Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 646193 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #1960 on: June 18, 2014, 01:05:13 PM »
perhaps there is a perfectly good reason for why she's done very little but suck at ruling a city this season.

This is when we are supposed to start noticing as an audience that while Dany is an excellent charismatic military leader, she is a terrible leader in peace time.
She should just fudgin' travel to Westeros and wreak havoc there. Back in season 2&3 she was the one that had me most excited and I was all like OMG WAR! I still remember her big army at the end of season 3 that had me going like "shit's gonna get real in season 4". Sadly, she didn't do much; but expel Jorah deeper into the friendzone, listen to ex-slaves' pleas, bang Daario and reconsider her whole motives. I haven't read the books, but I hope that she gets to make a good move in season 5.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1961 on: June 18, 2014, 01:38:50 PM »
I haven't read the books, but my theory is that Jon Snow is Robert Baratheon's son. I think that he, the ice zombies, Dany and her dragons all converge upon King's Landing at the same time, hence, a Song of Ice and Fire. I think Jon and Dany hook up and "live happily ever after", even if that's a precarious notion in this material.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1962 on: June 18, 2014, 02:06:44 PM »
^ I don't think that the symbolism of King's Landing means anything to the White Walkers, I don't even think they even know it exists. And I don't even think it matters much to Jon at this point either.

And I believe Slaver's Bay is far enough away that even if Deanerys' first act in season 4 was to set sail for Westeros, I don't think she'd had arrived by the end of it. That doesn't really matter or contradict any of your statements, just a thought I had.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1963 on: June 18, 2014, 02:31:41 PM »
^ I don't think that the symbolism of King's Landing means anything to the White Walkers, I don't even think they even know it exists. And I don't even think it matters much to Jon at this point either.

And I believe Slaver's Bay is far enough away that even if Deanerys' first act in season 4 was to set sail for Westeros, I don't think she'd had arrived by the end of it. That doesn't really matter or contradict any of your statements, just a thought I had.

It's all good. Speculating and debating is fun.

I agree with your point that the White Walkers being indifferent to King's Landing. I just think that they go south, and that's as far as they make it, due to meeting the most resistance.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1964 on: June 18, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
Speaking of going south… the window is as open now for Stannis as it's ever been, with the Lannisters presumably in shambles following the death of Tywin. I wonder if he is going to meet resistance from the Boltons (their involvement would make sense given the increased emphasis on that house this past season). More likely, I would expect the Boltons to surrender at first sight. I've never liked Stannis but it was nice seeing him come in and save what was left of the Nights Watch.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1965 on: June 18, 2014, 02:45:42 PM »
I dont think we can really say whether or not they have an idea of what kings landing is or what their goal is at this point. They seemed like zombies but that one scene this season made it look like they were a civilization. I dont see them going any more south than "winter" goes though as it seems they like the cold... or they are winter and bring the cold.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1966 on: June 18, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
They seemed like zombies but that one scene this season made it look like they were a civilization.

I don't know this for certain, as I haven't read the books, but I do think there is a distinction between White Walkers (aka Others?) and whites (the ones that act more like zombies). The White Walkers control/command the whites, and are sentient, but the whites are not? I believe it's something like that, but I could be way off. If so, it would be the White Walkers that we saw in the scene you're talking about, and they do have some sort of order/organization or maybe even civilization.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1967 on: June 18, 2014, 03:07:02 PM »
The White Walkers for sure are not zombies, they are very different from the wights (the real zombies and slaves to them) and have some kind of civilization. As for what they want, no one has any idea, but I do believe they're very misunderstood.

For all we know they could be rising because they "sensed" the coming of dragons and want to protect their lands from the death and destruction they will surely bring.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1968 on: June 18, 2014, 03:10:45 PM »
they're very misunderstood.

well.....they do seem super human........

;D
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1969 on: June 19, 2014, 08:56:12 AM »
I don't really know about the 'sensing the dragons' thing. I mean, there was a whole bunch of dragons in Westeros less than three hundred years ago, and there was no reaction on their part.

Also, it definetely seems like they have a fully developed civilization. The reason I don't think they know about King's Landing is because they haven't really been to those areas in over eight thousand years. And King's Landing is only 300 years old.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #1970 on: June 19, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
Definitely not sensing the dragons, they were well 'awake' before the dragon eggs hatched, right?

I haven't read the books but I always thought that laid dormant under the ice far north and thawed because of the extremely long summer.
Since it will be a long and cold winter, maybe they can take back the land they have lost when the wall was built. Or something.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1971 on: June 19, 2014, 03:04:07 PM »
One theory is that there is a magical 'climate' which changes over centuries. For a while the magic level had been low, but as of the time of the show the magic level is rising again - hence the re-emergence of dragons and Others/White Walkers.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1972 on: June 19, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
One theory is that there is a magical 'climate' which changes over centuries. For a while the magic level had been low, but as of the time of the show the magic level is rising again - hence the re-emergence of dragons and Others/White Walkers.

Ive seen this talked about.  I guess its possible, id rather a real motive by the white walkers and Danearys having some real Targ blood in her that has allowed her to make babies, but with the whole black magic in thie births plus everything with Melisandre and the Lord of Light in general, there is a lot more to magic going on in general.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1973 on: June 19, 2014, 04:38:03 PM »
The birth of her dragons were a completely one-off magical event. Other Targaryens had tried to bring back dragons in the 150 years since the last dragon died.

