Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489068 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2590 on: November 02, 2016, 04:16:26 PM »
I'm going to buy Titanfall tonight. I missed the boat on the first one but I'm not going to miss this one, especially with everyone singing praises about the single player campaign

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2591 on: November 03, 2016, 07:13:43 AM »
I didn't buy the first one either. T2 got alot of praise and it looked great. The SP is really fun, a bit slow in the beginning but it builds up nicely. It's funny how diffrent the perspective changes up in the Titan. All humans look so tiny and becomes no threat at all but once you're on foot it's diffrent.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 07:31:25 AM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2592 on: November 03, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
Yea Im just going to wait on a price drop before I pick up TF2.  I just finished the war stories on BF1 so when I get back from my business trip I will dig deeper into the multiplayer and maybe there will be a christmas sale on TF2... and also on the 1080.  Just about ready to make the purchase on the new graphics card.

Also, I still play rocket league... and boy did my brother and i get smoked yesterday.  I think we went 1-7 with a combined score of like 30-5 in those games.  I can't recall ever playing so bad and I'm ranked Challenger 2 so not a terrible player.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2593 on: November 03, 2016, 10:46:13 AM »
Yea Im just going to wait on a price drop before I pick up TF2.  I just finished the war stories on BF1 so when I get back from my business trip I will dig deeper into the multiplayer and maybe there will be a christmas sale on TF2... and also on the 1080.  Just about ready to make the purchase on the new graphics card.

Also, I still play rocket league... and boy did my brother and i get smoked yesterday.  I think we went 1-7 with a combined score of like 30-5 in those games.  I can't recall ever playing so bad and I'm ranked Challenger 2 so not a terrible player.

the fact that titanfall 2 can be abbreviated as TF2 is going to bug me for a while
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2594 on: November 04, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
Then say T2.....oh!  ::)

Finished the campaign today, really good SP. Played a couple of matches online and had a blast, it's really addictive. I just think it's very a well made multiplayer and they learned alot from their previous game on what to do better.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline adace

« Reply #2595 on: November 04, 2016, 05:41:23 PM »
Just finished the CoD Infinite Warfare campaign. It wasn't amazing but it is loads better than some of the recent CoD games. The settings are amazing and the weapons are very diverse and interesting. I also think this one has some of the strongest characters and best dialogue in the series. However, I really didn't like Kit Harrington's villain character. He was just so one-dimensional and cheesy and there didn't really seem to be any rhyme or reason to his actions. Maybe I just wasn't paying close enough attention but the writers should have done a better job communicating his motivations. Also, I won't spoil it but the ending sucked.

Despite that, it was pretty enjoyable. Hope they can do even better with the next game.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2596 on: November 07, 2016, 11:58:28 PM »
I'm starting to get the hang of Civ 6. After a series of games ranging from Dan Quayle to Ethelred the Unready, I got Charlemagne this time.

As usual it seems like the size of your civ is a huge part of your score. I ended up with this score after completing a domination victory on a huge map.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2597 on: November 08, 2016, 05:20:10 AM »
So Titanfall 2 or CoD Infinite Warfare campaign?  I'm thinking I want to play one of these campaigns in the somewhat near future and the other I can wait till a price drop.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2598 on: November 08, 2016, 05:45:44 AM »
I heard the Titanfall 2 campaign was amazing. I haven't read much about the Infinite Warfare campaign.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2599 on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:24 AM »
I heard the Titanfall 2 campaign was amazing. I haven't read much about the Infinite Warfare campaign.

Yea so far I've heard the same thing.  I find both games to be pretty similar multiplayer wise (comparing TF1 to CoD previous games).  So I think I want to base my next purchase on the single player which I've always enjoyed on CoD games.  I actually haven't played a CoD in a few years now though so I was kind of leaning towards that, but it does seem TF2 has gotten some great reviews on single player.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2600 on: November 08, 2016, 09:47:21 AM »
Haven't played the latest CoD but the Titanfall 2 campaign was really entertaining and fun. MP is equally fun but i'm pretty sure CoD MP is alot more intense and chaotic for better of worse depending on what you wan't. TF2 has alot more breathing room in matches because it's mostly 5v5 or 6v6 and I think max is 8v8. Don't get me wrong it's still can be intense but once in a Titan it's pretty much Titan vs Titan and human players becomes annoying little ants, although they're fun to squash.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2601 on: November 08, 2016, 01:48:40 PM »
YES!

https://metro2035.com/chapter1

It may not be obvious but you have to scroll down to see:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2602 on: November 08, 2016, 02:05:55 PM »
I have not gamed (PC) this year and decided to play last weekend to get my gaming muscles ready for Thursday's release of Dishonored 2.

