »
He's doing nothing really that's unexpected or incredible or anything in this song, but there isn't really the space for it. It's yet to be seen how he handles the more groovy songs on the album, where the space is given for him to act (and not act).

Online Dream Team

« Reply #60 on: August 07, 2013, 07:14:48 AM »

Good point.  As much of a beast as Mangini is from a technical standpoint, it will be interesting to see how many air drum-worthy parts the new album has.  Portnoy, for all of his predictability and re-using of certain fills and whatnot, almost always had fun drum parts that you couldn't help but air drum; I call in the Neil Peart influence. ;)  Mangini had some moments like that on ADTOE, but not a ton, so I am hoping he ups his game in that regard on the new record.  I know a lot of people want to hear him do all kinds of crazy technical shit that few others can do, but I don't care about that.  Give me memorable and fun drum parts.

Yes; MP's greatest strength BY FAR was creating incredibly cool and catchy beats and rhythms that combined technicality with "air-drummingness" to the max. IMO MP's run from WDADU through TOT is unparalleled so I have doubts that MM can match that, whatever his technical abilities are, but I sure hope to be proven wrong.

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2013, 12:10:35 PM »
Awwww man I'm rewatching the Spirit Carries On documentary....it's so much more awesome seeing it after knowing that he was the choice, and having ADTOE in my memory already :) He was so much more committed than the rest of the guys.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
Awwww man I'm rewatching the Spirit Carries On documentary....it's so much more awesome seeing it after knowing that he was the choice, and having ADTOE in my memory already :) He was so much more committed than the rest of the guys.

You know, the band said that they never auditioned him as a ringer, they didn't know who they'd pick. But the guys in charge of editing the documentary clearly gave him the most screen time, so they kind of gave it away.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline eviljust

• I'm just a Dreamer...
  • HIC MANEMIBUS OPTIME
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Is there anyone trying to drum along TEI?
This story ends where it began.

me on lastfm

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2013, 12:53:46 PM »

You know, the band said that they never auditioned him as a ringer, they didn't know who they'd pick. But the guys in charge of editing the documentary clearly gave him the most screen time, so they kind of gave it away.

I know it's totally obvious :P Especially when with the two guys immediately after him, the band was sorta like mmmmeh :D But then they heard Marco and they were like O.O

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2013, 12:54:42 PM »
Is there anyone trying to drum along TEI?

I reckon as soon as I return to my college town for the fall and get my drums set back up, I will! Maybe I will FINALLY post cover vids on YouTube. I've literally intended to do that for the past four years, for songs like Panic Attack and a couple others

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2013, 01:31:08 PM »
When I moved to a new city and into a studio flat - I sold my kit because there was nowhere to keep it and I no longer wanted to be in a band.

It was a black Mapex Meridian Birch 6 piece with a double pedal and a ton of cymbals !

Offline The Boomr

• The Boomr
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2013, 01:51:09 PM »
When I moved to a new city and into a studio flat - I sold my kit because there was nowhere to keep it and I no longer wanted to be in a band.

It was a black Mapex Meridian Birch 6 piece with a double pedal and a ton of cymbals !

Awwww that's sad!! I have a sort of amalgam of different stuff, LOTS of cymbals, that's the MP influence for ya ;) I think I'm going to be buying a cheap electronic kit after I get back, actually, so I can practice in my apartment without noise complaints :) I'm starting up a rock band too FINALLY

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: August 07, 2013, 01:55:49 PM »
I'd been in and out of bands from 1997 to about 2012 and i'd just gotten tired of it.  **

I need to find a local jam night where I can get my drumming out :)

** Plus - helping my bro's business of filming live bands means I can get onstage at gigs with a camera . It's like you're in the band but without any of the shit that goes with it. :D

p.s I have found that Stagg stuff is actually awesome for the price. I had a £25 china cymbal that sounded EXACTLY how I wanted. Plus theyre £2 sticks are the perfect weight for me and their mid range hardware is pretty decent. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 02:02:52 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: August 07, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »
Somebody just posted my thoughts to MP forum:
"Mangini is the Rudess of the drums, and I mean that in terms of both positive and negative connotations "
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E