Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488153 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #2520 on: October 18, 2016, 09:41:17 AM »
I'm about 4 weeks into my second play through of Red Dead Redemption and I'm loving it just as much as I did originally. I can't even imagine how awesome the sequel will be on the current systems.

Not to one-up you or anything but I'm currently on my 5th play-through of the game and 3rd of Undead Nightmare!
Rockstar games is teasing the sequel now on facebook and twitter, they posted this today:

However the picture they posted on facebook makes me worried they might try to pull off some GTA5 style bull shit and force me to play the campaign with multiple characters, something I hated profoundly as it completely prevents any immersion in the game for me.

Red Redemption 2 officially announced! Coming Fall 2017 with a trailer dropping this Thursday!

I remember liking Undead Nightmare but I think I was so burnt out on the game when I played it that I would have liked it more if I waited a bit to play it.

That's awesome.

It gives me a year to play through RDR :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2521 on: October 18, 2016, 09:54:30 AM »
There's a ridiculous amount of potential for a RDR online. I can't wait to be able to throw a couple friends into my big ass coach, pulled by 8 horses, and go shoot up a saloon!

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2522 on: October 18, 2016, 02:55:50 PM »
:metal :metal

Although doesn't say anything about being on PC, which would be a major disappointment. It does say:

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

The online could be amazing.  But if it's not on PC, I may not play at all.
Looking at the bottom it seems R* are going the usual route they always do any release it on consoles first and later on PC if at all. Look I appreciate them taking time with a proper version for PC like they did for GTA V but in all honesty I fucking hate to build up a hype for a game and then wait 2 years after the console releases to even be able to play the damn game. Build out for all the platforms and then announce it and release it at the same time. R* are one of the biggest game studios in the world surely they could manage that, right?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: October 18, 2016, 03:01:26 PM »

Although doesn't say anything about being on PC, which would be a major disappointment. It does say:

Developed by the creators of Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption, Red Dead Redemption 2 is an epic tale of life in America’s unforgiving heartland. The game’s vast and atmospheric world will also provide the foundation for a brand new online multiplayer experience.

Looking at the bottom it seems R* are going the usual route they always do any release it on consoles first and later on PC if at all. Look I appreciate them taking time with a proper version for PC like they did for GTA V but in all honesty I fucking hate to build up a hype for a game and then wait 2 years after the console releases to even be able to play the damn game. Build out for all the platforms and then announce it and release it at the same time. R* are one of the biggest game studios in the world surely they could manage that, right?

If that's the case then it's sad.  With GTA, they had reasons because it was released when the next generations were just beginning so they were caught in the middle.  There is no excuse this time.  They already have a solid GTAV platform to build upon and RDR is not very different of a game.  Also with GTAV I bought it first on console and then again on PC.  I don't think I'd buy the game at all this time around on console.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: October 18, 2016, 03:20:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck7ne8iX1CA

My Bro's company reviews PSVR.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2525 on: October 18, 2016, 03:54:13 PM »

If that's the case then it's sad.  With GTA, they had reasons because it was released when the next generations were just beginning so they were caught in the middle.  There is no excuse this time.  They already have a solid GTAV platform to build upon and RDR is not very different of a game.  Also with GTAV I bought it first on console and then again on PC.  I don't think I'd buy the game at all this time around on console.

Maybe they built the new RDR from the ground up from scratch. Wasn't the new gen version of GTA-V a really overhauled port of the previous generation?

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2526 on: October 19, 2016, 05:33:25 PM »
So if you have some friends try the new slipstream races in GTA V, you earn some serious cash if you win and it's pretty easy and way less time consuming than heists. We won 105k each on one of the races we did.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2527 on: October 20, 2016, 05:57:03 AM »
So if you have some friends try the new slipstream races in GTA V, you earn some serious cash if you win and it's pretty easy and way less time consuming than heists. We won 105k each on one of the races we did.

