Author Topic: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Schools Out!!!  (Read 53558 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Geopressions!!
« Reply #1225 on: September 27, 2023, 06:07:35 AM »
 :corn

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1226 on: September 27, 2023, 06:16:49 AM »
2. I cannot believe that with this artist’s catalog, THIS is the song you send.
I'm assuming this is Stadler, because that's basically how you react to everything Stadler sends in every roulette. :P

This was a prime example of what should be referred to as "Pulling a Stadler".

Kwijybo used to have this problem too.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1227 on: September 27, 2023, 06:17:58 AM »
You're gonna eat a lot of popcorn.

I'll start scratching out some writeups tonight on some of the easier ones where I know what I want to say, but there's still a bit of listening that needs to be done for differentiation on a number of tracks.
There are a ton of quality tracks here to separate out from each other.

I have the bottom two or three and the top two or three but then everything else is pretty equal. I've said it numerous times already. Some really good songs are getting 7's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1228 on: September 27, 2023, 07:18:04 AM »
Ya know, F you guys.  :) :) :) :) :): )

My strategy with roulettes has always been "send songs I like, based on the themes (if any)".  Because it's a fool's game to try to guess what someone else will like.   It hasn't worked though, and in 99% of the roulettes I'm in, I finish in the bottom 25%.   So... what do I do? I select Dave Gilmour and figure, TAC has GOT to love the two songs cowritten with Pete Townsend!  The fucking WHO! 

PFFFT.  Back to the original plan. :) :) :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1229 on: September 27, 2023, 07:28:14 AM »

My strategy with roulettes has always been "send songs I like, based on the themes (if any)".  Because it's a fool's game to try to guess what someone else will like.   It hasn't worked though, and in 99% of the roulettes I'm in, I finish in the bottom 25%.   So... what do I do? I select Dave Gilmour and figure, TAC has GOT to love the two songs cowritten with Pete Townsend!  The fucking WHO! 

The problem with that logic is that I don't care for The Who! :lol :lol

Ya know, F you guys.  :) :) :) :) :): )

:lol :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #1230 on: September 27, 2023, 07:43:36 AM »
My strategy with roulettes has always been "send songs I like”

Stads, if I know one thing about you it’s that you march to the beat of your own drum. If the ‘top whatever countdown’ threads have been anything to go by, your favourite songs are usually far from the general consensus. I appreciate your roulette approach, because generally I do the same (I keep sending King Gizzard don’t I?), and I know you aren’t trying to purely go for the win. If you did truly want to just go for the win, I’d honestly send the songs you don’t like, by your artist of choice.

Basically whatever your gut tells you, disregard it if you want to win :lol

Love ya :heart

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1231 on: September 27, 2023, 07:56:35 AM »

Stads, if I know one thing about you it’s that you march to the beat of your own drum. If the ‘top whatever countdown’ threads have been anything to go by, your favourite songs are usually far from the general consensus. I appreciate your roulette approach, because generally I do the same (I keep sending King Gizzard don’t I?), and I know you aren’t trying to purely go for the win. If you did truly want to just go for the win, I’d honestly send the songs you don’t like, by your artist of choice.

I'm sticking with my gut, then, because the point for me (and I respect those that have a different view) isn't to win, but to have fun and shoot the shit about songs/music I like.  Especially with someone like TAC, whose musical history is so close to mine (his banned list is essentially my entire music collection, more or less). 

One thing I will say, is that in the countdowns and whatever, those are honest lists. When I put down "Cover My Eyes" as one of my favorite Dream Theater songs (if not my favorite) I mean it. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: September 27, 2023, 07:58:34 AM »
My philosophy ...

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1233 on: September 27, 2023, 08:21:52 AM »

I'm sticking with my gut, then, because the point for me (and I respect those that have a different view) isn't to win, but to have fun and shoot the shit about songs/music I like.  Especially with someone like TAC, whose musical history is so close to mine (his banned list is essentially my entire music collection, more or less). 

One thing I will say, is that in the countdowns and whatever, those are honest lists. When I put down "Cover My Eyes" as one of my favorite Dream Theater songs (if not my favorite) I mean it.

