Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 53547 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Our Favorite Indoor Recess Game!!!
« Reply #1610 on: October 04, 2023, 07:24:50 PM »
Well after that impression I'm expecting a low one, so a surprise would be good.   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1611 on: October 04, 2023, 07:30:33 PM »
Fuck it... You guys can chew on this...

Sister Song Comparisons

AVKVRST > Tweaker
Nevermore > Osyron
Falling Up > Presto Ballet
Keep Of Kalessin > Monuments
Chastain > Triosphere
Therapy? > Kings X
Lord > Caligula’s Horse
Myrath > Paradise Lost
Wild Horses > Voivod

I'll get Main Assignment Grades up tomorrow. Extra Credit up on Friday hopefully.
I'm ready for a new playlist.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1612 on: October 04, 2023, 07:35:18 PM »
Huh, well that's one surprise, hopefully there's a second. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1613 on: October 04, 2023, 07:47:20 PM »
Huh, well that's one surprise, hopefully there's a second.

yeah, one got a 6 and the other got a 5. Surprised?? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1614 on: October 04, 2023, 07:52:43 PM »
I hadn't written that off as a possibility.  :p

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1615 on: October 04, 2023, 08:39:04 PM »
Sent my foreign language homework.... talk about an easy round lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1616 on: October 04, 2023, 09:45:26 PM »

Go ahead.  Talk about an easy round please ….  Cuz this ain’t it, cousin!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1617 on: October 04, 2023, 10:53:52 PM »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1618 on: October 05, 2023, 03:43:25 AM »

Pretty sure Tim mentioned somewhere the scores for the next round don't actually count.  He did this round just to make RJ feel included and special.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1619 on: October 05, 2023, 03:48:32 AM »
This is actually one of the easier themed rounds for me. Got 7 potential bands to send. Whether or not Tim vibes with them is to be seen.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1620 on: October 05, 2023, 04:39:07 AM »
This is actually one of the easier themed rounds for me. Got 7 potential bands to send. Whether or not Tim vibes with them is to be seen.

You said the same thing for this round too and look what happened. Oh wait…

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1621 on: October 05, 2023, 04:41:12 AM »
Yeah foreign language itself isn't hard for many of us, but obviously it's pretty restrictive in general terms and so the pool from which to find something Tim likes is that much smaller. I have some good options though!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1622 on: October 05, 2023, 04:49:50 AM »
Yeah foreign language itself isn't hard for many of us, but obviously it's pretty restrictive in general terms and so the pool from which to find something Tim likes is that much smaller. I have some good options though!

Yea, I guess I just feel my smaller pool of artists for the foreign languages just so happen to line up with TAC’s tastes more than in previous rounds.

You said the same thing for this round too and look what happened. Oh wait…

I foresee that I win the round…

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1623 on: October 05, 2023, 05:46:07 AM »

Pretty sure Tim mentioned somewhere the scores for the next round don't actually count.  He did this round just to make RJ feel included and special.

I don't need this to feel special... My mom tells me I'm her special boy all the time.  :heart

Heck, I didn't even need to use Japanese bands for this one.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1624 on: October 05, 2023, 05:48:50 AM »
Your mom tells me I’m her special boy.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1625 on: October 05, 2023, 06:08:15 AM »
Your mom tells me I’m her special boy.

My mom says it to everyone, she's a mother to all.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Recess Main Assignment Grades!!!
« Reply #1626 on: October 05, 2023, 12:47:01 PM »
Recess Main Assignment Grades

Lonestar: Monuments-Opiate

This was pretty abrasive

The low tuning to begin puts me in a defensive posture straight off. The vocals are fine, until…they’re not. This is the type of screamo that does not appeal to me. The cleans are nice though, but they’re overshadowed. That part at 1:50..ugh.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reaper: Tweaker-Ruby

It’s very interesting, but way out of my zone.

The Impression says it all. It’s kind of a cool song, and sometimes a song like this can emerge in a vacuum of a roulette round. Unfortunately that will not happen here. Still, I appreciate the share as this was indeed a nice listen.

Kingshmegland-Dogman

This band is probably decent in a club, but…

Ugh… Kings X is one of my least favorite bands. A lot of people I respect hold them in high regard but…I don’t get it. At all. They plod along and play the most boring kind of rock. The vocals…yeah but the harmonies.. The lead vocals don’t impress me. Dogman is the poster song for a style of rock that I don’t like.

