Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488940 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6825 on: July 30, 2020, 07:24:47 AM »
Finally played The Last of Us 2, having managed to mostly avoid spoilers, although of the two or three big ones that I accidentally stumbled on, one turned out to be a complete lie. I swear, the gamer community is so damn toxic, it's actually disgusting.

Anyway, it's a great game. I'm not sure it's quite the masterpiece that the first game was, but I still thought it was amazing. The narrative structure was clever, and super uncomfortable, and it worked so well. I'm not sure it will be very conducive to repeat plays though - once you know where things are going in the second half, I feel like the first half probably wouldn't work so well.

But for that first play through, I clearly had all the right emotional responses that the producers/writers wanted to provoke. I got uncomfortable at all the right places. And in that final Act [SPOILER I GUESS]when you're going after X once again because you just can't let it go, they clearly wanted us to think "no, I don't want to do this, please just leave it". In a way it's kind of sadistic how they manipulated us in that way, but it really does hammer home the point emotionally, and leaves me with a lot to think about in terms of the story and the characters.

I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't be a big fan of the game, but the strength of reaction has been ludicrous and clearly comes a lot from people who either haven't played the game or at least haven't finished it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6826 on: July 30, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
Finally played The Last of Us 2, having managed to mostly avoid spoilers, although of the two or three big ones that I accidentally stumbled on, one turned out to be a complete lie. I swear, the gamer community is so damn toxic, it's actually disgusting.

Anyway, it's a great game. I'm not sure it's quite the masterpiece that the first game was, but I still thought it was amazing. The narrative structure was clever, and super uncomfortable, and it worked so well. I'm not sure it will be very conducive to repeat plays though - once you know where things are going in the second half, I feel like the first half probably wouldn't work so well.

But for that first play through, I clearly had all the right emotional responses that the producers/writers wanted to provoke. I got uncomfortable at all the right places. And in that final Act [SPOILER I GUESS]when you're going after X once again because you just can't let it go, they clearly wanted us to think "no, I don't want to do this, please just leave it". In a way it's kind of sadistic how they manipulated us in that way, but it really does hammer home the point emotionally, and leaves me with a lot to think about in terms of the story and the characters.

I can definitely understand why some people wouldn't be a big fan of the game, but the strength of reaction has been ludicrous and clearly comes a lot from people who either haven't played the game or at least haven't finished it.

Good post. I agree with all of that. I stand amazed at the producer and writers ability to invoke strong emotions, even negative ones. To me, that's art. That game stuck with me for weeks afterward. I would catch myself thinking about the horror of it at random times. A great game with an awful feeling associated with it. I definitely wouldn't deliberately go through the experience again.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6827 on: July 30, 2020, 12:20:37 PM »
I know Mordhau is kind of old news here, but I've been playing the custom servers lately and found this one this morning. They made like 7 maps, sound effects, voice acting, etc. It's wildly fun.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6828 on: July 30, 2020, 01:17:12 PM »
Last one, only because this is my absolute favorite

From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6829 on: July 30, 2020, 01:23:21 PM »

MOON STANCE!!!
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6830 on: July 30, 2020, 02:15:10 PM »
:2metal:
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6831 on: July 30, 2020, 02:19:24 PM »
Microsoft Flight Simulator - First Look (Widescreen)
Flight Simulator PC Hands-On: A Generational Leap In Graphical Realism

Microsoft Flight Simulator to Launch on Steam on August 18; TrackIR and VR Supported
I can highly recommend TrackIR, I use it alot for sims like Project Cars and DCS. I'm excited for this!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 02:42:01 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6832 on: July 30, 2020, 03:22:03 PM »

Nice! And a badass style.

Microsoft Flight Simulator to Launch on Steam on August 18; TrackIR and VR Supported
I can highly recommend TrackIR, I use it alot for sims like Project Cars and DCS. I'm excited for this!

