Author Topic: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One  (Read 489086 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Video Game Thread v. Wii4One
« Reply #1505 on: September 26, 2015, 10:32:16 PM »
I think it's great that the game can work on many levels, and levels like that are impressive solely as an exercise in pushing difficulty to the limits, but as a playable level for an audience beyond the level creator, it's just a dick.

I like the levels that are difficult, but come down to the skill of the player, rather than hours of trial and error and memorization of layout. I also dig the clever levels that come up with an interesting gimmick and make a fun level out of it, such as levels I've seen where you can't touch the mushrooms because then you can't fit through the gaps. It's a twist that is fun to play.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 11:41:11 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1506 on: September 26, 2015, 11:36:04 PM »
Yep, you nailed it. This game's greatest asset is its versatility. I think it'll end up spawning an army of similar level editor games if it doesn't end up becoming a one hit wonder. Considering the run FPSs have had, can you imagine how much their fans would be foaming at the mouth to make maps of their own? This concept can be applied to virtually any genre.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1507 on: September 26, 2015, 11:48:43 PM »
The beauty of Mario is that the levels are very simple in terms of how few elements there are, it's the seamless way it all works together that gives it so many endless possibilities. It's accessible for anyone at any level.
Once you get to other genres like FPS's, it wouldn't work quite as well to have canned objects to place around, and anything more than that is basically what the modding community already does, which requires more than a level editor on a console can provide. It's doable, but it's a lot more complex.

It can be applied to a lot of other genres, but I think Mario is unique in how simple it is to put a level together. I do hope the popularity of this game so far encourages game developers to try though. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1508 on: September 27, 2015, 03:13:55 AM »
Agreed Blob. There definitely are already FPS games that have map editors (for multiplayer), but from what I remember, what you could actually do with them was pretty limited because what goes into the actual maps is hugely detailed and complex.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1509 on: September 27, 2015, 07:59:10 AM »
Totally random but that comment reminded me of the AWESOMELY awesomeness of Timesplitters (at least the first two) and their (at the time) fantastic map editor. Me and my friends would buy some energy drinks, stock up on doritos and make the most amazing, incredibly fun and detailed maps there were. Such great FPS games back in the day. Ahhh... *nostalgia cry*

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1510 on: September 27, 2015, 05:59:57 PM »
So...I just upgraded my router to Wireless N....and...the one motherfucking system I have, a Nintendo 3DS, which I use very, very often on the internet...is not compatible. I am about to blow a gasket. I've tried every single configuration there is, I've tried broadcasting on multiple channels, different frequencies...nothing. I'm using TP-Link WR1043ND. Googling abound brought up nothing but hopelessness, a migraine and confirmation that I'm pretty much fucked. For real, the ONLY device that isn't compatible. I mean, it's awesome having more range, security (though for the sake of my family I'm still using WEP, and there's nothing but senior citizens in my neighborhood anyway) and speed, but holy fuck Nintendo, get with the program. It's pretty ridiculous that it isn't supported in any way, at all...nothing. Nil.

Supremely frustrated right now... I suppose I'll have to go through the trouble of hooking up my old router and downgrading, resetting, unhooking, setting it back up...all for this one god damn handheld. I honestly cannot wrap my head around it. A few hours of research later shows that most of Japan hasn't switched over to N yet, and that's understandable, it's mostly for a specific type of user, but the fact that it's just not supported in any way is unacceptable to me. Especially considering the massive popularity of the handheld in the US coupling with the fact that a vast majority of companies and users alike have switched to it. Thing is, even if you haven't, almost every device known to man these days at least is backwards compatible with an N-broadcasting router that can broadcast 802.11b/g...NOPE! Not the 3DS. This (and the New3DS as well) forces you back to an unarguable obsolete router. Forces you. My router even specifies that it's backwards compatible with devices that specifically use b/g. Still, the 3DS spits in my technologically upgraded face.

I'm no networking wizard, far from it; I had to do a lot of research just to find out what a lot of this shit meant but once you read up on it, it's really not that difficult. I can't imagine how a firmware update couldn't fix this problem but therein lies my issue: that's where my knowledge ends and it wouldn't matter anyway because it's not like I could issue it...It's all on Nintendo. I love that company but holy fucking shit this has really ruined my day. I am constantly online with my 3DS whether it's trading Pokemon across the globe, downloading new games online (I absolutely love having all the games on my 50GB SD card and no longer care about the trivialities of having a tangible object to fawn over), etc. x infinity. Now just to get online I've got to jump through flaming hoops. It's preposterous.

