Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489115 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #5880 on: January 15, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
The most difficult fight I had in Horizon: Zero Dawn was that Thunderjaw Fight. Such a pain in my sack. I don't remember which difficulty I was playing on but I'm sure it was one of the higher difficulties.

Oh my god, yeah. That Thunderjaw really f'ed me up. At one point I got fed up with running away and trying to position myself and just ran up to it hacking at it, yelling from my couch  :lol

If you don't knock the disc launcher's off the Thunderjaw and use them, I have no idea how hard it would be to beat it, and how many resources you would need to re-craft your ammo over and over again.  I (amazingly) somehow beat a Stormbird the first time I ran into one.  Couldn't believe it.  And that was before I had the Ancient Armor - which again, I can't begin to imagine how hard the final battle would be without it.  Those f'n Rockbreakers piss me off more than anything.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #5881 on: January 15, 2020, 11:47:43 AM »
The most difficult fight I had in Horizon: Zero Dawn was that Thunderjaw Fight. Such a pain in my sack. I don't remember which difficulty I was playing on but I'm sure it was one of the higher difficulties.

Oh my god, yeah. That Thunderjaw really f'ed me up. At one point I got fed up with running away and trying to position myself and just ran up to it hacking at it, yelling from my couch  :lol

If you don't knock the disc launcher's off the Thunderjaw and use them, I have no idea how hard it would be to beat it, and how many resources you would need to re-craft your ammo over and over again.  I (amazingly) somehow beat a Stormbird the first time I ran into one.  Couldn't believe it.  And that was before I had the Ancient Armor - which again, I can't begin to imagine how hard the final battle would be without it.  Those f'n Rockbreakers piss me off more than anything.

Oh man... okay, so on story difficulty, I think you deal 400% damage and take 10%. So my frustration with it was mainly all the projectiles and how fast it could move. I did try to take one on at 'normal' difficulty but I'm a weenie and bad at this game so I didn't last long :lol As a result I never used the disc launcher. What I did was run away, dodge a lot, and scan it when I could. Then I would use piercing arrows modded with like 92% tear, with the perk to fire multiple arrows, and just try to hit it as often as I could. I got really good at moving quickly and firing and making really lucky shots with maximum concentration.

And that's how I approach pretty much every fight until I get seen and go melee. Hide in the distance, snipe the weak points, use those special arrows to knock components off, then snipe the kill.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5882 on: January 15, 2020, 11:53:38 AM »
Those f'n Rockbreakers piss me off more than anything.

One at a time, I really enjoy putting down Rockbreakers...taking them on in pairs (without cheesing from a rocky platform, or something) is brutal and is the only time I ever rage quit from HZD.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5883 on: January 15, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »
One at a time, I really enjoy putting down Rockbreakers...taking them on in pairs (without cheesing from a rocky platform, or something) is brutal and is the only time I ever rage quit from HZD.  :lol

Can't say I understand a single word in this sentence.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5884 on: January 15, 2020, 12:00:25 PM »

Can't say I understand a single word in this sentence.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5885 on: January 15, 2020, 12:01:37 PM »
 :lol

I thought it odd that the fogeys (you, Chad) were responding in this thread, so I clicked in.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5886 on: January 15, 2020, 12:04:22 PM »
Horizon can be a pretty difficult game yes, I did struggle on normal at times. But that was perfect for me. Fighting a giant robot with a bow felt tense as it should.

Oh man... okay, so on story difficulty, I think you deal 400% damage and take 10%. So my frustration with it was mainly all the projectiles and how fast it could move. I did try to take one on at 'normal' difficulty but I'm a weenie and bad at this game so I didn't last long :lol As a result I never used the disc launcher. What I did was run away, dodge a lot, and scan it when I could. Then I would use piercing arrows modded with like 92% tear, with the perk to fire multiple arrows, and just try to hit it as often as I could. I got really good at moving quickly and firing and making really lucky shots with maximum concentration.

And that's how I approach pretty much every fight until I get seen and go melee. Hide in the distance, snipe the weak points, use those special arrows to knock components off, then snipe the kill.

