Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488997 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #6720 on: July 20, 2020, 09:29:26 AM »
Wow that's some old gameplay footage and yea that can ruin ones experience with a game

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6721 on: July 20, 2020, 11:10:58 AM »
That was my primary reason for dumping the COD franchise on console. MW2 was unplayable.

I don't recall how hacking worked back then, but people seem to think hacking is limited to PC but apparently, you can buy hardware for a console to allow you to hack too.  Like certain controllers that will allow you to fire auto on single shot guns.  Almost like a video game version of a bump stock you hear about in the news for real guns.  It's absolutely insane how people will try so hard to hack, and for what reason?  It's way too obvious when you hack so it's not like you are perceived as some really good player (ala real life athletes using performance enhancers but you can't say for sure if they are actually cheating) but you come off as a total fucking loser.

Why do they hack multiplayer games? Is it a form of trolling or do they just want to win? Seems pretty lame to win via hacking.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6722 on: July 20, 2020, 11:17:36 AM »
That was my primary reason for dumping the COD franchise on console. MW2 was unplayable.

I don't recall how hacking worked back then, but people seem to think hacking is limited to PC but apparently, you can buy hardware for a console to allow you to hack too.  Like certain controllers that will allow you to fire auto on single shot guns.  Almost like a video game version of a bump stock you hear about in the news for real guns.  It's absolutely insane how people will try so hard to hack, and for what reason?  It's way too obvious when you hack so it's not like you are perceived as some really good player (ala real life athletes using performance enhancers but you can't say for sure if they are actually cheating) but you come off as a total fucking loser.

Why do they hack multiplayer games? Is it a form of trolling or do they just want to win? Seems pretty lame to win via hacking.

I think it's both.  Some do it for the lols but I think a lot also do it for the edge on winning.  But I can't see how that would be fun after a game or two.  Like part of me would be interested in trying the hacks just to see how powerful they are (I won't, because I don't want to risk being banned nor do I want to support the companies that make these hacks) but seriously, after dominating a game so unfairly, wouldn't you be bored?  Like that just takes away all the fun not just for everyone but for yourself too.  I've seen lots of discussion on reddit about the "why" and it seems a lot of people just want to win that badly.  People have no shame these days.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6723 on: July 20, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »

I think it's both.  Some do it for the lols but I think a lot also do it for the edge on winning.  But I can't see how that would be fun after a game or two.  Like part of me would be interested in trying the hacks just to see how powerful they are (I won't, because I don't want to risk being banned nor do I want to support the companies that make these hacks) but seriously, after dominating a game so unfairly, wouldn't you be bored?  Like that just takes away all the fun not just for everyone but for yourself too.  I've seen lots of discussion on reddit about the "why" and it seems a lot of people just want to win that badly.  People have no shame these days.

That's really pathetic. I don't see how that gives anyone a sense of achievement.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6724 on: July 20, 2020, 11:23:10 AM »
A lot of hackers play mental gymnastics with themselves to make it feel ok to them "everyone else does it" mentality. And sadly, it's not that far off from the truth. Sometimes I feel like the game is only competitive if you are cheating.  >:( Anyway, I think I'm going to put the whole game on youtube and not edit it, maybe add some commentary but not cut anything out. You can see the moment I notice the guy is hacking and then I just get all stupid after that  :lol he also died early on too, but I think it's because even cheating cant save you from where we landed. But I cant imagine beating a hacker in the gulag.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6725 on: July 20, 2020, 12:03:19 PM »
Hackers fucking suck. I remember being a kid playing Socom 2 online and then these people come with a damn rocket launcher that shoots like an M60. But surely in the digital age and everything being tied to accounts (steam, PSN etc.) punishment is easier? But those types are the obvious ones. I saw a video a while ago on aimbots and sometimes you really need to be an expert player yourself to spot it, unfortunately. Like an advanced aim assist that still requires a normal level of play. Like, I remember some people were catched using it while streaming because they left it visible on screen, but nobody was noticing it before apparently.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6726 on: July 20, 2020, 12:07:33 PM »
Yup, this was just a recent example of someone forgetting to unhide the hacks from twitch

https://gamerant.com/modern-warfare-twistedbear-cheating-twitch-stream-video-clip/

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6727 on: July 20, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »
Hackers fucking suck. I remember being a kid playing Socom 2 online and then these people come with a damn rocket launcher that shoots like an M60.

