Author Topic: 2021 NFL Thread v. Super Bowl 56: Rams vs Bengals  (Read 97497 times)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Belichick's solidifies GOAT status despite the doink
« Reply #875 on: October 13, 2021, 12:04:55 PM »

Oh, and how is Dak Prescott not in the top 5 for MVP?  That's a head scratcher for sure.  ???

How so? Yes, he is very valuable to his team, but that can be said for all of the best 10-12 QBs in the league, and Dallas is running the ball extremely well the last three weeks, which directly correlates with their winning streak, so as good as Dak is, this is similar to his rookie year in that Dallas simply wins more when they are running the ball well.  Dak is not really a Mahomes or a Brady or a Allen who can lead his team to many wins with little to no running game.  People salivated over his passing numbers last year before he got hurt, but they weren't winning most of those games.

Disagree.  Dak is a top 5 QB easily.  Especially after coming back from such a severe injury.  I think you need to re-evaluate your analysis.

Prescott is really good, but top 5?  No way, IMO.

Talking how good they are, not necessarily value...

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson (even though he just got hurt), L. Jackson, Josh Allen. That right there are six guys who I would absolutely put ahead of him, no questions asked.  I would be pretty comfortable putting Dak 7th right now, although you could argue Kyler Murray as well. Herbert needs more experience before I can put him up there.

We are talking about this year right?  I get the Murray argument.  Herbert and Allen are up there too, but what have Mahomes and Wilson done this year?  They're teams are both 2-3 and at/near the bottom of their divisions respectively.  Kinda seems since Dak plays for Dallas, that he doesn't get the respect and recognition he deserves.  Just sayin'... :dunno:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Raiders still a clown franchise
« Reply #876 on: October 13, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
If Dak can make the rest of his career look like this year - as opposed to the year before his injury - he's a top 5 QB.  He's NOTICEABLY matured in the year he's had off.  I was never a fan, but now, grudgingly, I am.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #877 on: October 13, 2021, 01:06:33 PM »

We are talking about this year right?  I get the Murray argument.  Herbert and Allen are up there too, but what have Mahomes and Wilson done this year?  They're teams are both 2-3 and at/near the bottom of their divisions respectively.  Kinda seems since Dak plays for Dallas, that he doesn't get the respect and recognition he deserves.  Just sayin'... :dunno:

I think KC and Seattle having the two worst defenses in the league has a little to do with that, no?  Dallas ' defense ins't great either and gives up a lot of yards, but have forced the 2nd most turnovers.  Dallas also has TWO of the top 10 RBs in rushing this season.  So, again, while Dak has been very good, a dominant running game and an opportunistic defense are the main reasons why they are 4-1.

Besides, if we are looking at just this season, then Dak being 13th in QBR, 19th in pass attempts and 7th in yards per attempt all have to be taken into consideration, yes? :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #878 on: October 13, 2021, 01:20:27 PM »

I think KC and Seattle having the two worst defenses in the league has a little to do with that, no?  Dallas ' defense ins't great either and gives up a lot of yards, but have forced the 2nd most turnovers.  Dallas also has TWO of the top 10 RBs in rushing this season.  So, again, while Dak has been very good, a dominant running game and an opportunistic defense are the main reasons why they are 4-1.

Besides, if we are looking at just this season, then Dak being 13th in QBR, 19th in pass attempts and 7th in yards per attempt all have to be taken into consideration, yes? :)

I'm not sold on this "KC's problem is defense" argument.   The KC defense has always been something less than the Steel Curtain of the 70's; they were winning a lot of 45-42 games two years ago; they were the 2019 version of the '84 Dolphins.  They won a Super Bowl by stepping up when it counted and holding a good team to 20 points.   Now this year, instead of winning 42-38 to a team like Buffalo, they are losing 38-20 to a Buffalo team.

The fact is, they are NOT running a rodeo offensively this season, and they are NOT winning those games where the D stinks up the house and they WERE winning those games two years ago.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #879 on: October 13, 2021, 02:16:12 PM »

I'm not sold on this "KC's problem is defense" argument.   The KC defense has always been something less than the Steel Curtain of the 70's; they were winning a lot of 45-42 games two years ago; they were the 2019 version of the '84 Dolphins.  They won a Super Bowl by stepping up when it counted and holding a good team to 20 points.   Now this year, instead of winning 42-38 to a team like Buffalo, they are losing 38-20 to a Buffalo team.

The fact is, they are NOT running a rodeo offensively this season, and they are NOT winning those games where the D stinks up the house and they WERE winning those games two years ago.

There are two possible reasons that this could be the case.

1) The Chiefs are playing hurt: Now I don’t mean the team is hiding injuries from the league, but the Chiefs have played more football over the past three seasons than any other team, having gone to two Super Bowls and three AFC Championship games. The team could be fatigued. Football is a physically unforgiving sport, and after three years of deep playoff runs, the wear and tear could be catching up and the players’ bodies just might not be able to do as much due to being worn down. If this is the case, an early playoff exit or missing the postseason entirely could be a good thing as it will allow the team to get some rest, which will be especially important now with the extra regular season game.