I discovered my keyboard was faulty on just the movement keys WASD. When you held down any of those keys you would take on step in that direction and then slow down to a crawl. If you tapped a different movement key you would move normally until releasing the key. Every repress of the key would go back to crawl mode. I tried three different FPS, and all behaved the same way. Plugged in a different keyboard and movement worked normally.

Anyway, my new Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Keyboard arrived today so I'll probably spend some time getting aquainted with it while Mrs. P watches election coverage tonight.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2603 on: November 10, 2016, 02:32:23 AM »
Red Alert 2 in VR:

https://youtu.be/IGtrJaiUZaA

Really cool concept that could be applied to alot of strategy games.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2604 on: November 10, 2016, 02:39:22 AM »
I have not gamed (PC) this year and decided to play last weekend to get my gaming muscles ready for Thursday's release of Dishonored 2.

I discovered my keyboard was faulty on just the movement keys WASD. When you held down any of those keys you would take on step in that direction and then slow down to a crawl. If you tapped a different movement key you would move normally until releasing the key. Every repress of the key would go back to crawl mode. I tried three different FPS, and all behaved the same way. Plugged in a different keyboard and movement worked normally.

Anyway, my new Corsair Gaming K70 RAPIDFIRE Mechanical Keyboard arrived today so I'll probably spend some time getting aquainted with it while Mrs. P watches election coverage tonight.

I'm not into "gaming" stuff, but I approve of a mechanical keyboard. :tup Do you find the keys really light? I have brown switches in mine and I even find those too light, although I don't game on keyboard at all, just typing etc.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2605 on: November 10, 2016, 05:09:40 AM »

I'm not into "gaming" stuff, but I approve of a mechanical keyboard. :tup Do you find the keys really light? I have brown switches in mine and I even find those too light, although I don't game on keyboard at all, just typing etc.

They're a bit light for me, Blob. I'd prefer just a tad bit more click. Over all though, a very nice keyboard. With the black anodized aluminum deck, it is rock stable.

I agree on the "gaming" stuff, it's usually all fluff and cheezy graphics printed on shit. But the last three keyboards I've bought have all been "gaming" boards because that's usually where you find them. And, because I like to play in low light conditions, I must have lighted keys...preferably red.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2606 on: November 10, 2016, 05:10:45 AM »
In other news, Dishonored 2 is on the machine and unlocked! I know what I'll be doing tonight when I get home from work.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2607 on: November 10, 2016, 05:22:18 AM »

They're a bit light for me, Blob. I'd prefer just a tad bit more click. Over all though, a very nice keyboard. With the black anodized aluminum deck, it is rock stable.

I agree on the "gaming" stuff, it's usually all fluff and cheezy graphics printed on shit. But the last three keyboards I've bought have all been "gaming" boards because that's usually where you find them. And, because I like to play in low light conditions, I must have lighted keys...preferably red.

Not a fan of backlit keys myself, but a lot of non-gaming mechanicals have backlighting too (eg. Ducky Shine). The aluminum plate is very nice though. Mine has a steel plate inside for mounting the keys to, so it's rock solid, but it's still just plain plastic look on the outside. Actually, my whole keyboard is plain, exactly how I like it!
The MX speed switches in your new keyboard I believe don't have any click/bump at all, they're linear with no tactile bump when they trigger. They're aimed mostly at gamers (hence being used in a gaming keyboard), although it entirely comes down to preference what kind of key you like. The great thing about mechanicals is being able to know in advance how the keys will feel. I bought a key sampler before I got my new keyboard to decide what switches I wanted, since I didn't want to spend 200+ on a keyboard and not like it. :lol But it still took me an entire week to adjust to the different feel, so maybe it will grow on you yet.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2608 on: November 11, 2016, 06:11:32 AM »

Not a fan of backlit keys myself, but a lot of non-gaming mechanicals have backlighting too (eg. Ducky Shine). The aluminum plate is very nice though. Mine has a steel plate inside for mounting the keys to, so it's rock solid, but it's still just plain plastic look on the outside. Actually, my whole keyboard is plain, exactly how I like it!
The MX speed switches in your new keyboard I believe don't have any click/bump at all, they're linear with no tactile bump when they trigger. They're aimed mostly at gamers (hence being used in a gaming keyboard), although it entirely comes down to preference what kind of key you like. The great thing about mechanicals is being able to know in advance how the keys will feel. I bought a key sampler before I got my new keyboard to decide what switches I wanted, since I didn't want to spend 200+ on a keyboard and not like it. :lol But it still took me an entire week to adjust to the different feel, so maybe it will grow on you yet.

