Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 113284 times)

nikatapi, SeRoX and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - Writing continues
« Reply #1750 on: April 02, 2024, 08:30:13 PM »
Even if Raw Dog were considered by most people who have heard it to be great, only about 15 people in each venue would even know what it is, and the rest would be like WTF is this. 

Automatic piss break there, fellas.
Just like DLPM? I'm sure the Average DT or even Prog Metal fan wouldn't know that track, and as few B-sides/Non-Album songs that DT have ever released, I feel like a majority of fans who saw them play DLPM were hearing it for the first time when it was played live at their concert.
Exactly. Let's also not forget that it's thanks to MP's push for playing obscure and rare tracks that they have risen in prominence. Had they not been included in the master setlist and not played at the Score show, most DT fans wouldn't have a clue regarding Another Won or Raise the Knife. The same will be true for any other obscure and rare tracks that are featured on future setlists, especially if they appear on a live release.

I know darn well Raw Dog would be energetic live. I think it'd come across way better actually in a live setting. And I also would like to see how they would end the song since the real ending they planned was cut.
Exactly, I feel like it would have some great live energy to it, and has the added uniqueness of being introduced as "The last song Mike recorded with us nearly fifteen years ago before rejoining the band last year! Here's Raw Doooooooooog", and then James walks off stage to dig behind John's cabinets.
I can't help but think of The Shattered Fortress. That song was repeatedly lambasted on this forum as being one of the worst DT songs ever by pretty much every single person that posted. But it was interesting to see how many changed their opinion after seeing it performed live on the 2014 tour. I wouldn't be surprised if the same thing happened with Raw Dog if it does manage to make it into some setlists.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1751 on: April 02, 2024, 08:38:15 PM »

I can't help but think of The Shattered Fortress. That song was repeatedly lambasted on this forum as being one of the worst DT songs ever by pretty much every single person that posted. But it was interesting to see how many changed their opinion after seeing it performed live on the 2014 tour.

People changed their opinion?

I didn't. I thought it was an extremely disappointing way to finish off the 12SS. That said, it translated very well live, but I can't say my opinion of the song changed.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1752 on: April 02, 2024, 08:51:21 PM »
DT's FB page posted a self video of JP and MP where they said that on the 30th of March they finished "writing and tracking drums".

Lovely video, always so good to see them together.
I always find amusing that they say "the writing is done" even without the lyrics (and most of the melodies?). They really are an instrumental band at their core.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1753 on: April 02, 2024, 11:28:07 PM »
I didn't. I thought it was an extremely disappointing way to finish off the 12SS. That said, it translated very well live, but I can't say my opinion of the song changed.
Same here. Well, mostly. I do like it a bit more nowadays, but still, it's far from being a great song.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #1754 on: April 03, 2024, 01:53:51 AM »
People changed their opinion?

Same here, more or less. It's more fun for me to watch than to listen to. I rarely ever listen to BCaSL as it is.

I wouldn't even be surprised if DLPM made a return to the setlist since it was only played a handful of times on the final leg of the IWaB tour before being dropped.

I was so disappointed when they dropped it. I'd read online about them playing it and TLF so I was looking forward to both and then they don't play either at my show and, instead, play TSCO. 🙄
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1755 on: April 03, 2024, 02:20:12 AM »
Obviously, I’m very excited that Portnoy is back in the band, and they’re making new music with him. But I just want to say that I think we’re really lucky that (for me at least) my favorite band is still making new music, and still at the level they are. So many other great bands are either not making new music, making crappy music, re-recording their old stuff and playing clubs. I’m grateful that they are doing what they’re doing, and just really excited after all these years to still be a fan of this band.
NGL, the thought of seeing DT in a club is mighty exciting. I usually prefer going to rock concerts in clubs anyway, the atmosphere is better, there's more partying, you're up close and personal to the players, plus it usually sounds a lot better too. Other than accommodating a hell of a lot more people (and big stage shows, if you're into that), big/outside venues have virtually no advantages to me.   

Regarding Raw Dog, they could compromise and incorporate it into an Instrumedley. 1:23 onwards would really get the crowd going: https://youtu.be/O6OfqGvliyw?si=ifMeIRKfqqT_Jxhj&t=83

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1756 on: April 03, 2024, 04:14:29 AM »
Lovely video, always so good to see them together.
I always find amusing that they say "the writing is done" even without the lyrics (and most of the melodies?). They really are an instrumental band at their core.

