Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646246 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3745 on: May 16, 2016, 05:49:12 AM »
That last scene at the wall which was sort of like a small council meeting was awesome.

What I really liked about that episode was the merging of characters into locations.

The Wall currently has a nice group of people all together for the first time, Jon, Tormund, Sansa, Melisandre, Davos, Brienne, Pod.... 2000 wildings.  The scene with Brienne and Melisandre was awesome and the look on Davos face when she said she killed Stannis!

Dany and her boys meet up again. Got to say, those guys finding her was pretty much pointless, but that last scene with her coming out of the fires was awesome.  Sort of similar to previous seasons where she would free the slaves, looks like her army just got huge.

7 years to end slavery.. I wonder if they will get the 7 years time or Dany comes back and just takes over again with her rule.  Watching Tyrion do his thing is fun, but I wonder what the real meaning of those negotiations turns out to be.

Littlefinger continues his plotting and scheming.  He has little John in the back of his hand, that kid is easily swayed by toys. Actually was surprised he supporting saving Sansa since he didn't seem to really like her much.  As for LF's last line about entering the Fray, was that a subtle hint of involvement of the Freys?  The Freys would be on the Bolton side from the Red Wedding, but we haven't seen or heard of them since. 

The scene from the Iron Islands, another meeting of characters again, was less interesting.  Nice to see Theon support his sister, but where was Euron?  Looks like next week is the Kingsmoot.

The small council meeting in Kings Landing was interesting again, looks like we got some plot advancement there and a plan for taking down the Faith Militant, everyone's got skin in the game there (besides Pycelle that is).

Another slow scene with the High Sparrow and we get to see Margery and Loras.  I think one or both could be dead by the end of the season. 

Oh.. and "the pink letter" from Ramsay, sounds like Shaggydog made a nice rug!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #3746 on: May 16, 2016, 05:54:21 AM »
Yeah, truly great episode once again. Sansa-Jon reunion was probably my favorite just because how long we've been waiting for something like that. The ending was great too.

Him getting the Vale joining with the Frey to fight Ramsay is another great setup I can't wait to see how that unfolds. I smell a chance the Frey finally pay for the red wedding.

I think he just meant "join the fray", as in "join the fight". I don't think Walder Frey will have anything to do with it.

You're exactly right.

Littlefinger continues his plotting and scheming.  He has little John in the back of his hand, that kid is easily swayed by toys. Actually was surprised he supporting saving Sansa since he didn't seem to really like her much.  As for LF's last line about entering the Fray, was that a subtle hint of involvement of the Freys?  The Freys would be on the Bolton side from the Red Wedding, but we haven't seen or heard of them since. 

Oh.. and "the pink letter" from Ramsay, sounds like Shaggydog made a nice rug!

You said little John. Did you mean Robin? He is Robin on the show but Robert in the books because he was named for Robert Baratheon.

Like BlackInk said, fray doesn't mean the Freys. Fray means battle or conflict or fight, etc.

It was nice to finally see the pink letter though.  :)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3747 on: May 16, 2016, 06:00:11 AM »
Meant Robin lol but that comment about Fray while I didn't take it to mean the freys, seemed like it could be a way of the writers sneaking a hint in that the Freys will be involved and should be involved since they are in Winterfell in the books

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3748 on: May 16, 2016, 06:09:20 AM »
After this episode it suddenly feels like all sides are gearing up for war. Knowing this show it will probably take a while though. And this is all for the lesser war. There's still the bigger one coming, I just wonder if only ~13 more episode will have time for it all. I mean obviously they've thought things through, just thinking 13 is a small number for all the things that still need to happen. Not to mention Tyrion and Dany still being in Meereen which is really really far away, and they don't really look like they're about to leave immediately.

