Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 442153 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jammindude

Re: Haken v. Virus (June 5th)
« Reply #4201 on: May 21, 2020, 04:13:07 PM »
Says it’s not available.

:-[
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4202 on: May 21, 2020, 04:14:54 PM »
Says it’s not available.

:-[
It's geographical - won't be available until midnight in your country.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4203 on: May 21, 2020, 04:22:56 PM »
Cool song, but pretty strange as a single upon first listen. As if they just 'had' to release a third single, because that's apparently how Inside Out always does it. I bet this one will work better on the album.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4204 on: May 21, 2020, 04:25:07 PM »
Cool song, but pretty strange as a single upon first listen. As if they just 'had' to release a third single, because that's apparently how Inside Out always does it. I bet this one will work better on the album.
I agree it's not an obvious single, but then not much on the album is - other than Prosthetic which (if you like that style) works on its own as a heavy, punchy song, everything else works best in the context of the album.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4205 on: May 21, 2020, 04:42:36 PM »
Invasion is right up my alley. Now I need to fight the urge to overlisten it before the album arrives.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4206 on: May 21, 2020, 05:01:25 PM »
I don't wanna listen to Invasion... If I do, I'll have heard almost half the album! It'll be tempting to listen to it before Virus releases, though...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4207 on: May 21, 2020, 11:23:47 PM »
Listening to Invasion now, and I've gotta say, I really like it so far. The driving riff in alternating 6/4 and 7/4 bars is very crunchy, in a good way. Definitely a great song all around, the vocals are nicely done, and everyone seems tight. The last chorus comes in so cliche-like, though, which isn't a slam on Haken, but it sounded very predictable.  :lol

Also, I love the artwork for this single, with the little virus being the spaceship from Space Invaders. Seems like this design would have easily been a tour shirt (if there was a tour).

This will probably be my only spin of this song until the album drops, but waiting four weeks now instead of two is going to suuuuuuuuck. At least it gives me more time to get back into the Haken-listening mood after I grow out of spinning the new Pattern-Seeking Animals album too much.  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4208 on: May 22, 2020, 12:11:36 AM »
Just listened to it.  I have really liked the last two singles, but this song is a whole other level of good.  I'm stunned.  What a uniquely arranged song.

This just might become one of my very favorite Haken songs.

The Letter M, what do you mean by 4 weeks instead of 2?  Is the album no longer coming out on June 5th?
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4209 on: May 22, 2020, 12:37:00 AM »
The Letter M, what do you mean by 4 weeks instead of 2?  Is the album no longer coming out on June 5th?

Apparently the release date has been moved to June 19th. I imagine it might have something to do with the production of some physical products, be it CDs, Vinyls, or the merch (like t-shirts that are coming with some pre-orders). I havent seen any official announcement regarding the date change from the band themselves but I received an email this morning from Burningshed regarding the changed release date.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4210 on: May 22, 2020, 03:31:41 AM »
Yeah this is much more like it :metal Great song!

edit: the release date is now officially June 19th, yeah. From InsideOut FB page:

Progressive rockers HAKEN are pleased to launch the video for their new single ‘Invasion’, the third track taken from their forthcoming new album ‘Virus’. Unfortunately, due to unforeseen circumstances beyond the label and bands control, the release date for the album has had to be postponed to the 19th June 2020.

The new video for ‘Invasion’ was created by Crystal Spotlight, who also produced the video for ‘Canary Yellow’. Watch it now here: https://youtu.be/2Rkx6b5vFdQ

The band comment: “Lyrically, Invasion deals with themes including but not limited to anxiety, depression and suicidal tendencies. We thought that the discussion of a "Virus of the mind" tied in well to the psychological themes touched upon in the sister record 'Vector' and lent itself to the character development of Virus's manic protagonist.”
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 03:44:36 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4211 on: May 22, 2020, 04:44:52 AM »
At least they haven't Wilson'd and postponed it for a stupidly long time.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4212 on: May 22, 2020, 08:50:56 AM »
Killer track...and that graphic better be turned into a shirt.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4213 on: May 22, 2020, 08:52:37 AM »
Out of the 3 tracks, I liked this one the least. I think this might be their weakest album.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4214 on: May 22, 2020, 09:29:55 AM »
I think this might be their weakest album.

So you've heard the entire album? Or you're basing it on just three songs?
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4215 on: May 22, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
We've now heard 17 minutes of a 52 minute album.  If I thought those 17 minutes all blew chunks, I'd be tempted to say the same thing. 