Praying, drinking wildfire, burning dragon eggs, nothing worked. Nothing until Dany gave "death for life".
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • ţađ besta sem guđ hefur skapađ er nýr dagur
« Reply #1974 on: June 20, 2014, 12:44:08 AM »
So why couldn't it happen again then?

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1975 on: June 20, 2014, 03:31:01 AM »
The birth of her dragons were a completely one-off magical event. Other Targaryens had tried to bring back dragons in the 150 years since the last dragon died.

Praying, drinking wildfire, burning dragon eggs, nothing worked. Nothing until Dany gave "death for life".

Or maybe the other Targs didnt have her ability.  She doesnt burn while her brother did.  She made note of that in the show, he did not have the dragons blood.  While I think the black magic definitely played a part, her own blood also played a part.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1976 on: June 20, 2014, 05:17:05 AM »
She doesnt burn while her brother did.  She made note of that in the show, he did not have the dragons blood. 
And that's exactly why it was a one-off, completely magical event. GRRM himself had said that neither Targaryens nor Dany have that "special ability", that just happens once. You seen how that has NEVER been brought back again in the show?

GRRM quotes on it:

Lastly, some fans are reading too much into the scene in GAME OF THRONES where the dragons are born -- which is to say, it was never the case that all Targaryens are immune to all fire at all times.

Granny, thanks for asking that. It gives me a chance to clear up a common misconception. TARGARYENS ARE NOT IMMUNE TO FIRE! The birth of Dany's dragons was unique, magical, wonderous, a miracle. She is called The Unburnt because she walked into the flames and lived. But her brother sure as hell wasn't immune to that molten gold.

Now, why they made a point of showing her not burning in a bath of hot water and while grabbing the piping hot dragon eggs (stuff that never happened in the books), because they had to make you think that she wasn't suicidal and insane when she walked into the pyre at the end of the season.

And in a scene in ADwD, Drogon's BREATH is enough to blister Dany's hands. I don't think she's that immune to fire either.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:26:18 AM by Dimitrius »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1977 on: June 20, 2014, 05:35:37 AM »
Thanks, I remember seeing that before, maybe even having that same discussion here.  I just want it to be more than "oh magic is coming back"

ANyway...

https://www.cnn.com/2014/06/19/showbiz/tv/game-of-thrones-illegal-downloads/index.html?hpt=hp_t5

Ill admit I am one of those, but I do have an HBO subscription, just cant stream it while I am out of the country for work.  The show just keeps getting bigger and bigger which is crazy.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1978 on: June 21, 2014, 03:28:45 AM »
I'm also a bit sad to see the Horn of Winter missing from Mance's tent. Although, they haven't really built that up at all in the show like they have in the books, even though it's just few references.

The season finale convinced me not to continue reading the books. I knew almost everything that would happen in the finale and it sort of lost it's weight that way. Tywin's death would have been a real WTF-moment, one that was completely lost on me now that I had read about it. I'll now go back to reading the books after the show.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1979 on: June 21, 2014, 04:53:24 AM »
I'm also a bit sad to see the Horn of Winter missing from Mance's tent. Although, they haven't really built that up at all in the show like they have in the books, even though it's just few references.
Yeah, me too.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1980 on: June 24, 2014, 04:16:21 AM »
A guy does great impressions of the GoT male characters from season 4.

Spoilers, I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spjJOcnt3os
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1981 on: June 24, 2014, 05:06:01 AM »

Spoilers, I guess:

That's very impressive.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1982 on: June 24, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
Very nice  :tup

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1983 on: June 25, 2014, 08:02:52 PM »
I'm the only one that finds John Wesley of Porcupine tree as an older version of Jon Snow?  ;D
Also for some reason Roose Bolton reminds me of Putin.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1984 on: June 25, 2014, 08:07:22 PM »
Eh, aside from the hair, completely different faces.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1985 on: June 25, 2014, 09:01:33 PM »
Eh, aside from the hair, completely different faces.
You are right, but for some reason everytime I read the books I picture John Wesley there.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1986 on: June 26, 2014, 03:19:20 AM »
That was great!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1987 on: June 27, 2014, 04:47:48 AM »
Oberyn takes his revenge:

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1988 on: June 27, 2014, 07:21:13 AM »
 :rollin
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline soundgarden

« Reply #1989 on: June 27, 2014, 08:23:39 AM »

Spoilers, I guess:

wow, very nice

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1990 on: June 27, 2014, 08:23:47 AM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1991 on: June 28, 2014, 07:05:13 AM »

Spoilers, I guess:

That's very impressive.
Have to say, I don't find it all that impressive, he gets the tone of voice right, but the accents are mostly a bit off.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1992 on: July 10, 2014, 06:42:01 AM »
Am I the only one who understood that it wasn't the burned child skeleton which "came from the sky"? Everyone seems to believe that it's raining burned corpses. Does a skeleton of a little girl classify as "the winged shadow"?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1993 on: July 10, 2014, 06:51:43 AM »
Am I the only one who understood that it wasn't the burned child skeleton which "came from the sky"? Everyone seems to believe that it's raining burned corpses. Does a skeleton of a little girl classify as "the winged shadow"?
I can't really unnderstand how anyone could come away thinking that :lol "He came from the sky", as in the dragon, and killed the kid. That was why she locked up the other two dragons (Drogon is still out there roaming wild)...

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1994 on: July 10, 2014, 06:58:12 AM »
I can't really unnderstand how anyone could come away thinking that :lol "He came from the sky", as in the dragon, and killed the kid. That was why she locked up the other two dragons (Drogon is still out there roaming wild)...
Wait, who thinks otherwise? Obviously it was the dragon.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.