I've been meaning to give these a try. I absolutely love the heists... when all 4 people in the lobby are decent and all have mics. The biggest problem with the heists are people not having a mic and the mission failing if one of them decides to leave. It's such a pain in the ass. I tried heisting last weekend and after an hour didn't make a dime. On PS4 especially. There's absolutely no excuse to not use a microphone seeing as one is included with the console, unless of course you've lost it, but in that case, I respectfully ask you don't do heists. Rockstar has done a lot of good with these games, but I really wish they added a selectable option that only allowed mic'd players in your lobby/heists.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2528 on: October 20, 2016, 06:16:15 AM »

I've been meaning to give these a try. I absolutely love the heists... when all 4 people in the lobby are decent and all have mics. The biggest problem with the heists are people not having a mic and the mission failing if one of them decides to leave. It's such a pain in the ass. I tried heisting last weekend and after an hour didn't make a dime. On PS4 especially. There's absolutely no excuse to not use a microphone seeing as one is included with the console, unless of course you've lost it, but in that case, I respectfully ask you don't do heists. Rockstar has done a lot of good with these games, but I really wish they added a selectable option that only allowed mic'd players in your lobby/heists.
Yea I feel you, doing heists without communication is pretty much useless and I rarely play Heists solo because of that. I only do it with friends over teamspeak. Luckily I have some IRL buddys that plays GTA V on PC. Most of my friends play on other platforms or other games. Anyway the slipstream races are the same, you have to stay together in a circle as a team when you pass checkpoints which means you constantly have to communicate if someone is behind. If one person isn't within the circle when you pass you have to go back and do it again. It's really fun when your team gets in the flow.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: October 20, 2016, 07:57:09 AM »
I haven't touched my gta5 in awhile, but that sounds cool and totally agreed about the heists.  Easily the biggest complaint is when someone in your group is completely clueless and doens't even care to pay attention when you try to assist them.

In the past I've told people just sit back and do nothing during heists (the ones where you can do that) and I've completed missions 100% by myself.  It's pretty frustrating.  A better match making system is definitely needed, maybe one where you can filter the search to only be MICed up people or something.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2530 on: October 20, 2016, 08:59:22 AM »
So the Nintendo NX/Switch is basically what everyone has been saying it would be for the past half a year. Is this replacing the Wii U? Looks like they'll have the same problem of underpowered and obscure hardware that will again limit this to the same first party games. I'd still take it over the Wii / Wii U though, and I don't mind the implementation for the simpler games like MK.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2531 on: October 20, 2016, 09:02:22 AM »
So the Nintendo NX/Switch is basically what everyone has been saying it would be for the past half a year. Is this replacing the Wii U? Looks like they'll have the same problem of underpowered and obscure hardware that will again limit this to the same first party games. I'd still take it over the Wii / Wii U though.

A lot of chatter at work about it.  I'm not interested at all.

Personally I find mobile gaming devices to be a very niche crowd at this point since gaming on your phone is more convenient and pretty powerful.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: October 20, 2016, 09:03:22 AM »
Yup.

However I'm sure my girlfriend will get it, she loves all things nintendo.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2533 on: October 20, 2016, 09:45:46 AM »
So the Nintendo NX/Switch is basically what everyone has been saying it would be for the past half a year. Is this replacing the Wii U? Looks like they'll have the same problem of underpowered and obscure hardware that will again limit this to the same first party games. I'd still take it over the Wii / Wii U though, and I don't mind the implementation for the simpler games like MK.

Dudes were playing NBA 2K... that's a huge 3rd party game unavailable to the Wii U.

Nintendo got it right. No crazy gimmicks... basically building off of the PS/PS Vita model. Can't wait.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2534 on: October 20, 2016, 09:49:03 AM »
According to Reddit, there's a ridiculous of third party support already onboard with this, as well as portable Skyrim.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2535 on: October 20, 2016, 09:53:50 AM »
We'll see how long term third party support for the console pans out, but there's nothing there I care about anyway. Third party games have been lacking since probably the 64 era, so as long as it has a lot of strong first party titles, and they play well, I don't really mind. And as you said, no crazy gimmicks (relatively speaking), and even with two players you've got an analogue stick and four buttons each out of the box, which is more than the Wii got. Doesn't appear to be any motion control crap either. I've had a hell of a time trying to find any playable games for our Wii thanks to the ridiculous wiimote.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2536 on: October 20, 2016, 10:16:14 AM »
Looks pretty cool, especially for people that have a public transportation commute.