Not my type of game/experience, but man does it look stunning. Super cool to see Microsoft giving this franchise such production values.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6833 on: July 30, 2020, 04:00:54 PM »
This sums up my thoughts on The Last of Us Part II pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb3nnRT7DnY

I too use TrackIR and it is a game changer (pun fully intended) and the new Flight Simulator has been awesome so far in the Alphas and Betas I've played.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6834 on: July 31, 2020, 02:38:03 AM »
This sums up my thoughts on The Last of Us Part II pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb3nnRT7DnY
:rollin

I mean, I disagree with pretty much every single thing he said, apart from the fact that a lot of the gameplay sections are too much of a slog and very obviously just about getting from A to B - this was a gameplay issue in the first game too, but it's even more noticeable in 2 simply because it's a longer game. But even though I completely disagree, I still found that hilarious.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6835 on: July 31, 2020, 05:32:15 AM »
There is something in that review that I very often see in reviews and I just can't agree with that as criticism, that being something along the lines of "has every staple of every AAA game, like crafting and stealth". I mean, that is the genre and it's what people like. Hell, using those broad strokes you can even include games like Sekiro. That is almost like a SNES gamer complaining that Castlevania has jumping from platform to platform from left to right, just like Mario. Every generation has it's popular genres and common elements. You can make a similar point about Celeste following the trend of the multi-multi million sellers DK Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Brothers U and the thousands of similar games before it. I can get the point if a game straight up lifts another experience wholesale because it is popular, but I don't think there are that many games with a similar experience to TLOU this generation.

As for some of the other non-spoiler points:

-That open world section in TLOU II is something ND has done for their last two games as well (if you really can call it open world). And it actually shows one of the strenghts of ND as story tellers in my opinion. Why does the structure of the game briefly change? It is because at that point in the story, the characters do not have any idea where to go next. Thus, there is a more open level in order for the players to experience that.
-Ellie not having any character development is, for me, a really odd statement. The game is chock full of often elaborate moments that drive her further towards a certain path. And the game shows plenty of internal struggles and motivators. Same for really any of the other characters in the game.
-Ellie and Dina being the same character is just patently false.
-The game is basically two campaigns, with similar pacing as the original. Now I totally get that if you aren't into the plot, that it will drag. And I thought the first half could've used some bigger encounters (to shift the balance a bit more towards gameplay). But I don't think there is a section you can just remove and have the game make the same impact. Spending time with the cast (especially the new characters) is essential for the plot to make any impact on people. But again, I do understand that if you don't feel the plot, then there are large stretches you won't enjoy, because the game is story driven.

I also personally think quiet sections help the impact of action sequences. Like when a prog epic has slow sections between when the guitars start soaring, if that makes sense. But I appreciate that people prefer a game that is more "gamey" for the lack of a better word. For me, Doom 2016 is a game on the other end of the spectrum (very gamey, and very awesome), a couple of brief story moments and the rest is just encounter after encounter. I think there is a place for both.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6836 on: July 31, 2020, 11:07:21 AM »

That is pretty funny and entertaining.  But I would tend to think if he was actually a hardcore gamer, he wouldn't have time to put together such an elaborate collection of exaggerations without mentioning much about the beautifully immersive environments and elements of stealth that you supposedly have to "slog" through.  Those were some of my favorite parts of the game.  That video probably took longer to make than playing the game.  Not everyone enjoys a deep and twisting plot or likes the ending of every game.  The point is, did you have fun playing it?  He also takes a shot at Tom Raider and the Uncharted series which are some of the best adventure games ever made.  Obviously way too much time on his hands.  Maybe he should start his own radio show.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6837 on: July 31, 2020, 03:38:17 PM »
To be fair, Zero Punctuation shits on every game. It's the programs schtick. Think of any game you love and that dude has probably eviscerated it. The more universally it's praised, the more likely he's taken a chainsaw to it. But yea, dude is fucking funny as all get-out and very entertaining.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #6838 on: July 31, 2020, 08:13:07 PM »
To be fair, Zero Punctuation shits on every game. It's the programs schtick. Think of any game you love and that dude has probably eviscerated it. The more universally it's praised, the more likely he's taken a chainsaw to it. But yea, dude is fucking funny as all get-out and very entertaining.
That's not entirely true. While he does seem to have very high standards for games and the majority seem overly negative, he has done a fair amount of positive Zero Punctuation reviews.

Also to the point of how long it took to make that video. He has doing those for a long long time. I doubt it take him more than a few hours to edit a video. And maybe a couple hours to write the script, plus maybe an hour to record it. Also keep in mind that it is his job, he is getting paid to do those videos.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6839 on: August 01, 2020, 01:06:04 AM »

Nice!

I finished the game yesterday and now I don't know what to play. I'm going to attempt to play Middle Earth: Shadow of War again.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #6840 on: August 01, 2020, 08:48:22 AM »
Finished Paper Mario Origami King.

I haven't played Color Splash so I don't know how it was story wise.

Origami King, lives up to the Paper Mario name. The way they integrated the 3D, in the backgrounds, setting, and Natural Earth elementals are stunning and good. It's almost like they created origami, took pictures, uploaded them onto the video game software and worked from there, which I think is amazing.

The story is excellent with a nice blend of Emotions, and the humor of the game is in tact and funny as well.

The battle system takes getting used to, but the game implemented a nice counter-point to ease the process, at a cost...(Those damn greedy Toads). But, it's not hard at all to rack up coins.

Its a nice blend of easiness for Kids and a bit difficult for adults. Which is why I feel, they made the battling system different. One thing for sure, this game makes you think and focus because of the timing to make the correct pattern in the battle system. The boss battles are way more fun than the regular battles, as the system is changed a bit but still the same, your on the outer circle instead of inner circle.

Now, to go and 100% and collect everything.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6841 on: August 01, 2020, 12:43:51 PM »
I've never played a Paper Mario game but I've heard good things. How does it compare to say Super Mario Odyssey aside from the different visual style?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6842 on: August 01, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »
I've never played a Paper Mario game but I've heard good things. How does it compare to say Super Mario Odyssey aside from the different visual style?

If they ever release it for Switch, you MUST play The Thousand Year Door. It's among Ninty's best games ever imo.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6843 on: August 01, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »

It doesn't. It's a completely different style of Mario game. They're in the RPG genre, so they are very story based, with turn based battling and random enemy encounters.

It all began with Super Mario RPG: Legend of The Seven Stars (My favorite Nintendo game since the day I first rented the game from Blockbuster). That game has elements that was brought into the Paper Mario Series. The enemy encounters weren't random, they roam the landscape and you physically touch them to trigger the battle screen. The battling is normal RPG turn based with Attack and Magic, leveling up system included.

Paper Mario, continued the RPG aspect and added many things that make it an improvement over Super Mario RPG, mainly in the stories use of humor.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6844 on: August 02, 2020, 12:04:26 PM »
I have only seen trailers, but Paper Mario Origami king seems to look really great visually. I dig it's style a lot. Definitely interested in buying it in the future.

As for the fans of old school Paper Mario, supposedly Bug Fables is an excellent and meaty RPG in that style. It reviewed really well, beter than the actual Paper Mario on switch. It is also a game I will check out in the future

Personally I am a bit of a fan of the Mario and Luigi series. Especially Superstar Saga and Bowsers Inside story. Awesome RPG's in my opinion. It is sad that it's developer closed down before they could move to the Switch. I would've loved for Nintendo to invest in a more console esque Mario and Luigi RPG (with a style more akin to say the Mario Rabbids game by Ubisoft, that one looks quite lovely as well).

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #6845 on: August 02, 2020, 12:53:34 PM »
There is something in that review that I very often see in reviews and I just can't agree with that as criticism, that being something along the lines of "has every staple of every AAA game, like crafting and stealth". I mean, that is the genre and it's what people like. Hell, using those broad strokes you can even include games like Sekiro. That is almost like a SNES gamer complaining that Castlevania has jumping from platform to platform from left to right, just like Mario. Every generation has it's popular genres and common elements. You can make a similar point about Celeste following the trend of the multi-multi million sellers DK Tropical Freeze and New Super Mario Brothers U and the thousands of similar games before it. I can get the point if a game straight up lifts another experience wholesale because it is popular, but I don't think there are that many games with a similar experience to TLOU this generation.

