Author Topic: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN  (Read 70032 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: NHL 2022-2023: FA July 13th - LET IT BEGIN
« Reply #1435 on: April 30, 2023, 09:43:18 PM »
Oooo, a goal that could have tied the game was waived off due to off-sides.

Now's as good a time as any to say that I HATE this rule.  Off sides is hard, and I hate wiping out a goal for something like this.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1436 on: April 30, 2023, 09:47:31 PM »

Now's as good a time as any to say that I HATE this rule.  Off sides is hard, and I hate wiping out a goal for something like this.

Do you hate offsides? Or you hate the review?

I’m not wrapping my head around this. The official missed a call that would have whistled the played dead. It’s a goal that never should’ve happened so I don’t understand why. Getting it taken away is such a big deal
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 09:55:26 PM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1437 on: April 30, 2023, 09:49:02 PM »
Why?  The rules are the rules. No different than a tiptoe in football or basketball out of bounds. Or a baseball that is an inch over the foul line.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1438 on: April 30, 2023, 09:56:26 PM »
I don’t like that the Kraken are playing so conservatively and just trying to hold onto the lead. They seem to be on their heels and allowing Colorado too much access to the offensive zone. Grubauer is playing an incredible game, but they need to go on the attack and get an insurance goal.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1439 on: April 30, 2023, 09:57:49 PM »
Why?  The rules are the rules. No different than a tiptoe in football or basketball out of bounds. Or a baseball that is an inch over the foul line.

Especially the fact it was a good foot offsides. The ones where the skate is above the line or are so close it could go either way:….I can see getting bent out of shape over it. But this should have been whistled in real time. It was pretty obvious.

Just waiting for the next ticky tack call to get the AVs a PP  :corn
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1440 on: April 30, 2023, 10:04:16 PM »
If Makar getting tripped wasn't a call, I don't think they are getting any calls for the rest of the game.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1441 on: April 30, 2023, 10:10:22 PM »
If Makar getting tripped wasn't a call, I don't think they are getting any calls for the rest of the game.

It’s even considering MaKinnon tripped Schwartz blatantly and got away with it. Besides, Makar sold that a bit anyway.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1442 on: April 30, 2023, 10:14:27 PM »
Never followed hockey my whole life, but as a local, I would be remiss if I did not say GO KRAKEN!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1443 on: April 30, 2023, 10:14:33 PM »
I’m so used to being a sports fan from Seattle that I’m not used to something like this happening.

This is amazing! I hardly know what to say!

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: April 30, 2023, 10:15:11 PM »
I’m so used to being a sports fan from Seattle that I’m not used to something like this happening.

This is amazing! I hardly know what to say!

Hell yeah! Bye Bye Colorado!

Nice work Kraken!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1445 on: April 30, 2023, 10:17:11 PM »
That was impressive work by the Kraken.  Getting the first goal of the game for all 7 games.  Plus Grubauer played pretty darn well this series against his old team.  It doesn't matter how he did in the 1st season or last season, this is the kind of stuff that makes the contract for the year worthwhile.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1446 on: April 30, 2023, 10:20:29 PM »
The Seahawks were a joke in the NFL for there for six years, and the Mariners were an even bigger joke for the first 15-20 years in baseball. (To the point that the Mariners being in the World Series in the Naked Gun film WAS THE JOKE).

So having the Kraken beat the defending champions in their 2nd season is wonderful. Obviously, even if they go no farther, this season is a huge win for the franchise.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1447 on: May 01, 2023, 06:18:55 AM »
I don’t like that the Kraken are playing so conservatively and just trying to hold onto the lead. They seem to be on their heels and allowing Colorado too much access to the offensive zone. Grubauer is playing an incredible game, but they need to go on the attack and get an insurance goal.

They were actually pretty aggressive in the 3rd - I think I heard that they outshot the Avs 10-6.  Grubauer was a stud that game.  Also... I'm tired of hearing how Landeskog's injury played a role in why they were short-handed... FFS, they didn't have him all year and still finished 1st in the division, so not having him in the playoffs was a non-factor.

7 straight Game 7 losses for the Avs.  I also read that Tampa is 1-11 in their last Playoff OT games.  That is shocking.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1448 on: May 01, 2023, 07:05:51 AM »
I swear, this is why my interest in sports is dropping.  A great Game 7 is now stupid thanks to a few iffy calls flipping the game and allowing Boston to get two PPGs.  The result is now a foregone conclusion.

I hope you're not insinuating that the refs are favoring the Bruins; I'm not that guy, but if I was I'd be screaming up a storm about the calls in this series.  Brutal.  Gudas has basically had his way the entire series and it's as if he has pictures of the linesmen with goats or something.  Tkachuk as well, to a lesser degree.  Pastrnak - as bad as he has been - has been thrown around like a ragdoll for most of the series. 

