Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488147 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3080 on: March 04, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
That sucks there's problems. What kind of issues are happening?

Bolsters basically covered it all.

Here are my qualms specifically:

•No way to charge joycons and play on your TV screen simultaneously. This is gun-in-the-fucking-mouth-inducingly dumb. That controller-type thing you can slide the joycons into has no charging capabilities whatsoever but Nintendo (with drool coming from their greedy mouths) will gladly sell you a virtually identical version of that controller shell that has charging capabilities for the low, low price of $30.

Otherwise, you'll have to charge them connected to the tablet portion and plug that fucker into the wall and obviously this isn't the Wii U so you have to choose between playing it on the tablet or on your TV screen, not both.

•The wifi fucking blows. This thing hasn't been able to recognize my house's wifi from my bedroom once while at the same time my Wii U, PS3, PS4, 3DS, home theater, phone, and laptop all can. I literally have to walk to the room where the router is in order to do anything involving internet access.

•The buttons are as small as 3DS buttons. If you don't regularly play portables with small buttons, the buttons may feel off-puttingly small to you. They definitely do to me.

•No D-Pad and until a third party releases a pro controller you can only get a D-pad by shelling out ~$75 after tax for a pro controller. For younger gamers whom never lived during the pre-N64 era, this probably won't matter but for older gamers this might really suck when you're playing a 2D platformer.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3081 on: March 04, 2017, 10:09:16 AM »
Pff Nintendo.

Only reason i'm not selling my gameCube is because of RE4 and Zelda.

Fuckin sucks that Twilight Princess is £50 on GC and like £15 or so on Wii.

I'm not buying a console just for one friggin game.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3082 on: March 04, 2017, 10:45:21 AM »
Seems like they rushed to release this product.  Those are some terrible problems for a new device.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3083 on: March 04, 2017, 11:08:32 AM »
It's Nintendo. They've thrown away the last decade on Howard Hughes-caliber larks and thanks to falling ass backwards into riches via all the casuals buying the original Wii they've now become dumb enough to think they can just luck out like that again or they might be realistic enough to know it won't happen again but figure they'll just force the issue for a few more generations as a gamble due to their hubris.

Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3084 on: March 04, 2017, 11:11:16 AM »
Original Wii was good but since then nah.

I haven't really REALLY loved a nintendo console since the SNES.

The N64 was ok but every single game was a 3D platformer - even when they ruined the original game like Metroid.

Gamecube had some good games but it wasn't a huge hit and the Wii was basically a novelty.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3085 on: March 04, 2017, 03:09:49 PM »
I wasn't going to rush and grab the switch. I'm still interested in getting it but I'll just have to see how it plays out over the next few months.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3086 on: March 04, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
I've not had any problems with mine, and BotW is just as great as the scores suggest and I'm only a few hours in. Joy cons aren't perfect, but better than I thought they'd be. The screen is gorgeous and the UI is simplified and snappy, letting you "switch" between a game and the eShop seamlessly.

I have a feeling that after a few months of working out the launch day bugs and DoA units, along with a solid lineup throughout the year anchored around Mario Kart 8 Deluxe end of April and Mario Odyssey Holiday this year, the switch only needs to follow through with an online service that doesn't leave the fans groaning again, as this is still an area we've seen Nintendo fall short of time and time again.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3087 on: March 04, 2017, 08:03:13 PM »
No way to charge joycons and play on your TV screen simultaneously. This is gun-in-the-fucking-mouth-inducingly dumb.
I'm not worried about that one at all. Maybe I'm just more pedantic than most people, but I always put things like controllers back on charge when I stop using them. These things are supposed to have 20 hour battery life, so I'd have to want to play for more than 20 hours straight before I needed to play and charge simultaneously. Even if they don't last 20 hours, they are going to last longer than I want to play in one sitting.

However if I ever want a second set of Joy-Con there would be an added annoyance, because if I don't want to keep swapping which set is connected to the tablet to keep them all charged, I'd be required to buy the charging grip at that point, and shit gets really expensive. I can't remember the prices in USD but here it's $100 for a pair of Joy-Con (RRP $120 but luckily there's one retailer selling them for less) and then $40(lol) for the charging grip. So $140 for a second set of Joy-Con and a convenient way to keep them charged. :mehlin

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3088 on: March 05, 2017, 05:37:52 PM »
After months of hype, I finally bought Star Wars Battlefront for the PS4. Best demo I've ever played.