I thought it looked like you had a mechanical keyboard in that pic you posted last week, also looked like one from the 80s  :lol.  I have the Razor Blackwidow Chroma which has somer really cool backlights on the keyboards.  The new games have custom loadout lights for the keyboard which makes it really cool on certain games (like Overwatch). 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2609 on: November 11, 2016, 06:33:59 AM »
I thought it looked like you had a mechanical keyboard in that pic you posted last week, also looked like one from the 80s  :lol

I don't know how you could tell from the potato photo quality. :lol I'm used to the oldschool grey/beige look, so I spent an extra $80US for those keycaps. Both yours and Podaar's gaming keyboards have non-standard key sizes on the bottom row, so you'd be limited on buying full keysets, but you could still get some funky individual custom keys, as gamers often do for the WASD / arrow / Esc keys, just to make it more personalized.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2610 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:50 AM »
I spent about four hours with Dishonored 2 last night. So far, I have to say, if you liked Dishonored, you'll probably enjoy this title even more. There is one surprise that you aught to be aware of if you buy it.

D2 is way harder on the higher difficulties! In the first game you could play the highest difficulty and figure out how to be effective in pretty short order. In this game, the AI is so alert that after an hour of play it was obvious that I needed to start over on "medium" (the recommended setting) if I was going to have any fun. At the "hard" setting (there's an even worse setting) the AI will pick you out immediately when you lean around cover if they are looking straight at you. Even from pretty far away, although, distance does help eventually. In the previous game you were effectively invisible when leaning.

It may not be as much of an issue with "high chaos" players but for players like me who like to explore and thieve in a non-lethal way it's nearly impossible to get anywhere. I suppose, if I were to stick with hard-difficulty, once I get the mark of The Outsider, I could immediately buy "Dark Vision" which would be tremendously helpful in staying behind cover and still being able to see where enemies are looking. I'm guessing that for high difficulty, stealth players, that power will become essential.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2611 on: November 11, 2016, 11:39:15 AM »
I never played Dishonored but I saw the commercial a few times last night and thought it looked interesting.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2612 on: November 12, 2016, 07:21:15 AM »
Was handed a promo code for Steep by a friend. Since I rarely play games like that or sport games in general I didn't expect much but it's actually pretty fun. Only played for an hour so far so i'm not sure yet if I will by it or not but i'm not totally against it.

Edit: Cruising around freely with friends learning tricks and finding a good flow and lines is surprisingly fun. It's a very chill game almost meditative which is a nice change of pace compared to most of the games I play. Longevity is the only thing i'm hesitance about.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:44:16 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2613 on: November 12, 2016, 10:45:06 AM »
Finally caught up on the Dragon Ages games, man what a series! Maybe not quite as superb as Mass Effect, but really immersive and intense with some great humour as well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline adace

« Reply #2614 on: November 13, 2016, 05:09:19 AM »
I'm a few hours into Dishonored 2 and it's decent enough. Really similar to the first game. Hopefully it'll become more impressive later on.

Tuesday is Watch Dogs 2, one of my most anticipated games! I absolutely loved hacking in the first game and it looks like they've really ramped it up in this one. Can't wait!

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2615 on: November 13, 2016, 05:18:09 AM »
I didn't even know there was a sequel coming out. I thought the first game was deadfully repetitive and there were some really annoying things due to a lazy port to PC. I'll check out the sequel eventually but I won't be buying it at full price.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2616 on: November 13, 2016, 06:42:16 AM »
I bought the GTX 1080 yesterday. Along with a new case which is bigger and not be full of cat hair like my current case which has caused my fans to become loud and spin slowly over the last 6 years.

I'm really excited to play some new games on the beast of a card. Should arrive tomorrow thanks to amazon prime which I signed up for as well in the process.

