Author Topic: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!  (Read 257704 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: New Album “Distance Over Time’, First Set of 2019 Tour Dates announced!
« Reply #2485 on: February 06, 2019, 02:46:18 PM »
I was (and still am) confused about that end, it's really strange and I don't know what they wanted to achieve by ending the song like that. The solo before the fade out is so great IMO so why ending the song like that?
Oh great, so it's like A New Beginning where they faded out? That's too bad. Unlike The Astonishing, they had space on this record to extend a solo :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2486 on: February 06, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »
They already were revealed some time ago, were they? (or I didn't catch your joke). In case I overstepped boundaries, I would be sorry about that.

All the information visible in those images is information that was already available and circulating around this thread/forum. Except for the weird picture that looks like a sonogram or a cave.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline JRuless

« Reply #2487 on: February 06, 2019, 03:08:44 PM »
I was (and still am) confused about that end, it's really strange and I don't know what they wanted to achieve by ending the song like that. The solo before the fade out is so great IMO so why ending the song like that?
Oh great, so it's like A New Beginning where they faded out? That's too bad. Unlike The Astonishing, they had space on this record to extend a solo :lol

I think they explain in the spanish interview what happens...
But i didnt hear it, so dont shoot me if wrong..

Offline dream75

« Reply #2488 on: February 06, 2019, 03:10:02 PM »

It's not like A New Beginning ... After the solo fade the song continues with a strange ending

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2489 on: February 06, 2019, 03:59:11 PM »
They said the song fades and then they come back with the song theme. That last section was taken directly from their demos, same as the keyboard solo on S2N an a couple other things I don’t remember.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline CDrice

• I do art stuff
« Reply #2490 on: February 06, 2019, 04:58:52 PM »
So something similar to Misunderstood? Just without the weird noises I imagine.

That sounds interesting.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2491 on: February 06, 2019, 09:51:03 PM »
No iPads? There goes Derek's promotional fodder for SOA2.

Offline lifesonrules65

« Reply #2492 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:07 AM »
 :rollin
No iPads? There goes Derek's promotional fodder for SOA2.

Offline Pound4aBrown

« Reply #2493 on: February 07, 2019, 06:40:22 AM »
We can see a bit of the digipack edition here (use your mouse): https://www.amazon.de/Distance-Over-Time-Ltd-Digipak/dp/B07KZKCFR5/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1549486380&sr=8-2&keywords=distance+over+time

That looks pretty cool, but did Lassie tell Timmy that DT are all stuck in the well?

Offline jayvee3

« Reply #2494 on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:21 AM »
Being in Australia, I was just notified "Paralyzed" is now available for me to download on iTunes (pre-ordered the album). Love it. The first 3 tracks from this album are fantastic in my book, pumped for the 22nd!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2495 on: February 07, 2019, 06:57:02 AM »
Being in Australia, I was just notified "Paralyzed" is now available for me to download on iTunes (pre-ordered the album). Love it. The first 3 tracks from this album are fantastic in my book, pumped for the 22nd!

Oh wow, hopefully its available in other countries soon!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2496 on: February 07, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »
Tomorrow it's Friday, I assume that at Friday's midnight (depending when midnight comes) the track will be avalaible for anyone.

Not that it makes a difference to me  ;D #teamIWantToHearTheAlbumOnlyAfterIt'sOut
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2497 on: February 07, 2019, 07:01:00 AM »

Oh wow, hopefully its available in other countries soon!
I would tend to think so (whenever midnight on Friday is in your part of the world), of course I don't know for sure, but it's likely.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2498 on: February 07, 2019, 07:07:48 AM »
I wonder if they're releasing Paralyzed this Friday because they'll do the album stream a week before release again.  Similar to DT12. 

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2499 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:29 AM »
;D #teamIWantToHearTheAlbumOnlyAfterIt'sOut

I'm in too.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #2500 on: February 07, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
I admire those of you with the patience to wait, but I know I'll be staying up to midnight tonight!  :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #2501 on: February 07, 2019, 09:54:52 AM »
I admire those of you with the patience to wait, but I know I'll be staying up to midnight tonight!  :lol

Not difficult now. At the beginning it was, but once you walked the crooked step (allusion intended), it's relatively easy. At least for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Mark Levinson Jr.

« Reply #2502 on: February 07, 2019, 10:30:00 AM »

I also admire the people who don't watch any YouTube videos of the tour, and go to the show not knowing the look of the stage, or the set list, or anything.
I want to be that guy!  :'(

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #2503 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:25 AM »
I have listened to the first two singles but not sure I will this time. Not sure I want to be overly familiar with the first 3 songs on the album before I get it. We’ll see what happens when people start talking about it!

Offline Hanz Gruber

« Reply #2504 on: February 07, 2019, 10:42:16 AM »

Favorite tracks so far:  Paralyzed and Room 137.