I get you honestly. I love taking part in roulettes but I’m rarely in the running for winning the damn things. I send what I like for the most part and will always be fully behind what I submit. Same goes for the countdown threads. I put my honest faves of course, I’ve just noticed that your honest faves rarely line up with anyone else. There’s of course nothing wrong with that, and I fully respect it. It’s purely an observation on my part.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1234 on: September 27, 2023, 08:43:53 AM »

I get you honestly. I love taking part in roulettes but I’m rarely in the running for winning the damn things. I send what I like for the most part and will always be fully behind what I submit. Same goes for the countdown threads. I put my honest faves of course, I’ve just noticed that your honest faves rarely line up with anyone else. There’s of course nothing wrong with that, and I fully respect it. It’s purely an observation on my part.

I like to challenge myself... that elusive 10th win is tempting to shoot for, but my other 9 I got by sending my faves. In Rich's roulette I sent all female Jmetal, in Vmadera's I'm going all instrumental, in Tim's I've been going for stuff I've never sent (IQ aside). It forces me to dig into my catalog for good tunes, and I get to enjoy the discovery as much as the host does.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1235 on: September 27, 2023, 10:15:50 AM »
There's a middle ground though.  I always send favorites, but I focus on very different slices of my library for TAC than I would for say, Sacul, or HOF, or Evermind.  There are some absolute favorites of mine that I just know not to send to certain people because it's probably not going to work (and I occasionally get to see this validated when other people send them or similar things  :lol ).  Some people like to send mismatched music anyway just to see what happens, and it probably does make roulettes more entertaining. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1236 on: September 27, 2023, 10:21:10 AM »
What’s interesting is that the people that generally finish low score wise often account for the handful or more memorable songs sent post roulette. In other words someone could have very mediocre results in 7 of the 8 rounds but for one round, they’ll send a song long remembered as opposed to the roulette leaders.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1237 on: September 27, 2023, 10:23:13 AM »
Yep, my lowest two placed completed participants out of nowhere sent two of my three favorite songs in mine, and other stuff I might not have liked, but can't stop thinking about. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: September 27, 2023, 10:28:13 AM »

No need to "apologize"; I get it.  I've always been that way.  I never really gravitated to the hits.  As a kid I'd get really excited if a single had an unreleased b-side.  Those were always the songs I wanted to hear most.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1239 on: September 27, 2023, 10:31:15 AM »
B sides always had an aura to them that today’s “Bonus tracks” don’t carry.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1240 on: September 27, 2023, 10:32:49 AM »
I often like to follow a strategy across a roulette as well - in 425s (seemingly defunct), I was going to send only bands I've never sent before. 

In the end, I always send something I absolutely love, but do also somewhat balance it with what I do know about the host's tastes. For instance, in the religion round here, I'm not going to send an artist (that is fairly well adored here) who is renowned for some serious religious leanings in their music.  I know better.

What’s interesting is that the people that generally finish low score wise often account for the handful or more memorable songs sent post roulette. In other words someone could have very mediocre results in 7 of the 8 rounds but for one round, they’ll send a song long remembered as opposed to the roulette leaders.

Except Puppies.  When he sends crap, he commits!   :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1241 on: September 27, 2023, 10:36:46 AM »
 :lol

Yeah, I think that’s the theme he’s following here.  :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1242 on: September 27, 2023, 10:41:49 AM »
He sends music that nobody likes.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1243 on: September 27, 2023, 10:54:30 AM »

7. Kingshmeglan-Sieges Even I feel like someone is trying to slip me some Damian Wilson.
Oh boy....Arno Menses sounds nothing like Damian Wilson....Damian Wilson wishes he could sing as well as Arno...

Nah, you've got that backwards.
Damian Wilson always sounds like he has a pair of socks shoved up his nose.

Considering some of the stuff you sent me sounds like they're singing while chewing on the sock, I guess it balances out.  ;)

B sides always had an aura to them that today’s “Bonus tracks” don’t carry.

I think in literal terms "B-side" is just supposed to mean the back half of the album on a cassette or vinyl (usually where the non-singles are buried), but it seems to have evolved over time in common usage to mean songs that were cut from the album and are bonus tracks or previously unreleased rarities. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1244 on: September 27, 2023, 10:57:52 AM »
To be fair to Chris, he has won one of my roulettes.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1245 on: September 27, 2023, 11:08:11 AM »
No Moonsorrow sent in that one then.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1246 on: September 27, 2023, 01:37:12 PM »
The Twosuitsluke way…

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1247 on: September 27, 2023, 01:39:15 PM »
Won’t work in my roulette  ;)

Oh shit, wrong classroom. My bad.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1248 on: September 27, 2023, 02:05:31 PM »
The Twosuitsluke way…

Except that you only win when you don't send Gizz.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1249 on: September 27, 2023, 02:08:18 PM »
huthe al-roulit memtea vana ahab al-khabaz.    :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #1250 on: September 27, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »
The Twosuitsluke way…

Except that you only win when you don't send Gizz.