Okay, I'm done. There's really nothing else to do unless I missed something or some magical wizard on the forums has encountered a similar problem and knows a fix, in which case I will give free blowjobs for the rest of your life (my blowjobs rate a 9.55 by most Johns). Fucking A. Needed to vent so I don't break my new router and 3DS. One more fuck: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1512 on: September 28, 2015, 06:47:23 AM »
My body is ready for VR.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1513 on: September 29, 2015, 06:00:08 AM »
So...I just upgraded my router to Wireless N....and...the one motherfucking system I have, a Nintendo 3DS, which I use very, very often on the internet...is not compatible. I am about to blow a gasket. I've tried every single configuration there is, I've tried broadcasting on multiple channels, different frequencies...nothing. I'm using TP-Link WR1043ND. Googling abound brought up nothing but hopelessness, a migraine and confirmation that I'm pretty much fucked. For real, the ONLY device that isn't compatible. I mean, it's awesome having more range, security (though for the sake of my family I'm still using WEP, and there's nothing but senior citizens in my neighborhood anyway) and speed, but holy fuck Nintendo, get with the program. It's pretty ridiculous that it isn't supported in any way, at all...nothing. Nil.

Supremely frustrated right now... I suppose I'll have to go through the trouble of hooking up my old router and downgrading, resetting, unhooking, setting it back up...all for this one god damn handheld. I honestly cannot wrap my head around it. A few hours of research later shows that most of Japan hasn't switched over to N yet, and that's understandable, it's mostly for a specific type of user, but the fact that it's just not supported in any way is unacceptable to me. Especially considering the massive popularity of the handheld in the US coupling with the fact that a vast majority of companies and users alike have switched to it. Thing is, even if you haven't, almost every device known to man these days at least is backwards compatible with an N-broadcasting router that can broadcast 802.11b/g...NOPE! Not the 3DS. This (and the New3DS as well) forces you back to an unarguable obsolete router. Forces you. My router even specifies that it's backwards compatible with devices that specifically use b/g. Still, the 3DS spits in my technologically upgraded face.

I'm no networking wizard, far from it; I had to do a lot of research just to find out what a lot of this shit meant but once you read up on it, it's really not that difficult. I can't imagine how a firmware update couldn't fix this problem but therein lies my issue: that's where my knowledge ends and it wouldn't matter anyway because it's not like I could issue it...It's all on Nintendo. I love that company but holy fucking shit this has really ruined my day. I am constantly online with my 3DS whether it's trading Pokemon across the globe, downloading new games online (I absolutely love having all the games on my 50GB SD card and no longer care about the trivialities of having a tangible object to fawn over), etc. x infinity. Now just to get online I've got to jump through flaming hoops. It's preposterous.

Okay, I'm done. There's really nothing else to do unless I missed something or some magical wizard on the forums has encountered a similar problem and knows a fix, in which case I will give free blowjobs for the rest of your life (my blowjobs rate a 9.55 by most Johns). Fucking A. Needed to vent so I don't break my new router and 3DS. One more fuck: FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Wow that is hard to believe that the 3DS cannot run on a new router just because it has N capabilities.  All N routers should also be able to broadcast in A/B/G as well (at least I thought) so I would never have expected this outcome.  I am thinking you may be able to use both routers if they have ethernet ports to physically connect them.  You may need to do some configuration to have them run on the same network (your LAN), but broadcast two different WLANs across two different frequencies and channels.  I've never done this nor researched this, but I would imagine it's possible if you have the correct hardware and configured it properly.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1514 on: September 29, 2015, 01:43:23 PM »
I think I might be able to, and thanks for the tip! I was pretty blown away as well. Nintendo hasn't ever been the head of the curve when it comes to technology, but this was pretty horrible to find out. That said, I'm in a better mood after deciding to upgrade to a New3DS so I could finally play Xenoblade Chronicles and wow...what a friggin' awesome game! I'm sad that I missed it on the console experience, but the New3DS' 3D is massively improved; and one upgrade I didn't expect to love so much: the speakers. The 3DSXL had horrible sound and I'd always have to use headphones, which I don't like all that much these days since I've got kids running around the house at all hours (or sleeping behbehs to listen for), and holy hell, the surround stereo on this 'lil device is really, really great; another huge upgrade. I didn't think I'd like the lil 'C-nub' they threw in, but it too is much more user-friendly than I'd expected and it's really comfy and easy to use.

