Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 69994 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1820 on: June 09, 2023, 10:48:35 AM »
I'm a fan of the NHL. I don't think it's a garbage league, and I didn't see anything to suggest there's a "fix" or anything like that.  Not the HUGEST Bettman fan, but there's worse.

Having said that, I AM disappointed with the refereeing in general that I've seen over the past season or two.  I get that it's a fast game, and a violent sport, but there seems to be a lot of subjectivity in the calling, a subjectivity that other leagues, like the NFL for better or worse, have tried to minimize. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1821 on: June 09, 2023, 01:20:13 PM »
I'm a fan of the NHL. I don't think it's a garbage league, and I didn't see anything to suggest there's a "fix" or anything like that.  Not the HUGEST Bettman fan, but there's worse.

Having said that, I AM disappointed with the refereeing in general that I've seen over the past season or two.  I get that it's a fast game, and a violent sport, but there seems to be a lot of subjectivity in the calling, a subjectivity that other leagues, like the NFL for better or worse, have tried to minimize.

Don't tell my friend that.  Everything she doesn't like:  "I blame Bettman."  Of course, she still harbors a grudge against the Canadiens for supposedly "cheating" to discover that Marty McSorley was playing with an obviously illegal stick, which resulted in a penalty in game 2 of the 1993 SCF.  This led to the Habs tying the game in the final minutes of regulation and winning in OT (and then winning the next three games of the series).  She legitimately regards this as a curse that infects all of Canada, and that's why no Canadian team has won the Cup since 1993.  Seriously.  She actually believes this.

In any event, there's tons of subjectivity in both hockey and football.  The old adage is that there's holding/pass interference/illegal contact on every play in football, so it's just a question of how much is too much.  Same is true with holding and interference in hockey.  In "the old days," the refs just swallowed the whistles, but not so much anymore.  Frankly, the officiating that frustrates me more than anything else is umpires in baseball calling balls and strikes.  When Eric Gregg was calling pitches in the opposite batter's box as strikes, we were outraged, but we didn't have the strike zone superimposed on the screen like we do now...on every pitch.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1822 on: June 09, 2023, 04:49:42 PM »

Don't tell my friend that.  Everything she doesn't like:  "I blame Bettman."  Of course, she still harbors a grudge against the Canadiens for supposedly "cheating" to discover that Marty McSorley was playing with an obviously illegal stick, which resulted in a penalty in game 2 of the 1993 SCF.  This led to the Habs tying the game in the final minutes of regulation and winning in OT (and then winning the next three games of the series).  She legitimately regards this as a curse that infects all of Canada, and that's why no Canadian team has won the Cup since 1993.  Seriously.  She actually believes this.

In any event, there's tons of subjectivity in both hockey and football.  The old adage is that there's holding/pass interference/illegal contact on every play in football, so it's just a question of how much is too much.  Same is true with holding and interference in hockey.  In "the old days," the refs just swallowed the whistles, but not so much anymore.  Frankly, the officiating that frustrates me more than anything else is umpires in baseball calling balls and strikes.  When Eric Gregg was calling pitches in the opposite batter's box as strikes, we were outraged, but we didn't have the strike zone superimposed on the screen like we do now...on every pitch.

I don't mind the calls you are talking about.  Moving the line closer to "more penalties". THat's just calibration.  I just notice almost a penalty a game where on replay, it's not really that close.  Trips where plays move past each other and lose an edge.  That kind of thing.  Then you have Hill holding Tkachuk in the net for 10 seconds and... pffft. 

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1823 on: June 10, 2023, 09:12:24 PM »
Well, here we are.  One win away from a Vegas Stanley Cup win.  Panthers have been in this 3-1 spot before this post-season.  I don't think the Golden Knights are going to show as much leaks that the Panthers can take advantage of as much like they did in the Bruins series.  That's what I'm hoping for though.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1824 on: June 11, 2023, 05:49:29 AM »
Bobs lost a bit of his mojo, and Tkachuk is injured. No way they’re coming back. They were getting the good fortune of close games going their way the last 2 series. Not here. They were quite fortunate to win game 3.

