Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 916343 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
He can spend what he saves on some counselling  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Went and visited a store that I haven't been too for a few months, but nothing worthwhile.

I see this Teramaze cd in every store and checked them out as a possible purchase option, but it didn't do much for me to be honest.  Nothing else on the horizon this year to worth going instore for unfortunately.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Has anyone else checked out the new Voodoo Circle yet? I absolutely love this album, much more than the last one. There are only two songs I don't love, and that's probably because I haven't given them a good chance yet. One of the strongest hard rock albums I've heard in recent years.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
I just wanted to say that I really like the idea of these podcasts, but I'm not sure if I can listen to them regularly because I got some other shit going on that doesn't leave a lot of time for music. But please keep it up, I will listen to one some day and I know I will like what I hear.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I see this Teramaze cd in every store and checked them out as a possible purchase option, but it didn't do much for me to be honest.  Nothing else on the horizon this year to worth going instore for unfortunately.

You can always go in store and check for some older records you don't own. ;)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:16:13 AM by Evermind »
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I just wanted to say that I really like the idea of these podcasts, but I'm not sure if I can listen to them regularly because I got some other shit going on that doesn't leave a lot of time for music. But please keep it up, I will listen to one some day and I know I will like what I hear.

Thanks.........appreciate the sentiment ,even if there's no listening going on.  And FTR I cannot see in the cloud account how many downloads there have been ,so I'm relying on feedback here as far as gauging whether there's enough interest to keep it up.  So thanks for the note  :)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Glad you're looking forward to it (and thanks for all the feedback) - knowing that others also miss "radio shows" like this is the motivation to keep it going.

In the fall of 1982 (my first year of high school), a Providence radio station started a "Metal Hour" that would be on at 11:00 PM or Midnight on Saturday nights. I never missed a show, often recording them. This is where I first heard Hit The Lights, Queen Of The Ryche, etc..
(Doug Fry, the DJ that started the show moved to another city, to be replaced by a guy called Dr. Metal. He is thanked in the I&W liner notes. Sadly he was killed in the Station Fire.)

Anyway, while listening to your show, I couldn't help but be transported to being 14 years old listening to "The Metal Hour".  :metal
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You can always go in store and check for some older records you don't own. ;)

I actually looked for Assault Attack from MSG cause I quite like it after Tim's recommendations.  If I didn't find that I would have got one of those 5cd's packs that go for like $20, but no luck.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
Thanks.........appreciate the sentiment ,even if there's no listening going on.  And FTR I cannot see in the cloud account how many downloads there have been ,so I'm relying on feedback here as far as gauging whether there's enough interest to keep it up.  So thanks for the note  :)
I haven't listened to it intently yet, so far I've just skipped through to listen to your DJ skillz and a couple of the songs. I really liked Anytime. I intend to listen to the whole thing eventually.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I will check your podcast soon Brent, promise.  :mehlin

Offline Lowdz

I'm ready for another. Tell Ben to get his ass in gear  :rollin

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm ready for another. Tell Ben to get his ass in gear  :rollin

Amazing what a kick up the ass can do  :biggrin:..................just having one proper listen right through and I will get it ready for download.

I am not sure if we will get another one done before Christmas (hopefully) , so just in case I have made this a bumper edition.   Two and a half hours and more of everything -  more hard rock, more metal, more classics and more rarities. I think I covered off all the requests and hopefully the fact that I now have ten times the experience in podcasting (10 days vs 1 day) will shine through  :metal  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
OK guys.....................today is a "DT" day in this thread.  Feel free to discuss the new "single" from DT in addition to the normal stuff.  That way we can follow a conversation on it without having to read 20 pages at a time ..

What do you guys think of it?   I'll refer to a few posts relevant to my opinion

They focus on the story first and foremost, so the songs will be most likely be shorter in order to convey a part of the story, and with repating themes throughout like you'll hear in a movie score. The songs will be standalone, but yet be telling a whole story, and be designed to be played as a whole.

Sounds more like "classic" DT. If the whole album has this vibe - it will be the sound i've been missing since Octavarium.

Ok song. Sounds like it's a transitional song. Not like a segue or anything. More of a filler to keep the story going.

Exactly my thoughts too.  I don't think it's fair to really judge it as it will probably work a lot better in the context of the album.

I don't mind it, but only listened to it once, and don't really have much of an urge to repeat it.  I'd rather wait for the full album.  I get a heavy SDOIT, About to Crash vibe too.  The instrumental was really cool though.  Looking forward to the whole concept.

These posts have me a bit worried in terms of my taste as I generally don't like albums "that need to be listened to from start to finish" and where "the music is a score for the story" -  I just find the songs generally have no staying power and the lyrics become the focus , even though I don't want them to.  With a few brilliant exceptions where the songs are also standouts - Mindcrime, streets, Crimson Idol. And I'm not all that fussed about Octavarium :lol

I think I like the new song about as much as the better songs on SFAM (not saying much for me but promising I suppose) , but if this is the "single"  (presumably chosen for being one of the more memorable pieces as a unit) then this is likely to be a more "theatrical" production and I'm not a fan of traditional theatre or "album long stories with a score".

In summary ............it sounds like it might be the sort of concept album format that I don't like , but the new song sounds about as good as it gets for me within that format.  So I'm open minded, hoping to be astonished, but concerned.  And the production seems to be an improvement , so that's good.