I swear this is true... A good friend of mine in high school along with 1 or 2 other people took down that game. I remember him showing me the hacks they were working on before they released it into the wild. My friend was responsible for that automatic rocket launcher you speak of (it could also shoot through terrain). It was nuts. You used to have to physically modify your PS2 to do it. There was stuff in the software that ordered DRM checks based on the opening and closing of the disc drive. You'd have to open your PS2 and swap out discs without opening the drive, and that'd allow you to circumvent the DRM stuff. This was still long before the days of developers being able to push out patches and hot fixes, so once they released it to the world, that game was toast. He was always a wiz with coding and went on to co-found Zynga.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6728 on: July 20, 2020, 01:27:23 PM »
I'm not really a fan of anything multi-player.  Sometimes I'll go out there and mingle amongst the masses in shooters or racing games, but not very often.  I'm more of a single player campaign gamer.

Anybody here familiar with the Tomb Raider series?  I have a PS Now membership and they offer 2 free downloads every month.  Downloaded the 20 year celebration edition of Rise of the Tomb Raider.  I like it a lot and got nothing to lose on a free download.  Also downloaded Shadow of the Tomb Raider free from the PS Now game list which offers hundreds of streaming titles and some downloadable.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6729 on: July 20, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »
The latest Tomb Raider games were really fun

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6730 on: July 20, 2020, 02:04:42 PM »
My heart belongs to Tomb Raider I and II for PS1, but they are very difficult to go back to now a days.

The PS2 ones didn't blow my mind, but I really liked Tomb Raider Underworld for PS3

And I love Shadows of the tomb raider for PS4. Man, what a game

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6731 on: July 20, 2020, 02:13:46 PM »
Yea I have a special spot for the original tomb raider games, but the didn't age well.  The fresh take on the series with the last two games were really well done though. 

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6732 on: July 20, 2020, 02:17:37 PM »
Yea I have a special spot for the original tomb raider games, but the didn't age well. 

I feel that way about Golden Eye on N64. Arguably one of the best and most important games in gaming history, but if you try to play it today, you'll have a miserable time.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #6733 on: July 20, 2020, 02:22:19 PM »
My heart belongs to Tomb Raider I and II for PS1, but they are very difficult to go back to now a days.
Oh i'm so with you, I still remember the first time I played TR1 on PS1 back in the day.  :heart

Big fan of the franchise but yea it's pretty much been downhill. Sure the recent games have been fun but they're diffrent and focus more on shooting badguys than exploration. The recent game had more cave exploring but it still felt like sidequests.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6734 on: July 20, 2020, 02:28:10 PM »
Yea I have a special spot for the original tomb raider games, but the didn't age well. 

I feel that way about Golden Eye on N64. Arguably one of the best and most important games in gaming history, but if you try to play it today, you'll have a miserable time.

Yea totally.  Actually played a few months ago since my friend has a huge collection of classic games and of course everyone was like, lets play Golden Eye since it was such an iconic game for our generation... and none of us enjoyed it. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6735 on: July 20, 2020, 04:03:31 PM »
Goldeneye was one of my absolute favorites, but my god today it looks ROUGH...   :lol

Same thing with the PS1 Tomb Raiders. I was like "oh let me go replay one of my favorite games" only to put it down after the first level, lol.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6736 on: July 20, 2020, 04:07:31 PM »
It doesn't just look rough, it plays terribly  :lol A single joystick is such a limiting factor, it almost makes it unplayable. It's kind of funny how back then, not knowing what we didn't know, no one seemed to be bothered by the single stick.

