Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646246 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #3430 on: April 26, 2016, 01:18:35 PM »
Just watched the season 2 episode 1 scene with Melisandre and Stannis' maester.  Where he tries to poison her, but when she drinks the poisoned wine, she is fine, but if you watch closely... the red stone in her necklace is clearly pulsing brightly.  I read about that so I had to watch it for myself since I never picked up on that in the show.

Speaking of going to that season, I was slightly disappointed that they didn't include Patchface, only because I was curious to see how they would have cast him and how true to the book the character would have acted. It's not a major loss, obviously. He's just one of those characters that I was curious about because of the theories behind his prophecies.

True, but the show mostly kept all of the prophecies out although we saw Cersei talk a bit about those last episode

I know. It was a really unnecessary character to throw in the show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3431 on: April 26, 2016, 01:35:19 PM »
Just watched the season 2 episode 1 scene with Melisandre and Stannis' maester.  Where he tries to poison her, but when she drinks the poisoned wine, she is fine, but if you watch closely... the red stone in her necklace is clearly pulsing brightly.  I read about that so I had to watch it for myself since I never picked up on that in the show.

Speaking of going to that season, I was slightly disappointed that they didn't include Patchface, only because I was curious to see how they would have cast him and how true to the book the character would have acted. It's not a major loss, obviously. He's just one of those characters that I was curious about because of the theories behind his prophecies.

True, but the show mostly kept all of the prophecies out although we saw Cersei talk a bit about those last episode

Yea, the one character I wish was in the show is Coldhands.  Granted that may have been unnecessary too, but he is certainly an intriguing character.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3432 on: April 26, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »

Yea, the one character I wish was in the show is Coldhands.  Granted that may have been unnecessary too, but he is certainly an intriguing character.

Absolutely. He's definitely one of those mysterious characters that whose identity we don't know. Could it be Benjen? 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3433 on: April 26, 2016, 01:49:54 PM »

Absolutely. He's definitely one of those mysterious characters that whose identity we don't know. Could it be Benjen?

Not according to GRRM.  I think at the end of the day he's just not that important, but the mystery around him is what everyone wants to know.  Maybe the books will go into that more at one time.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3434 on: April 26, 2016, 01:56:32 PM »
I just read that after I posted the message.  GRRM said it's definitely not Benjen. There's another theory that it's the Night King which ties in with him being an old Stark, which is why he takes an interest in Jon. I don't know if you read into that theory. Some say that theory is the one that GRRM said a fan guessed completely right. Jon has to marry a white walker bride to reform the pact between men and white walkers. If I can find it, I'll send it to you. It's this long convoluted theory.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3435 on: April 26, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
I just read that after I posted the message.  GRRM said it's definitely not Benjen. There's another theory that it's the Night King which ties in with him being an old Stark, which is why he takes an interest in Jon. I don't know if you read into that theory. Some say that theory is the one that GRRM said a fan guessed completely right. Jon has to marry a white walker bride to reform the pact between men and white walkers. If I can find it, I'll send it to you. It's this long convoluted theory.

I've seen it, I don't believe that though in terms of Jon's future, but I do believe there's some good possibilities about who the Night's King actually is. (whether being a Stark or a previous Lord Commander of the Night's watch).

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3436 on: April 26, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
It's all so intriguing. There are a number of possible outcomes that would be awesome.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3437 on: April 26, 2016, 02:47:59 PM »
It's all so intriguing. There are a number of possible outcomes that would be awesome.

And that's why this show is awesome!  Including things like I pointed our earlier with the necklace, something like that was shown to us all back in season 2 and here we are (or at least I am) talking about it and how it relates to something in season 6.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3438 on: April 26, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »
That's why I love re-watching the older episodes, so many things make contextual sense or foreshadow events. 
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3439 on: April 26, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »
Thanks for the background on Melisandre. 

I got the gist of it when they showed her reflection....but it was good that they showed how feeble she really is.  btw....wouldn't you tie the necklace to your wrist at night, and not leave it on a table ten feet away? ;)

Enjoyed the first episode Monday night (was at a DT concert Sunday).  Lots of loose ends to try and put together, and like 'Better Call Saul', we can be patient for everything to develop.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3440 on: April 26, 2016, 05:39:43 PM »

I got the gist of it when they showed her reflection....but it was good that they showed how feeble she really is.  btw....wouldn't you tie the necklace to your wrist at night, and not leave it on a table ten feet away? ;)

I think it was intentional. I'm not sure if she is intending to die that night or what.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3441 on: April 26, 2016, 05:42:21 PM »

I think it was intentional. I'm not sure if she is intending to die that night or what.

