Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489033 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Nice
« Reply #3150 on: March 14, 2017, 10:50:32 PM »
Has anyone played Torment: Tides of Numenera yet? I was thinking about getting this one, but while the official reviews are mostly glowing, the ones posted on Steam are mixed at best.
I wouldn't trust Steam reviews tbh, lots of people just don't have a clue about what they're playing or just down rate stuff due to bugs. I'd say wait a bit until the hype dies and get it on next winter/summer sale on Steam or GOG (which is ofc just better). Main criticism I've read is mechanics are really weak and turn based, and animations are ugly.  Story's brilliant tho, it seems.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3151 on: March 16, 2017, 11:42:23 AM »
Most of my time is spent on Horizon Zero Dawn right now.  Vast and beautiful environments.  What a great game.  Very addicting.  :2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Nice
« Reply #3152 on: March 16, 2017, 12:02:17 PM »
Has anyone played Torment: Tides of Numenera yet? I was thinking about getting this one, but while the official reviews are mostly glowing, the ones posted on Steam are mixed at best.
I wouldn't trust Steam reviews tbh, lots of people just don't have a clue about what they're playing or just down rate stuff due to bugs. I'd say wait a bit until the hype dies and get it on next winter/summer sale on Steam or GOG (which is ofc just better). Main criticism I've read is mechanics are really weak and turn based, and animations are ugly.  Story's brilliant tho, it seems.

Yeah, that's my plan. I've heard the same stuff about combat, but it seems like this game isn't really about combat at all, and I'm all into the story. I'll probably wait for any kind of sale and then get it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3153 on: March 16, 2017, 01:25:26 PM »
I want Horizon sooo badly. Meh to being a PC only gamer right now. Spent all my money on this and while it's amazing, it makes me hate exclusives even more than when I was a console gamer. Promotes more ingenuity and competitiveness though so eh.

I'm still playing the shit out of Dying Light. Such a fun game. So glitchy at times but so fun. I've finally got the strat down to blend in with hordes, kill 'em all while I take down a big bad and then keep blending in. Almost maxed out my levels. Really good stuff. I haven't even played co op yet and at this point I'm not sure I want to. Something nice about being the lone runner.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3154 on: March 16, 2017, 01:54:30 PM »
Most of my time is spent on Horizon Zero Dawn right now.  Vast and beautiful environments.  What a great game.  Very addicting.  :2metal:

Previously Recorded enjoyed it too.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3155 on: March 16, 2017, 04:57:05 PM »
Well, for anyone who was waiting for Sonic Mania. It has been pushed back to Summer release  :'(

But they did release footage of a new stage, well kind of. Since its just a remake of flying battery. Which don't get me wrong, flying battery is a top 5 zone for me, but I was hoping that outside of the Green hill zone remix, Mania would be all new levels. But hey, whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyXg9kAp4Vc

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3156 on: March 16, 2017, 05:01:13 PM »
I have never been a Sonic fan.

To me it was "hold right" to win the level :lol

But you can't go fast because you hit all the traps.

So you have to go carefully - which is 100% at odds with the theme of the game.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3157 on: March 16, 2017, 07:00:56 PM »
Well, for anyone who was waiting for Sonic Mania. It has been pushed back to Summer release  :'(

But they did release footage of a new stage, well kind of. Since its just a remake of flying battery. Which don't get me wrong, flying battery is a top 5 zone for me, but I was hoping that outside of the Green hill zone remix, Mania would be all new levels. But hey, whatever.

That sucks but I'm really looking forward to playing it when it does get released.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3158 on: March 16, 2017, 09:46:13 PM »

It's going to be half and half. They've said that since the start. It's a bit of a shame, but when you put into perspective that they're essentially letting fans make a new official 2D Sonic game, and also being a sort of anniversary game, it makes sense that they're playing it a bit safe. If it does well, chances are they'll let them make a completely original game.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3159 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:41 PM »
I have never been a Sonic fan.

To me it was "hold right" to win the level :lol

But you can't go fast because you hit all the traps.

So you have to go carefully - which is 100% at odds with the theme of the game.

You don't have to like it but this is rife with nonsense if you've actually played the game for any meaningful length of time. Sonic games have a distribution of enemies and obstacles similar to just about any other typical platformer so I'm not sure where the "hold right" thing factors in unless you're talking about an assumed obligatory speed running element due to Sega's persistence in marketing it that way despite how inaccurate a depiction of the gameplay it came to be.

I agree with you on the frustration of going fast just to get #rekt. Basically, just like most platformers, the ability to go fast ended up being a reward for being good at the game via gradual mastery of it and therefore beginning to memorize certain stretches where you can haul ass and get away with it.

I wouldn't say you "have to go carefully" so much as you can do so here and there with varying degrees of risk and the point of any game is to have fun, not to let a misguided marketing team spoonfeed you arbitrary guidelines upon which to play it.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3160 on: March 18, 2017, 03:02:17 PM »
Finished The Cat Lady a little while ago. Damn, finally a good graphical adventure game that doesn't involve shitty puzzles nor item hunting. Excellent writing and visual style, music's great too. Highly recommended.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3161 on: March 18, 2017, 03:59:16 PM »

I think they said in an interview last year that half the levels are remixed oldies. Which is fine by me. They do enough different from the original levels that it works.