As for some of the other non-spoiler points:

-That open world section in TLOU II is something ND has done for their last two games as well (if you really can call it open world). And it actually shows one of the strenghts of ND as story tellers in my opinion. Why does the structure of the game briefly change? It is because at that point in the story, the characters do not have any idea where to go next. Thus, there is a more open level in order for the players to experience that.
-Ellie not having any character development is, for me, a really odd statement. The game is chock full of often elaborate moments that drive her further towards a certain path. And the game shows plenty of internal struggles and motivators. Same for really any of the other characters in the game.
-Ellie and Dina being the same character is just patently false.
-The game is basically two campaigns, with similar pacing as the original. Now I totally get that if you aren't into the plot, that it will drag. And I thought the first half could've used some bigger encounters (to shift the balance a bit more towards gameplay). But I don't think there is a section you can just remove and have the game make the same impact. Spending time with the cast (especially the new characters) is essential for the plot to make any impact on people. But again, I do understand that if you don't feel the plot, then there are large stretches you won't enjoy, because the game is story driven.

I also personally think quiet sections help the impact of action sequences. Like when a prog epic has slow sections between when the guitars start soaring, if that makes sense. But I appreciate that people prefer a game that is more "gamey" for the lack of a better word. For me, Doom 2016 is a game on the other end of the spectrum (very gamey, and very awesome), a couple of brief story moments and the rest is just encounter after encounter. I think there is a place for both.

The fascinating thing about TLOU2 is that people can't even agree on fundamental aspects of the game, such as which characters have character development. Another common criticism I've read is that the third act of the game is pointless, which is weird, because in my mind the third act has a few clear points that it's trying to get across. We really can't agree on anything, can we? :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6846 on: August 02, 2020, 01:30:45 PM »
I agree about the third act, it was emotionally difficult and I didn't want to be playing it at the time, but once the game finishes it's clear that it's absolutely crucial to the narrative, and to Ellie's story. She absolutely does have "growth" but the only distinct change comes right at the end. Everything up to that point is her trying (and generally failing) to cope with her PTSD by doing what she thinks will help.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6847 on: August 02, 2020, 02:20:05 PM »
I agree about the third act, it was emotionally difficult and I didn't want to be playing it at the time, but once the game finishes it's clear that it's absolutely crucial to the narrative, and to Ellie's story. She absolutely does have "growth" but the only distinct change comes right at the end. Everything up to that point is her trying (and generally failing) to cope with her PTSD by doing what she thinks will help.

Yes, that is true. But the game also shows how she gradually got over her survivors guilt (which was emphasized in Left Behind) past the first game. And how her relationship with Joel developed over time. Hell, there are significant stretches where you play those scenarios, it very much is part of the game. Those sections show character development over the span of several years. And that development is also relevant to her motivations in the "current time", in which most of the game plays out.

People may not like the direction the game took, but I really fail to see how any of this is not character development.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6848 on: August 02, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »

Yes, that is true. But the game also shows how she gradually got over her survivors guilt (which was emphasized in Left Behind) past the first game. And how her relationship with Joel developed over time. Hell, there are significant stretches where you play those scenarios, it very much is part of the game. Those sections show character development over the span of several years. And that development is also relevant to her motivations in the "current time", in which most of the game plays out.
Also a great point, I thought the same thing while playing during the first act, and I loved those flashbacks. Especially the museum one.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6849 on: August 02, 2020, 05:22:02 PM »
I can't remember if i've posted in this thread...

But...Here are some games i've been playing this year.

1. Death Stranding. Great concept and everything but I got fed up with it and never finished it. Carrying people around was The. Worst.

2. Horizon : Zero Dawn. Much better. Reminded me of several games and was way more fun than Death Stranding without being pretentious as f**k

3. Final Fantasy 7 Remake : Good but did exactly what I knew they would - which was - take every scene from FF7 and stretch it out.

For example - in FF7 you have to reach home by running thru a train graveyard whilst moving like a couple of trains.

That's it. In FF7R - that tiny part of the game is now like an hour long with like three boss fights and you have to move like ten trains..