Also
Off the top of my head:
    • The dock can actually scratch the Switch console, apparently very easily, either on the screen bezel at the front or even the plastic on the back of the unit.
    • On the more serious side, some people got non-functioning chargers instead.
    • A few peoples' consoles don't seem to upscale properly when docked, looks like it outputs at 480p for some reason instead of 1080p.
    • A few people can't get their dock to output on their TV at all, no explanation as to why.
    • A few people with defective screens where a horizontal red bar is permanently present.
    • I saw a photo of two Switches together, and the screen on one was fairly red (on the menu which is supposed to be white). Looks like the screen just displays red more intensely than it's supposed to.
    • Several reports of units that crash (BSOD) either randomly or after a short time playing a game.
    • A few people whose units won't recognise game cards that have been inserted.
    • There are straps you can put on the Joy-Con, but it's possible to put them on the wrong way around, and it takes significant effort to remove them.
    • Kickstand sucks, very easy to accidentally knock the Switch over.
Damn, those sound like some serious complaints, the "Not-actually-patchable" complaints. And like the Xbox 360 can tell you, they can ultimately become common errors as time goes by and consoles wear out.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3089 on: March 05, 2017, 06:11:57 PM »
After months of hype, I finally bought Star Wars Battlefront for the PS4. Best demo I've ever played.

Amen to that. I gave it away to my friend, since I finished everything it had to offer in about a half an hour. Hopefully part two actually has a story campaign and actual content

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3090 on: March 05, 2017, 09:39:19 PM »
Finished Super Metroid. Amazing game, even if a little dated in its mechanics and game design.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3091 on: March 06, 2017, 02:11:02 AM »
I went round to my mates Saturday evening, he'd got himself a Switch with Zelda and 1-2 Switch.   We thought it'd be cool to have to beers and play some of the 1-2 Switch games.......Unfortuantly it was really bad, we played a few of the more interesting sounding games - but there is absolutely nothing of any substance at all.   From what I saw of Zelda it looked good though, so that's something.  We ended up playing Borderlands on his old 360.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3092 on: March 06, 2017, 02:30:19 AM »
Finished Super Mario Galaxy, for the first time. :lol Certainly very enjoyable, but I'm not sure about its status as being one of the greatest video games of all time. I will probably move on to the sequel after getting a few more stars instead of 100%'ing it, I'm at 75 stars currently and I don't really feel like doing those annoying comets, I'd rather do what's left of the "normal" levels and then move on I think.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3093 on: March 06, 2017, 04:21:21 AM »
I've been gaming from the mid 80's - and I've never owned a Nintendo console (I did have the original Gameboy for while) is that odd?  It's not  that I dislike Nintendo or anything.  Only had one Sega system too.

Computer/Console history :

Dragon 32k (UK only computer).
Best Game : Chucky Egg.

Commodore 64k (Much better than the Spectrum ;) )
Best Game : Paradroid.

Amiga 500.
Best Game : Laser Squad.

Sega Master System.
Best Game : Sonic.

PS 1.
Best Game : Final Fantasy 7.

PS 2.
Best Game : Gladius.

Xbox.
Best Game : Knights of the old Republic.

Xbox 360. (Didn't have this for very long as it broke and I managed to trade it in for a PS3).
Best Game : Forza 2.

PS3
Best Game : GTA5

PS4.
Best Game : Uncharted 4.

Various Gaming PC's (From the PS1 period onwards)
Best Game : World of Warcraft.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3094 on: March 06, 2017, 05:11:22 AM »
Finished Super Metroid. Amazing game, even if a little dated in its mechanics and game design.

:heart Super Metroid.

I tried playing Metroid Prime on N64 i think it was..but the HUD was ludicrously cluttered and i hated the first person view.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #3095 on: March 06, 2017, 09:32:17 AM »

I tried playing Metroid Prime on N64 i think it was..but the HUD was ludicrously cluttered and i hated the first person view.

That's a shame. Metroid Prime is tied with Super for my favorite Metroid game.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3096 on: March 06, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »
Metroid Prime is one of my all-time favorite games on any platform. The first person view was amazing, and an inspired choice, and I never had a problem with the HUD.

I have been watching live streams of Breath of the Wild, because, I am lame, and it looks amazing. I won't buy a Switch just for that at this point, but down the road I can see that happening. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3097 on: March 06, 2017, 11:04:28 AM »

Wasn't it on the GameCube tho? :P

tbh I think the Wii ports are way better since you can use the Wiimote, and play in a big screen.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #3098 on: March 06, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »

tbh I think the Wii ports are way better since you can use the Wiimote, and play in a big screen.

Prime was an amazing game. It really felt like Metroid in 3D. I have to disagree with you on the Wii ports, though. I could not believe they did not make the GameCube controller available to play Prime 3. I mean, they plugged right into the Wii itself, why no make it an option? The Wiimote controls are the only reason I did not finish that trilogy. Damn shame too, cuz the first Prime is one of the best Metroids.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3099 on: March 06, 2017, 11:23:56 AM »
Dunno, I really dislike first person games with controllers, feels clunky. I'd rather play with a mouse or a Wiimote but that's just me :P

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #3100 on: March 06, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »

Prime was an amazing game. It really felt like Metroid in 3D. I have to disagree with you on the Wii ports, though. I could not believe they did not make the GameCube controller available to play Prime 3. I mean, they plugged right into the Wii itself, why no make it an option? The Wiimote controls are the only reason I did not finish that trilogy. Damn shame too, cuz the first Prime is one of the best Metroids.