So true, and for me, that's not so amusing  :P but hey, they crafted many fantastic songs over their carrer working this way and Images and Words was mostly written without even a SINGER, let alone a vocal melody, so they know what they're doing.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Trav86

« Reply #1757 on: April 03, 2024, 05:40:37 AM »
So true, and for me, that's not so amusing  :P but hey, they crafted many fantastic songs over their carrer working this way and Images and Words was mostly written without even a SINGER, let alone a vocal melody, so they know what they're doing.

From the beginning his is how they’ve written like 99% of their music. I think The Astonishing may be the only real exception to this.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1758 on: April 03, 2024, 05:52:29 AM »
Not a critique, just an observation, but it's fascinating that we praise bands for "having integrity" and "doing what they want to do", but then spend 55 pages in a forum essentially telling them what they have to do.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1759 on: April 03, 2024, 06:00:33 AM »
Sure they are hyping the new album, anyway, I found intriguing JP saying "you guys haven't no clue what's about to happen".

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1760 on: April 03, 2024, 06:02:00 AM »
Not a critique, just an observation, but it's fascinating that we praise bands for "having integrity" and "doing what they want to do", but then spend 55 pages in a forum essentially telling them what they have to do.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

I think one thing is that the possibilities are still endless with Dream Theater.  There's always something to talk about or react to.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #1761 on: April 03, 2024, 07:08:52 AM »
DT should do whatever they want to do, as long as that whatever coincides with what I want them to do.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1762 on: April 03, 2024, 07:10:30 AM »
Sure they are hyping the new album, anyway, I found intriguing JP saying "you guys haven't no clue what's about to happen".
I did too. I hope it happens soon...

Offline emtee

« Reply #1763 on: April 03, 2024, 07:15:38 AM »
Where did JP make this comment?

Offline devieira73

Offline emtee

« Reply #1765 on: April 03, 2024, 07:26:10 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/share/v/5n7EzTmNXvqrKfGQ/?mibextid=qi2Omg

Thank you! That was awesome. I don't have Facebook or any other social media. I quit them all. So great to see those 2 happy and stoked again.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1766 on: April 03, 2024, 07:31:09 AM »
This video is really nice to see, if only for the vibe. Don't worry with social media,  plenty of people here to give us immediate updates! :tup

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1767 on: April 03, 2024, 07:37:33 AM »

Yeah I noticed that too!

Right now, we think that what is going to happen is a single album from the classic lineup, so if he really means it, it'd better be something different  :D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1768 on: April 03, 2024, 07:43:46 AM »
Even funnier is that some people spent years saying DT were getting too comfortable and predictable, then they released The Astonishing, and those same people got mad because the album was too different. :lol

We're a weird bunch, DT fans.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1769 on: April 03, 2024, 07:44:24 AM »
Yeah I noticed that too!

Right now, we think that what is going to happen is a single album from the classic lineup, so if he really means it, it'd better be something different  :D
JP doesn't hype things too often, so, when he does, I pay attention!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1770 on: April 03, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »
JP doesn't hype things too often, so, when he does, I pay attention!

Except every single new signature product he sells every year :biggrin:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: April 03, 2024, 08:27:10 AM »
Except every single new signature product he sells every year :biggrin:

His beard is getting gray now so I guess he's gotta have some new beard oils to hype up!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1772 on: April 03, 2024, 08:41:24 AM »
Had they not been included in the master setlist and not played at the Score show, most DT fans wouldn't have a clue regarding Another Won or Raise the Knife. The same will be true for any other obscure and rare tracks that are featured on future setlists, especially if they appear on a live release.
I would argue that most fans STILL don't have a clue about those songs, because neither has been played since that show, in April of 2006.

I'm not arguing for or against them playing obscure songs.  But I am saying that at this point in their career, it would seem to make less sense than ever for them to do so.  But even if they were to do so, Raw Dog seems like an odd choice to me, even among this admittedly odd collection of songs.

But as always, whatever they want to do, obviously.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #1773 on: April 03, 2024, 08:59:07 AM »
After this discussion they better open with Raw Dog, throw in Don't Look Past Me and Cover My Eyes in the middle and close with Space-Dye Vest, or the setlist will be considered a terrible disappointment when it comes to rare material.  :D 

And how can it be they never play The School Song when Petrucci picked it as one of his favorite riffs in that Gear Factor video?  ;D
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: April 03, 2024, 09:03:06 AM »
DT should do whatever they want to do, as long as that whatever coincides with what I want them to do.