Puppies: Voivod-Spherical Perspective

This song is a real trip.

When I was in college, one of my roommates was wicked into Voivod. I tried, but they weren’t for me. I was excited for this song though, as it’s sort of a current track. It’s pretty nondescript to start. The change of pace at 3:40ish is welcome until the vocals start. Like the solo, and the bass underneath it. The music in the second half is much more interesting, and the arrangement is pretty cool. I don’t find the vocals very engaging though. The song winds down kind of subtly. This probably isn’t going to get e to give them a shot post roulette.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glasser: Triosphere- Human Condition

This is pretty easy on the ears.

So, this is a song that probably deserved better, but I think the more I listened, it started to sink. My main issue was the vocals were really grating. I mean, she’s got some pipes, and I feel like my previous listens to Triosphere did not illicit that reaction. She sounds good in the chorus, but I don’t like the approach in the verses. Musically, it’s pretty solid, especially around the solo, and I’m sure this will be a disappointment but…the stacker..

Romdrums:Osyron-Anunnaki

Reminds me a bit of Todd-ryche.

Hmm..this song hits me right away with two things I don’t like…middle eastern influence, and low tuned guitars. Fortunately, the vocals are higher pitched so that offsets the guitars a bit. The harsh vocals aren’t great, but they’re only there for a minute. The chorus is awesome, as it sounds just like Todd-ryche, like maybe their first album. The solo smokes, but the middle Eastern thing returns. It’s a cool enough song.

Lethean: Caligula’s Horse-Songs For No One

This is pretty long and I’ll need to chew on this a bit.

I’ve sampled Caligula’s Horse a few times, and I don’t know what it is, but I really have trouble connecting with them. The vocalist is..alright, and the music is good, but it’s…just good. I feel like this is a band that if it clicks, then it clicks big time. This song has a lot of that. And a lot. And a lot.
I did love the part where it slows down a bit at 1:38. The solo at 4:15 is fantastic. The outro is pretty great too. But this song is at least a minute and a half too long.

Twosuitsluke: AVKRVST-The Great White River

This was quite unexpected and pretty nice.

I can’t say I didn’t try to like this song. I do like it, but I just couldn’t move it up the stacker. I appreciate the listen, as it’s a pretty unique track. The clean to harsh vocals ratio honestly would’ve worked better if they switched places. The music is pleasant and endearing and has a really nice ending.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Jingle.Boy: Presto Ballet-The Chemical Age

I think you sent me Rush by mistake.

This was a nice enough song that reminded me a ton of The Camera Eye. I kept expecting Geddy Lee to start singing. However, I found the singer very undynamic. Maybe it was just written like that. He sounded like a cleaner Bryan Adams. There’s no part that I didn’t like. I’m not sure there was a part where I was like ohhellyah either, but this proved to be a pretty consistent listen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ariich: Lord-Forever

This is the most J-Boy submission ever, but his are at least shorter.

Other than it’s length, this was a very safe submission, especially for this round. I finally placed the opening verse, and the singer reminds me a bit of Jaocim Cans from Hammerfall. That’s a good thing BTW. Pretty standard power ballad, but after the spoken word part, it really kicks into gear, and up until about the 6:30 mark, it’s pretty great, but then it settles back into the safe zone.

Faizoff: Nevermore-I, Voyager

One of the better things I’ve heard from this band

This is some heavy shit. I like Nevermore probably more in spirit than in execution. They have low tunings and low tuned vocals. But this song rocks.  The solo, as usual, stands out. Their lead guitarist is awesome. And that part at 4:07. Holy shit!

Jamesman: Falling Up-Circadian

This was kind of like being in a movie.

This song has such a cinematic feel to it. I thought I was in some sort of adventure. The keyboard rhythm that brings the band in is kind of haunting. I love the drums in the chorus. The musical break oozes tension. I really thought this song was surprisingly excellent. Only gripe I have was that it got repetitive towards the end. But then that cinematic outro was a huge rush.

Nick: Paradise Lost-Yearn For Change

It’s as if Ian Astbury became the new singer for Rush.

