Author Topic: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue  (Read 85838 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The History of Rush v. Discography Thread: Epilogue
« Reply #1085 on: January 11, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »

How can albums made these days sound like such ass when albums recorded in 1979 can sound so fantastic?

Don't get me started.  I want to punch whoever is responsible for brickwalling the crap out of Clockwork Angels.  If that was mixed and sounded like Counterparts, it would probably be a top 5 Rush album for me (even with Geddy's vocals being a little rough around the edges due to his age). 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1086 on: January 11, 2020, 07:01:19 PM »
Chris, if you want a good 80's playlist, A Show Of Hands is pretty good.

As Joe said, Counterparts is 75% killer. And Clockwork Angels obviously.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1087 on: January 11, 2020, 07:04:53 PM »

Agreed.  I am usually a studio version guy, but some of the live versions on A Show of Hands are better than the studio ones, most notably Red Sector A, Turn the Page and Mission.  And the live version of Marathon has those extra 15-20 seconds that we didn't get on the studio version due to the fadeout (and I don't mind fadeouts).

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1088 on: January 11, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »

How can albums made these days sound like such ass when albums recorded in 1979 can sound so fantastic?

Don't get me started.  I want to punch whoever is responsible for brickwalling the crap out of Clockwork Angels.  If that was mixed and sounded like Counterparts, it would probably be a top 5 Rush album for me (even with Geddy's vocals being a little rough around the edges due to his age).

I had to turn down CA today.  It was too muddled playing it loud in my car.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1089 on: January 11, 2020, 07:13:27 PM »

I had to turn down CA today.  It was too muddled playing it loud in my car.

Exactly.  You get ear fatigue if you turn it up and listen to too many songs from it in a row, and as a result I rarely listen to all of it anymore, although Headlong Flight and the title track are too good to not go for on a regular basis. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1090 on: January 11, 2020, 07:16:22 PM »

Agreed.  I am usually a studio version guy, but some of the live versions on A Show of Hands are better than the studio ones, most notably Red Sector A, Turn the Page and Mission.  And the live version of Marathon has those extra 15-20 seconds that we didn't get on the studio version due to the fadeout (and I don't mind fadeouts).

I just meant that A Show Of Hands is a good greatest songs of the 80's kind of live album and would give a good cross section of tracks.

Rush is a band where it was clear if they were into it live or not, and the Hold Your Fire show that I saw was fantastic and got me back into Rush in the late 80's.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1091 on: January 11, 2020, 07:24:30 PM »

I just meant that A Show Of Hands is a good greatest songs of the 80's kind of live album and would give a good cross section of tracks.

Except you might have missed where I said I wasn't very fond of that era of their music :p
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1092 on: January 11, 2020, 07:26:29 PM »
If you're looking for a live album focusing on more of their 90s material, I would highly highly recommend Different Stages.  There's plenty of old stuff too - it's an awesome set.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #1093 on: January 11, 2020, 07:27:40 PM »
And after that, they did a live album of every tour.  And they're all good.  Rush in Rio is super cool for the energy.  I haven't actually watched the R40 one yet; I've been holding onto it I guess.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1094 on: January 11, 2020, 07:53:35 PM »
I don't like Snakes & Arrows now as much as I did when it was first released, but I still like it.  I would definitely place in my bottom tier, though, which of course is no shame since there is no Rush album I do not like.  The very dry sound of the production is bothersome, however.  Even though I like all three albums they did this century, there are major sound issues with all of them (Vapor Trails is loud and noisy, S&A is too dry, Clockwork Angels is brickwalled to death).  The bottom tier albums are the one I rarely reach for anymore (the debut, Test for Echo, Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows).

Huh, I always thought the production and sound was the only thing S&A had going for it.

I LOVE the sound of that album.  Other than the instrumentals, it's not their best album of material, song-wise.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1095 on: January 11, 2020, 08:24:01 PM »
Snakes and Arrows is a great album, imo, but it was definitely a grower for me.  First listen was like "ok...." but with time, the songs started to click for me; not all at once, but I'd find myself really enjoying one, then another would click, etc.

S&A is easily my favorite Rush record but I agree that it was a grower. It was the first album I really got into and I find it kind of surprising people hate on it so much. The riffage is great, the production is pretty good and it's an aground solid album. Mid to late 80s rush was way more spotty.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1096 on: January 11, 2020, 08:43:46 PM »
Just finished Grace Under Pressure, which is the greatest 5 song Rush EP ever, and I'm about to dive into the most overrated album in the entire Rush discography.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1097 on: January 11, 2020, 08:46:48 PM »
Just finished Grace Under Pressure, which is the greatest 5 song Rush EP ever, and I'm about to dive into the most overrated album in the entire Rush discography.

A Farewell to Kings?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1098 on: January 11, 2020, 08:49:44 PM »
I'm going in chronological order wise ass.

But that said, AFTK is easily my least fave in the 2112-MP run.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1099 on: January 11, 2020, 08:52:06 PM »

Better to be a wise ass than a dumb ass. :P

And to be clear, I am a big fan of A Farewell to Kings, but agree that it is their least best of the classic run, and like probably 7-8 overall Rush albums more than it now, thus it gets overrated. ;)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1100 on: January 11, 2020, 08:54:23 PM »

Tbh, it was 50-50 which one I typed. I went back and forth. :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1101 on: January 11, 2020, 08:57:11 PM »

Tbh, it was 50-50 which one I typed. I went back and forth. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1102 on: January 11, 2020, 09:04:53 PM »
So the funny thing about Red Foreman is that my best friend in 9th grade, his father looked and talked just like Red. I think that's why his character is so realistic to me. I mean, he looked just like him!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1103 on: January 11, 2020, 09:09:32 PM »
And you're a dummass as well.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1104 on: January 11, 2020, 09:23:17 PM »
It took me a while to get used to the stern father from Dead Poets Society played Red. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1105 on: January 11, 2020, 09:28:12 PM »
Both of those two are a far cry from seeing him as the president of the United Federation of Planets in Star Trek VI.

Kev, your avatar is adorable, who is it?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1106 on: January 11, 2020, 09:30:13 PM »
Emilia Clarke.  To say she is adorable would be the understatement of the century.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1107 on: January 11, 2020, 09:35:27 PM »
Huh never would have thought that was her! But then it took me about halfway through Solo to realize she was the gal in that too. So basically if someone kills your wife prey I am not the only eyewitness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1108 on: January 11, 2020, 09:37:31 PM »
Huh never would have thought that was her! But then it took me about halfway through Solo to realize she was the gal in that too. So basically if someone kills your wife prey I am not the only eyewitness.

That shot is from this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQE66PTOy_E

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1109 on: January 12, 2020, 06:16:26 AM »
I have no idea who that is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1110 on: January 12, 2020, 06:21:37 AM »
Shocking. :P  She played Daenerys, the Mother of Dragons, on Game of Thrones.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1111 on: January 12, 2020, 06:24:03 AM »
I've never seen Game Of Thrones. I don't know any of the cast.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1112 on: January 12, 2020, 06:29:10 AM »
I've never seen Game Of Thrones. I don't know any of the cast.

:P

Online faizoff

« Reply #1113 on: January 12, 2020, 10:25:40 AM »
She played Sara Connor in Terminator Genisys.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1114 on: January 12, 2020, 10:33:13 AM »
TAC hasn't seen a movie since 1987.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: January 12, 2020, 10:34:26 AM »
TAC hasn't seen a movie since 1987.

Only with commercials.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1116 on: January 12, 2020, 10:52:09 AM »
Not including kids movies, I think the last time I went to the movies I saw The Blair Witch Project.  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1117 on: January 12, 2020, 11:35:20 AM »
Well, I just finished Power Windows and Hold Your Fire...

I really was not a Rush fan in the 80's. I had a friend big into Rush that nagged me to death to see the Power Windows show. I thought it was awful really. I was like 6 rows back right in front of Geddy. It was early in the tour and Geddy just looked pissed the entire night. Plus they played so many songs from Power Windows.

A few years later, I while in college, I went to the Hold Your Fire show in Worcester. Michael Schenker was opening, so that was the real draw for me. Well, Rush blew me away. They were so joyful on stage, and not the curmudgeons they were on the previous tour.

I became reinvigorated as far as Rush was, and was really hopeful for the soon to be released Presto.

That said, I still don't get the love for Power Windows. I find it really out there and somewhat directionless. On Hold Your Fire, they clearly scaled it back a bit by writing better songs, but it's basically on par or a little less than Grace Under Pressure.

I'm glad they would soon move on from this Era, as I don't really consider Presto an 80's album.

Online HOF

« Reply #1118 on: January 12, 2020, 12:04:36 PM »
Power Windows is just really special to me in a whole bunch of ways I probably can’t put into words adequately. Lyrically, musically, production wise, it just all pushes the right buttons for me. I don’t know what might have been up with the guys when you saw them on that tour, but Power Windows for me is brimming with joy, heart, and, well, power. I listened to a lot of Rush yesterday on shuffle or selecting individual favorites I wanted to hear, but Power Windows was the one album I listened to the whole way through (also most of Signals, but Power Windows first). It’s a magical place.

Oddly enough, while I like a lot of Hold Your Fire, that’s the album that feels a little overcooked to me (both lyrically and production wise), with a bunch of songs that just fall flat (despite some real highs in songs like Force Ten, Time Stand Still, Mission, etc.). Like they tried to make a second Power Windows but just couldn’t capture the same magic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1119 on: January 12, 2020, 12:15:30 PM »
I find most of HYF a lot easier on the ears than most of Power Windows. And it's a lot catchier in places. But there are a couple of duds for sure.