There's some other games that look really rough but still play fantastically. Tony Hawk Pro Skater is probably the best example I can think of.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6737 on: July 20, 2020, 05:21:17 PM »
Yea, it's not just the shapes that look weird, it's the entire experience.  I think FPS games have just evolved so much that one of the first just really doesn't hold up well anymore.  Also, since it's so much harder to aim, playing as the small guy was such a huge advantage (I forget his name, oddjob?)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #6738 on: July 20, 2020, 05:26:35 PM »
Until my N64 collection was stolen, I was going through several of the games that I hadn't touched in many years. One of them was Goldeneye. That game has to be in the pantheon of 'worst-aged games of all time.' I remember when my dad surprised me with it one night after work and I about pissed myself, and took to it like a fish to water and had no problems with the controls. 20 years later playing it on an HDTV (first mistake), trying to acclimate to the single stick N64 controller and no lock on? I didn't even beat the first level, and I died four times. Incredible considering how often we played multiplayer in it back in the day.

Maybe if I had a CRT TV it'd be more tolerable, but probably not any fun at all. It's pretty fascinating to consider these days, though, considering its legacy to games and FPSes particularly. I remember some of the story missions vividly, especially the facility with all the gas...
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6739 on: July 20, 2020, 05:29:21 PM »
Until my N64 collection was stolen, I was going through several of the games that I hadn't touched in many years. One of them was Goldeneye. That game has to be in the pantheon of 'worst-aged games of all time.' I remember when my dad surprised me with it one night after work and I about pissed myself, and took to it like a fish to water and had no problems with the controls. 20 years later playing it on an HDTV (first mistake), trying to acclimate to the single stick N64 controller and no lock on? I didn't even beat the first level, and I died four times. Incredible considering how often we played multiplayer in it back in the day.

Maybe if I had a CRT TV it'd be more tolerable, but probably not any fun at all. It's pretty fascinating to consider these days, though, considering its legacy to games and FPSes particularly. I remember some of the story missions vividly, especially the facility with all the gas...

No it won't.  My friend with the classic game library has some box from Japan that does some magic to make old school game look really good on HDTVs.  It does make the game look a little better, but does not make the experience playing it any better.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6740 on: July 20, 2020, 05:32:53 PM »
I feel so old.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6741 on: July 20, 2020, 05:34:08 PM »
Tell me about it  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6742 on: July 20, 2020, 05:36:16 PM »
Honestly, this is a bit of a tangent now, but I would love to hear from developers from back then. I want to know what they thought of the graphics of most PS1 and N64 games, especially early on. Did they think it actually looked good or was it more that they were impressed with what they could do with a whole new dimension of space to work with? I was playing Donkey Kong Country last night on my Switch, and even on a 55" TV and all the exaggerated pixelation at that resolution, artistically, it still aged better than pretty much the entire N64 catalog, and it came out 2 years before Mario 64. Obviously Ocarina of Time and a few others looked amazing for the time but a lot of them not so much. Kind of like replaying Metal Gear Solid these days and watching the character models in the cutscenes  :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6743 on: July 20, 2020, 05:55:36 PM »
It was definitely about pushing the tech boundaries.  N64 stood for 64 bits, which was the top tech at the time which meant you could do so much more with graphics compared to the original Nintendo at 8 bits.  I'm sure the developers didn't think it looked real, but thought it looked so much better than they thought a few years prior.  Now we are reaching the point were "bits" don't matter as we reach the physical capacity that we can handle as humans, at least with our eyes and ears. 

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6744 on: July 20, 2020, 06:05:47 PM »
Kids these days don't know, man. The stuff they were doing with Donkey Kong Country on the SNES was groundbreaking on its own, but when that 3D dropped, it was like blowing open a door to a whole new world. I remember walking through the store one day - 5 years old, so only had some Nintendo Power magazines, and absolutely no concept of '3d gaming' or 'next gen consoles' - and saw a kiosk with Mario 64 and this bizarre looking controller. Saw Mario spinning Bowser by the tail on the screen. Almost peed my pants and changed my life, almost not kidding  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #6745 on: July 20, 2020, 07:27:50 PM »
It doesn't just look rough, it plays terribly  :lol A single joystick is such a limiting factor, it almost makes it unplayable. It's kind of funny how back then, not knowing what we didn't know, no one seemed to be bothered by the single stick.