Probably going to get Titan fall 2 soon.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2617 on: November 13, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »
Congrats on the purchase :tup. The 1080 is one hell of a card.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2618 on: November 13, 2016, 08:09:20 AM »
Congrats on the purchase :tup. The 1080 is one hell of a card.

Thanks I'm truly excited to play with it. Tomorrow night is going to be a total nerd night for me. I plan on taking apart my pc and doing a full physical clean of it and debating about doing a full OS reinstall as well. As I put it back together in the new case.  I have like 6 hard drives in this bad boy too that could use some reorganization since my 5tb drive in in my server and I think I want that in my pc now.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2619 on: November 13, 2016, 08:12:04 AM »
I had to get a new case as well. No way the 1080 was fitting in my case, and I too have 6 hard drives just all over the place.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2620 on: November 13, 2016, 08:18:24 AM »
 :tup

I think my current case is big enough, just having the cat has made it kind of disgusting (I give it a good clean every year but it's taking a hit on the effectiveness of the fans) so I kind of wanted something newer since I get annoyed with the sound the fans have made the last year.  I think the extra space though will allow me to run the internal cables much cleaner and gives me the ability to finally readjust my hard drives.  Being that I work in a data center, I just so happen to land with some SSDs and 2TB SATA drives every once in awhile. I want to rebuild my RAID arrays as well to add some redundancy to my data drives.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2621 on: November 13, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »
I didn't even know there was a sequel coming out. I thought the first game was deadfully repetitive ...

I can totally see this, depending on how you played the first game. I think one of the things that really helps the D2 is that there are a myriad of non-lethal ways to take out enemies where the first game only really had the "choke out from stealth" and sleep darts. In this game you can do a drop knock-out (similar to a drop assassination) and my favorite is not-lethal face to face combat. If you time a block your with the sword correctly (knocking them off balance), you have a moment where you can grapple them. Coupled with Emily's ability to chain the fate of multiple enemies to what happens to one makes taking down heavily guarded areas fun where it could get tedious in D1. There are some other abilities that help with this as well but I wouldn't want to spoil the discovery for anyone.  :)

Of course, if you play a foaming at the mouth killer, both games are far from repetitive, in my opinion.

...and there were some really annoying things due to a lazy port to PC.

This bit makes no sense to me at all. D1 (and D2) for that matter was the most fluid and playable first person game for PC that I've ever encountered. It routinely won high praise from players and critics alike for the smooth play and effortless power switching that made combat lighting fast, imaginative and brutal. Here's just one of the thousands of examples on youtube.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2622 on: November 13, 2016, 08:43:28 AM »
I bought the GTX 1080 yesterday.

[singing] Happy new card to you, happy new card to you, happy new card dear craaaaam, happy new card to you![/singing]

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2623 on: November 13, 2016, 07:59:51 PM »
I didn't even know there was a sequel coming out. I thought the first game was deadfully repetitive ...

I can totally see this, depending on how you played the first game. I think one of the things that really helps the D2 is that there are a myriad of non-lethal ways to take out enemies where the first game only really had the "choke out from stealth" and sleep darts. In this game you can do a drop knock-out (similar to a drop assassination) and my favorite is not-lethal face to face combat. If you time a block your with the sword correctly (knocking them off balance), you have a moment where you can grapple them. Coupled with Emily's ability to chain the fate of multiple enemies to what happens to one makes taking down heavily guarded areas fun where it could get tedious in D1. There are some other abilities that help with this as well but I wouldn't want to spoil the discovery for anyone.  :)

Of course, if you play a foaming at the mouth killer, both games are far from repetitive, in my opinion.

...and there were some really annoying things due to a lazy port to PC.

This bit makes no sense to me at all. D1 (and D2) for that matter was the most fluid and playable first person game for PC that I've ever encountered. It routinely won high praise from players and critics alike for the smooth play and effortless power switching that made combat lighting fast, imaginative and brutal. Here's just one of the thousands of examples on youtube.
Sorry, I was actually responding to the news from adace about Watch Dogs 2. I probably should have been more specific about which game I was talking about in my post. :mehlin

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #2624 on: November 14, 2016, 02:50:18 AM »
Finally caught up on the Dragon Ages games, man what a series! Maybe not quite as superb as Mass Effect, but really immersive and intense with some great humour as well.
Yeah, it's awesome! Can't wait for the next one.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.