EDIT:  Oh, and "hand pass".  Please (though that was, by all accounts, technically the right call). 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 07:45:43 AM by Stadler »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1449 on: May 01, 2023, 07:13:09 AM »
Marchand wearing the C is about as ridiculous as Pastrnak wearing the A.

Let's not go insane now. I agree about Pasta but Marchand has been a leader no doubt this year.

Marchand was one of three or four players - I think Bergeron, Bertuzzi, and Hall are in that group too - that DID play Bruins hockey this series.  The problem was that Florida had three lines playing solid, mistake-free (more or less) hockey, AND they had a goaltender that made the key saves when they needed them.  Ullmark was wrong - physically, mentally - from at least game four.  He saved NOTHING in that Game 6. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1450 on: May 01, 2023, 07:45:46 AM »
To many mistakes forced by the great forchecking of the Panthers.  Even when the B's were not having pressure they were poor with their passing.  That's what pressure does to you. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: May 01, 2023, 07:46:46 AM »
To many mistakes forced by the great forchecking of the Panthers.  Even when the B's were not having pressure they were poor with their passing.  That's what pressure does to you.

That was the scenario for that winning goal.  You had three tenacious players playing the boards, and keeping the puck alive for the Panthers. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1452 on: May 01, 2023, 09:23:19 AM »

I’m not wrapping my head around this. The official missed a call that would have whistled the played dead. It’s a goal that never should’ve happened so I don’t understand why. Getting it taken away is such a big deal

I have NO problem with the off side rule, and I'm not saying that the guy wasn't obviously off side on the play in question.

What I don't like is a goal being disallowed because of something that happened potentially more than minute earlier.  If someone steps out of bounds in football or basketball, it's reviewed immediately.  It would be like a guy stepping out of bounds and making a catch before re-establishing himself, the offense running another couple plays and then scoring and THEN having the out of bounds play reviewed.  I'm not saying that there's any sort of infallible logic to my feeling on the subject.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1453 on: May 01, 2023, 09:45:10 AM »

That was the scenario for that winning goal.  You had three tenacious players playing the boards, and keeping the puck alive for the Panthers.

There are two types of teams in OT scenarios……one team is playing to win and the other is playing not to lose. The Bruins were playing not to lose…..Panthers were playing to win.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1454 on: May 01, 2023, 10:24:29 AM »
In non-playoff news, the Flames has fired Darryl Sutter!  I love Sutter and all, for the Kings cups, but I think teams that he has coached knows that the guy has a shelf life before everyone around him (GMs, reporters, players, fans, etc.) are going to be sick of his passive-aggressive Sutterisms and that Flames team has had it.  They also have no GM as well, so this offseason is going to be interesting to them.  It's going to be their version of the Kings' 2017 offseason.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1455 on: May 01, 2023, 11:33:13 AM »
In non-playoff news, the Flames has fired Darryl Sutter!  I love Sutter and all, for the Kings cups, but I think teams that he has coached knows that the guy has a shelf life before everyone around him (GMs, reporters, players, fans, etc.) are going to be sick of his passive-aggressive Sutterisms and that Flames team has had it.  They also have no GM as well, so this offseason is going to be interesting to them.  It's going to be their version of the Kings' 2017 offseason.

I would say I have a GM guy for them, but I am doing everything I can to try and get Chuck Fletcher to the Penguins this offseason.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1456 on: May 01, 2023, 11:39:51 AM »
If the Penguins' owners didn't like Ron Hextall, they are really not going to like Chuck Fletcher.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1457 on: May 01, 2023, 11:45:22 AM »

I have NO problem with the off side rule, and I'm not saying that the guy wasn't obviously off side on the play in question.

What I don't like is a goal being disallowed because of something that happened potentially more than minute earlier.  If someone steps out of bounds in football or basketball, it's reviewed immediately.  It would be like a guy stepping out of bounds and making a catch before re-establishing himself, the offense running another couple plays and then scoring and THEN having the out of bounds play reviewed.  I'm not saying that there's any sort of infallible logic to my feeling on the subject.

You’re comparing a scenario where there is a stoppage (or potential stoppage) after each individual play, to a scenario in which play doesn’t stop until it’s forced to stop by a goal, penalty, or a puck going out of play.  The coach can’t just call time out in the middle of the play and tell the ref that the play is offsides. He’s forced to wait until a stoppage to challenge the play. If it goes out of play, no one cares. If there’s a goal and the play SHOULD have been whistled dead from the get go, then I’m all for it.  I don’t see any other way of doing it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1458 on: May 01, 2023, 11:58:57 AM »
The real reason the Kraken won!