I also prefer the GCN controller for the Prime games, though IMO the bigger issue with the Trilogy version is that most of the sequence breaks are patched. I cannot imagine playing through Prime without early Space Jump, let alone the many other breaks.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3101 on: March 06, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »
According to my coworkers today, it seemed they all enjoyed the Switch this weekend and didn't experience many problems other than the fact it simply just doesn't perform as well in the dock.  It's not meant to be a home console it seems.  Makes me kind of wish I had one for my 5 hour flight on Friday, but I don't typically game on the road so it would likely be a waste of money for me.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3102 on: March 06, 2017, 11:38:19 AM »
That, and you'd need to charge it mid-flight anyway since it only gets about 3 hours play time on a full charge and they've gone out of their way to make the battery non-upgradeable at this point.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3103 on: March 06, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »
From what I've read, the Switch's controllers can talk to Android devices.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3104 on: March 06, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
That, and you'd need to charge it mid-flight anyway since it only gets about 3 hours play time on a full charge and they've gone out of their way to make the battery non-upgradeable at this point.

Luckily United has power ports on these longer flights so that wouldn't be an issue, but I'm not really a mobile gamer so I'm not their target audience.  I don't typically game at home for more than 3 hours straight because I have a hard time sitting still, so I wouldn't see myself gaming that long on the go, but I get that concern because as a mobile device it should last some time.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3105 on: March 06, 2017, 12:16:12 PM »
Yep and even the Wii U had a VERY easy to upgrade battery which would last 9 hours instead of 2.5-3 plus it was only $45 or $50 which ain't bad at all considering how much inconvenience was eliminated by it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3106 on: March 06, 2017, 04:26:57 PM »
Video of all the problems with the switch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

People are already calling it the Nintendo "Glitch"        After seeing this video, I am definitely holding off on buying

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3107 on: March 06, 2017, 04:51:44 PM »
wow that is pretty disappointing. I can't believe that nintendo wouldn't even put a cloth to keep the screen from scratching on the dock.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3108 on: March 06, 2017, 04:54:34 PM »
wow that is pretty disappointing. I can't believe that nintendo wouldn't even put a cloth to keep the screen from scratching on the dock.

Yea, that dock looks like a cheap piece of shit.  Does that come with the unit or do you have to buy it?  It looks like it should cost no more than 5 bucks.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3109 on: March 06, 2017, 05:15:05 PM »
In the box, you get the doc, the tablet and the two joycons. The dock definitely looks cheap and flimsy as all hell.

I was totally ready to buy this thing, and I definitely still do want to, but I am waiting for some sort revision or tweaking. Maybe around when mario kart 8 deluxe comes out, I will check and see its still having these issues.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3110 on: March 06, 2017, 05:49:54 PM »
I wasn't thinking of picking on up until the end of the year anyway so hopefully there will be a new revision.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3111 on: March 06, 2017, 08:11:36 PM »
Dunno, I really dislike first person games with controllers, feels clunky. I'd rather play with a mouse or a Wiimote but that's just me :P
I'm the same. There are a few FPS/TPS games I like on consoles (such as Metroid Prime), but if I have a choice between playing a game on a console with a controller or playing it on PC with a mouse, I always opt for the mouse.

From what I've read, the Switch's controllers can talk to Android devices.
They can pair with Windows PCs aswell. Not sure about iOS/Mac.

I was totally ready to buy this thing, and I definitely still do want to, but I am waiting for some sort revision or tweaking. Maybe around when mario kart 8 deluxe comes out, I will check and see its still having these issues.
They were already manufacturing the second batch before release day. Some of these issues might be resolved but I'd be surprised if they all were - or worse, none of them will be. I'm thinking of waiting until Splatoon 2 at at the earliest.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3112 on: March 06, 2017, 10:33:14 PM »
Finished Spec Ops: The Line, which I has started some weeks ago but has to pause because of travelling. Holy fuck, that's a mindbending story, and a dark one. Definitely way deeper than the generic FPS title suggests.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3113 on: March 07, 2017, 04:26:17 AM »
In the box, you get the doc, the tablet and the two joycons. The dock definitely looks cheap and flimsy as all hell.

Pending third party support and what comes of the app store, I'll wait until there's a bundle offered at Costco

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3114 on: March 07, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
I'm flying out to Vegas in two weeks and want to buy a new game for my 3DSXL for the trip. I only have Pokemon Y and Super Mario 3D land.

What should I get? Are there any free roam adventure games?