Author Topic: Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER  (Read 2775 times)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
Re: Pearl Jam Thread - New album DARK MATTER
« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2024, 10:07:31 AM »
Yeah the vocal melody in its chorus is just beyond addictive \m/

And lyrics go so well! Song writing perfection:

Somewhere there's a siren singin'
A song only he hears
All the strengths you might think
Would disappear resolvin'
One man stands alone awaitin'
For her to come home
Eyes upon
The horizon
In the dark before the ...

Early, but any idea yet where you might rank DM in their discography?

Did it earlier in the thread. Feel about the same. Tbh, there's nothing between the records in the middle lump of my rankings.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2024, 06:24:34 PM »
I find myself liking the album more and more with each listen. On the most recent listen I really appreciated Got to Give and Setting Sun a lot, aside from previous standout tracks I'm already loving. Surprised the reception seems fairly lukewarm (maybe thats Pearl Jam in general?) but it's a pretty great album IMO and you get some rockers you get some ballads and I'm curious what people are complaining about. I could easily pick out 4-5 genuinely great songs from this for a playlist and I feel like that rarely happens with bands who are 30 years into their careers.

Same.  Went in expecting to like the usual one or two tracks but like have said, pretty much love the lot.

Still not picking through the songs but always playing from the start so that's gotta say something.  The only track I'm not into is Something Special.  It doesn't suck but doesn't fit and IMO should've been relegated to bonus track.

Otherwise a wonderful album well above their last several for my ears.  Getting in a room together writing as a group with an inspiring producer was clearly what they needed and hopefully they continue that approach.

Honestly wish other bands would try do the same...

Offline WardySI

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2024, 07:36:53 PM »

Did it earlier in the thread. Feel about the same. Tbh, there's nothing between the records in the middle lump of my rankings.

Binaural, Gigaton and No Code are the PJ records I've never really connected with but they all have tracks I dig. I also love Nothing As It Seems.  I'm listin':

Ten
Backspacer
Vs
Lightning Bolt
Avocado
Yield
Dark Matter (bit early to place but hey)
Vitalogy
Lost Dogs
Riot Act

No Code
Binaural
Gigaton

Gotcha!

Good mix of new and old there.  Like I said aside from a few songs here and there am generally more drawn to their 90's output although always took issue with all the the filler nonsense on the likes of Vitaology etc (tbf most all the bands were doing that kinda shit back when clearly was the 'thing' to do)...

Anyway very early days and probably suffering some new car syndrome with DM but at the moment sorta leaning towards this...

Ten / Vs
Vs / Ten

Yield
Dark Matter
Vitalogy
Lost Dogs

Backspacer
Avocado
No Code
Lightning Bolt
Riot Act
Gigaton
Binaural

Ten and Vs keep flip flopping for me have always felt them back to back aces!

Regardless my gripes with Vitalogy's filler moments I find myself drawn to it the more the years pass.  And a few of their early B-sides are well up there too.  Breath and State Of Love And Trust from Singles soundtrack for example which would've been essentials for Lost Dogs although did make their Best Of double etc.  But yes good stuff...