HAHAHA.  At least you're honest about it!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1775 on: April 03, 2024, 09:37:43 AM »
This video is really nice to see, if only for the vibe. Don't worry with social media,  plenty of people here to give us immediate updates! :tup

I am very much the guy that doesn't get the way some fans "personalize" their fandom; I don't use the pet nicknames for band members, that kind of thing.  I'm not "friends" with these guys and in very rare cases, if someone leaves or dies, it's not like it directly impacts my life.

But I can't deny my feelings; I get great joy out of seeing those old friends mend fences, put bygones aside, and get back to what it is they have CLEARLY loved about each other since their teenage years.  I think it's a lesson we could all take a little bit from, and even if we can't, for me, that gets inundated with negativity and insecurity and antagonism on sometimes an hourly basis, it just makes me fucking smile. 

I was watching Morsefest 2014 video the other day, and there's a shot of Mike and Neal singing "Somber Days" and at the end Mike lays his head on Neal's shoulder, and it's a touching moment (especially given the scenario, the performance of "Testimony" in the church where Neal found his salvation).  I got a similar feel from Mike putting his hands on John's shoulders here.  It's a personal moment, and I think it shares a lot of "insider baseball".

Online pg1067

« Reply #1776 on: April 03, 2024, 09:53:52 AM »
I was so disappointed when they dropped it. I'd read online about them playing it and TLF so I was looking forward to both and then they don't play either at my show and, instead, play TSCO. 🙄

Are you sure?

The U.S. leg of the I&W&B tour started on October 25, 2017 in Oakland with both TLF and DLPM being played 4th and 5th in the setlist (with 8 songs in the first set before intermission and the entirety of I&W).  They kept both songs for the first half of the shows, through and including the Toronto show on November 12.  Starting with the Albany show on November 14, they dropped DLPM and didn't replace it.  Setlist.fm (yeah...I know...not always accurate) doesn't show that they ever played TSCO on that leg of the tour, and it shows that TLF remained in the set throughout the tour.  EDIT:  I'm wrong (they dropped DLPM as indicated above, but they also replaced TLF with TSCO for the last 6 shows of the tour).

Unfortunately for me, I was subjected to both songs.  I was in the mezzanine at the Wiltern Theatre show, and the lull of TLF, DLPM and Portrait of Tracy was palpable.  Looking down on the floor seats, I could a small handful of people geeking out to those songs, but 90% of the crowd was underwhelmed.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2024, 01:30:45 PM by pg1067 »
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1777 on: April 03, 2024, 10:09:51 AM »
I saw them on November 27th in Baltimore on that tour. Can confirm that they didn’t play DLPM or TLF (both of which I was really looking forward to) but did play TSCO, which I wasn’t thrilled about.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1778 on: April 03, 2024, 10:27:27 AM »
I saw them on November 27th in Baltimore on that tour. Can confirm that they didn’t play DLPM or TLF (both of which I was really looking forward to) but did play TSCO, which I wasn’t thrilled about.

That would have bummed me out too. I was fortunate to see both. I don't even really like DLPM but it was cool to see live. On the flipside I LOVE TLF and never thought I'd experience it in person

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1779 on: April 03, 2024, 10:52:57 AM »
My brain is struggling today, what songs are DLPM and LTF?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #1780 on: April 03, 2024, 10:53:17 AM »
Don’t Look Past Me and To Live Forever

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1781 on: April 03, 2024, 10:55:46 AM »
Raw Dog seems like an odd choice to me, even among this admittedly odd collection of songs.

especially since it's not even a very good song. It was crafted for a video game....it's 'generic' in the sense that, while it has your typical DT sound and experience.....it's a pretty boring and lame song. Plus, JMX didn't even write the bass on it per an obscure interview at the time of release. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #1782 on: April 03, 2024, 11:02:01 AM »

Yeah, I was pretty pissed that Don't Look Past Me got dropped before the Boston date. I was looking forward to seeing that. Glad I got To Live Forever, though. I did hear that they dropped that soon after too.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1783 on: April 03, 2024, 11:02:38 AM »
I got a similar feel from Mike putting his hands on John's shoulders here.  It's a personal moment, and I think it shares a lot of "insider baseball".

Absolutely agree with that. It was a genuinely touching (pun not intended) moment. There's clearly a real bond between them.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #1784 on: April 03, 2024, 11:21:50 AM »
Let's also not forget that it's thanks to MP's push for playing obscure and rare tracks that they have risen in prominence.

So, maybe this means we'll get The Killing Hand 😭

I can't be the last person on earth who believes in James enough for this.