Oh yeah I dislike that stuff too. I cannot stand the Persona series, for example. But all the positives outweigh it for me. Plus, I focused on the characters I liked, of which there are plenty. And I barely did the creepy Tea Time stuff. Even on Hard/Hardcore that is not needed at all.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5887 on: January 15, 2020, 12:31:24 PM »

The best tactic I ever found on Thunderjaws was to get off a couple of tearblast arrows at their disc launchers, hit it with a few freeze bombs until it's frosty, pickup the disc launcher and let 'im have it. On normal difficulty that would usually be enough to bring it down. On hard difficulty you would have to go through that sequence a couple of times. It was a great way to farm purple mods too!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5888 on: January 15, 2020, 12:37:59 PM »
Good tactic, Gregg.  Trouble was, in most situations, there'd be a Ravager or some other machines around distracting you from being able to concentrate maximum effort on the TJ.  So many times I did exactly that (knock off the disc launcher), then couldn't find the damn things strewn in the mess of machine parts!   :lol  One thing I only did once (because it was on a Hunting Grounds trial) was over-ride a TJ.  Man, that'd be a good machine to have as an ally!

Tim... fogeys play video games too!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5889 on: January 15, 2020, 01:54:33 PM »
Either the world is enormous or the story is just short, because I was expecting to do more with Tallnecks. I literally only ever saw one the ENTIRE time I played the game, and that was during one of the main missions... never just saw one roaming in the wild. Don't tell me where they are... I'll find 'em. But I find that interesting... I at least came across Thunderjaws and Stormbirds. The Tallnecks always looked like the coolest ones, and I wanna override one. Maybe I'll search for one tonight.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5890 on: January 15, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
Buy the maps from the merchants, and they'll show up.  There's only 5, iirc.

Offline H2

« Reply #5891 on: January 15, 2020, 04:08:03 PM »
I adore Fire Emblem. Been a very long time since I've played the Japan-only games, but I remember really enjoying Thracia 776 despite its absurd difficulty. The GBA games are wonderful, and imo the best DS one by a long shot is Awakening. Never got around to the Fates games sadly. I have Fire Emblem Warriors on Switch and it is addictive as heck, and eventually I'll pick up Three Houses. What's your favorite? Mine will always be 7, the one on GBA with Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector.
FE4 - on chapter 4
FE6 - completed Normal; working on Hard
FE7 - completed Eliwood Normal (ranked), and Hector Normal; working on Hector Hard
FE8 - completed Eirika Hard; working on Ephraim Hard
FE11 - completed Normal
FE12 - working on Normal

There are just so many games and game modes to get through. I think I can play on the hardest difficulties but it takes a lot of time and focus and I'd prefer to play the easier modes first. My favorite so far is FE6. I feel that it's balanced, it has good maps, interesting gameplay, and interesting units. FE7 is cool and very different in gameplay from FE6 despite the same mechanics. It's so enemy phase-oriented. FE8 is really fun even with Seth and I think I prefer it to FE7. FE11 had great writing and cool quality of life features, but I felt the lack of rescue-dropping and other movement tricks make things slightly less interesting. Plus I'm not a big fan of reclassing from a storytelling perspective. FE12 has had better maps and more interesting gameplay than FE11 so far.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5892 on: January 16, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
I recently got a PS4 Pro as a present and will likely trade my old one in for an Xbox One S.

I actually have so-so nterest in the One library but Microsoft does have a great backwards compatability feature. I intend to use the One as a mediahub for my old (720p, suits the sub-HD One S) television and to check out some of the following titles:

-Witcher 2
-Morrowind
-Fable and Fable 2 (the anniversary stuff)
-Gears 2 and 3
-Jade Empire
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory and Blacklist
-Alan Wake

And perhaps some classics I enjoyed as a kid on the PS2.

As for the One, maybe I'll try
-Sunset Overdrive
-Forza Horizon 2
-Gears 5
-Quantum Break
-Rare Replay

Don't know other games from the top of my head. I don't like Halo and don't plan on going online for MP stuff.