I predict Vegas hoists Lord Stanley’s mug on Tuesday.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1825 on: June 11, 2023, 11:15:24 AM »
Bobs lost a bit of his mojo, and Tkachuk is injured. No way they’re coming back. They were getting the good fortune of close games going their way the last 2 series. Not here. They were quite fortunate to win game 3.

I predict Vegas hoists Lord Stanley’s mug on Tuesday.

Agreed. The ‘rest’ between series killed their momentum and also……Vegas is really good. Lots of veteran players on that team that just are smart and know how to win. I don’t see them losing focus and blowing a 3-1 lead, I guess it ‘could’ happen but it’s highly doubtful when looking at how this series has played out. If not for a bit of luck and heroics in game 3 this series is over already. I’m with you in thinking Vegas finishes it off next game.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1826 on: June 12, 2023, 07:16:40 AM »
I don't WANT to like the Vegas Knights, but my goodness, they are playing almost perfect hockey right now.  That's the essence of playoff hockey.  I'm not sure I agree with the "time off" scenario; that sort of takes credit from where credit is due. Hill is playing as inspired as Bobs was, so the goaltending is a wash.  I think the injuries and what not are a result of Vegas just having an answer for everything.  Maurice has done a great job of motivating his players, and keeping them up when they needed to be, but he just doesn't have the talent/tools that Cassidy does, and it's showing.  The Stanley Cup playoffs are a war of attrition, and this is evidence of that.   

I think that hit on Gudas in game three was indicative of that; Gudas plays an aggressive, mugging style, and he went in the for the hit and got laid out himself.  That hasn't happened yet in this entire playoffs and yet... and Gudas hasn't been the same since.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1827 on: June 12, 2023, 08:03:50 AM »
I don't disagree with any of that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1828 on: June 13, 2023, 08:34:38 AM »
Well, the Senators' owners saga has finally been decided.  Michael Andlauer (minority owner of the Habs and owner of an OHL team) has made a official deal to buy the Sens.  Reading around that the total he will pay is $950M.  The estate of Eugene Melynk will retain 10% ownership.  Gl to them, they got some promising pieces.  Now with stable ownership in the wings, hopefully, they can make something of that.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/michael-andlauer-reaches-deal-to-buy-ottawa-senators/

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1829 on: June 13, 2023, 09:24:07 AM »
Word is DeBrincat wanted out of Ottawa due to ownership situation. Word is also Detroit (his hometown team) was on list of preferred teams he'd sign an extension with. Happy for Sens, but hope this doesn't prohibit a hopeful trade to the Red Wings.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1830 on: June 13, 2023, 07:41:19 PM »
Well……I’m not seeing a come back for Florida here. Vegas May score 4 more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1831 on: June 13, 2023, 07:48:07 PM »
The Vegas shifts on the 3rd and 4th goals were unbelievable.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1832 on: June 13, 2023, 07:51:39 PM »

Yeah. Just hounding the puck and was a never ending wave of pressure. Did it give you flashbacks to 2019?  :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1833 on: June 13, 2023, 07:56:48 PM »

Yeah. Just hounding the puck and was a never ending wave of pressure. Did it give you flashbacks to 2019?  :lol

Not really, no.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: June 13, 2023, 07:58:06 PM »

Not really, no.

You must have blocked it from memory. Trauma does that

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1835 on: June 13, 2023, 08:04:44 PM »
That 2nd period was nothing but relentless pressure for the Golden Knights.  They have matched the score on the 2012 finals clinching game, 6-1.  Let's see if they can expand on it or if Panthers can muster a miracle.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1836 on: June 13, 2023, 09:03:03 PM »
Well, this was something.  6 years from inception to cup.  Made a lot of bold and aggressive moves.  Maybe a bit too much.  Had to change coaches twice.  A lot of roster turnaround.  Took chances in bringing in an expensive $10M a year player that had to go through neck surgery.  Their captain had back issues.  Brought in a great coach and I knew when they brought in Bruce Cassidy, they were going to do great.  A huge step up over Peter DeBoer.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1837 on: June 14, 2023, 01:44:21 AM »
Congrats to the VGK. That was one hard-hitting game!