Overall a nice upgrade but here's another lil tidbit that just shows that Ninty, while a great gaming company, is by far and away the most technologically ignorant of any gaming company out there... So, with the 3DSXL (and other 3DS family systems, I believe), they used an SD-card slot to store extra data. I really liked this because it's easy to use, the slot on the side is easily accessible, and I just so happen to have loads of 32 gig cards lying around (that is the highest capacity they'll take, despite me having a few 64gig cards). So...with the next upgrade, the New3DSXL...and keep in mind it's not like this is a few generations new, it's just one more upgrade, they change the game and use a MicroSD/HC. Here's the awesome part...the card is installed INSIDE the system. You have to literally take off the back panel of the system and open it up to change out the measly little 4gig card that they provide you with. Now, being a modder all my life, I didn't mind this, but I'm also supremely OCD about keeping my tech stuff as clean as they came out of the factory, so when possible, I like not to mess with them at all.

I was just stunned that they made it that choice. Surely such a tiny card could fit in a more easily accessible slot on the outside. I get it, it's a tough card to find a spot for that isn't open to being messed with, falling out, etc. But to put it inside the system and have users to something that is usually meant for either replacing the battery (which almost never happens these days barring unusual circumstances or someone that uses the system waaaay more often than they should and/or charging it oddly) or straight up modding is just asking for disasters. It's not the worst thing in the world, the screws aren't the usual microscopic kind, they at least use a #0 screwdriver and while it was extremely annoying to take the panel off without breaking it, it's still better than most Ninty systems when it comes to taking it apart... But that's something most users don't ever experience or even want to do, and a 4gig card is nil if you're like me and download almost all your titles. It was just weird, and another hoop of fire to jump through and another indication that Ninty really needs to get their shit together when it comes to recent technology and decisions about the way they store, share, link and use data.

*Sigh* Sorry for the long posts!! That one was more of a '...WUT!?' than me actually being frustrated. But no doubt, it's a fuckin' weird set-up.  :lol I am loving me some Xenoblade though, really amazing JRPG in an age where they're dying out.

RIP DTP.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1515 on: September 29, 2015, 07:41:40 PM »
I was really hoping for Tony Hawk 5 to be better than it is. What was released to market is heartbreaking
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 04:24:24 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1516 on: September 30, 2015, 02:25:07 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1517 on: September 30, 2015, 02:41:10 AM »
The car at 3:27... :rollin :rollin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1518 on: September 30, 2015, 04:41:45 AM »
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :lol :lol

That got me good. Holy fuck. I can't believe he didn't comment on that car and how it got shot up. That is nuts.

P.S. That guy is Peter Griffin's brother or something.

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1519 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:30 AM »

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1520 on: September 30, 2015, 11:59:29 AM »
Grab That Auto 5

Oh look, my second favorite youtuber. Surprised anyone else is subscribed to him around here  :lol
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1521 on: September 30, 2015, 01:09:06 PM »
DAT GIF DOE! What in the hell!?!?  :rollin :rollin

On another note...that youtube guy is sometimes annoying, but I was crying from laughing so hard at the (cool name too for the KevMo fans) Kung Fu Chroma Key video... The part towards the beginning when he's doing those ridiculous backflips and gets stuck on the balcony had me in fucking stitches. So hilarious how the animations look when you try to jump or move.  :lol :corn :metal

RIP DTP.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1522 on: September 30, 2015, 05:52:02 PM »
The new Star Wars Battlefront is coming out in 8 weeks. What are your opinions thus far?
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1523 on: September 30, 2015, 05:54:36 PM »
The new Star Wars Battlefront is coming out in 8 weeks. What are your opinions thus far?

