Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488153 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #3045 on: February 28, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »
Anyone else suffer reload'itis?

- Your playing a game when your character uses a gun, normally a FPS.  You shoot, you automatically reload, you simply can't stop yourself - It doesn't matter if you only fire one bullet - reload'itis will often get you killed too.   I've hit a new low, I'm playing Battlefield 1 and love the support class, I have a old fashioned chain fed machine gun, it holds 300 bullets - I still reload after ever burst (and it takes ages to reload too).

Anyone else suffer from this, or any other gaming ailments that hamper you.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3046 on: February 28, 2017, 04:18:56 AM »
Depends what game. COD, yes, because your ammo doesn't deplete when you toss a half empty clip. In Hell Divers though, if you load a new magazine, you lose whatever was in the last one, so no.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3047 on: February 28, 2017, 05:05:15 AM »
Yea it depends on what game i'm playing but coming from Battlefied I used to do that alot. However since I started playing Arma 3 I slowly learned the downside of doing that because reloading constantly will result in you ending up with 6 magazines with 3 or 4 or 1 bullets left and that's a bitch if you're on a mission in the middle of nowhere with no ammo stash within miles, especially if you have to change mags in a firefight and ending up with a one bullet mag. There's servers and mods offering the ability to repack your magazines though, which could help alot.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 05:13:03 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3048 on: February 28, 2017, 05:23:28 AM »

- Your playing a game when your character uses a gun, normally a FPS.  You shoot, you automatically reload, you simply can't stop yourself - It doesn't matter if you only fire one bullet - reload'itis will often get you killed too.   I've hit a new low, I'm playing Battlefield 1 and love the support class, I have a old fashioned chain fed machine gun, it holds 300 bullets - I still reload after ever burst (and it takes ages to reload too).

When I was big in Counter-Strike I used to do this all the time and get my ass killed, it took a long time to break the habit.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3049 on: February 28, 2017, 05:37:45 AM »
I do it all the time because I mainly play FPS where ammo is very easy to come by.

Also - reloading after every kill was how I was so good at Red faction 1 Multiplayer :D

If I need ammo in a gun for which ammo is not easy to find - I save it for when i really need it - then empty it.

Usually heavy guns / boss scenario.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3050 on: February 28, 2017, 06:16:47 AM »
Work today will be tough, Horizon: Zero Dawn awaits me once I'm home.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3051 on: February 28, 2017, 09:21:37 AM »

When I was big in Counter-Strike I used to do this all the time and get my ass killed, it took a long time to break the habit.

Yea this is pretty much me, it's hard to not do it.  I try to tell myself subconsciously all of the time to not reload immediately after firing only a few rounds, but I can't resist.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3052 on: February 28, 2017, 09:32:03 AM »

Ooooo, is that out now? Mrs. P wants me to buy a PS4 just to see this game.  :lol
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3053 on: February 28, 2017, 11:25:21 AM »

TF2 (team fortress, not titanfall) has an autoreload feature that makes you automatically reload if possible whenever you stop shooting. You can also shoot while you're reloading in the game.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3054 on: March 01, 2017, 12:57:52 AM »
Nintendo is reaching new lows even by their own shitty standards when it comes to their horseshit artificial shortage nonsense. It looks like they've actually street dated all Switch carrying cases and there's no way to find out what stores are gonna have which types of cases until release day based on the four stores I visited today.

People were even preordering them at Gamestop despite no formal announcement of preorders for them ever being made so it's looking like a decent chunk of the Switch owner base will literally have to be throwing their Switches into ill-fitting tablet or laptop bags for at least the first few days they own it.

Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with Nintendo? We've already become used to them being disrespectful, unappreciative cocksuckers to their clientele since at least the Wii's release window and probably even before that since a work friend of mine recently told me that their artificial shortage antics were even present during the Gamecube's launch. But to force down our throats how "amazing" the portability of this thing is and then intentionally make it next to impossible to adequately protect it on release day when more of these things are gonna be out in the wild than at any other point in its life cycle being shown off to friends of those whom bought them is fucking approaching an adversarial disposition toward your customers.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3055 on: March 01, 2017, 02:51:24 AM »
Yeah, that's pretty lame on nintendo's part, especially considering the lukewarm response to the Wii U. I was hoping they would be making every effort possible to come back strong. The artificial shortage non-sense is terrible

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3056 on: March 01, 2017, 06:14:38 AM »
Yea it's shitty with the switch. I actually want it but I'll be waiting for a while it seems before it comes out.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3057 on: March 01, 2017, 06:19:03 AM »

Ooooo, is that out now? Mrs. P wants me to buy a PS4 just to see this game.  :lol

Yeah, released yesterday. Got my first few hours in last night, off to a great start!

I can definitely get this to some degree. With subs and assault rifles in most games I don't find it to be an issue, because reload is relatively quick and you often want a full clip on hand. But then I get to a LMG or similar and I'm definitely reloading way too often.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3058 on: March 01, 2017, 06:22:55 AM »
I'd reload a pistol after every shot.

I'm the same with Logic when recording. Cmd-s after any slight change :lol

I can't help it.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #3059 on: March 01, 2017, 07:28:33 AM »
For real, if I had the money I'd buy a PS4 just for Horizon. It looks so damn fun. Exclusives really do blow a nasty dick. Especially since this title would be absolutely perfect on PC.  :-\

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3060 on: March 01, 2017, 08:02:26 AM »
For real, if I had the money I'd buy a PS4 just for Horizon. It looks so damn fun. Exclusives really do blow a nasty dick. Especially since this title would be absolutely perfect on PC.  :-\

I'd hate to be a massive Legend of Zelda fan. Every new LOZ game is on a different sodding console.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3061 on: March 02, 2017, 02:47:16 AM »
Looks like Breath of the wild is getting quite a bit of perfect scores. Its too soon for me to get a switch, but this will be the first thing I get once I get a switch
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 04:51:02 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3062 on: March 02, 2017, 06:36:30 AM »
I noticed that as well, I think I'll grab a switch sometime, maybe when Mario comes out.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3063 on: March 03, 2017, 12:40:57 PM »
So apparently the Switch cartidges are coated in something that makes them taste very bitter and disgusting so that children don't eat them.  People are work today have been testing this and confirming how terrible they taste  :rollin

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3064 on: March 03, 2017, 01:37:06 PM »
Well, I am definitely not going to get it today, but when I do get it, I am looking to get:

1. Zelda
2. Fast RMX  (Very much like F-zero)
3. Mario kart 8 deluxe

When they come out:

4. Mario odyssey
5. Xenoblade 2

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3065 on: March 03, 2017, 04:00:06 PM »
So apparently the Switch cartidges are coated in something that makes them taste very bitter and disgusting so that children don't eat them.  People are work today have been testing this and confirming how terrible they taste  :rollin

My bro literally just texted me this Ha. He has 4 toddlers. So it's good news for him.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3066 on: March 03, 2017, 04:02:13 PM »
Well, got enough of Fallout 1, and am back home so started Super Metroid a couple hours ago. Damn this is harcore stuff.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3067 on: March 03, 2017, 04:18:53 PM »
Damn I really don't enjoy the trend of games you can't pause because ALWAYS ONLINE ::)

Playing an FPS and the doorbell rings ? tough shit. You're gonna die.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3068 on: March 03, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
Damn I really don't enjoy the trend of games you can't pause because ALWAYS ONLINE ::)

Playing an FPS and the doorbell rings ? tough shit. You're gonna die.

Well what do you expect when you are playing in real time with real people?  Everyone isnt going to want to pause the game for things like that, it makes no sense.  However, it does suck when your playing a team game and someone has to step away from the keyboard and it fucks your team up... but what can you do?

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3069 on: March 03, 2017, 06:46:21 PM »
For anyone who is a fan of F-Zero. This game Redout looks pretty damn cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLVNDQfmCo

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #3070 on: March 03, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
Anyone who is a fan of F-Zero should embrace the series of anti-gravity racing games, Wipeout
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3071 on: March 03, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
The Switch has easily been my worst initial experience with a new console I've ever had.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3072 on: March 03, 2017, 11:11:33 PM »
The Switch has easily been my worst initial experience with a new console I've ever had.

Is it a console? Apparently the games runs better out of the dock. I always thought of it as a mobile device not a console.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3073 on: March 03, 2017, 11:18:34 PM »
People can call it whatever makes them happy. Semantics won't quell my disappointment. This is right on par with my first listening of Load.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #3074 on: March 03, 2017, 11:52:00 PM »
Which problems are you experiencing? I've been doing some reading and there seems to be quite a few. :-[

I was on the fence for weeks regarding if I should pre-order or not, and as disappointed as I am not to be playing Zelda right now, I'm very glad I chose not to. I do intend to get one, hopefully this year, once I'm more confident I won't have to deal with any issues. The Joy-Con desynchronisation is the most off-putting to me so far, especially since it looks like it's quite prevalent.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3075 on: March 04, 2017, 04:24:19 AM »
That sucks there's problems. What kind of issues are happening?

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3076 on: March 04, 2017, 04:52:31 AM »
Off the top of my head:
  • Bluetooth signal from the Joy-Con controllers is patchy for a lot of people. They don't lose sync completely but the console appears to periodically not receive data consistently from them. The left Joy-Con seems to be worse for some reason. This seems to be the most prevalent issue, although a lot of people are unaffected. Some people experienced an improvement after updating but it seems anecdotal as the patch did nothing for most, and the patch notes mention nothing about updating the Joy-Con firmware or otherwise improving the signal. Those with other consoles (Wii U, PS4, etc) don't have any issue with those wireless controllers where they play, so it's a problem with the Switch/Joy-Con not the environment.
  • Either won't connect to Wifi, will only connect to Wifi when not docked, or Wifi signal will be weak/slow. The same people experience no problems when using other devices in the same area (such as other consoles).
  • The dock can actually scratch the Switch console, apparently very easily, either on the screen bezel at the front or even the plastic on the back of the unit.
  • Some people got dodgy HDMI cables with it, where the sound doesn't work. Not a big problem but still.
  • On the more serious side, some people got non-functioning chargers instead.
  • A few peoples' consoles don't seem to upscale properly when docked, looks like it outputs at 480p for some reason instead of 1080p.
  • A few people can't get their dock to output on their TV at all, no explanation as to why.
  • A few people with defective screens where a horizontal red bar is permanently present.
  • I saw a photo of two Switches together, and the screen on one was fairly red (on the menu which is supposed to be white). Looks like the screen just displays red more intensely than it's supposed to.
  • Several reports of units that crash (BSOD) either randomly or after a short time playing a game.
  • A few people whose units won't recognise game cards that have been inserted.
  • There are straps you can put on the Joy-Con, but it's possible to put them on the wrong way around, and it takes significant effort to remove them.
  • Loose Joy-Con when connected to the sides of the tablet for a couple of people.
  • Kickstand sucks, very easy to accidentally knock the Switch over.

I probably did forget something, that might do for now. :lol

It's probably worth noting that the majority of people have no problems at all, but I'm surprised at the amount of people that do. I'm not sure how this compares to other system launches as it's the first time I really cared about a console at launch; I generally buy things several years later. I didn't even buy a Wii until 2015. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3077 on: March 04, 2017, 07:14:50 AM »
Yeesh. I knew about the Joy-Con thing but not about the other issues. I was listening to Giant Beastcast and they were saying the left joy-con thing was a constant issue. Hopefully they can get it together.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3078 on: March 04, 2017, 07:48:12 AM »
Not all of that is necessarily widespread, I just thought it was part of the picture. The red line thing with the screen for example, I've only seen two complaints about that, so when you consider the initial shipment was 2 million units and that pre-orders sold out in all of the bigger markets, we're likely only talking about tiny fractions of a percent affected by that problem. But as you can see, there are quite a few different problems

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3079 on: March 04, 2017, 08:01:00 AM »
Well, in that case I think I will hold off a month or two before picking up. Even if I saw it in stock somewhere. I am in no rush and it will give some time for them to work out the kinks