Also, Tormund looking at Brienne like that was hilarious.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3749 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:05 AM »
I am pretty sure the show is going to be more than 7 seasons. Wait...where did you get 13 episodes from? There are 16 left if it only goes seven seasons.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3750 on: May 16, 2016, 06:16:42 AM »
Why do you say 13? If we assume next season is the last (I can't see that being the case anymore) then shouldn't that be 16 more episodes?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3751 on: May 16, 2016, 06:28:29 AM »
D&D said they want S7 to be seven episodes and S8 to be six episodes. They plan to wrap this up in 13 more episodes after S6 but nothing is set in stone yet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3752 on: May 16, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »
there were a lot of complaints from the room at the end of that ep, but I thought it was fantastic.

someone said it, but the converging of different characters is awesome.

Interested to see what kinda bullshit Cersei and Jamie have cooking.  Same with Littlefinger... I don't want another backstab from him, that would just be so fucking annoying.  It would be cool if after 6 seasons we finally got some #justiceforNed and Littlefinger bit the dust.  or snow.

Bastardbowl confirmed!!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3753 on: May 16, 2016, 06:48:43 AM »
Another amazing episode. My wife and I cheered when Sansa was reunited with John. I can't wait to see where all of this going. It looks like it's going to be the wildlings & the knights of the vale vs. the Boltons and the other turn coat houses of the North. I'm curious about Tyrions plot line right now. I'm enjoying it but for the first time in the show he doesn't seem important to the end game. It will be interesting to see where his story leads.

My wife and I were discussing who we hated more: Joffrey or Ramsey. They are both fantastic villains but I think I still hate Joffrey more just because Ramsey seems plain crazy while Joffrey was just a spoiled asshole.

If they stick to the 13 more episodes I think it's plausible to tie everything up. There are still 6 episodes left of this season and I'm guessing that a lot of stuff will be concluded by the end of this season. The battle of the North. The battle of the Faith vs. the Crown. I'm also guessing Danny will begin her trip west by the end.

And Tormund is my favorite "minor" character on the show.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3754 on: May 16, 2016, 06:49:52 AM »
D&D said they want S7 to be seven episodes and S8 to be six episodes. They plan to wrap this up in 13 more episodes after S6 but nothing is set in stone yet.

Now that you mention it, I do remember them saying they wanted to do truncated seasons for the last ones.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3755 on: May 16, 2016, 06:59:35 AM »
*Yawn* Yet another boring episode with no advancement of plot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3756 on: May 16, 2016, 07:03:09 AM »
Yeah, truly great episode once again. Sansa-Jon reunion was probably my favorite just because how long we've been waiting for something like that. The ending was great too.

Him getting the Vale joining with the Frey to fight Ramsay is another great setup I can't wait to see how that unfolds. I smell a chance the Frey finally pay for the red wedding.

I think he just meant "join the fray", as in "join the fight". I don't think Walder Frey will have anything to do with it.

That's correct, I rewatched that scene and sure enough that's what it meant.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3757 on: May 16, 2016, 07:04:36 AM »
:corn

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3758 on: May 16, 2016, 07:06:14 AM »
And Tormund is my favorite "minor" character on the show.

Same here, I love that character.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3759 on: May 16, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »
Goddamnit, Hef!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3760 on: May 16, 2016, 08:41:04 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3761 on: May 16, 2016, 11:14:12 AM »
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline masterthes

« Reply #3762 on: May 16, 2016, 11:52:56 AM »
I think the Tullys are supposed to be joining up as well, and I thought I heard there was going to be some sort of payback with the Freys, so we'll have to wait and see. Also, a tidbit for the men, that was not a body double at the end

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3763 on: May 16, 2016, 12:14:19 PM »
Also, a tidbit for the men, that was not a body double at the end

I was curious about that  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3764 on: May 16, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
That Daenerys plan though.. 20% plan 80% luck I'd say. It must have went something like:
Daario: So you know for sure they'll all be there for that meeting with you?
Daenerys: No.
Jorah: But you know for sure that it will be an indoor meeting?
Daario: However you know for sure the fire in that place will be on stands and not on the walls?
Jorah: Is there a plan B?
Daario: Sounds like plan A is tight, good luck Khaleesi.