Its not for me though. If I am out of the house, I am either driving or doing something. I like playing videos at home honestly, but its pretty cool.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2537 on: October 20, 2016, 10:57:56 AM »
Looks pretty cool, especially for people that have a public transportation commute.

Its not for me though. If I am out of the house, I am either driving or doing something. I like playing videos at home honestly, but its pretty cool.

I kind of feel the same way. When I'm on a flight I'll just play games on my phone and that'll be enough.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2538 on: October 20, 2016, 11:19:49 AM »
Looks cool, but I'm saving up for Scorpio.

Also, I want Red Dead Redemption 2 right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2539 on: October 20, 2016, 11:29:13 AM »
Looks cool, but I'm saving up for Scorpio.

Also, I want Red Dead Redemption 2 right now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmA6MrX81z4

That just got me very excited

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: October 20, 2016, 12:46:13 PM »
Yea, it looks amazing.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2541 on: October 20, 2016, 01:14:45 PM »
I'm just gonna say it even though alot of people don't care, yes i'm a PC gamer and I feel salty for watching that knowing I probably won't be able to play that atleast a year after it's original release. Looks awesome which makes it even more sad.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2542 on: October 20, 2016, 01:32:28 PM »
I'm just gonna say it even though alot of people don't care, yes i'm a PC gamer and I feel salty for watching that knowing I probably won't be able to play that atleast a year after it's original release. Looks awesome which makes it even more sad.

This.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: October 20, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »
I feel like I'm misunderstanding something, you're all talking about online for RDR2 like it'll be the first time it happens, but RDR had online gaming!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2544 on: October 20, 2016, 08:20:23 PM »
Civ VI is pre-loading... YEEEES
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2545 on: October 20, 2016, 08:54:13 PM »
My buddy is super pumped about Civ VI.

He got hooked on CIV V, disappeared for like a month :lol

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2546 on: October 20, 2016, 09:35:13 PM »
Ugh I didn't get to preorder Civ VI and won't be able to buy it until tomorrow evening.

I'm jealous.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2547 on: October 21, 2016, 07:09:21 AM »
After finally watching the video for it and reading a bunch of stuff, I have no real interest in the Switch. My need for portable gaming is virtually non-existent. I understand that Nintendo wants to separate themselves from Sony and Microsoft, but they already do that by having Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Smash, and Pokemon. All they need to do is build an overly powerful standalone console that can play both Super Smash Brothers and a non-dumbed down version of Grand Theft Auto. I don't get it.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 07:20:06 AM by Chino »

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2548 on: October 21, 2016, 07:16:10 AM »
After finally watching the video for it and reading a bunch of stuff, I have no real interest in the switch. My need for portable gaming is virtually non-existent. I understand that Nintendo want to separate themselves from Sony and Microsoft, but they already do that by having Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Smash, and Pokemon. All they need to do is build an overly powerful standalone console that can play both Super Smash Brothers and a non-dumbed down version of Grand Theft Auto. I don't get it.

Yeah I agree. The concept is cool but I have no need for this. They keep trying for the next WII and it's not going to happen. I think they should go Sega's way and just develop game. Can you imagine how much money they'd make selling Mario/Zelda/etc. on Xbox and Playstation? I would buy every mario and zelda game in a heart beat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2549 on: October 21, 2016, 08:01:49 AM »
After finally watching the video for it and reading a bunch of stuff, I have no real interest in the switch. My need for portable gaming is virtually non-existent. I understand that Nintendo want to separate themselves from Sony and Microsoft, but they already do that by having Metroid, Zelda, Mario, Smash, and Pokemon. All they need to do is build an overly powerful standalone console that can play both Super Smash Brothers and a non-dumbed down version of Grand Theft Auto. I don't get it.