I was so glad to be done with that part.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6850 on: August 02, 2020, 06:34:26 PM »
Ugh, I just won Warzone again thanks to being matched with a hacker.  This time though, he had a hot mic with people in the room.  I could hear him talking to his friends about cheating.   >:( >:( >:( >:( So I annoyed the hell out of him the entire match. He had 37 kills and at one point said "I'm carrying the team to a win"  :lol like he actually thinks he's playing legit or something?! UGH I'm so annoyed, the day I make a video of my first cheating teammate, I get in a game with another  >:( I did get some enjoyment out of him audibly being annoyed with me!  :lol I kept standing in front of him to block his view but as he even said "I don't think they realize I can aimbot through them"

Well one week after the first hacker, here's the full game with the second.  This one is much more interesting and he had a hot mic with a bunch of people over watching him hack.  You can here them talking about drinking, doing acid, and whippets.  You can also clearly hear him admitting to hacking and also that he is VERY annoyed with me because I spent almost the entire match trolling him.  Season 5 of COD starts on Wednesday and they said there's another huge hacker ban coming, but I'm not hopeful they've fixed the problem.

Winning Call of Duty Warzone with a Hacker Volume 2

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6851 on: August 03, 2020, 08:11:25 AM »
I'm finally working on my top 25 list for real now that my roulette is over, and it's eye-opening how much the soundtracks matter to me - almost every game that's going to be on the list has a super strong soundtrack. Music is one of the most important factors of any game to me (with some exceptions of course).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6852 on: August 06, 2020, 11:01:04 AM »
Traded in some games and got Luigi's Mansion 3. It looks like it might be my kind of game. And I love it's graphical style.

Also, come on Nintendo, Pikmin 3 60 dollars? And is this going to be their end of the year release? It doesn't even look enhanced (compare this to, say, the Uncharted trilogy, or almost any port of an old game by any company this generation). And I bet you they will port Mario 3d world with one extra level or something and sell it for 60 dollars as well. Without WiiU games (and yes Breath of the Wild is amongst those too if you ask me. And Mario Maker 2 and Splatoon 2 seem to heavily rely on their WiiU counterparts), the Switch lineup is quite dissapointing to me, was expecting more from them since they now only have one platform to deliver on, instead of both a handheld and console. Thankfully anything WiiU is new to me though, but still.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6853 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:20 AM »
I'm loving the COD season 5 update.  They blew the roof off the stadium creating a huge massive area of the map, also added the interior to the train station making the location so much more interesting.. and maybe the most fun addition, a loot train which is just a wild spot to land.  Definitely going to be able to create some really fun videos playing this season  :metal and I didn't experience a hacker at all yesterday.  Lots of minor fixes too to make it a better experience.  I'm happy they really took some big leaps with this update.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6854 on: August 06, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
Traded in some games and got Luigi's Mansion 3. It looks like it might be my kind of game. And I love it's graphical style.

Also, come on Nintendo, Pikmin 3 60 dollars? And is this going to be their end of the year release? It doesn't even look enhanced (compare this to, say, the Uncharted trilogy, or almost any port of an old game by any company this generation). And I bet you they will port Mario 3d world with one extra level or something and sell it for 60 dollars as well. Without WiiU games (and yes Breath of the Wild is amongst those too if you ask me. And Mario Maker 2 and Splatoon 2 seem to heavily rely on their WiiU counterparts), the Switch lineup is quite dissapointing to me, was expecting more from them since they now only have one platform to deliver on, instead of both a handheld and console. Thankfully anything WiiU is new to me though, but still.

The Switch lineup is awesome even without Wii U ports... Unless you're looking for big AAA games or sports/racing games, I guess. There are so many fantastic games on the console, from many different generations of games, but they've had some amazing Switch exclusive games since 2017.

I'll buy Pikmin 3 for $60. I never played it on the Wii U (I regret not picking it as my free game download), so the whole game plus extra content? Yes, please. And if it's another sale to show that people still want Pikmin, that's cool with me - you know they'll be watching the sales to see what to do with Pikmin 4, if that legend ever comes to life. I bought DKC Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors for the 3rd time, and more at full price, they're great games, and if you didn't play them the first time the price tag doesn't make much of a difference. Now, charging $59.99 for Skyrim? That should be a crime even if people have never played it before.  :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6855 on: August 06, 2020, 02:03:21 PM »

The Switch lineup is awesome even without Wii U ports... Unless you're looking for big AAA games or sports/racing games, I guess. There are so many fantastic games on the console, from many different generations of games, but they've had some amazing Switch exclusive games since 2017.