I know :lol you don’t know how tempted I was to send Gizz in the final round of Lonestar’s, throwing any chance of winning, just to stay true to this. I guess I’m just a fraud :rollin

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1251 on: September 27, 2023, 02:42:49 PM »
I'm a noob with roulettes but I'm starting to think the best approach is just send what you want the host to check out rather than catering to what you think/hope they will like. My first one with Ariich was fun and I came in dead last as my ep was a goof. If you win what are you really winning? Next round will be off the rails!  :biggrin:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1252 on: September 27, 2023, 02:50:14 PM »
I'm a noob with roulettes but I'm starting to think the best approach is just send what you want the host to check out rather than catering to what you think/hope they will like. My first one with Ariich was fun and I came in dead last as my ep was a goof.
It was legendary. :lol Interesting and fun philosophy though. You were solidly top half before that final round but not a likely challenger for the title, so I see what you're saying about just having a laugh with it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #1253 on: September 27, 2023, 03:25:44 PM »
I'm a noob with roulettes but I'm starting to think the best approach is just send what you want the host to check out rather than catering to what you think/hope they will like. My first one with Ariich was fun and I came in dead last as my ep was a goof.
It was legendary. :lol Interesting and fun philosophy though. You were solidly top half before that final round but not a likely challenger for the title, so I see what you're saying about just having a laugh with it.

You'll always have my roulette cherry! Will you marry me?  :lol

Offline HOF

Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Social Studies Impressions!
« Reply #1254 on: September 27, 2023, 03:32:42 PM »

Soupy: Big Big Train-Winkie

What a fascinating story, and musically it’s quite dramatic.

I’ve never heard a single BBT before, though I’ve seen them mentioned a lot around here. Here, they sound like they’re heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel & Genesis. Not in my wheelhouse, Genesis. I thought the story of this song was the most interesting variation of this round’s theme. A WWII Carrier Pigeon. But what is great about this song is that the narrative is supported by a driving epic-like soundtrack. Reminds me of the driving nature of Iron Maiden’s Empire Of The Clouds. The backing lines with “Calculating windspeed” were really effective. Really a great experience this song.

Accidentally clicked on this thread and discovered Big Big Train scored a 9! Not sure if Soupy sent the album version or the live version, but the live performance is even better.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: The TAC Back To School Roulette V.7 Social Studies Impressions!
« Reply #1255 on: September 27, 2023, 03:50:36 PM »

Soupy: Big Big Train-Winkie

What a fascinating story, and musically it’s quite dramatic.

I’ve never heard a single BBT before, though I’ve seen them mentioned a lot around here. Here, they sound like they’re heavily influenced by Peter Gabriel & Genesis. Not in my wheelhouse, Genesis. I thought the story of this song was the most interesting variation of this round’s theme. A WWII Carrier Pigeon. But what is great about this song is that the narrative is supported by a driving epic-like soundtrack. Reminds me of the driving nature of Iron Maiden’s Empire Of The Clouds. The backing lines with “Calculating windspeed” were really effective. Really a great experience this song.

Accidentally clicked on this thread and discovered Big Big Train scored a 9! Not sure if Soupy sent the album version or the live version, but the live performance is even better.

Album version, it never crosses my mind to send live versions.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1256 on: September 27, 2023, 04:00:50 PM »

Except Puppies.  When he sends crap, he commits!   :lol
I mean, why half ass it when you can whole ass it!

:lol

Yeah, I think that’s the theme he’s following here.  :lol
I'm actually just sending music that I want you to check out that I really like, in hopes of expanding your horizons a bit more. If it works, great! If not, at least I had fun!

He sends music that nobody likes.
Now I feel attacked  :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1257 on: September 27, 2023, 04:12:54 PM »
Hey, you did strike gold with An Abstract Illusion, proof that even the blind squirrel finds the nut now and then.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #1258 on: September 27, 2023, 04:31:51 PM »
Although Puppies did tie for 2nd in both Crow's and ariich's roulettes this year, to be fair. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1259 on: September 27, 2023, 04:55:25 PM »
Can't you see we're dragging him for sucking ass...get the fuck out of here with your positive facts...