Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 488149 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1715 on: November 22, 2015, 08:47:47 PM »
I don't recall the first game having that much "freedom" - it actually felt pretty repetitive to me, constrained to do the same kind of things over and over again. What kind of freedom is that?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1716 on: November 22, 2015, 08:51:58 PM »
Liking it, fine, but thinking it's the best AC? That was the first time i've heard such an opinion.
It has its fans and does things different than the II series, expect some people to prefer it. One example is stealth taking forts, some of the best, open ended, gameplay in the series. Homestead is another, best 'base' in the series. Optional objectives were actually challenging, I liked that. Collectibles were some off the best in the series at just not being dime a dozen and run to point A to get. Preferred Connor to Ezio, who I thought was generic hero until Revelations, where he is a very cool old guy Assassin.

As someone that was not happy with II, I've probably had a lot more discussions with others that share opinions with me. It's not like I'm blind to the general opinions, I kind of feel it's a case of making games for mass appeal vs finding more niche fans.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1717 on: November 22, 2015, 09:01:18 PM »
I've even heard people say III was total crap - haven't played it yet, but as I've heard such mixed opinions, decided not to play it. And I don't think II was aimed for the masses. It didn't even have multiplayer when released.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1718 on: November 22, 2015, 09:10:19 PM »
It has its fans and does things different than the II series, expect some people to prefer it.

It's still viewed as the worst AC of the main games, that's why i don't expect people to prefer it.

Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1719 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:58 PM »
...and also gets a lot of the, "why was this so hated?" and "in hindsight..." comments online. If you don't think ACII was tweaked for the masses just look at how the series is pushed as yearly and massively marketed. The series is supposed to be a wide audience product.

Another thing to consider, is that they have tailored to the II fans in future releases. Fans that have liked other aspects of the series (especially the old I was superior group) have probably been aa lot more likely to abandon the series. I've considered abandoning the series, after III they used IV to bring back much of what I disliked in II and once again lost what I liked in III. They swing towards keeping their biggest base happy, which only helps to chase away other opinions. Unity was meant to reach back to some of the I fans (and I am really curious to try it despite the execution), but again they already seem to have abandoned going that route.

It's not like I hate the other games, I'm a big fan of the series, I just clearly like things they've tried that others don't like as much.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1720 on: November 22, 2015, 09:37:49 PM »
Well, it's only natural they want to do the same things they did which made the Ezio trilogy so acclaimed and successful. They're the sole reason why this series is beloved.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1721 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »
Did I say otherwise? I only am saying it didn't work best for me (and worse for others). They should be trying to make money, and I have been happy to support the franchise.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1722 on: November 22, 2015, 09:57:53 PM »
Now, surprise me, say a thing we both love for a change  :-*

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1723 on: November 22, 2015, 10:11:08 PM »
Hitman? Can't decide a favorite in that series, they all seem to miss on something another entry got right.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1724 on: November 22, 2015, 10:15:20 PM »
Dream Theater  :D
Well, i used to love them.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1725 on: November 22, 2015, 10:17:28 PM »
Hey, we agree.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1726 on: November 22, 2015, 10:19:20 PM »
Hm, some of my top ten games are Metroid Prime, Castlevania SOTN, Resident Evil 4, MGS 2 and 3, Half Life 2, Sonic 3 and Knuckles...

Do you happen to share that love for some of these?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1727 on: November 22, 2015, 10:27:12 PM »
Metroid, Castlevania, and MGS are all favorite series. ...guessing we disagree on games, though! :lol

Favorites:

Metroid: Original, Fusion, and Echoes

Castlevania: II, Rondo of Blood, Circle of the Moon, Aria of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesiaa (so many games in the series! :lol )

Metal Gear: MGII, MGS2, MGSPO

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1728 on: November 22, 2015, 10:33:45 PM »
I like the Sorrow Castlevanias too but not over SotN.

Echoes i still need to play, should like it.

I prefer MGS3 over 2 but they both kick ass, really.

Hey, Super Metroid and SotN are essential for Metroidvanias lovers  :-\

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1729 on: November 22, 2015, 10:34:28 PM »
Loved the hell out of Assassin's Creed Syndicate. Would love for the next game to pre-date Altair's life though. The game's always include lore about Assassin moments in history from 500 BCE-1100 A.D. and there have got to be a bunch of stories they could pull from that. They keep jumping ever so slightly closer to modern times, but I'd love to take a step back from the previous game like AC4 did from AC3.

Also, the naming conventions make me feel sorry for new fans. Obviously the internet can help them, but it must be confusing when the games are clearly supposed to be played in a certain order and half the titles are numbered while the other half are just subtitled.  :lol

Massive fan of AC here. Assassin's Creed has been for me as an older teen/young adult what Sonic The Hedgehog/Mario Bros. was for me as a kid.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1730 on: November 22, 2015, 10:39:12 PM »
I like the Sorrow Castlevanias too but not over SotN.