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1459 on: May 01, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »
Wow.....  I did not see it from that angle.

In other non-playoff news, the bids to own the Senators has been heating up.  I am not joking when I say the following.  The groups that wants to place a bid to own the Sens has people like Ryan Reynolds, The Rock, and Snoop Dogg (yes, that Snoop Dogg that has commentated Kings games in the past and headlined the Super Bowl halftime show in 2022) be the figureheads of their respective groups.  The most important thing about the sale is that A. The team stays in Ottawa and B. The group makes a good effort to not only own the team, but to make Ottawa a city be more appealing to be in, to attract players in, etc.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1460 on: May 01, 2023, 12:09:26 PM »
If the Penguins' owners didn't like Ron Hextall, they are really not going to like Chuck Fletcher.

I'm not trying to give the Penguins someone who is going to help them win. :p
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: May 01, 2023, 12:50:40 PM »
The real reason the Kraken won!

Did a CO player have the puck right in front of the goal at the end of the game and make a bad pass?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1462 on: May 01, 2023, 01:26:48 PM »
IIRC…the winning goal WAS scored on a turnover.  :rollin :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1463 on: May 01, 2023, 05:08:02 PM »
I swear, this is why my interest in sports is dropping.  A great Game 7 is now stupid thanks to a few iffy calls flipping the game and allowing Boston to get two PPGs.  The result is now a foregone conclusion.

I hope you're not insinuating that the refs are favoring the Bruins; I'm not that guy, but if I was I'd be screaming up a storm about the calls in this series.  Brutal.  Gudas has basically had his way the entire series and it's as if he has pictures of the linesmen with goats or something.  Tkachuk as well, to a lesser degree.  Pastrnak - as bad as he has been - has been thrown around like a ragdoll for most of the series. 

EDIT:  Oh, and "hand pass".  Please (though that was, by all accounts, technically the right call).

No, I am just sick and tired of bad officiating influencing the outcome of important games in sports across the board.  I get that it is the human element, and it will always be a part of it, but it sucks the life out of watching a big game where two teams are going at it and a bad/iffy call or two turns the tide in one favor.  I obviously don't think games are fixed or officials go out of their way to help or screw specific teams.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1464 on: May 01, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »
Someone just pointed this out.  With last years champ being eliminated, none of the remaining 9 teams have won a Cup since Carolina in 2006.  The last Cup win for each of the remaining teams:

- Carolina (2006 over Edmonton)
- New Jersey (2003 over Anaheim)
- Dallas (1999 over Buffalo)
- NY Rangers (1994 over Vancouver)
- Edmonton (1990 over Boston)
- Toronto (1967 over Montreal)
- Vegas (never - last appearance in 2018 - lost to Washington)
- Florida (never - last appearance in 1996 - lost to Colorado)
- Seattle (never - first playoff appearance)

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1465 on: May 01, 2023, 08:35:37 PM »
If I were to fully voice my frustration right now, I would get banned from this website.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: May 01, 2023, 08:43:52 PM »
If I were to fully voice my frustration right now, I would get banned from this website.

Been there my man…..I feel ya.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #1467 on: May 01, 2023, 08:44:47 PM »
Well, with the Devils winning a series, first series they won since 2012.  Here's what I think are the teams that now has the longest 1st round win drought.  Actually, do we count the Coyotes play-in win in 2020 as a 1st round win?  Otherwise, the last time they won a round was in 2012.

1. Sabres (last won a round in 2007)
2. Red Wings (last won a round in 2013)
3. Kings (last won a round in 2014).  Gulp.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1468 on: May 01, 2023, 08:53:56 PM »
LET'S FUCKING GO. What a performance tonight from the Devils. So glad to be back to being a serious playoff team (everyone knew we were one and done in 2018). Looking forward to what should be a great series against Carolina.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1469 on: May 01, 2023, 09:03:01 PM »

Been there my man…..I feel ya.

I don’t think anything will ever top you flipping off every page of your Blues calendar, but I haven’t felt this angry at a Rangers playoff performance since the conference finals in 2015. Absolutely pathetic showing. With the best roster I’ve ever seen for my team and a conference that was blown wide open when the Bruins and Lightning went down, this team should have gone all the way to the finals, games 3, 4, and 6 showed what they could do when they play hard, but it was clear from the moment they skated onto the ice tonight that they just didn’t have it. They looked like they didn’t even want to be there. Poor Igor, Vlad, and Trouba, the only three guys who gave a fuck and played their asses off the whole series. They deserve better.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask