Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 442188 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)
« Reply #6090 on: June 12, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »
Just learned this today, the Japanese version of Virus has an acoustic version of Canary Yellow as a bonus track featuring some vocals from Courtney of Bent Knee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgODjCpmElU
Photobucket sucks.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6091 on: June 13, 2022, 03:14:58 PM »
The final show of the NA tour was last night, thought they were pretty good as usual.  First time watching from the back in a theater balcony setting so I could actually see they do have a bit of a light show!  Looked like most of the band was hanging out after the show as well.  :yarr  Good times, but I hope when they return some of these songs are no longer on the setlist.  Specifically, Nightingale which I don't think works live very well, Nil By Mouth, and one if not both of Cockroach King / 1985.  Those last two have been played at every single Haken show I've been too.  I get it, bands have songs they always play, but those aren't short songs and there's so much music that doesn't get played live when they aren't getting 90+ minute sets. 

Haken - Prosthetic LIVE @ Wellmont Theater Montclair NJ 6/12/2022

Haken - Nightingale LIVE @ Wellmont Theater Montclair NJ 6/12/2022

also I could clearly see Ray and Peter this time (the NYC venue was much smaller so they were cramped on the stage that night).  I'll have my full video of all my clips up later tonight.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #6092 on: June 16, 2022, 02:42:55 PM »
I just gave Charlie's solo album a listen and I'm pleasently surprised. The first two singles didn't resonate with me, "Arctic Cemetery" reminded me too much of BTBAM and "Tiktaalika" felt like a riff showcase without musical flow. I was worried that this was Charlie's aim with this solo project and that the whole album would be like that, and boy was I wrong. The album is diverse and flows beautifully from start to finish. The track "Tiktaalika" is placed near the end and with the rest of the album in the back of your head, it works really well as a retrospective and breather before the finale.

Anyway, don't sleep on this album.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6093 on: June 16, 2022, 02:53:57 PM »
I just gave Charlie's solo album a listen and I'm pleasently surprised. The first two singles didn't resonate with me, "Arctic Cemetery" reminded me too much of BTBAM and "Tiktaalika" felt like a riff showcase without musical flow. I was worried that this was Charlie's aim with this solo project and that the whole album would be like that, and boy was I wrong. The album is diverse and flows beautifully from start to finish. The track "Tiktaalika" is placed near the end and with the rest of the album in the back of your head, it works really well as a retrospective and breather before the finale.

Anyway, don't sleep on this album.

What's the album name?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline me7

« Reply #6094 on: June 16, 2022, 03:04:42 PM »
Tiktaalika

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6095 on: June 16, 2022, 03:23:03 PM »
Yeah I think people who like the heavier, riffier side of Haken's music should generally like it. Lots of influences from Devin Townsend, BTBAM and thrash thrown in there too.

I agree with you about flow. I've been listening for a little while and there's not a huge number of strong vocal hooks, the album flows really well and he uses recurring themes really well! Overall a great album IMO.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6096 on: June 17, 2022, 07:25:23 AM »
I am in the middle of a pretty heavy studying phase for an exam right now so I don't have the time to listen to any music  :-\ I'm looking forward to hearing this one though!!! I'm curious, how do Charlie's lead vocals sound?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6097 on: June 17, 2022, 10:04:35 AM »
Just listened to Charlie's new album, and I liked it a lot.  Very heavy, and very proggy, with a lot of energy.  10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline me7

« Reply #6098 on: June 17, 2022, 10:24:39 AM »
I am in the middle of a pretty heavy studying phase for an exam right now so I don't have the time to listen to any music  :-\ I'm looking forward to hearing this one though!!! I'm curious, how do Charlie's lead vocals sound?

He does one of the shorter tracks, the song is heavily influenced by the more subdued side of Adrian-Belew-era King Crimson and his vocal performance is spot-on for what the music tries to accomplish.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6099 on: June 17, 2022, 02:28:40 PM »
 Matching the album release date, here's my chat with Charlie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGLhfz6AJtQ

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6100 on: June 17, 2022, 03:19:28 PM »
Just listened to Charlie's new album, and I liked it a lot.  Very heavy, and very proggy, with a lot of energy.  10 pounds of fun in a 5 pound bag.

Love it! Is that like "he looks like he won the 100 yard dash in a 50 yard gym" ?  :rollin

Offline NoFred

« Reply #6101 on: June 17, 2022, 03:56:07 PM »
Listened to this earlier during a long run… Wow this is way better than expected. Will repeat often next week while working, could be best of any of their side projects (thinking Novena is tops up til now).

Fantasy casting: would have been great to hear Burton Bell do Crawl Walk Run. After Prosthetic and this song I’m sure Charlie likes himself some early Fear Factory.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #6102 on: June 17, 2022, 04:07:01 PM »
I got Tiktaalika in the mail today. Will listen to it soon :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6103 on: June 17, 2022, 04:31:48 PM »
I've listened to the album twice and it's actually really really good. I'm kind of pleasantly surprised by the quality of the songwriting... I don't know, I think I underestimated Charlie's skills as Richard was always the main songwriter on Haken.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #6104 on: June 17, 2022, 10:48:52 PM »
I've listened to the album twice and it's actually really really good. I'm kind of pleasantly surprised by the quality of the songwriting... I don't know, I think I underestimated Charlie's skills as Richard was always the main songwriter on Haken.