Some think it is because she is in a weakened state after Stannis' death and she is currently questioning her own faith, hence her moment to I guess "be herself" but that is just another theory as is the dying one.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3442 on: April 26, 2016, 05:43:20 PM »

Some think it is because she is in a weakened state after Stannis' death and she is currently questioning her own faith, hence her moment to I guess "be herself" but that is just another theory as is the dying one.

All good theories. Clearly the most obvious one is "Hey audience....this is who you've been fapping to......yup.....take it all in"
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3443 on: April 26, 2016, 05:51:10 PM »
Hell, I was the first to tell people this show is awesome during the first four seasons - I was willing to forgive a lot of flaws back then, because I felt the show writers cared about it and about making a faithful adaptation. Season 5 butchered this feeling completely.

I'll address the plot points arguments when I get home,  but honestly, with posts like this one

I think it's funny that so many people are trying to nitpick every little thing on the show because they don't want to admit how awesome this show it.  ;)

directed at me I think this is the last episode I'm going to bother with this.

It's funny how some people who like the show don't want to admit it's possible for some fans to dislike it.

Hey man, just wanted to clarify that my comment wasn't directed at you specifically. I don't expect everyone to like the show. My question in general would be if people dislike the show and then specifically only comment on the part they don't like then why watch it? There has to be something that people like to keep them watching.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3444 on: April 26, 2016, 05:52:13 PM »
Predictions for episode 2?

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3445 on: April 26, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »
Not a surprise that records for ratings were broken but interesting HBO is counting the online viewership as well.

Also Honest trailers did an updated version of the GOT trailer
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3446 on: April 26, 2016, 08:53:26 PM »
This is pretty cool, it's the letter Prince Doran reads finding out about Marcella that Jamie wrote. That would explain the Sand sisters getting on the boat.
https://www.makinggameofthrones.com/production-diary/objects-from-dorne

Click on the first picture of the letter.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3447 on: April 27, 2016, 06:35:35 AM »
This is pretty cool, it's the letter Prince Doran reads finding out about Marcella that Jamie wrote. That would explain the Sand sisters getting on the boat.

Very cool!  And yes, that explains things about the boat and Trystane.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: April 27, 2016, 11:15:02 AM »
Yeah, that Dorne letter is interesting. Why didn't they, like, you know, show it in the episode itself? It wouldn't take more than a few seconds and people could've dissected the episode afterwards and read it. They often did this in earlier seasons.

Also, already pointed out in the comments to the pic, but "neices"? :facepalm:

Anyway, people who dislike the rants about the show should probably skip this, but I've read this one rant on westeros.org and it's gold. I don't necessarily agree with all the points there, but it legitimately made me laugh a couple of times. :lol

Hell, I was the first to tell people this show is awesome during the first four seasons - I was willing to forgive a lot of flaws back then, because I felt the show writers cared about it and about making a faithful adaptation. Season 5 butchered this feeling completely.

I'll address the plot points arguments when I get home,  but honestly, with posts like this one

My question in general would be if people dislike the show and then specifically only comment on the part they don't like then why watch it? There has to be something that people like to keep them watching.

Can't speak for everyone, and I kinda like some moments in the show still, but in my opinion:

1) People who dislike the show (like me) still watch it because they're fans of the ASOIAF universe. I consider myself one of those fans and I'm going to follow anything officially ASOIAF-related, regardless if it's bad or good, like this show, Telltale Games series and so on.

2) Some people like to hate-watch. I'm not one of them, but I'll be honest, I'm kind of looking forward to Dorne scenes now just so I can laugh during them. They're comedy gold in my opinion.

3) Spoilers. The show is so big at this moment, almost everyone is discussing it in the countries where it officially airs. If a person likes the books but dislikes the show, and doesn't want to hear any spoilers regarding the thing, he should totally stop chatting with everyone at work or browse the Internet or whatever. I expect spoilers everywhere at the end of this season. So between getting spoiled by people at work / at the web / wherever, people are probably choosing to watch and see for themselves. That was part of the reason I decided to watch S6, actually.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 11:21:40 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3449 on: April 27, 2016, 01:03:32 PM »

I don't remember from the first three books that I read but wasn't Jamie dyslexic?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3450 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:27 PM »

I don't remember from the first three books that I read but wasn't Jamie dyslexic?

Um... no, I certainly don't think he was. I might be misremembering though, so if you can quote the related passage from the books, that would be wonderful.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3451 on: April 27, 2016, 01:11:36 PM »
I can't remember it from the books either, but it's been clearly hinted at in the show.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3452 on: April 27, 2016, 01:25:05 PM »
I can't remember it from the books either, but it's been clearly hinted at in the show.

How so? I must have missed this too, in both show and book (which is very possible).