I have the Collector's Edition on preorder, though I do wish it came with an actual disc in a case as opposed to a download code. I don't mind the slight delay. Better to make sure it's polished than to rush it out to meet a deadline. *glares at Sonic 2006*
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3162 on: March 18, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
Anyone playing Space Engineers? Have been playing it for the last couple of days, it's so addictive once you get the hang of it.

My current project is a giant atmospheric mining ship that can tilt vertically:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3163 on: March 18, 2017, 06:14:04 PM »
Finished The Cat Lady a little while ago. Damn, finally a good graphical adventure game that doesn't involve shitty puzzles nor item hunting. Excellent writing and visual style, music's great too. Highly recommended.
yeah i thought this one was pretty good though not as good as i wanted it to be

really dig the soundtrack too

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3164 on: March 18, 2017, 07:13:44 PM »
yeah i thought this one was pretty good though not as good as i wanted it to be

really dig the soundtrack too
It was better than I had expected tbh, I'm not big on point&click adventure games, so good this is fully keyboard-controlled and doesn't have many of the genre's design flaws :P

Aye soundtrack's on point. I actually like a lot of OSTs, maybe I should make a top 25 or something one day. Wasn't there a thread like that tho?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3165 on: March 19, 2017, 01:40:30 AM »
Let's get oldschool here! My brother bought Wrestlemania 2000 and WCW Revenge today for cheap, so we hooked up the N64 and just spent hours playing WCW Revenge. I'd never played it before, and it's probably been about a decade since I even played WWF No Mercy, but I can't remember the last time I had that much fun playing a game. It lacks some of the refinement and features of later games, but the gameplay still flows very smoothly, especially when you have two people who know how to block, and you're just going back and forth reversing moves.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3166 on: March 19, 2017, 01:59:27 AM »
Let's get oldschool here! My brother bought Wrestlemania 2000 and WCW Revenge today for cheap, so we hooked up the N64 and just spent hours playing WCW Revenge. I'd never played it before, and it's probably been about a decade since I even played WWF No Mercy, but I can't remember the last time I had that much fun playing a game. It lacks some of the refinement and features of later games, but the gameplay still flows very smoothly, especially when you have two people who know how to block, and you're just going back and forth reversing moves.

Oh man, I played that so much back in the day. I never owned a N64 but I used to play it round at a friends. I never played WWF No  Mercy but WCW Revenge was the shit. I didn't even know who half the wrestlers were as I never watched WCW, only WWF, but it was so much fun to play. It was a little bit clunky and I preferred the Smackdown games once they came out on the PS1 but at the time it was perfect for me  :tup

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3167 on: March 19, 2017, 02:09:14 AM »

Oh man, I played that so much back in the day. I never owned a N64 but I used to play it round at a friends. I never played WWF No  Mercy but WCW Revenge was the shit. I didn't even know who half the wrestlers were as I never watched WCW, only WWF, but it was so much fun to play. It was a little bit clunky and I preferred the Smackdown games once they came out on the PS1 but at the time it was perfect for me  :tup

I didn't really know/like the WCW wrestlers back in the day, but since most of them went to WWF afterwards, plus having seen more of that older stuff on compilations, now I've realized all of the great wrestlers it has. No Mercy was the same basic gameplay, they just refined it. I never really liked the Smackdown games. Even now I feel they're lacking some of the smoothness in gameplay, and there are still features from those N64 games that haven't been replicated. The Gamecube games were also very good, but the roster of the era wasn't quite as loaded as it was in the late '90s.
Plus nostalgia. :biggrin:

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3168 on: March 19, 2017, 10:00:10 AM »
Nice! I played all those THQ wrestling games from the WCW ones to the WWF ones.  They got better each gen climaxing with No Mercy, but I loved the original when it was released.  I still have WCW vs. NWO and No Mercy (I used to trade in the old game for the new one so I don't have all the gens anymore).

Been playing a lot of For Honor and making youtube videos.  I got into a fun (from my perspective, I was instigating on purpose with this guy) youtube comment war with one of the guys I played against in Dominion mode.  I didn't realize if you camp our spawn point, it prevents us from capturing one of the points and that cost us the game.  For Honor Fun VI

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3169 on: March 19, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »
Started with Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition today and boy I've been having a blast  :metal

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3170 on: March 19, 2017, 09:54:20 PM »
Started with Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition today and boy I've been having a blast  :metal