2) Defenses have figured out better strategies: While I do believe my first point holds water, I think this is the biggest reason for the Chief’s decline this season. Once you have enough game film out there, good teams will have plenty of footage to review and use it to learn how to stop you. Them losing the way they did in Super Bowl 55 was huge for the rest of the league, as Tampa gave the other 30 teams the blueprint for how to stop Mahomes and Co. Now it’s up to Kansas City to fix their defense and start making offensive adjustments, or they risk falling even further from grace.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #880 on: October 13, 2021, 03:52:41 PM »
I think right now the MVP front runner is a complete tossup between Murray, Allen, Herbert, Jackson, Brady and Prescott. Fortunately we have 13 more weeks to see how this all shakes out. Still plenty of time for any or all of the aforementioned to play themselves out of the race, or for guys like Mahomes, Stafford and Rodgers to play themselves in (or Derrick Henry, if crowning a non QB MVP wasn't such a rarity).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #881 on: October 13, 2021, 05:40:25 PM »

Okay, I will rephrase: KC's defense is their biggest problem.  Yes, the offense has their issues at the moment, and yet they are still putting up over 30 a game, but the defense is allowing 33 points a game.  It is unrealistic to expect any offense to overcome a defense giving up 33 a game.  And if we just want to ignore the stats and just do the eyeball test, they fail big time there.  Their defense just looks atrocious.  The Bills were gashing them last week and there was little resistance more often than not. 

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #882 on: October 14, 2021, 06:13:42 AM »

That was both an epic comeback by the Ravens AND an epic choke by the Colts.

I will never understand these coaches who get gutless in key moments.  The Colts had moved the ball all night, led the Ravens 25-17 with like 5 minutes or so left, knew the Ravens offense had gotten rolling, and by staying aggressive by both running and throwing the ball the Colts went right down the field and got in borderline FG range (I say borderline because their kicker apparently was not totally healthy), so what do they do?  Get conservative, run the ball on every down, lose 2 yards on the three plays, and have to attempt a FG on 4th and 12...and the FG is blocked.  :lol :lol  When that FG was blocked, I said it then, the Ravens are winning this game.  You can't bungle moments like that against a team that has gotten that much momentum on the other side of the ball.

Can't agree more with the above, especially with the issues the kicker was having that night, and that they couldn't play defense in the 2nd half.

Would have really enjoyed the Browns-Chargers, but our affiliate didn't carry the AFC game.  Our late game was Cowboys-Giants :tdwn

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #883 on: October 14, 2021, 06:24:40 AM »

That was both an epic comeback by the Ravens AND an epic choke by the Colts.

I will never understand these coaches who get gutless in key moments.  The Colts had moved the ball all night, led the Ravens 25-17 with like 5 minutes or so left, knew the Ravens offense had gotten rolling, and by staying aggressive by both running and throwing the ball the Colts went right down the field and got in borderline FG range (I say borderline because their kicker apparently was not totally healthy), so what do they do?  Get conservative, run the ball on every down, lose 2 yards on the three plays, and have to attempt a FG on 4th and 12...and the FG is blocked.  :lol :lol  When that FG was blocked, I said it then, the Ravens are winning this game.  You can't bungle moments like that against a team that has gotten that much momentum on the other side of the ball.

Can't agree more with the above, especially with the issues the kicker was having that night, and that they couldn't play defense in the 2nd half.

Would have really enjoyed the Browns-Chargers, but our affiliate didn't carry the AFC game.  Our late game was Cowboys-Giants :tdwn

Cowboys/Giants being the NFL late game of the week instead of 49ers/Cardinals just shows how much power Jerry Jones has and what a negative that can be for NFL fans.  Yes, the Cowboys playing the crappy ass Giants needs to be the game of the week instead of the only undefeated team taking on a 2-2 team from their own division.  That was the only game on here in the late afternoon and I didn't even turn it on.  I know, I know, the Cowboys get ratings, and that is why they get the game of the week so much, but it's a sham that fans do not often get the best games on television as a result.

Case in point again this week: why is the number 1 CBS team (Nantz and Romo) doing Dallas vs 2-3 New England, when they also have the 4-1 Chargers playing the 4-1 Ravens?  Stupid.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: October 14, 2021, 07:10:13 AM »

Okay, I will rephrase: KC's defense is their biggest problem.  Yes, the offense has their issues at the moment, and yet they are still putting up over 30 a game, but the defense is allowing 33 points a game.  It is unrealistic to expect any offense to overcome a defense giving up 33 a game.  And if we just want to ignore the stats and just do the eyeball test, they fail big time there.  Their defense just looks atrocious.  The Bills were gashing them last week and there was little resistance more often than not.