I'm still a bit iffy on this concept too - as someone posted elsewhere the other day "it sounds like something a 15 year old gamer would get a boner over"  :lol   Maybe that explains the changed demographic around these parts lately  ;D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:49:36 PM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I would probably agree with most of that Brent.  It's a strange song to release first, which backs up your concerns about the type of concept album it may be.  I am looking forward to the concept, but at the same time, I'm not sold on it either yet.  I applaud DT for giving this a go though and look forward to it.  Hopefully there is a lot of songs that can stand on their own, as 2cd's of songs like this that connect to each other throughout the whole thing would be very hard work to listen to.

And as I get older, I feel less inclined to really spend time on stuff like this sort of thing.  I'm not gonna keep listening to the song though at all, maybe just 2 or 3 times, that's it.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I found it to be a solid track.  To me, it sounds like something from the FII era.

With 34 tracks on the album, I'm quite positive that there will be more superior tracks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
With 34 tracks on the album, I'm quite positive that there will be more superior tracks.

Absolutely.

I think the big question is, why is this the first song they release? 

Perhaps they only wanted to give away a small teaser song instead blowing their load right away and spoiling the epicness of the whole thing.  Makes sense.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I wouldnt be surprised if they release a few songs officially before the album comes out.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I thought the song was perfect and a great choice for a pre release track. I like this more than any other track they've pre released. I like the fact that James is being pushed here as far as range. While I thought he was great on SC and BC&SL, even ADTOE, I never felt his range was all that challenged.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Yeah, it definitely has a mid-90s DT-era feel to it.  I love concept albums, so I'm intrigued and looking forward to this - although truth be told, most double-album concepts are tough to repeatedly listen to - The Wall being the exception - although, it's only 100 minutes long anyway.  Ayreon's last album was a double-concept, which was a chore to go thru.  Although, The Human Equation is my #2 album of all-time, so there's that.

I'll try this song a few more times, then shelve it until the album comes out.  Have they even announced a release date yet?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll try this song a few more times, then shelve it until the album comes out.  Have they even announced a release date yet?

This.  I think in the main thread someone said it was confirmed for the 29th of Jan.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not excited by anything in this song at all.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
This is the hard rock / classic metal thread dangit. Keep the DT to DT side.  :'(

GEORGE'S WORLDS ARE COLLIDING. YOU'RE KILLING INDEPENDENT GEORGE.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
You're welcome to hang out over there Blob  ;D  .  I got most of the opinions that I'm interested in without having to read 30 pages of crap.

back to normal service......... :P

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not too fussed about new DT song. Nothing wrong with it, alright song, but that's about it.

Also, latest Ayreon is fantastic and not a chore to get through at all.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I didn't get into that Ayreon that much.  I should have another spin though.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
I'm not too fussed about new DT song. Nothing wrong with it, alright song, but that's about it.
:hifive:

Also, latest Ayreon is fantastic and not a chore to get through at all.
I'm with Chad. I think what made the album difficult for me was that each track on it was one or two ideas, and while there was some good stuff in there, none of those good ideas got much of a chance to shine before the next track started. Had the best bits been taken and Arjen made proper songs out of them (not 20-odd minute songs made up of a ton of tracks/ideas thrown at the wall), it might have become something that appealed to me more.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
I was having a bit of trouble with the mix and a deterioration in sound quality on the export of the podcast into mp3 but I seem to have resolved it.

Here is the new download link for Podcast #2

https://mega.nz/#!3JlDnQDa!UOpMmU4RrToZPSsFO6eLUXzfDi6l5yD15Cf2xWD2fJg

I am indexing them in the OP along with the Best of 1980's years (yet to get to Top Tens for bands) , but can't promise how long I will leave them up for.  I can always re-upload anyway if anyone wants me to.

Hopefully there's something in there for everyone - that's the plan  :metal

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Can I download it in mp3 format to my computer through that site?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Can I download it in mp3 format to my computer through that site?

The download is a zip/rar file which is pretty standard for albums etc......but seeing I have managed to mix all the separate tracks into one single mp3 file I suppose I could just avoid the zipping and just have it there as an mp3.

Anyway - this is what you should see from the link

Just click on "download through your browser" and it'll do the rest .  Save it to wherever , unzip (like I assume you do from your legit Siberian provider :lol ) and it should give you the mp3.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
How long is the audio? That's a huge file!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

Two and a half hours in 320kbps  - great value for money  :metal   I'm on a 100GB/month broadband plan so something like that wouldn't make a dent.   Now that you mention it I was hoping that the rar file creation would make the file smaller - that's why I did it  :-\

I'll try zip instead of rar and see what happens. 

Nope.........seems it's as compressed as it's going to get.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
New ARP song;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqa1EoSbOB4

Meh, it's not bad actually.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni

Two and a half hours in 320kbps  - great value for money  :metal   I'm on a 100GB/month broadband plan so something like that wouldn't make a dent.   Now that you mention it I was hoping that the rar file creation would make the file smaller - that's why I did it  :-\

I'll try zip instead of rar and see what happens.

Ok, that checks out. I'm just not used to podcasts being 320kb/s, they're usually 128kb/s due to length, and being predominantly speaking even when they include music.

I get 200gb a month (split between peak/off peak), but I download too many dents. :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Mine probably has a total of 10 mins talk - the more music and less of me the better .  No need to agree all at once :lol

And do I even need to click the ARP link ? - I think I can play it in my head without the link  :)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
It's not a mindblowing song, but it is slightly different to what he normally dishes up.

Downloaded the podcast, might have to wait til Sunday night though.