Question - back in the day "I think" they used to freeze the puck to make it travel down the ice easier. Did they ever do that and do they still do it?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: June 14, 2023, 06:24:05 AM »
I said to my stepson, this is either Florida winning 2-1 in like four overtimes, or Vegas blows them out.  I think I said "like 7-0".   I was one off the goal differential.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1839 on: June 14, 2023, 07:14:55 AM »
Damn, that was the worst performance in an elimination game that I've seen since the 2002 Western Conference Finals.  Bob couldn't stop a beach ball last night.  How do you come out that flat when your season is on the line? 

Congrats to Vegas though.  They played well throughout the playoffs and were undeniable in the Cup Finals.  I chuckled at the thought that Eichel got a Cup before McDavid!
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: June 14, 2023, 08:05:33 AM »
Question - back in the day "I think" they used to freeze the puck to make it travel down the ice easier. Did they ever do that and do they still do it?

They still do that. The game pucks are froze and kept in a cooler in the penalty box.

I freeze the game pucks for my sons team that I coach. Home team has to supply three pucks.....I keep a batch of 'game pucks' separate from my practice pucks and keep them froze and ready for the games. They do travel better on the ice.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1841 on: June 14, 2023, 08:08:04 AM »
How do you come out that flat when your season is on the line? 

Their heart and soul.....the player that 'is' their team personality and identification.....who leads by example and plays his balls off.....wasn't there. Say what you will about Tkachuck but he's a gamer and he brought a moxi to that team that sparked them to where they were. They weren't winning anything much less an elimination game on the road without him in the line up.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: June 14, 2023, 08:17:29 AM »
The tank was empty.  They were (over) performing like a high end automobile since Game 4 of the Bruins series, and they got dinged up a little, and just ran out of fuel.  You can only rev an engine that high for so long, and they just came crashing down.  The 10-day layoff really hurt their chances; the injuries were just the nails in the coffin.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1843 on: June 14, 2023, 08:54:24 AM »
The tank was empty.  They were (over) performing like a high end automobile since Game 4 of the Bruins series, and they got dinged up a little, and just ran out of fuel.  You can only rev an engine that high for so long, and they just came crashing down.  The 10-day layoff really hurt their chances; the injuries were just the nails in the coffin.

Tru Dat. Then add in that Vegas is a really structurally sound team......Florida was in trouble no matter what.

I'm happy for Petro (and Barbachev) that they got another cup Win. Barby is a meat and potatoes player who is just a competitor, glad for him. And Petro is a really good dude.....solid D man and that has to feel good and like a bit of vindication and maybe a bit of FU to Doug Armstrong also.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1844 on: June 14, 2023, 09:14:03 AM »
This Vegas cup win brought a lot of FU to many teams.  Blues, Kings, Bruins, Sabres, Oilers, Panthers, etc.  Honestly, I'm not too thrilled about them winning it, but I'm for it.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #1845 on: June 14, 2023, 09:56:00 AM »

They still do that. The game pucks are froze and kept in a cooler in the penalty box.

I freeze the game pucks for my sons team that I coach. Home team has to supply three pucks.....I keep a batch of 'game pucks' separate from my practice pucks and keep them froze and ready for the games. They do travel better on the ice.

Got it. Thanks :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1846 on: June 14, 2023, 10:16:07 AM »

I don't want to argue with you, because neither side is provable.  But I'm in the camp that says that no matter what the layover was - 0 days, 1 day, 5 days, 10 days - the outcome was the same.  That's not why they cooled off.  They cooled off because their bodies and brains couldn't sustain the onslaught of Vegas.  I am NOT a fan of Vegas, and I patently DO NOT like Bruce Cassidy, but that was a primer on how to play a five game series.  They played virtually perfect hockey.   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1847 on: June 14, 2023, 10:28:36 AM »

Yes and yes.

Bob couldn't stop a beach ball last night.

The fact that the first suggested search that comes up when you type "dan clout..." is "dan cloutier beach ball" is pretty telling.

That was an all-around embarrassing performance by Florida.  Shades of game 6 in 1991 (I'd compare it to game 6 in 2012, but that game had 5-minute major).  I agree that, while the long layoff didn't help, it also wasn't the primary reason for the loss.  I stuck around to see the Cup ceremony.  I think it sucks that guys don't really take it for a spin anymore.  Maybe that's just because of all the extra crap on the ice these days.  I thought it was WEIRD that Alec Martinez handed the Cup to Jonathan Quick BEFORE Aidan Hill got it.