Echoes i still need to play, should like it.

I prefer MGS3 over 2 but they both kick ass, really.

Hey, Super Metroid and SotN are essential for Metroidvanias lovers  :-\
Aye, and both were the first game I played on their respective systems. I just like some other entries better. Played Order of Ecclessia? That to me was the great entry that mixed the new and old of the series.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1731 on: November 22, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »
Order was good, surely. Last Castlevania i've played was Lords of Shadow, if that can be considered a Castlevania game.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1732 on: November 22, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
I finally got around to Mirror of Fate and LoS2 recently. All three were pretty nice, but none seemed to capture the old series. Lots of people seemed to think LoS revived the series due to sales, but given how both of its successors sunk miserably I think it actually kind of killed the series by ejecting too many of their die hard base.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #1733 on: November 23, 2015, 02:28:46 AM »
Also, the naming conventions make me feel sorry for new fans. Obviously the internet can help them, but it must be confusing when the games are clearly supposed to be played in a certain order and half the titles are numbered while the other half are just subtitled.  :lol

Massive fan of AC here. Assassin's Creed has been for me as an older teen/young adult what Sonic The Hedgehog/Mario Bros. was for me as a kid.
Don't even get me started on the naming convention of the series.  :lol When they released Brotherhood and Revelations, I could not for the life of me figure out why they dropped the number from the titles - if they were called Assassin's Creed 2: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations, it would have been much easier to figure out what whey were.

And if Black Flag got a number, why the hell didn't Syndicate and Unity get a number??  >:(

And yeah, I know it's a silly thing to get worked up about. :lol
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1734 on: November 23, 2015, 12:04:27 PM »

Don't even get me started on the naming convention of the series.  :lol When they released Brotherhood and Revelations, I could not for the life of me figure out why they dropped the number from the titles - if they were called Assassin's Creed 2: Brotherhood and Assassin's Creed 2: Revelations, it would have been much easier to figure out what whey were.

And if Black Flag got a number, why the hell didn't Syndicate and Unity get a number??  >:(

And yeah, I know it's a silly thing to get worked up about. :lol

I think they should have just done what they did with BF; a roman numeral and a subtitle. Best of both worlds.

Assassin's Creeed 2: Renaissance
AC3: Brotherhood
AC4: Revelations
AC5: Revolution
AC6: Black Flag

and etc. Would have flowed waaaay nicer. Wouldn't have mattered as much without the modern day story, but that's there linking them, so there's clearly an intended order which just makes the names weird. It is a weird thing to get hung up on, but it bugs me too with the way I organize things.  :lol
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline adace

« Reply #1735 on: November 23, 2015, 02:18:43 PM »
Really hoping the next AC game takes place in Moscow and/or St. Petersburg during the Russian Revolution.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1736 on: November 24, 2015, 09:11:41 AM »
So I picked up an N64 a few months back to replace the one that ended up in a bonfire a few summers ago. When I was moving, I tore my parents' house apart looking for my game collection and came up empty :(

I've been trying to buy my favorite old games and it crushes me to see how much they cost now. Just to replace Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Mario Golf, Perfect Dark, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium, Donkey Kong, Super Smash Bros, Golden Eye, and THPS, I'm looking at at least $350.

Then I realized that there's people like this all over Craigslist.

Are people literally just hoarding as many games as they can so they can pretty much set the market?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 09:17:40 AM by Chino »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1737 on: November 24, 2015, 09:17:17 AM »
Wow  :lol

N64 really is my favorite of the old consoles.  Mine stil works and I have a bunch of games, but I recall last time I shopped the prices were pretty high for the good and sought after games.  I guess stock piling them might not be a bad investment as I am clearly not the only one who loves the N64.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1738 on: November 24, 2015, 09:19:49 AM »
Seriously. If someone was willing to part with a $10K, you could purchase 250 of the most loved classics. I wonder what they'll be worth in another 15 years time.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: November 24, 2015, 09:25:02 AM »
I was on a NJ transit train a couple weeks ago and a guy was sitting across from me with his Macbook and he had an N64 USB controller and was playing Mario 64 on an emulator.  I'd imagine that set up would take away from some of the value of the actual N64 games, but there is still a small market for the games who want the real thing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1740 on: November 24, 2015, 09:29:16 AM »
I was on a NJ transit train a couple weeks ago and a guy was sitting across from me with his Macbook and he had an N64 USB controller and was playing Mario 64 on an emulator.  I'd imagine that set up would take away from some of the value of the actual N64 games, but there is still a small market for the games who want the real thing.