This was one of the more consistent songs of the round from First Impression to Stacker. I’ve heard some Paradise Lost before, and it wasn’t anything like this. I feel like there’s been much rougher (harsh?) vocals. Yeah, these drums have a Neal Peart like quality to them and even the music, especially coming out of the chorus really sounds like Rush.  The singer definitely reminds me of Ian Astbury, and not that he’s the greatest, but there’s a unique sound to him.

Lithojazzosphere: Chastain-Voice Of the Cult

The vocals were uexpected, and I’m not sure where I sit on them.

Incredibly, I’ve never heard any Chastain before. I was surprised that they had a female singer. I can’t say I loved her, but she definitely has some pipes. I found her far less grating that the girl in Triosphere, and  little more genuine I guess. I could be wrong, but that’s how I heard it this week.. But the main separator between the two songs was the familiar old school metal style. Really enjoyed the music in this one and it really took me back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Stadler: Wild Horses-Miami Justice

This has some very familiar moments

Can’t say I didn’t love this. This is a J-Boy style cheat. Brian Robinson sounds so great on this. Him being AWOL throughout the 80’s was a damn shame. Jimmy Bain’s vocals are actually pretty good. Brian’s style has a little Schenker and Moore in it. He has a real identifiable tone and style. Future UFO drummer Clive Edwards played with a who’s who of European guitarists. This is just music for the soul.

Wolfking: Keep Of Kalessin-Kolossus

I was worried there for a bit.

So, this was really interesting. It has a cool airy intro, and then BAM! It’s on! It’s ferocious both vocally, and holy shit, the drummer is incredible. Even though I like the cleaner vocal on the chorus, the harsh vocals are…fucking harsh. At about the 3:00 mark, I’m thinking I’m not listening to four more minutes of this shit. Then it goes into a cool solo section, both acoustic and electric. This middle part is epic as shit. The harsh vocals do return, but here’s a song where the harsh vocals ratio is low enough where the song works.

Soupy: Therapy?-Screamager

That is one tight ass snare. This reminds me of Michael Monroe.

I saw the release year on this, 1994, and was immediately worried. I’m generally not a fan of 90’s rock. This was refreshingly surprising to me. It’s a pretty simple track. The snare drum was addicting. I mention Michael Monroe, as this kind of feels like one of his songs, be it solo, or with Hanoi Rocks. This is just solid to the point rock that’s fun, even a little punky.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomislav: Myrath-Apostrophe For A Legend

I think you knew this would be risky, but I think you managed to stay unscathed.

This was probably the most easiest on the ears track of the entire round. If you had told me that Myrath was going to win a roulette round, I’d have laughed my ass off. But you’re right. There’s no middle Eastern influence in this. My favorite part is how is smoothly slides into the solo. It’s just a solid and safe track, that wins this subpar round.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1627 on: October 05, 2023, 12:53:56 PM »
how do you grade recess? "billy, you weren't having enough fun today, c+, try harder next time"

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1628 on: October 05, 2023, 12:56:44 PM »
how do you grade recess? "billy, you weren't having enough fun today, c+, try harder next time"

Do you even go to this school? :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1629 on: October 05, 2023, 01:00:44 PM »
This GIF was clearly inspirational. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1630 on: October 05, 2023, 01:07:38 PM »
Another 8
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1631 on: October 05, 2023, 01:09:24 PM »
The last two posts were by people that got the same score. One guy didn't throw a paper airplane at the teacher's head. :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1632 on: October 05, 2023, 01:09:54 PM »
:lol

Anyway that's cool, 8 feels reasonable and yeah I guess it probably was a little safe but I just really like the chorus and how the song develops. In hindsight you might enjoy the extra credit song more, and there's another on the album I toyed with including (either as main entry or extra credit) that might also have hit your tastes better. But an 8 is still strong so all good!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1633 on: October 05, 2023, 01:11:08 PM »
Gonna start on the Extra Credit songs in a few minutes.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1634 on: October 05, 2023, 01:18:58 PM »
Nice.  :metal

I thought the vocals might be the sticking point, but glad it worked.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1635 on: October 05, 2023, 01:22:22 PM »

Nick: Paradise Lost-Yearn For Change

It’s as if Ian Astbury became the new singer for Rush.

This was one of the more consistent songs of the round from First Impression to Stacker. I’ve heard some Paradise Lost before, and it wasn’t anything like this. I feel like there’s been much rougher (harsh?) vocals. Yeah, these drums have a Neal Peart like quality to them and even the music, especially coming out of the chorus really sounds like Rush.  The singer definitely reminds me of Ian Astbury, and not that he’s the greatest, but there’s a unique sound to him.

Oh ok, at the end of the day, I guess this did better than I expected  :)

So, other than the reference to the Peart-esque drumming in the chorus of the song, which I did indeed point out, I can't say that I've ever thought of associating PL music to Rush  :biggrin: And yet, and yet...there is something in this particular song that makes the overall reference not totally crazy. However, I also mentioned that Yearn for Change is a bit unique as it's the result of all members collaborating (which is not normally the case for the band). Regardless, Draconian Times is, in a way, a companion to their previous record Icon (Embers Fire, one of the songs I saw you were sent before, is from that album). It's a more polished, more dynamic version of that album. But, yes, Icon is where the band started to more decisively move away from their harsher beginnings - the vocalist, Nick Holmes, starts sounding more like James Hetfield there. On Draconian Times, he reaches for a slightly higher range too, at times, so I can kinda hear the Astbury comparison. The extra-credit song is a little more classic gothic metal, I think.

I can't quite recall what else you heard from them. Their journey has been interesting. Initially they were Death-doom-gothic (their second album's title is, literally, "Gothic"), with 100% harsh/growly vocals. After Icon/Draconian Times, they shed most of the "metal" for a bit...to then gradually come back to a more guitar-driven sound again. Finally, in the last two/three records, they went back even deeper to their roots, with some harsh vocals popping up again. Can't say I'm 100% happy with that (Holmes' growling was never my favorite anyway), but their last studio album is quite tasty and varied.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1636 on: October 05, 2023, 01:28:58 PM »
Nice.  :metal

I thought the vocals might be the sticking point, but glad it worked.

Well, they were kind of. But the song really overcame them. between the opening, the cleaner choruses, and that mid section. I'm quite sure with those vocals, a different KoK song would've scored much lower.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1637 on: October 05, 2023, 01:31:04 PM »
Extra Credit Who Sent What

Puppies: Amorphis-The Bee
Glasser: Toxik-Feeding Frenzy
Lonestar: Sikth-Scent Of The Obscene
Lithoijazzosphere: Chastain-Secrets Of the Damned
Nick: Paradise Lost-Hallowed Land
Soupy: Eclipse-Viva La Victoria
Reaper: 3rd Secret-Last Day Of August
Jamesman: Future Of Forestry-So Close So Far
Jingle.Boy: The Unity-Guess How I Hate This
Kingshmegland: Kings X-Smudge
Wolfking:Orbit Culture-North Star Of Nija
Ariich: Lord-Someone Else’s Dream
Tomislav: Eidola-Perennial Philosophy
Romdrums: Osyron-The Deafening
Lethean: Caligula’s Horse-Will’s Song (Let The Colours Run)
Faizoff: Nevermore-Narcosynthesis
Twosuitsluke:Witchcraft-Remembered
Stadler: Wild Horses-Flyaway

Playlist
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2A6umwKiU4VRRCe0S34QOq?si=385e348e863c4c59

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1638 on: October 05, 2023, 01:32:18 PM »
Ho boy, some great extra credit songs there!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1639 on: October 05, 2023, 01:33:24 PM »
I can't say that I've ever thought of associating PL music to Rush 

It's the spot right at 1:22.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1640 on: October 05, 2023, 01:34:52 PM »
Wow..just wow. Fuck it, all bets are off going forward.  :xbones

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1641 on: October 05, 2023, 01:43:41 PM »
Wow..just wow. Fuck it, all bets are off going forward.  :xbones

:lol

Oh boy!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1642 on: October 05, 2023, 01:48:34 PM »
Does this mean I need to resend for round 6?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1643 on: October 05, 2023, 01:52:19 PM »
Does this mean I need to resend for round 6?

Yes, as Locking In in advance only pertains to the Final Exam.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1644 on: October 05, 2023, 01:59:29 PM »
Nice, I'm glad you liked it :tup
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...