Also, my gaming laptop died and I don't think I will return to gaming pc's for the coming years. I have extremely bad luck with them and on a pc there is too much distraction for me to dedicate time to gaming. And on PC I always end up tinkering for way too long. Which is odd because on consoles I don't care that much when a game isn't well optimised. Anyways, the Xbox serves well to try some of these classics for cheap. But yes, I own quite a bit of these on steam already  :P

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5893 on: January 16, 2020, 10:46:51 AM »
I'm very similar ErHaO - I end up fidgeting with my settings on the PC WAY too often, and for too long. Whereas on consoles I just don't care *at all.* I remember after building my rig and GTA 5 had launched... I spent every few seconds going back into the menus to adjust settings and make sure I was running at the absolute finest settings I could. I realized that wasn't healthy for me in the long run and I greatly appreciate loading GTA 5 up on my PS4 and the only setting I have to worry about is making sure the lightbar and controller sound effects are off  :lol

Also speaking of Fire Emblem, yet another blue-haired, sword-wielding Fire Emblem character was announced for Smash. That's 5 blue-haired swordsmen in Smash from FE, but Zelda hasn't had a new character since 2008.  And it's not even like it's a free character like Chrom was when Ultimate was announced... you still have to pay $5.99 for this one :facepalm:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5894 on: January 16, 2020, 03:28:39 PM »
Bit more indie than most of the current discussion, but has anyone here played Rakuen?

I've just finished it and I'm basically an emotional wreck. Like most indie games in a similar vein, as a game it's fairly simple, but the story is so beautifully told and god there were a whole load of moments that were incredibly moving, and then the last half hour or so just destroyed me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:22:33 PM by ariich »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5895 on: January 16, 2020, 04:03:19 PM »
I started my 3:rd runthrough of Prey, it's still such a great game and underrated as heck imo.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #5896 on: January 17, 2020, 02:34:47 AM »
The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku. It’s an unprecedented move for Sony that signals a future in which the publisher releases games on platforms beyond its own consoles.

This news comes from three people familiar with Sony’s plans, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://kotaku.com/sources-horizon-zero-dawn-is-coming-to-pc-1841043569
That would be cool!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #5897 on: January 17, 2020, 05:17:53 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5898 on: January 17, 2020, 06:45:15 AM »
The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku. It’s an unprecedented move for Sony that signals a future in which the publisher releases games on platforms beyond its own consoles.

This news comes from three people familiar with Sony’s plans, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

That would be cool!

Since its a PS game, I never really cared to even look into it.  But all the talk has been so positive that maybe I will have to check it out now when it comes to PC.  I'd love if more PS exclusives move to PC eventually. 

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ΏDe quι sirviσ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5899 on: January 17, 2020, 07:43:14 AM »
Cyberpunk 2077 delayed till mid September...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/16/21069016/cyberpunk-2077-new-release-date-date-delay-september-cd-projekt-red

God Dammit
I'm glad they're taking their time instead of crunching their devs to death and releasing a buggy mess.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5900 on: January 17, 2020, 07:49:01 AM »
I agree with Sacul. I also suddenly got interested in that game because I'll be able to play it now  :biggrin:  :lol

I looked up Rakuen; seems to only be for PC, but I love how it is very clearly paying homage to the old SNES or GBA eras of gaming.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ΏDe quι sirviσ haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5901 on: January 17, 2020, 09:02:14 AM »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5902 on: January 17, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5903 on: January 17, 2020, 01:19:55 PM »

I know I've used the disc launcher against other Thunderjaws but I don't recall if I used it on the one in the underground place...I forgot what they were called. Bunkers?

Cyberpunk 2077 delayed till mid September...

https://www.theverge.com/2020/1/16/21069016/cyberpunk-2077-new-release-date-date-delay-september-cd-projekt-red

God Dammit

Sad news but not unexpected. Isn't every major game delayed? I wouldn't be surprised at all if it gets delayed again.

That would be cool!

I don't know if I'd ever play it again but that's good news!
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5904 on: January 17, 2020, 01:51:32 PM »
^^ Cauldrons would be the underground places. I was just thinking about those - I only ever did the first one, Cauldron Sigma. I completely forgot Cauldrons even existed until now  :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5905 on: January 17, 2020, 03:57:53 PM »
^^ Cauldrons would be the underground places. I was just thinking about those - I only ever did the first one, Cauldron Sigma. I completely forgot Cauldrons even existed until now  :lol

Oh I thought you had to go into a few of them for the story missions. Didn't you fight that Thunderjaw down there? Maybe that wasn't a Cauldron  ???

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5906 on: January 17, 2020, 04:31:10 PM »

Oh I thought you had to go into a few of them for the story missions. Didn't you fight that Thunderjaw down there? Maybe that wasn't a Cauldron  ???