I got that game last year as part of a bundle with a different game I wanted, and loved it. Great controls, excellent atmosphere, and some really challenging sections for the bonus stuff.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3171 on: March 20, 2017, 05:02:40 AM »
Currently playing Dark Souls, and I'm having a hell of a time. After all this hearing how hard this game is, I'm finding it easier than expected (though still quite challenging, yet rarely unfair - excluding that fucking Capra Demon), but I'm still having tons of fun. I've sunk a good 30 hours into it so far, and I have the feeling that I'm still way away from the end, so I'm definitely getting my money's worth.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3172 on: March 20, 2017, 06:05:55 AM »
Played a lot of GTA 3, VC, and SA over the weekend. I just can't get back into those, especially SA. I've been so spoiled by the new GTA games, the older ones are almost unplayable. I can't tell you how often I get killed in SA due to the crappy aiming system, and once you die, you have to drive all the way back to the guy you're working for and redo all the mundane mission stuff. It takes forevvvver. Now I know why I used so many cheat codes back in the day.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3173 on: March 20, 2017, 06:56:27 AM »
Played a lot of GTA 3, VC, and SA over the weekend. I just can't get back into those, especially SA. I've been so spoiled by the new GTA games, the older ones are almost unplayable. I can't tell you how often I get killed in SA due to the crappy aiming system, and once you die, you have to drive all the way back to the guy you're working for and redo all the mundane mission stuff. It takes forevvvver. Now I know why I used so many cheat codes back in the day.

Yea, while those older GTA games are great, you get spoiled by how good the new one is.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3174 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:22 AM »
Back in the day, I spent hours upon hours with the PS2 GTAs, but can't really go back to them. I definitely have been spoiled by GTA V.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3175 on: March 20, 2017, 07:32:17 AM »
GTA-V, in my opinion, is one of the greatest achievements in the history of gaming.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3176 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:33 AM »
GTA-V, in my opinion, is one of the greatest achievements in the history of gaming.

Because of Trevor  :lol

This was why I loved him, literal laugh out loud moments like this  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #3177 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:09 AM »
Anyway, I've finally started playing through Star Wars: Battlefront on the Xbone. I know I'm late to the party, I finally started playing as the season pass was on sale so I got it cheap. Played a few matches but I'm still getting used to it. It seems pretty cool and it has that Star Wars feel down pretty well. The score works perfectly and they have the right music at the right points whilst playing. It's the first game I've played in a long time where I have been listening to the in game music instead of my own music.

Does anyone else do that when they game? Turn the music down in the settings but leave the sound effects and listen to your own music instead? It depends on the game actually, if it's a super atmospheric game then I won't listen to my own music but having a blast on GTA or something, I totally would.

Anyway, I've digressed. Anyone still playing Battlefront? Any tips for a newbie and does it keep its replay ability?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:23:48 AM by twosuitsluke »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3178 on: March 20, 2017, 11:18:03 AM »
Anyway, I've finally started playing through Star Wars: Battlefront on the Xbone. I know I'm late to the party, I finally started playing as the season pass was on sale so I got it cheap. Played a few matches but I'm still getting used to it. It seems pretty cool and it has that Star Wars feel down pretty well. The score works perfectly and they have the right music at the right points whilst playing. It's the first game I've played in a long time where I have been listening to the in game music instead of my own music.

Does anyone else do that when they game? Turn the music down in the settings but leave the sound effects and listen to your own music instead? It depends on the game actually, if it's a super atmospheric game then I won't listen to my own music but having a blast on GTA or something, I totally would.

Anyway, I've digressed. Anyone still playing Battlefront? Any tips for a newbie and does it keep it's replay ability?

Bought it and played for about 2 weeks. The long load times for matches ruined it for me. Graphics and play was great but I don't have to wait 3-5 minutes per match.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3179 on: March 20, 2017, 11:33:39 AM »
Graphics are great, but the game just doesn't have much replay value.  I enjoyed it for the time I played it, but I wish I hadn't played full price.

Anyway, I typically play my own music when PC gaming.  Depends on the game though, but something like Rocket League I will just turn off in game music and play mine in the background, typically something fast and heavy to go along with my play style.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3180 on: March 20, 2017, 11:51:57 AM »
Anyway, I typically play my own music when PC gaming.  Depends on the game though, but something like Rocket League I will just turn off in game music and play mine in the background, typically something fast and heavy to go along with my play style.

Ditto. I'm quite partial myself to Kill Em All for Rocket League. Gets me pumped! :metal

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3181 on: March 20, 2017, 11:57:14 AM »

Ditto. I'm quite partial myself to Kill Em All for Rocket League. Gets me pumped! :metal

:lol Hardwired has been my goto lately for Rocket League

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3182 on: March 20, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »
I love Hardwired. It's a short sharp fast and to the point ditty.

As Het himself said " the lyrics arent meant to be shakespeare " it just sets the tone for the album and is a cool little opener.

I don't think the album starting on Atlas Rise! as track 1 would have been as powerful.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3183 on: March 20, 2017, 01:37:51 PM »

I got that game last year as part of a bundle with a different game I wanted, and loved it. Great controls, excellent atmosphere, and some really challenging sections for the bonus stuff.
Yeah it's great

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3184 on: March 22, 2017, 07:15:09 PM »
One thing I was thinking about today.

Playstation 1 and 2 I played the living shit out of those generations. PS3 I barely even touched, despite buying just a few months after launch. I was seriously sad/worried that I had lost interest in gaming or something, but now with the PS4, hell no I didn't. I have played the hell out of this generation. So many damn good games. May my gaming love never die.