Fortunately, I feel exactly the opposite.  So far, the 17 minutes I've heard have given me a lot of hope that this is going to be better than Vector.   

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4216 on: May 22, 2020, 09:53:50 AM »
Admittedly after weeks of listening, I think this could be my second favourite behind The Mountain. But that was very much not the case after the first listen or three.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Northern Lion

• Defender of Liberty
« Reply #4217 on: May 22, 2020, 10:32:36 AM »

Apparently the release date has been moved to June 19th. I imagine it might have something to do with the production of some physical products, be it CDs, Vinyls, or the merch (like t-shirts that are coming with some pre-orders). I havent seen any official announcement regarding the date change from the band themselves but I received an email this morning from Burningshed regarding the changed release date.

-Marc.

Well, that's a gigantic bummer.
"You call it facial hair, I call it awesomeness escaping through my face"

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #4218 on: May 22, 2020, 10:48:19 AM »
I think this might be their weakest album.

So you've heard the entire album? Or you're basing it on just three songs?

We've now heard 17 minutes of a 52 minute album.  If I thought those 17 minutes all blew chunks, I'd be tempted to say the same thing.   
This.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #4219 on: May 22, 2020, 11:54:55 AM »
Admittedly after weeks of listening, I think this could be my second favourite behind The Mountain. But that was very much not the case after the first listen or three.

Given that we've always agreed about TM being Haken's absolute best, this hypes me up quite a ton.

Invasion is great -- definitely not really a "single" type song but it's so unique. Loving it.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4220 on: May 22, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »

Given that we've always agreed about TM being Haken's absolute best, this hypes me up quite a ton.
I'm not sure that specifically means that much as it's the favourite for a lot of people who otherwise disagree on the rest. :lol But you and I do share a reasonable amount in terms of tastes (not that we've had much interaction on here for a while - hi by the way!) so I think there's a reasonable chance you'll like it a lot.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4221 on: May 23, 2020, 08:44:35 AM »
I will obviously listen a lot more, but Invasion sounded good on the first listen. 

It is clear from hearing these first few songs from the album that they have found what they consider their sweet spot as far as their sound goes.  Very similar guitar tones, sound, mix and production to the previous two albums.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4222 on: May 23, 2020, 12:02:41 PM »
I will obviously listen a lot more, but Invasion sounded good on the first listen. 

It is clear from hearing these first few songs from the album that they have found what they consider their sweet spot as far as their sound goes.
In terms of guitar tones, yeah that's probably right, but in pretty much all other regards I'd say the sound in Affinity is completely different to Vector and Virus. And in thr case of the latter, they intentionally wanted the same general sound (even though the music is more varied) as it's essentially part 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if the overall sound changes again in whatever they do next.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4223 on: May 23, 2020, 12:58:07 PM »
Affinity is very different.  And it is fantastic because of it. 

I suppose that was my problem with Vector.  It felt a bit more like "Haken by the numbers".   Maybe that's not quite right.   It's like when the old TV shows would go on vacation and they would air a "flashback episode". 

Aquarius a perfect snapshot of new band experimenting with blending different styles.

Visions was an obvious homage to SFAM (so obvious that seemed intentional) and they pulled off their flattery with flying colors.

The Mountain was a major shift in sound and sounded like the band finding their own sound for the first time.

Affinity was an extreme left turn once again, with an intentional shift to sound nothing like any of the previous albums.

Then we have Vector, which sounds more like "OK, so let's sum up...here's everything we've tried so far stuck in a blender."  It was the first time that they didn't "throw out the book" and try something completely different, and I think I like the previous four albums better because you never knew what you were getting.   Vector is still excellent, and for any other band I would call it a solid debut.   It's just that when a band comes out of the gate with four 10/10's in a row, following it up with an 8.5 seems disappointing by comparison. 

Of course, your mileage may vary, obviously.

Still, I like what I've heard from Virus so far more than most of what I heard from Vector, so I'm hoping the bigger picture elevates the entire concept.   If it feeds into Vector in a good way, it may enhance my appreciation of it more. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4224 on: May 23, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »
So prog artist Ed Unitsky shared Invasion on Facebook and Roine Stolt replied with:
I recommend; seek for  their album  *Aquarium* (I think)  -  before they got sucked into  the metal mainstream  and  super-edited productions -  Fantastic debut album !!!  - Great melodies & playing !! 