I must have it

so excited

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1524 on: October 01, 2015, 12:14:05 AM »
If it's as good as Battlefront II, it's going to rock my world. My brother and I eventually wore out our PS2 disc after play so much.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1525 on: October 01, 2015, 12:16:09 AM »

EA will fuck it up somehow
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline adace

« Reply #1526 on: October 01, 2015, 12:29:01 AM »
The lack of single player campaign makes me sad.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1527 on: October 01, 2015, 01:01:18 AM »
Yup. Except for me it outright killed any excitement for the game. Any game I have played that is strictly multiplayer/online in this genre has let me down in a lot of ways. There's just something that is missing at their core it seems...I'm not sure how to better explain it. I'd love to be proven wrong, but any game like this that I've played I get bored very quickly and end up wishing I'd spent my money elsewhere. I'll wait to see how it turns out, and as online/multiplayer games usually go, that'll probably be a while considering it'll be the fanbase that makes or breaks it ultimately. These days, that idea does not sit well with me.  :lol

RIP DTP.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1528 on: October 01, 2015, 06:22:54 AM »
Nothing would thrill me more greatly than for Rockstar to announce that the next GTA will be online only.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1529 on: October 01, 2015, 10:11:07 AM »
I'm kind of done with GTA. Every time I play one, I just screw around with the cheats and use it as a boredom killer. I'm not sure how people get into the story. I love a good crime drama, but a good crime drama, GTA is not... At all, I don't think. It had some moments here and there but for the most part I just didn't give a shit and wanted to wreck havoc on the world. It's a fun open world game but there's only so much you can do with that set up. Hell, I had a lot more fun with Saints Row IV just for the fact that it was open world in a different way and was completely ridiculous. They went ham with it and I loved it. Granted, it's a far cry from the open world of GTAV, but as far as ingenuity and originality goes...SRIV had it in spades. Use the core of the GTAV world and put all the crazy shit you can do in SRIV into it and I've got myself a true life waster of hilarity and fun.

But yeah, your opinion is horrible and you should be thrown in prison.  :P :heart

RIP DTP.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1530 on: October 01, 2015, 10:21:45 AM »
Just realised it's only a month until Fallout 4!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1531 on: October 01, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »

Hellllz yuh!! I can't wait.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #1532 on: October 01, 2015, 07:18:47 PM »
Undertale.

Like seriously damn.

If you like JRPGS, just do it. Don't look up anything don't watch anyone play don't read a walkthrough just play the game.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1533 on: October 01, 2015, 07:50:40 PM »
it's not even a JRPG lol
it's more "Earthbound-inspired"

also it's probably my GOTY and it's amazing, and it's $10 go buy it

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1534 on: October 01, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »
Um...Earthbound is one of the most well defined JRPGs and also one of the first to set off the popularity of the genre outside Japan. It's like...one of the best examples of a classic JRPG. Whatchu smokin' bro?  :lol

That said, I'll have to check it out! I'm still REALLY into Xenoblade and loving every second but I'll make note! Always on the lookout for a good JRPG.

RIP DTP.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1535 on: October 01, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Nothing would thrill me more greatly than for Rockstar to announce that the next GTA will be online only.

Considering they probably wouldn't want to turn away a large chunk of their fanbase I'd say there's almost no chance they do it.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1536 on: October 01, 2015, 09:33:36 PM »
Um...Earthbound is one of the most well defined JRPGs and also one of the first to set off the popularity of the genre outside Japan. It's like...one of the best examples of a classic JRPG. Whatchu smokin' bro?  :lol

That said, I'll have to check it out! I'm still REALLY into Xenoblade and loving every second but I'll make note! Always on the lookout for a good JRPG.

I do see what Parama means kind of? It's more like a bullet hell in terms of game play than a JRPG. Sort of. You really just have to experience it.

That being said I agree with Parama that Undertale is GOTY. Fallout 4 will have to be damn impressive for that opinion to change.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #1537 on: October 01, 2015, 09:41:42 PM »
Interesting... I'll definitely check it out! The comparison just didn't make sense to me...  :laugh:

Considering they probably wouldn't want to turn away a large chunk of their fanbase I'd say there's almost no chance they do it.

As they shouldn't, it's a completely asinine idea.

RIP DTP.

Offline Genowyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1538 on: October 02, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »
Parama which endings have you gotten?

I got Pacifist (and Neutral of course), I don't know if I can bring myself to do No Mercy, though it seems like it would be really interesting and add quite a bit to the story. I also looked up the Sans boss fight on Youtube and some part of me wants to do it just for that.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1539 on: October 02, 2015, 10:35:46 AM »
i did pacifist twice  :lol
can't bring myself to kill -anything- in this game lol