That's funny when I think about it. Us kids thought the game controlled just fine. I don't think I could ever play Goldeneye today though  :lol  It's weird how Doom came out 4 years before Goldeneye, yet Doom's gameplay has aged so much better.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6746 on: July 21, 2020, 05:47:46 AM »
Ghost of Tsuchima is amazing. I love the setting, story, combat. And the world is pure visual bliss. What a stylish game, even minor sidequests often have a unique visual identity, where the devs chose specific weather/lightning/particle conditions to enhance the atmosphere.

And the photomode is done very well, you can seemlessly alter the weather/time/wind(direction) to make the perfect captures. Given that their last game (Second Son), was one of the earlier AAA non-racing games with a prominent photomode, it makes sense that the devs went all in here.

And yeah, Goldeneye is pretty damn bad to play these days. I did enjoy playing the Perfect Dark remaster (360) though, but that one is patched up visually (though still close to the N64 game in terms of overall look) and was given a more modern control scheme. I recently played Doom 64 on the Switch and it is kind of funny how that got bad reviews back in the day because it felt old fashioned, yet that one plays very well still.

Hackers fucking suck. I remember being a kid playing Socom 2 online and then these people come with a damn rocket launcher that shoots like an M60.

I swear this is true... A good friend of mine in high school along with 1 or 2 other people took down that game. I remember him showing me the hacks they were working on before they released it into the wild. My friend was responsible for that automatic rocket launcher you speak of (it could also shoot through terrain). It was nuts. You used to have to physically modify your PS2 to do it. There was stuff in the software that ordered DRM checks based on the opening and closing of the disc drive. You'd have to open your PS2 and swap out discs without opening the drive, and that'd allow you to circumvent the DRM stuff. This was still long before the days of developers being able to push out patches and hot fixes, so once they released it to the world, that game was toast. He was always a wiz with coding and went on to co-found Zynga.

Well, screw him for ruining my childhood then  :lol

And yeah, those times were wild. Even the game without any tinkering allowed for some weird glitches that gave you massive advantages, and nothing could really be done about it.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6747 on: July 21, 2020, 07:17:39 AM »

And yeah, those times were wild. Even the game without any tinkering allowed for some weird glitches that gave you massive advantages, and nothing could really be done about it.

I remember Socom II having tons of those little glitches. I remember one specifically on Crossroads where you could lay down in the prone position and crawl sideways into a particular flower planter. When you reached the corner where the planter met the ground, you could fall under the map. Not only that, but when you looked up the floor was invisible. So you could just walk around the underworld, seeing everyone above you, and then shoot them from below. Used to drive me nuts.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6748 on: July 22, 2020, 10:22:51 AM »
Anyone familiar with DPI settings for your mouse for gaming? 

So historically, I like to not move my hand too much for my mouse, slight subtle movements to get the most gain from the mouse.  I never really thought about this impact on my gaming, but a friend said watching me that it gives him headaches because I move so quickly and it jitters in a way.  Got me thinking, is my DPI settings correct for gaming?  I mean, I've been PC gaming for 10 years or so now and never even thought about this.  Turns out I have my DPI at 3200 and I googled best DPI settings for COD and they say between 400-800.  Wow I am way fucking off on this.  So I experimented, at 600, I really struggled moving my hand to get the mouse to go, but I set it to 1000 and wow I immediately noticed how much more accurate I was at shooting in COD.  Have I been this stupid for 10 years?  :lol  I kind of always thought this was just personal preference, not a proven thing.  I've got to get used to moving my hand much more, but I'm wondering if I just unlocked a setting that is going to allow me to play much better once my hand gets used to this setting.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #6749 on: July 22, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
Yep, I had the same paradigm shift about a 5 years ago when I really got into competitive shooters for a while (and then fucked off cause RAGE). It's so easy to think "Well, of course higher sensitivity means more accuracy and precision". Except...humans are clumsy fuckers. If it were a robot's movements, it'd probably use the highest setting and move half a millimeter to make each shot perfectly and in less time than the opponents, that makes sense. For us though, with how we move and perceive, just a bit of lag goes a long way in fixing our own twitches and mistakes. My kill ratio went up so much when I turned my sensitivity down and realized that it may actually be better to move a bit slower and give myself more leeway and simply compensate by moving my hand more.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6750 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:59 AM »
I really got into competitive shooters for a while (and then fucked off cause RAGE).