Nailed it. :lol

Yeah, if I just think about the show as unrelated to the books and consider it just an entertainment (so that the facts like Theon getting to Iron Islands from someplace north of Winterfell with scarce provisions, if any, only a horse and no money in two damn episodes, or the fact Jon never asks about Arya when it should've been one of the first things he asked Sansa about, or the sheer plot convenience in that final Dany scene), it was an alright episode.

Tormund reactions were totally hilarious. :lol

Also, a tidbit for the men, that was not a body double at the end

I was curious about that  :lol

Well Emilia said she didn't want to do any gratitious nude scenes but she was willing to do nude scenes if she felt the plot demanded that. Wonder why her hair didn't burn though.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3765 on: May 16, 2016, 12:27:08 PM »
I thought it was a body double considering her stance against doing nude scenes a few years back, but I guess she felt it was important to give us something new to fap over. Though, I have to say that even though she was dirty as all hell, Margaery still looked pretty good for a filthy person.  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3766 on: May 16, 2016, 12:38:41 PM »
Yeah, if I just think about the show as unrelated to the books and consider it just an entertainment (so that the facts like Theon getting to Iron Islands from someplace north of Winterfell with scarce provisions, if any, only a horse and no money in two damn episodes, or the fact Jon never asks about Arya when it should've been one of the first things he asked Sansa about, or the sheer plot convenience in that final Dany scene), it was an alright episode.

And it looks like LF makes his way up north next episode from the trailer (looks like he has a scene with Sansa and it is snowy).  It's crazy how quickly people travel in this show now compared to when it first started, but it's TV and I can't make a big deal about people just making there way to places if the plot doesn't need to detail what happens along those journeys.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3767 on: May 16, 2016, 12:42:03 PM »
Totally think it was the right decision to go nude for that final scene. Any of the alternatives would not have been as impactful. Like, if she still had clothes everyone would ask why the clothes didn't burn, or if she was naked, but the camera kept reluctantly avoid those parts. Any of those two would have damaged the power of the scene, so I'm glad she agreed to that.

or the fact Jon never asks about Arya when it should've been one of the first things he asked Sansa about

I got the feeling they had been talking a while once we see them again eating soup. It seemed that Jon had already told Sansa about the whole being murdered thing, so I think they covered that stuff already. The fault then might be that they didn't show us that, but I did get the feeling they had already caught up some.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3768 on: May 16, 2016, 12:43:51 PM »
But Sansa hardly knows anything about Arya either so I agree, they likely spoke off screen but that conversation is not so important to the plot at this point IMO

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3769 on: May 16, 2016, 12:49:56 PM »
I would imagine the conversation in the book would last longer and we'd probably get a more detailed exchange.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3770 on: May 16, 2016, 12:50:55 PM »

And it looks like LF makes his way up north next episode from the trailer (looks like he has a scene with Sansa and it is snowy).  It's crazy how quickly people travel in this show now compared to when it first started, but it's TV and I can't make a big deal about people just making there way to places if the plot doesn't need to detail what happens along those journeys.
Catelyn decided to go to King's Landing from Winterfell in her last scene in Season 1 Episode 2, and showed up in King's Landing in her first scene of Season 1 Episode 3. She also made some other impressive journeys such as from Robb's camp somewhere in the Riverlands to the Stormlands and then back, across enemy lines, pretty quickly. The show always had pretty fast travel between episodes when it wanted, and it can be a little jarring when someone shows up somewhere you don't expect them, but I think it's ultimately for the best. You just have to assume that a certain amount of time passes between episodes; the show has been pretty vague about the timeline of events (as GRRM is in his books, he doesn't like pinning things down with exact numbers as I don't think he is very good at that) but I think it's meant to feel as though it has been quite a few years since the beginning (to account for child actors growing up and such), unlike the books where it has all happened within two years.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3771 on: May 16, 2016, 12:55:16 PM »

Oh well, I haven't watched the preview. Will do so now.