FWIW Richard WAS the main songwriter in Haken, from what I understand the last few albums have been much more of a group effort in that department.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline me7

« Reply #6105 on: June 18, 2022, 05:41:35 AM »

I think I know what you mean. I've had the misconception that Hen was sort of an editor who was needed to mold the ideas of the other members into coherent albums. Hen's great solo album solidified this belief at first, but the quality of Ross' and Charlie's albums changed my perspective. What a coincidence that this outrageously talented bunch of musicians found together.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #6106 on: June 18, 2022, 06:54:07 AM »
Yes, I saw some interviews where they say the approach of their songwriting changed since The Mountain (I believe...), but I was still thinking (maybe wrongly) that Charlie was the main driving force behind it. Anyway, I'm very happy to confirm the amazing set of songwriters that Haken has, I also love Ross's album and Hen's is amazing.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online krands85

« Reply #6107 on: June 18, 2022, 08:29:37 AM »
Just had my first listen to Tiktaalika and really enjoyed it  :tup :metal
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6108 on: June 21, 2022, 07:43:01 AM »
Just had my first listen to Tiktaalika and really enjoyed it  :tup :metal

Yeah....I've listened to it about 4 or 5 times now, really digging it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6109 on: June 22, 2022, 08:21:28 AM »
Since everyone here seems to be liking it, I'm listening to Charlies album now... I'm getting some Devin Townsend (the heavy/proggy side) vibes which could make sense since they toured together before this album.  Liking it so far  :metal

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #6110 on: June 22, 2022, 02:39:04 PM »
Jumping on the hype wagon for Tiktaalika. This is a fantastic album  :metal

Definitely wears its influences on its sleeve. I hear Megadeth, Metallica, BTBAM, Dream Theater,  and parts of it sound like if King Crimson wrote a Thrash Metal album.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6111 on: June 22, 2022, 05:30:16 PM »
Jumping on the hype wagon for Tiktaalika. This is a fantastic album  :metal

Definitely wears its influences on its sleeve. I hear Megadeth, Metallica, BTBAM, Dream Theater,  and parts of it sound like if King Crimson wrote a Thrash Metal album.

The press release said it bridged the gap between King Crimson and King Diamond!  ;D

Offline nick_z

« Reply #6112 on: June 28, 2022, 08:42:40 PM »
Finally got around to listening to Tiktaalika...I have to agree with the good people on this thread...what a fun ride!! Great playing and songs. Love the thrash metal influence creeping in  :)

Online faizoff

« Reply #6113 on: June 30, 2022, 10:01:34 AM »
I concur with everyone that wrote above, what a fantastic album this Tktaalika is, had no idea Tommy Rogers was on it. Great album start to finish, it has so many cool ideas, riffs, vocals, everything. Such a fun listen.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline frogprog

« Reply #6114 on: July 07, 2022, 05:15:03 PM »
Sounds great Charlie! Nice work by a nice guy!

Offline emtee

« Reply #6115 on: July 13, 2022, 03:43:01 PM »
Charlie's album deserves a thread of its own. Amazing playing and one hell of a ride from front to back. So many cool parts and killer riffs!

Online goo-goo

« Reply #6116 on: July 13, 2022, 03:43:58 PM »
Charlie's album deserves a thread of its own. Amazing playing and one hell of a ride from front to back. So many cool parts and killer riffs!

Tremendous album. I was not expecting to be heavy af. LOL. So far it is a very strong AOTY candidate.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6117 on: July 13, 2022, 04:10:45 PM »

Tremendous album. I was not expecting to be heavy af. LOL. So far it is a very strong AOTY candidate.

Yep, VERY heavy.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6118 on: July 29, 2022, 07:43:14 AM »
Haken announced just now that they've finished drum tracking for the new album.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgmRyqns10Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6119 on: July 30, 2022, 06:21:07 PM »
For those interested, here's the setlist for their show at Radar Festival today (basically their Symphony X tour set with 2 more songs):

Prosthetic
Invasion
Nightingale
Falling Back to Earth
Cockroach King
Nil by Mouth
Carousel
The Architect
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6120 on: July 30, 2022, 08:24:33 PM »
I'd be showing up late for any concert that started with Prosthetic.  What a tuneless technical piece of garbage that song is.  I just gave it a fresh listen to see if maybe I missing something,  Nope.  It is terrible.  What a shame that they are now ignoring songs from the first two albums and going down this road of these tuneless super metal tracks.  :tdwn :tdwn

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #6121 on: July 30, 2022, 09:35:54 PM »
I can see why a lot of Haken fans wouldn't like Prosthetic and it's not one of their best songs, but it's easily my favorite from Virus. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #6122 on: July 30, 2022, 09:41:10 PM »
I absolutely love Prosthetic. It’s a great tune!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6123 on: July 30, 2022, 10:42:46 PM »

Absolutely. Prosthetic alone saved me from my fears of where Haken might be headed. Vector was pretty good, but mostly a big letdown after the 4 album run that preceded it. But once I heard Prosthetic, I knew they were back with a vengeance. Saved the whole V/V cycle in my eyes.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6124 on: July 31, 2022, 03:53:07 AM »

Yup, awesome opener too. I'm not going to say it's "top Haken" or anything, but it's certainly not a song to miss.