I don't disagree with any of that, really, except to say, when people were annointing Mahomes as the greatest thing since sliced bread, the iPod and the Model T, none of that was a factor.  He's come back down to reality and now the real fun begins.  I'm still excited if I'm a Chiefs fan, but it's reality now.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #885 on: October 14, 2021, 09:59:45 AM »
Stats don't tell the whole story.  If you see a team and how they rally around their QB's leadership and they are all better for it, that's the dynamic that really counts.  Stats are just two dimensional.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline dparrott

« Reply #886 on: October 14, 2021, 02:01:03 PM »
At least the Chargers and Rams are doing good, at least I got that.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #887 on: October 15, 2021, 06:23:21 AM »
A lot of talk about the taunting call at the end of the game last night. The call seemed mostly right but.. what exactly is the point of this rule? Players jaw and eye each other all the time and they keep talking smack, really weird rule to include or enforce rigorously this year.

And Bucs secondary injuries keep piling up. Playing 3 games in the span of 11 days doesn't help.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #888 on: October 15, 2021, 06:31:39 AM »
The taunting call was bad, especially since Fournette popped in and make contact with him first, but not sure it mattered.  It just meant that the Bucs likely run the clock out with the benefit of those 15 yards.

I was amused at the official trying to stop an Eagle defender from blocking Tom Brady in the middle of a live play after an INT.  As if we needed more proof that TB12 is protected like no other.  :lol :lol :lol 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: October 15, 2021, 08:15:14 AM »
A lot of talk about the taunting call at the end of the game last night. The call seemed mostly right but.. what exactly is the point of this rule? Players jaw and eye each other all the time and they keep talking smack, really weird rule to include or enforce rigorously this year.

And Bucs secondary injuries keep piling up. Playing 3 games in the span of 11 days doesn't help.

I'm with you on that; there's no doubt that was the right call under the rule, but it seems so... unnecessary in the grand scheme of things.

And whether it ACTUALLY mattered or not is up for debate, but that's why the Eagles are not a good team.  Don't take the chance.  You've got a game to win, and you're not helping your team in that situation.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: October 15, 2021, 08:16:06 AM »
The taunting call was bad, especially since Fournette popped in and make contact with him first, but not sure it mattered.  It just meant that the Bucs likely run the clock out with the benefit of those 15 yards.

I was amused at the official trying to stop an Eagle defender from blocking Tom Brady in the middle of a live play after an INT.  As if we needed more proof that TB12 is protected like no other.  :lol :lol :lol

Were there two incidents like that? Because I saw the CENTER come over and help Brady - which is his job - but I don't recall seeing a ref do that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2021 NFL Thread v. Bucs ban Gruden, continue to embrace A. Brown
« Reply #891 on: October 15, 2021, 02:47:29 PM »
Oh yeah the ref did.  Though in all honesty you hit any QB a penalty would be called.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #892 on: October 17, 2021, 12:43:01 PM »
Mahomes just made a really bad decision and threw an awful INT.

*cues the bat signal for Bill*

:P :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: October 17, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #894 on: October 17, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
The Pats/Cowboys game has been nuts so far.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #895 on: October 17, 2021, 04:05:14 PM »
The Pats/Cowboys game has been nuts so far.

💯
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #896 on: October 17, 2021, 04:06:28 PM »
What does that mean?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #897 on: October 17, 2021, 04:09:06 PM »
Meanwhile, the Broncos are getting it handed to them at home by a Raiders team that has had a nightmare of a week and change.  Vic Fangio is the worst head coach in NFL history.  :censored :censored

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: October 17, 2021, 04:11:45 PM »
What does that mean?

You're 100% correct you old bastard 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #899 on: October 17, 2021, 04:34:52 PM »
Meanwhile, the Broncos are getting it handed to them at home by a Raiders team that has had a nightmare of a week and change.  Vic Fangio is the worst head coach in NFL history.  :censored :censored

Maybe it was Gruden that sucked.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #900 on: October 17, 2021, 04:48:28 PM »
How can the Cowboys' receivers be so fucking open?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #901 on: October 17, 2021, 04:49:14 PM »

Maybe it was Gruden that sucked.

No, it's Fangio.  He is supposed to be a defensive guy, yet they gotten eaten alive last week by Old Big Ben and today can't stop the Raiders and their cast of no-name WRs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #902 on: October 17, 2021, 04:50:36 PM »
How can the Cowboys' receivers be so fucking open?

Dak's leadership is getting them open. ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #903 on: October 17, 2021, 04:53:26 PM »
I don't get that, but sure. Maybe that's it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #904 on: October 17, 2021, 04:55:01 PM »
I don't get that, but sure. Maybe that's it.

Dallas weapons everywhere, and a very good QB to get them the ball.  Cooper can be mr. inconsistent, but is really good when he feels like playing, and Lamb is an emerging star.  Throw in their underrated TE and those two RBs and they are a tough offense for anyone to slow down.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #905 on: October 17, 2021, 05:06:27 PM »
I still can't believe we are in this game. The possession time is ridiculous.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #906 on: October 17, 2021, 05:18:59 PM »
Awful.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #907 on: October 17, 2021, 05:19:20 PM »
Wow, what a crazy sequence.  The Hoodie wishing he still had Cam. :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #908 on: October 17, 2021, 05:20:35 PM »
Cam finally got vaccinated!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #909 on: October 17, 2021, 05:22:09 PM »
WTF?? :lol :lol