But Sansa hardly knows anything about Arya either so I agree, they likely spoke off screen but that conversation is not so important to the plot at this point IMO

I really can't take this serious. Old Nan's pies and the good soup aren't important to the plot, Jon's bond with Arya is obviously more important to the plot than that small talk they had. Sansa knows Arya is alive, Jon doesn't. (mild ADWD spoilers) Jon is willing to go to some great length for Arya in ADWD (even though it ends up being Alys Karstark), and here he doesn't even ask about his most beloved sibling. Not buying the whole "happened offscreen" excuse here one bit.

Catelyn decided to go to King's Landing from Winterfell in her last scene in Season 1 Episode 2, and showed up in King's Landing in her first scene of Season 1 Episode 3. She also made some other impressive journeys such as from Robb's camp somewhere in the Riverlands to the Stormlands and then back, across enemy lines, pretty quickly. The show always had pretty fast travel between episodes when it wanted, and it can be a little jarring when someone shows up somewhere you don't expect them, but I think it's ultimately for the best. You just have to assume that a certain amount of time passes between episodes; the show has been pretty vague about the timeline of events (as GRRM is in his books, he doesn't like pinning things down with exact numbers as I don't think he is very good at that) but I think it's meant to feel as though it has been quite a few years since the beginning (to account for child actors growing up and such), unlike the books where it has all happened within two years.

Yeah, like Myrcella being in Dorne "for years", Fat Walda getting pregnant and giving birth for a boy while Gilly's son is still a baby at this point. But hey, I agree the timeline inconsistencies were there from the very beginning. The jokes about LF's teleport machine started up in Season 2 I think.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3772 on: May 16, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
I liked episode 4, another good one. The only questionable parts for me were Osha's death (it was a good enough death scene for her, but I just wonder if they need to keep going so far with Ramsay being uber successful now that he is Warden of The North) and Danaerys' ending scene. Honestly I thought it was pretty lame. I obviously just don't enjoy "Dany is a badass" stuff as much as some people seem to, and honestly while I was willing to forgive some of the Season 4 / 5 criticisms of her acting due to the writing and being stuck in Meereen (which doesn't seem to lead to good scenes for even some of the best characters and actors), I think Emilia Clarke's acting is pretty weak. Danaerys and the dragons have led to some of the best triumphant moments of the series; the birth of dragons at the end of season 1 and the sack of Astapor in season 3 episode 4 are excellent. But the "Mhysa" ending and this bit just felt a bit like forced attempts to repeat those moments that fell flat for me.

Also, while I'm not going to try to argue that "Danaerys isn't immune to fire, GRRM said the birth of dragons was a particular special event" since the show already foreshadowed Danaerys surviving the fire with her not being burned by the dragon egg or hot water (which I think was a good move for the show)... I still think it would be better if her resistance to fire was a more mysterious, somewhat mystical quality rather than a literal, mundane invulnerability that can be exploited at will for practical purposes. Now that it's reestablished "No, she is completely immune to fire even if there is no deep significance to the event or ritualistic trappings, she just can't be burnt dude!", I'm going to find myself noticing scenarios where she could just tactically exploit this invincibility to solve problems.

That's not even mentioning that the plan seemed a bit poor as has been pointed out in this thread :lol: Not sure why the show didn't have her escape and earn Dothraki followers by having Drogon arrive... as it stands I'm not really sure why the rest of the Dothraki would follow her after that anyway; weird woman kills the Khals by starting a fire and isn't burned by it seems more likely to make the rest of the warriors think "Witch!" and try to kill her (we saw how much they liked Mirri Maz Duur in season 1). A woman mounted upon a dragon (who can also fuck things up with fire) seems much more likely to earn the loyalty of a culture which "follows strength" and is deeply connected to their horses as mounts ("A Khal who cannot ride is no Khal").