:rollin man I have such a large amount of rage at times playing COD Warzone.  Last night one of the random people who friended me and then games with me occassionally was like "you were the guy two weeks ago I played with who went apeshit on my friend and rage quitted right?"   :lol yup that was me.  I will often times go completely off on a random teammate if they aren't able to do the most basic things in a game, especially if you are in the middle of a battle like we were.  I forgot I was playing with a friend of a friend and totally ripped the guy to shreds, our mutual friend thought it was hilarious though and we were just joking about it once I confirmed, yup, the rager was me.  I'm just mad I didn't keep that recording, the rage in me also immediately deleted the video file without even watching it.  I'm just glad I express my rage by screaming and not breaking my keyboard.

Also, good to hear your feedback on the mouse settings.  I had to figure I'm not the only one who realized this mistake.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6751 on: July 22, 2020, 12:02:04 PM »
e-rage is one reason I don't like gaming online or playing team games at all. Nothing makes me have less fun than someone on my team raging and taking things too seriously and then yelling at people on their teams especially if they're new or having trouble doing something. Every. Single. Game. I have played with a multi/team element has this and I hate participating :/

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6752 on: July 22, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
I play ranked League of Legends sometimes and I just mute everyone as soon as the game begins. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #6753 on: July 22, 2020, 12:11:31 PM »
Yeah it's super easy to go off for some people. It can be funny, but it can also really get to you. It got to the point where I had this epiphany that I got really anxious and stressed while playing and was legitimately only playing to see those kill numbers and low death numbers; I wasn't having fun. So I left and haven't looked back. I'll still hop on from time to time but yeah, hearing all the raging people just makes me think "holy crap, I do not miss this". Also, man is it a time sucker, and if you leave even for a blink, much like an MMO, you'll get left behind. At 25, I was cool to do that. At 32, trying to get my life back in order and get some real savings going...nope, zero time for that.  :lol

I've been having a blast with Death Stranding on PC though. I was going to buy a PS4 but we're so close to the next gen that I am definitely waiting. It's such a calming game that has it's random, intense moments. I also am now super into the movie/game hybrid, more so than I was years ago. Kojima's style isn't for everyone and people will shit all over it, but if you're into a more explorative, movie-like experience, it's a really amazing game. I will also never get tired of hearing Norman Reedus and Mads Mikkelson talk. Ever.

Edit: Oh my god I'm 31...I've been telling anyone that asks that I'm 32 this year...what...WHAT.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 12:30:35 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6754 on: July 22, 2020, 12:36:25 PM »
I play ranked League of Legends sometimes and I just mute everyone as soon as the game begins. :lol

This is a smart thing to do in toxic games like COD, but I generally enjoy and do better when a team is communicating.  I join so many lobbies where someone says "mic check" and if the whole team doesnt respond, they just quit (I don't do this because I feel like it would take forever to find a match to actually play).  The reality is, if you aren't communicating, your chance of winning goes down the toilet in some of these games.

Yeah it's super easy to go off for some people. It can be funny, but it can also really get to you. It got to the point where I had this epiphany that I got really anxious and stressed while playing and was legitimately only playing to see those kill numbers and low death numbers; I wasn't having fun. So I left and haven't looked back.

My one friend is really really good at FPS games.  Like insanely good that he could be close to professional level if he played more.  But he had this same issue.  He said he couldn't sleep after playing because he would be so hyped up from the game that he stopped playing all together.  I always told him, stop taking it so seriously.  It's just a game, we all want to win, but winning is not worth the cost of your mental health.  I've also found that I win more when I'm not so serious, just play loose and you do much better than being so tense.  In fact my win two nights ago (not with the cheater) was me playing like a total idiot just having fun until we actually got near the end and realized we had a shot at actually winning.  But not everyone can turn off the seriousness.