Interesting that 1) Roine has listened to Haken, and 2) he thinks their debut is their best.

-Marc.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4225 on: May 23, 2020, 01:38:24 PM »
So prog artist Ed Unitsky shared Invasion on Facebook and Roine Stolt replied with:
I recommend; seek for  their album  *Aquarium* (I think)  -  before they got sucked into  the metal mainstream  and  super-edited productions -  Fantastic debut album !!!  - Great melodies & playing !! 

Interesting that 1) Roine has listened to Haken, and 2) he thinks their debut is their best.

-Marc.
no, logical IMHO (given that Aquarius isn't as heavy as say Vector or (possibly) Virus) and Roine and The Flower Kings aren't the kind of "heavy" prog bands I think
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4226 on: May 23, 2020, 01:41:51 PM »

-Marc.
no, logical IMHO (given that Aquarius isn't as heavy as say Vector or (possibly) Virus) and Roine and The Flower Kings aren't the kind of "heavy" prog bands I think
Aquarius is also quite quirky and whimsical which is definitely more Roine's kind of thing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #4227 on: May 23, 2020, 01:43:13 PM »

-Marc.
Aquarius is also quite quirky and whimsical which is definitely more Roine's kind of thing.
that too of course
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline emtee

Re: Haken v. Virus (now June 19th)
« Reply #4228 on: May 23, 2020, 02:16:43 PM »
Everything these guys do is fresh, inspired and tight! Great drumming. Excellent song with a cool video as well. Bravo Haken!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4229 on: May 23, 2020, 02:33:12 PM »

-Marc.

Not at all surprised that Roine would find Aquarius to be his favorite Haken album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4230 on: May 23, 2020, 09:28:09 PM »

It is clear from hearing these first few songs from the album that they have found what they consider their sweet spot as far as their sound goes.
In terms of guitar tones, yeah that's probably right, but in pretty much all other regards I'd say the sound in Affinity is completely different to Vector and Virus. And in thr case of the latter, they intentionally wanted the same general sound (even though the music is more varied) as it's essentially part 2, so I wouldn't be surprised if the overall sound changes again in whatever they do next.

You removed "Very similar guitar tones, sound, mix and production to the previous two albums." from my quote, which was the key.  The mix and production of the two albums is extremely similar.  And these new songs have that same sound.  Note that I am talking mostly about the sound and production, not necessarily the style.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #4231 on: May 23, 2020, 10:33:33 PM »

I'm not sure that specifically means that much as it's the favourite for a lot of people who otherwise disagree on the rest. :lol But you and I do share a reasonable amount in terms of tastes (not that we've had much interaction on here for a while - hi by the way!) so I think there's a reasonable chance you'll like it a lot.

Hmm, that's true -- but nonetheless I remain hyped, I trust your judgement! (And hello as well -- I haven't been super active here for quite some time, I miss it! If only we had a DTF Discord server, I tend to be more active on Discord these days :lol )

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4232 on: May 24, 2020, 12:15:07 AM »

You removed "Very similar guitar tones, sound, mix and production to the previous two albums." from my quote, which was the key.  The mix and production of the two albums is extremely similar.  And these new songs have that same sound.  Note that I am talking mostly about the sound and production, not necessarily the style.
That's weird, I didn't intentionally delete anything from your quote. ??? :lol

So my response probably comes across pretty unclear - the part I was disagreeing with what the comparisons to Affinity, apart from guitar tones. Virus and Vector, absolutely, the sound is extremely similar as they are linked albums. But other than the guitar tones, the mix and general production approach on Affinity is very different.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4233 on: May 24, 2020, 10:13:23 AM »
Oh God Roine, shut the hell up! If you read the liner notes of the first Kingdom of Colours box, you will learn he straight up has an anti-mainstream agenda. As if making a living out of your creations is a bad things. As with many musicians (Waters, Portnoy), great musician, just shut up.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4234 on: May 24, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »
Meh....I'm kinda with him.   I was in a grung-y (somewhat) band in the Seattle area in the early 90s that showed a bit of promise.   I was really proud of what we were making.   But one day I had a revelation that if we became successful, then making music would become my "job".    The idea honestly made me physically ill.   It just seemed wrong on every conceivable level.  That was one of several reasons I decided to quit the band.    I still occasionally write on my own, but if it was my job to write or make music, I would hate it, and I never want to be in a position where I hate making music.