But yeah, it was a great episode apart from not being too impressed by the Danaerys stuff. I was glad we got a longer one this time, though I was a little disappointed when I realised the last part was going to be spent on Danaerys when I wondered if we might be seeing the Kingsmoot at the Iron Islands. Hopeful for that in the next couple of episodes.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3773 on: May 16, 2016, 01:55:45 PM »
I really can't take this serious. Old Nan's pies and the good soup aren't important to the plot, Jon's bond with Arya is obviously more important to the plot than that small talk they had.

It's not like the soup was the point of the scene, their small talk lead into the "take back Winterfell" talk. Showing Jon ask a hundred questions about Arya would take up too much time. Whether you're okay with that or not is fine, but I just don't consider that we didn't see him ask about her to be a problem since it's clear that they had already been talking a while and we entered the conversation later so that we could see them talk about Winterfell.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3774 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:50 PM »

I really can't take this serious. Old Nan's pies and the good soup aren't important to the plot, Jon's bond with Arya is obviously more important to the plot than that small talk they had.

*Sansa

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3775 on: May 16, 2016, 02:03:00 PM »
Good episode! Nice to finally see a Stark reunion after all this time.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3776 on: May 16, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »
Only in the year of Di Caprio winning an Oscar we could get a Stark reunion  :biggrin:

When I saw Sansa arriving I was immediately like "Omg omg they're gonna meet! a Stark reunion for the first time!!!" and I agree that they surely had a long intense talk, it would have taken the whole episode having the two catching up, both with their crazy stories.

" 'sup dude?"
"Well, joined the Watch, went north of the Wall, came back after pretending to have joined the wildlings, got elected Lord Commander and I got stabbed to death. Seriously. That red chick brought me back. And you?"
"Got almost married to Joffrey, got to witness dad die, been treated like shit for years, got freed of Joffrey and got married to Tyrion instead, then I was made an unknown accomplice in the murder of Joffrey, got to the Vale, our crazy aunt got crazy on me but she ehm killed herself, then I was married to a sadistic torturer and here I am".

Boy, what a reunion.

The rest was a bit slow (Damn Osha nooooooo!!!!!!), but the final scene was awesome. This was the most badass Dany moment after the glorious "Dracarys" one.   :metal Yeah, it's a bit over the top, and so much for GRRM's explanation "Targaryens do burn, Dany's survival of the funeral pyre was a miracle", but I love how she comes up with these wild gambles and she wins it by the old ancient rule of "KILL IT WITH FIRE", exactly how she did when taking over the Unsullied. And Jorah wanting to kneel but still not resisting taking a closer look at her boobs, ha!  :biggrin:

And I'm torn over the High Sparrow. On one hand, he shamed Cersei and he's portrayed by a terrific actor. On the other hand, he's a religious bigot and as such he needs to disappear. What if the brilliant plan of Cersei and Jaimie goes awry and in the chaos that ensues Tommen is killed, maybe even by (relative) accident or as a very unwanted consequence? maybe Lancel could do him in, in a show where everyone suffer Kevan would witness his son kill his nephew, the king.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3777 on: May 16, 2016, 03:12:25 PM »
Yeah, it's a bit over the top, and so much for GRRM's explanation "Targaryens do burn, Dany's survival of the funeral pyre was a miracle", but I love how she comes up with these wild gambles and she wins it by the old ancient rule of "KILL IT WITH FIRE", exactly how she did when taking over the Unsullied. And Jorah wanting to kneel but still not resisting taking a closer look at her boobs, ha!  :biggrin:

I agree, the reaction is over the top. The show made this clear in season 1 episode 1 that Dany does not burn by going into the steaming hot bath with no reaction, also in season 1 by grabbing the dragon eggs from the fire.  GRRM may say in the books, it's a one time miracle and that's fine, but the show has always been different about this.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3778 on: May 16, 2016, 03:43:05 PM »
That Stark reunion was great!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3779 on: May 16, 2016, 04:31:23 PM »
So, let's see who in the north is still loyal to the Starks. The Karstarks obviously aren't. Who else do we have?