Two of the shortest, which is funny because there was a subset of people who complained that there's nothing longer than 10 minutes

Not me. Black Clouds and Silver Linings woke me up to the realization that I personally wanted them to make albums like Awake again rather than albums with just 6 songs (especially when one was a medley of existing songs and one was Wither)

I have been wanting them just to focus on playing great music with nice melodies.  If the song feels like it should have a crazy jam session in the middle then go for it but to me it seemed like they just started throwing crazy instrumentals in the middle of songs that didn't need them.  I like songs like "The Count of Tuscany" and even the 'The Best of Times" but I am not sure they needed some of the instrumental sections.  Or they bogged down a tight song like Misunderstood and padded it with unnecessary sounds at the end.

Don't get me wrong. I love when Dream Theater goes wild but not every song has to be a 15 minute epic and some songs don't need it. Throw in a nice solo like in the song "Lie" and be done with it

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2505 on: February 07, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »

Don't get me wrong. I love when Dream Theater goes wild but not every song has to be a 15 minute epic and some songs don't need it. Throw in a nice solo like in the song "Lie" and be done with it

:heart

Amen.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline jadiggerdt

« Reply #2506 on: February 07, 2019, 11:51:43 AM »
Im really paralyzed. Great song. Will not spoil :tup

Offline Addy

« Reply #2507 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:36 PM »
I must say I enjoyed UA and FITL. That said, I hope "Paralyzed" is a grower, because it feels meh after a couple of listens. Sounds like some stuff from "Static Impulse" to me. Which is not bad thing, but I expected more after first two singles I guess.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2508 on: February 07, 2019, 01:24:21 PM »
At this point, I'd rather wait for the entire album. I think I'm able to stay patient for two weeks.  :lol

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2509 on: February 07, 2019, 01:59:46 PM »
If anyone's doing it, one DT album a day starting on Saturday (9th) will take you up to D/T release day.

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #2510 on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:17 PM »
I'm very concerned for the rest of the album now after all the people saying this was one of the best tracks. I hope I will never hear this song again after I listen to the whole album when it gets released

When DT said they wanted to please the fanbase with this album, these three songs make me think that it's nu-metal fanbase they want to please, and not prog/musician fanbase. I doubt these three songs can even be considered as prog
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:28:21 PM by Pax »
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline rab7

« Reply #2511 on: February 07, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
If anyone's doing it, one DT album a day starting on Saturday (9th) will take you up to D/T release day.

Oooh that's a great idea.

I haven't timed it, but I started with WDADU on January 22nd and am only listening in my car on the way to and from work. Right now I'm at Vacant, and hope to finish by release day.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2512 on: February 07, 2019, 02:32:38 PM »

Oooh that's a great idea.

I haven't timed it, but I started with WDADU on January 22nd and am only listening in my car on the way to and from work. Right now I'm at Vacant, and hope to finish by release day.

I wanted to make a full DT catalog listening plan building up to the 22nd (including all studio albums + extra songs) but didn't think too many people would want to do it with me, so I scrapped the idea. If anyone is up for this, let me know and I'll make a separate thread about it :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2513 on: February 07, 2019, 02:53:55 PM »

I did this back in November, but I reversed it. I started with the Astonishing and finished with WDADU.

Honestly, listening to it in reverse order was a different experience than doing it in correct order.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2514 on: February 07, 2019, 02:58:19 PM »
When DT said they wanted to please the fanbase with this album, these three songs make me think that it's nu-metal fanbase they want to please, and not prog/musician fanbase. I doubt these three songs can even be considered as prog

There’s not a trace of nu metal that can be found in Untethered Angel and Fall Into the Light.

Haven’t heard Paralyzed yet.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #2515 on: February 07, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »
People tossing out genre descriptions without knowing what the genre is :P

Then again, that album which certain metal-heads are so enamoured with was often criticised for the "nu metal" influences.

Offline rab7

« Reply #2516 on: February 07, 2019, 03:08:46 PM »

Honestly, listening to it in reverse order was a different experience than doing it in correct order.

Personally I prefer the Machete Order: SFAM -> 8VM, then I&W -> FII, then everything else. Skip WDADU.

And no there's no such thing, I just made it up right now because your post reminded me of the Machete Order for watching Star Wars.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2517 on: February 07, 2019, 03:36:34 PM »
I'm very concerned for the rest of the album now after all the people saying this was one of the best tracks. I hope I will never hear this song again after I listen to the whole album when it gets released

Judging from the positive reviews from their prog/musician fan base I don't think the band are concerned.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline pcs90

« Reply #2518 on: February 07, 2019, 03:46:48 PM »
For those who have heard the album, what is the one track where each member really shines? As in, Jordan's best track, JP's, etc...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2519 on: February 07, 2019, 03:52:30 PM »
You'll know in 15 days.  ;)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."