I have literally only completed about 40% of the game according to my menus, but yeah, I only went into Cauldron Sigma, and have yet to see any others, so if it was part of the story missions to do more Cauldrons then they're not mandatory to beat the game! Hopefully I'll get to another cauldron this weekend. Guess I'm not moving onto Red Dead just yet after all!

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5907 on: January 18, 2020, 05:43:23 AM »
Kat,

You play like my son, just rush headlong through the story. By the time I finished the game I had 90+% (I never completed getting full suns for the time trials) of it completed and was maxed out on level. Some of the side missions were the best part of the game, IMO.

Actually, just talking about it in this thread makes me want to give it another go.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5908 on: January 19, 2020, 04:31:40 AM »
Kat,

You play like my son, just rush headlong through the story. By the time I finished the game I had 90+% (I never completed getting full suns for the time trials) of it completed and was maxed out on level. Some of the side missions were the best part of the game, IMO.

Actually, just talking about it in this thread makes me want to give it another go.

Same.... it's the journey, not the destination.  I also did all the Hunting Trials with full blazing sun attainment.  I really wanted those Lodge Weapons.  Had to cheat a little and get some YT guidance on the ancient armory power cell locations, but that upgrade was well worth it.  Also did all the cauldrons so I could over-ride pretty much any machine I wanted.  I've got a couple of side quests still to do, then the Frozen Wilds (still debating if I want to do that, or skip on over to Spider-Man)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5909 on: January 19, 2020, 06:33:48 AM »
Kat,

Same.... it's the journey, not the destination.  I also did all the Hunting Trials with full blazing sun attainment.  I really wanted those Lodge Weapons.  Had to cheat a little and get some YT guidance on the ancient armory power cell locations, but that upgrade was well worth it.  Also did all the cauldrons so I could over-ride pretty much any machine I wanted.  I've got a couple of side quests still to do, then the Frozen Wilds (still debating if I want to do that, or skip on over to Spider-Man)

The Frozen Wilds is terrific, IMO, and well worth your time. The setting is awesome, especially if you've spent much time around Yellowstone. Be warned, however, the nastiest machine in the entire game is there. It takes some real twitchy skill, quick thinking and precision aim to take it down. I'm not sure I ever beat it in a fair fight. I had to cheese it like hell with traps and trips.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5910 on: January 19, 2020, 07:54:17 AM »
Normally with open world games I take my time. Horizon was the first time I blew through the story in order to 'finish' the game and have the world to explore later with no restrictions or story boundaries. Took me over 125 hours just to finish the map for Breath of the Wild for example.  :biggrin:

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #5911 on: January 20, 2020, 05:27:09 PM »
I'm playing ASSassin's Creed Odyssey and it's not that good. I've owned the game since it came out but stopped playing it due to the dorky protagonist and performance issues on my old build. Now I'm replaying on my new build and I chose the womang. Her voice acting is better, methinks. Anyway, Moving around the game world doesn't feel or look that great. Goofy-looking movement animations. I miss the more planted-feeling from Origins.

The combat doesn't feel very good or visceral and there are lots of bullet-sponge enemies even when they're at the same level as me. I hope it gets better once I level my shit up. I'm only level 10 (or 11 perhaps). And why can't I use a fucking shield? This is Blasphemy! This is Madness! This is UBISOFT!!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5912 on: January 21, 2020, 01:04:35 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuKi9jRjMgU

I can just keep pumping these stupid videos out  :lol My power is getting stronger now that I've upgraded more of my passive abilities and I'm only becoming more of a dick in this game. Not that I'm much of a dick in that video, but I already finished a couple more, including one last night where you can see me progressing to someone who likes to lasso people and then blow their brains out after a few words  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5913 on: January 21, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
You've gone black hat.   

I haven't been able to play much lately. I miss the west.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5914 on: January 21, 2020, 02:42:55 PM »
You aren't missing much really.  I've got a shit ton of gold because I'm on day like 34 of active daily challenges, but I feel like I'm already just waiting for more DLC. 

edit: here's an example of killing someone and their horse after they come out of the stable https://twitter.com/Cramx3/status/1219771480982028288
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 07:13:50 AM by cramx3 »