My kid is happy because he's going to Vegas tomorrow, so he'll get to see the parade (apparently, it'll be Saturday evening).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1848 on: June 14, 2023, 08:48:52 PM »
This Vegas cup win brought a lot of FU to many teams.  Blues, Kings, Bruins, Sabres, Oilers, Panthers, etc.  Honestly, I'm not too thrilled about them winning it, but I'm for it.

I don't see how this is a FU to the Blues in any way, shape or form.  Petro and Barbachev helped the Blues get their first Cup, and Armstrong was the architect.  Players move on to other teams.  It happens.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1849 on: June 15, 2023, 01:57:20 PM »

I don't see how this is a FU to the Blues in any way, shape or form.  Petro and Barbachev helped the Blues get their first Cup, and Armstrong was the architect.  Players move on to other teams.  It happens.

Yeah...same.  It was a little bittersweet seeing Marty and Quick hoist the Cup for another team, but Marty's been gone a while, and the Quick trade kinda had to happen.  It's only an "FU" in the same sense as if any other Pacific Division team had won.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1850 on: June 15, 2023, 02:11:30 PM »
I guess what else makes me a bit mad at the Kings, in addition to trading Quick (which I get it, since the team wasn't winning games when he's starting whether he was the issue or their defense structure was the issue, didn't matter.  They weren't winning games with him and something needed to give and he drew the short straw in going.) 

I mean people had Michael Amadio as a whipping boy for the Kings for their shortcomings during the rougher recent years.  I was guilty of that as well.  They traded him to the Sens, Sens didn't re-sign him, he went to the Leafs.  Leafs waived him and got claimed by Vegas and eventually he turned into a decent bottom six player for the Golden Knights and did decently well in the playoffs.

In the end, I'm not mad at the Golden Knights.  I will say they earned this cup.  Everyone can complain about them because of x,y,z reasons, but they were better than all of the other teams they went against or could have gone against.  I'm just mad at the Kings for not doing more with the players they traded that eventually went to Vegas or not having a bigger impact or did more with the assets they got when they had to make those trades.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1851 on: June 17, 2023, 12:31:12 AM »
So the Canucks have bought out Oliver Ekman-Larsson with four years left on his contract that had around $7M of a cap hit for the Canucks.  $1M for the Coyotes that they retained.  This is going to be a long-buyout.  I get it.  The Canucks needed space as they started the offseason over the cap and they are going to free up space in year 1 and 2.  Still you look at this and when they get year 3 and 4, it's not going to be pretty.  One would just hope they do something impactful with this space while they still got Elias Pettersson and Quinn Hughes in the books.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 12:37:16 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #1852 on: June 17, 2023, 07:59:01 AM »
Maybe the Canucks are wishing and hoping the cap will go up $20M before 2025. Almost $5m in dead cap space is basically a crowbar to the knees for a team looking to be competitive.

I didn't follow the Canucks much last season since they were a Pacific bottom feeder most of the season. Anyone know what happened with Ekman-Larsson? He used to be considered a fairly elite d-man at both ends of the ice.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: June 17, 2023, 09:28:33 AM »
Maybe the Canucks are wishing and hoping the cap will go up $20M before 2025. Almost $5m in dead cap space is basically a crowbar to the knees for a team looking to be competitive.

Tell that to the Wild.  And by 2026, the cap might be up near $90M.  They'd still be in the black by over $2M by freeing up that contract.

There's talk of buying out Matt Murray in Toronto.  It'd only be a $600k cap hit this year, $2M next year, and $2.6M the following year.  Might be worth it to free up $4M this year, considering he's only got 1 year left on his contract, and I see no circumstance wherein they'd want to re-sign him.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1854 on: June 21, 2023, 03:04:06 PM »
Welcome to the Hockey Hall of Fame:

- Tom Barrasso
- Pierre Turgeon
- Caroline Oullette
- Mike Vernon
- Henrik Lundqvist
- Ken Hitchcock
- Pierre Lacroix

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/henrik-lundqvist-mike-vernon-tom-barrasso-among-seven-named-to-2023-hockey-hall-of-fame-class-1.1975881