I'll buy Pikmin 3 for $60. I never played it on the Wii U (I regret not picking it as my free game download), so the whole game plus extra content? Yes, please. And if it's another sale to show that people still want Pikmin, that's cool with me - you know they'll be watching the sales to see what to do with Pikmin 4, if that legend ever comes to life. I bought DKC Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors for the 3rd time, and more at full price, they're great games, and if you didn't play them the first time the price tag doesn't make much of a difference. Now, charging $59.99 for Skyrim? That should be a crime even if people have never played it before.  :lol

I should clarify, I meant Nintendo's own Switch lineup, and I compare it to the 3DS and WiiU combined. I have plenty to play on the Switch and most certainly enjoy my time with it. And I love the device itself.

But I personally do not agree, I think the Switch without Tropical Freeze, Breath of the Wild, Bayonetta 2, New Super Mario Brothers, Hyrule Warriors, Mario Kart 8, Captain Toad would not be the same. There would've been large gaps for me at least. This is obviously also due to my taste, I prefer single player adventures, and stuff like Animal Crossing, Arms and Mario Maker 2 just isn't my jam (Smash is though!). Quality is not the issue offcourse, but their output feels like it is less than before to me.

And Nintendo just does not have that many major releases by third parties, which is why for me their own output is crucial. As much as I like Sony's modern AAA games, without them there is like a major release every month, as well as dozens of indies or AA games (which I also like). And that offers me choice.

Not sure why Skyrim is so different though. That one is enhanced compared to the previous generation and the DLC's included add a massive amount of content compared to the original game back in the day. Furthermore, that was launch window, and having such a game portable was most certainly a novelty.

In the end I will probably buy Pikmin 3 too, though, but I will still feel ripped off damnit :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6856 on: August 06, 2020, 02:08:24 PM »
Skyrim is different because the game is literally almost 8 years old and 2 console generations old, and they're still selling it for $59.99 and when it goes on sale it's still $29.99. For an 8 year old game that you can buy secondhand on PS4 and Xbox consoles for a fraction of that price. It's pretty crazy.

I think it's interesting how differently we perceive the Switch's library considering we both like the same kind of game: single player adventures. I've bought a bunch of third party games on the Switch that have lasted dozens and hundreds of hours each. :P I don't play multiplayer games or online games (except Smash Bros.), otherwise I'm locked in to games I can play entirely alone.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6857 on: August 06, 2020, 02:38:48 PM »
Breath of The Wild is the best The Switch could've hoped for in terms of saving grace. That game alone has probably racked up the most hours played on the switch.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6858 on: August 06, 2020, 02:53:45 PM »
Skyrim is different because the game is literally almost 8 years old and 2 console generations old, and they're still selling it for $59.99 and when it goes on sale it's still $29.99. For an 8 year old game that you can buy secondhand on PS4 and Xbox consoles for a fraction of that price. It's pretty crazy.

I think it's interesting how differently we perceive the Switch's library considering we both like the same kind of game: single player adventures. I've bought a bunch of third party games on the Switch that have lasted dozens and hundreds of hours each. :P I don't play multiplayer games or online games (except Smash Bros.), otherwise I'm locked in to games I can play entirely alone.

To be fair, I bought Skyrim on the PS4, which came out 5 years after the PS3 release. And on Switch it was actually 6 years after, 2011-2017. I'll give you the generation thing, because Nintendo does their own thing, but to me Pikmin 3, being a WiiU game from 2013 (so a 7 year gap), looks closer to a PS3 game than something from the PS4. Pikmin 3 has been 20 dollars on the WiiU for a while (years?), and now Nintendo apparently deleted it from that digitial storefront.
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/nintendo_has_removed_pikmin_3_from_the_wii_u_eshop_ahead_of_the_switch_release

I think that move kinda sucks tbh.

As for the lineup, I think it has to do with expectations. I will say the new Paper Mario looks amazing, but the rest of 2020 looks kind of empty to me. Yes, maybe they will do more reveals close to release, but I will believe it when I see it.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #6859 on: August 06, 2020, 03:54:26 PM »
I feel Paper Mario: Origami King could've been a bit longer, but it's fun trying to find all the things to 100%, This damn River section is driving me insane.