Yeah I agree. The concept is cool but I have no need for this. They keep trying for the next WII and it's not going to happen. I think they should go Sega's way and just develop game. Can you imagine how much money they'd make selling Mario/Zelda/etc. on Xbox and Playstation? I would buy every mario and zelda game in a heart beat.

It's not like Sega have done so great.
They'd sell more games, but they'd lose out all of the hardware sales, plus spend more money in development for cross platform support and licensing and publishing etc. Plus, they don't release their main games that often, often once per generation. As it is they've been releasing a Zelda game once every five years or so. If they relied purely on software for money, you'd probably find either quality control would slip to get games out, or they'd start pushing out more shovelware and water down their IPs to make up the difference elsewhere. Basically, they'll end up like Sega, with characters and games that nobody cares about anymore. They'd make their money, but the appeal would wear off over time. I know Sega has never compared to Nintendo for first party games, but it would still affect them. Plus they could lose out on the people who don't want to buy an expensive new console to play a few casual family games.

I get Nintendo's approach; It doesn't make much sense for Nintendo to compete with Sony/Microsoft on hardware, because it prices them beyond their key demographic, and they won't win in an oversaturated market of 3 such similar consoles. Would people buy a Nintendo instead of those other consoles if it had the same third party games? Are Nintendo's exclusives going to be more appealing to the GTA demographic than the PS4/XBONE exclusives? Doubtful. And if you're going to buy more than one console, it makes no difference. Plus it's been proven basically every generation that the most powerful console does not win.

While I'm not a fan of the extra gimmicky direction of the Wii onwards, the Wii was a massive success for them, which wouldn't have happened if they'd released a console similar to the PS3/360. The Wii U made the mistake of not differentiating itself enough from the Wii aside from adding more expensive hardware with little to no gain from the player's perspective to justify buying another console, plus confusing buyers in the process. This time they're trying to make those differences more obvious, and do something different again. Like the Wii, it will be a risk, but if it pays off, it will probably pay off bigger than making a PS4/XBONE style console would. If it fails, it may very well send them the way of Sega this time.

I remember the reception to the Wii being much more negative at the time it was announced, and it went on to do extremely well. Generally people are a lot more positive on this, so I expect it will be much more successful than the Wii U. Also, the hardware is apparently easier for developers to work with than the Wii U architecture, and I would think at least as powerful as the Wii U, although not as powerful as the XBONE/PS4.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2550 on: October 21, 2016, 08:21:36 AM »
I agree Blob.

I think Nintendo has found a niche gaming market with their lower powered systems and with mobile gaming that this kind of hits the spot for that niche market.  It's not for me, but I don't blame Nintendo for going this route. 

Offline adace

« Reply #2551 on: October 21, 2016, 02:34:28 PM »
Not quite sure what to think of the Switch. It's certainly an innovative concept but I'm not 100% sold on it. Using cartridges in this day and age strikes me as really bizarre. My main concern is whether the new Zelda game will play better on it than on the Wii U. If so I'll probably get it.

On another note, Battlefield 1 is awesome. It's great to have such a well-crafted game about a war that, up to now, has been pretty much completely ignored by the video game industry.

And yeah, like everyone else I'm super excited for RDR 2. That game and the new Mass Effect are at the very top of my list of most anticipated games of 2017.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2552 on: October 21, 2016, 02:36:30 PM »
On another note, Battlefield 1 is awesome. It's great to have such a well-crafted game about a war that, up to now, has been pretty much completely ignored by the video game industry.

I'm really enjoying the single player War Stories.  So well done and really fun so far, also this is what was severely lacking from Star Wars Battlefront.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2553 on: October 21, 2016, 04:40:32 PM »
What are some of your all time favourite FPS ?

Here are some of mine :

1. Red faction
2. Timesplitters 2
3. & 4. Borderlands 1,2
5. Goldeneye

and I guess Destiny when it first came out and before the whole Blades of Crota thing. Got tired of it after that.

Offline adace

« Reply #2554 on: October 21, 2016, 06:49:14 PM »
Just finished the Battlefield 1 campaign. I really enjoyed it but I think it was a bit too short. I would have liked to have seen an Eastern Front or French story. Hopefully they have a campaign DLC in the works.