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #3453 on: April 27, 2016, 01:31:48 PM »
Tywin describes teaching Jaime to read to Arya at Harrenhal (show only). He says something like the maesters thought Jaime had something where the "letters mixed up in his head" or something like that. I can't remember if there's anything comparable in the book.

Edit: The quote from Season 2 Episode 6.
I taught my son Jaime to read.
The maester came to me one day, told me he wasn't learning.
He couldn't make sense of the letters.
He reversed them in his head.
The maester said he'd heard tell of this affliction and that we simply must accept it.
Ha! After that, I sat Jaime down for four hours every day until he learned.
He hated me for it, for a time.
For a long time.
But he learned.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:41:00 PM by RuRoRul »

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3456 on: April 27, 2016, 02:15:19 PM »
Number 5

https://mentalfloss.com/article/63016/10-popular-game-thrones-fan-theories

Interesting, thanks for sharing this

yeah, those are all cool and seem plausible to me. It'd be neat if one or more were 'true'...
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3457 on: April 27, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »
Number 5

https://mentalfloss.com/article/63016/10-popular-game-thrones-fan-theories

Interesting, thanks for sharing this

yeah, those are all cool and seem plausible to me. It'd be neat if one or more were 'true'...

I actually found the Meera and Jon Snow theory interesting.  I had read that before, but never looked at a picture of the two side by side... :omg:

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3458 on: April 27, 2016, 03:57:52 PM »
I'm not so sure George Martin would go down the "split up the twins at birth" ruote, that has, er, kinda been done before... for such an original series that makes a point of killing off characters and having a lot of people with the same name 'cause names were given to honor kings and previous family members, to pull a Star Wars at the end would be kinda akward.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3459 on: April 27, 2016, 05:27:20 PM »
Excellent premiere, did not see the Dorne stuff coming but aside from losing a good actor; the events are interesting and very game of thrones-like.

I was telling my wife about this note and how it still doesn't explain what happened timeline-wise but she remarked that Tristane must have arrived at a different port in King's Landing because he was painting the eye stones they'd put over Myrcella's dead body so he must have intended to stay for the funeral without Cersei's -or possibly Jaime's- knowing, which means the Sand Snakes killed him in King's Landing and they're still there.. does this make sense?

I avoid book purists like the plague, just like I do with The Walking Dead, but I get interested in hearing their frustrated opinions every now and then even though their opinions are so often expressed with remarkable snobbery and passive aggressiveness, I've taken to treating them like 5 year olds; it's silly of you to push back or point out that they're behaving like douchebags. In this instance I checked out the woman from Westeros.org video review and good fuckin god.. these people must be living in anguish! The level of sarcastic bitterness is not like any I've ever seen before  :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3460 on: April 27, 2016, 05:38:32 PM »
It's frustrating reading the forum on westeros.org with the book purists disliking everything on the show.  We get it, it's different. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3461 on: April 27, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
Since when has Jamie turned back into "old Jamie". He has always been the same person, we've just learned more about him. The experiences of S2-3 probably made some difference, but he's still the same guy at he was before all that at heart. I don't know what you expect him to do differently.
One of the things in my opinion that makes GoT so compelling is that nothing is black or white. In S1 it was extremely easy to point the Starks as the 'good guys' and the Lannisters as the 'bad guys', with every other family in between; but as the show and books progress it's evident that nothing is that simple.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3462 on: April 27, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
Since when has Jamie turned back into "old Jamie". He has always been the same person, we've just learned more about him. The experiences of S2-3 probably made some difference, but he's still the same guy at he was before all that at heart. I don't know what you expect him to do differently.

I thought Jaime's character had definitely undergone some major changes, even the way the actor plays him is very different, I can trace down to the moment he lost his hand and took a liking to Brienne. He became humble, compassionate and lost all the arrogance he portrayed in the first season and during his captivity.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3463 on: April 28, 2016, 06:35:41 AM »

I thought Jaime's character had definitely undergone some major changes, even the way the actor plays him is very different, I can trace down to the moment he lost his hand and took a liking to Brienne. He became humble, compassionate and lost all the arrogance he portrayed in the first season and during his captivity.

The cutting off of the hand is when he changed.  Sure he still has that same type of attitude, but losing the hand humbled him quite a bit.  The scene with Myrcella before she dies is not the same Jamie from season 1. 

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3464 on: April 28, 2016, 06:44:16 AM »

The cutting off of the hand is when he changed.  Sure he still has that same type of attitude, but losing the hand humbled him quite a bit.  The scene with Myrcella before she dies is not the same Jamie from season 1.

His experiences were a harsh dose of reality and coming to the realization that he wasn't his surname at that point, but a prisoner of the world. Part of which that same family name had caused.