I don't think it's affected the market too much, or at least it's counteracted by the supply/demand factor. While a PC can run an N64 much better than the N64 could, nostalgia is a big factor, plus the convenience and fun of having a real console with a bunch of controllers, especially when you want to play some 4 player Mario Kart or Goldeneye. It's doable on a PC, but for the effort you're better off just playing the real thing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1741 on: November 24, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »

I don't think it's affected the market too much, or at least it's counteracted by the supply/demand factor. While a PC can run an N64 much better than the N64 could, nostalgia is a big factor, plus the convenience and fun of having a real console with a bunch of controllers, especially when you want to play some 4 player Mario Kart or Goldeneye. It's doable on a PC, but for the effort you're better off just playing the real thing.

This. I've been in my house for a little over a year now and we're finally tackling the last room, the finished attic. We're kind of making it our couple's cave. I've got my RC work bench and tools up there, and my girlfriend has all her art stuff set up as well. Victoria built a pallet couch and I got a television in there over the weekend. We're slowing decking it out with all of our nerd stuff (mainly Avatar and Firefly stuff). I want the N64 up there to just kind of go with the laid back/fun theme. I looked into emulation. Besides there being a slight delay via my laptops hdmi port, it's just not the same. Call me crazy, but there's something awesome about switching on an N64. Even though it's no different than opening a ROM on a computer, the act of moving that switch is incredibly satisfying.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1742 on: November 24, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »
Yea, I do like playing on the console better than a ROM too, but it is possibly to build your own "old school console" these days.  My brother built one with his Rhasberry Pi, it only plays SNES games as of now though and has a SNES USB controller.  I also find that the controllers aren't the same either, they just don't feel right like an authentic N64 controller does.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1743 on: November 24, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
Yea, I do like playing on the console better than a ROM too, but it is possibly to build your own "old school console" these days.  My brother built one with his Rhasberry Pi, it only plays SNES games as of now though and has a SNES USB controller.  I also find that the controllers aren't the same either, they just don't feel right like an authentic N64 controller does.

I picked up two "new" N64 controllers at my local retro gaming store. The guy said they aren't originals, but were made to spec and used many of the same components as the originals. I remember having a lot of shitty third party controllers when I was a kid. While I haven't played with these new ones yet, they feel absolutely perfect.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: November 24, 2015, 12:42:05 PM »

I picked up two "new" N64 controllers at my local retro gaming store. The guy said they aren't originals, but were made to spec and used many of the same components as the originals. I remember having a lot of shitty third party controllers when I was a kid. While I haven't played with these new ones yet, they feel absolutely perfect.

ahh, please update when you do use them then, I currently have four original controllers and one of them is damaged but works fine so at some point I know I will need to replace that.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1745 on: November 24, 2015, 12:56:06 PM »

ahh, please update when you do use them then, I currently have four original controllers and one of them is damaged but works fine so at some point I know I will need to replace that.

Will do.

I had the option to buy older controllers used, but all of their joysticks were trashed (thanks Mario Party!). I just ordered an RCA to Coaxial adapter and Mario 64. I should be able to give it a go this weekend.

Just looked up the controllers I bought on Amazon. Not feeling too optimistic now  :rollin
https://www.amazon.com/N64-Cirka-Controller-Red-Nintendo-64/dp/B005DI7N7W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1746 on: November 24, 2015, 01:13:38 PM »

Will do.

I had the option to buy older controllers used, but all of their joysticks were trashed (thanks Mario Party!). I just ordered an RCA to Coaxial adapter and Mario 64. I should be able to give it a go this weekend.

Just looked up the controllers I bought on Amazon. Not feeling too optimistic now  :rollin
https://www.amazon.com/N64-Cirka-Controller-Red-Nintendo-64/dp/B005DI7N7W/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Yea, thats the problem, most original N64 controllers have broken joysticks... and that is definitely one I looked at before my friend gave me his controllers and mario kart (what a good friend!).  All the reviews are just so bad for these.  They are cheap so I guess that's the good thing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1747 on: November 24, 2015, 01:35:06 PM »

Will do.

Yea, thats the problem, most original N64 controllers have broken joysticks... and that is definitely one I looked at before my friend gave me his controllers and mario kart (what a good friend!).  All the reviews are just so bad for these.  They are cheap so I guess that's the good thing.

I wonder if you could buy original controllers, open them up, and transfer only the joysticks from these new ones over? If they were made to spec, they should fit. I might have to try that.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: November 24, 2015, 01:41:27 PM »
I think that is totally possible although I do not know how

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1749 on: November 24, 2015, 01:50:56 PM »
I think that is totally possible although I do not know how

I'll give it a try. That'd be a great write up for all of the internet. Just last night I transferred a few parts from one busted PS4 controller to another busted PS4 controller and now have a functioning controller. The DS4s have phillips head screws whichmakes working on them super easy. Knowing Nintendo, their controllers probably have those screws that require a triangular drive. I'd have to buy one special.