Author Topic: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread  (Read 647374 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Game of Thrones (TV, fantasy) Thread
« Reply #2870 on: June 15, 2015, 01:47:28 PM »
Why cut the Riverlands storyline for this Dorne nonsense? If you wanted to include Dorne, why cut Arianne, who is, in my opinion one of the most interesting characters there, do a total 180 on Ellaria's motives, reduce Doran's lines and screentime to a minimum (fire and blood speech, anyone?), and include over-the-top cartoonish Sand Snakes (to be fair, I hated them in the book too, so there's consistency)

That's just it, having not read the book I have no idea which plot line is better or preferred or better adaptable. I just watch the choice of story as it unfolds and choose to take it or leave it. I can go back to the books and read and think 'Oh hey look some other plot lines' So I have a show version and a book version and can enjoy both.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2871 on: June 15, 2015, 08:01:08 PM »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2872 on: June 15, 2015, 11:39:45 PM »
It's nice to read all your guys thoughts and theories on the show. 

I don't want to say that was a great episode.  Frustrating, yes.  Extremely frustrating. 

Arya's part was my favourite, seriously.  That was some badass Cutty McStabstab.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2873 on: June 16, 2015, 01:08:42 AM »
Next season, on Two And A Half Men:

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #2874 on: June 16, 2015, 03:05:50 AM »
Wow, I got really, really pissed off at my screen when that final scene went black. F*ck you, showrunners, I said. A Big F*ck YOU! I don't care if all of castle black is overrun by White Walkers, Wargs, Weights, and every f'in troll in Westeros. Who cares? There's really no one left to care about anymore. Couldn't even watch the end credits after that.

Walk of shame was really well done, although I would have at least tried to grab that razor from that woman and stick it in her eye... one thing's for sure, people are going to suffer for that!

It's a hard show to love, is what I'm trying to say, I guess. But off course, I'll be back next season.

From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2875 on: June 16, 2015, 03:58:48 AM »
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2876 on: June 16, 2015, 05:33:15 AM »
I have friends that stopped watching after Red Wedding. I loved every second of that despite having characters I cared for. This last episode were no diffrent for me. There are no long lasting heroes or saints in GoT and nobody is safe including kings or leaders.

I was rooting for Jon though but I still had that itch that something was brewing.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2877 on: June 16, 2015, 05:51:53 AM »
There are quite a few reasons why I don't think Jon Snow's character is done. They might not weigh heavily individually but together I think they present a pretty solid case.  Correct me if there are any mistakes or any things I left out.

1. There is no way that we or Jon Snow himself doesn't find out his true parentage, especially considering that was the question that GRRM posed to D&D before giving them the rights to make the show.

2. Lady Melisandre has said in the show and book that when she looks into the fires and asks about Azor Ahai, she only sees snow.

3. In episode 8, he kills a White Walker with a Valryian Steel sword and the Night King takes a sudden interest in Jon Snow.

4. In the book, he says "Ghost" just before he "dies".  Some think this means he wargs into Ghost before it's too late.

5. Many believe Jon is the Song of Ice and Fire, being descended from both Starks and Targaryens. There is a big theory going around the Internet about a marriage many years ago between the Starks and an Other bride that created a truce between the men and Others. Men broke that truce and is the real reason why The Others are coming south.

6. There were three photos that leaked onto the Internet before the season finale. One was of Selyse Baratheon with the noose around her neck, one was Cersei with her short hair, and there were two of Jon Snow "dead." However one of the Jon Snow photos had his eyes warged which could line up with the book ending.  Some say that second photo of Jon was fake. However, it could also be that they decided not to show that part because they really wanted everyone to think he was truly dead.

7. Melisandre says that she looks in the fires and sees Bolton banners burning at Winterfell. Obviously that didn't happen with Stannis, so what if she brings back Jon and because he died he is free of his Night's Watch vows and is able to become Jon Stark and takes Winterfell from the Bolton's.  With what army you ask?  I was puzzled about that one too.  Then this morning I wondered what Tormund's reaction would be if he learned that the man who saved his people was killed by his own brothers, most of whom hated the wildings. Does he rally the wildlings to Jon's cause?

Just some thoughts.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2878 on: June 16, 2015, 06:21:42 AM »
Good thoughts and I'm sure it's in line with what several people believe. This gives me flashbacks to when theories on the show Lost were being posted all over the place, well even for True Detective for that matter. I can only think that it will ultimately lead to disappointment of sorts when expectations of any kinda aren't met. It's kinda the reason why I stopped speculating or read theories or anything. I just watch what comes and process it later. I feel I personally enjoy things a lot more that way. Doesn't mean I'm saying making theories is a bad thing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2879 on: June 16, 2015, 06:41:26 AM »
..and while we're speculating, if bringing people back to life is indeed what's in store for the show then I think they'll do that in season 7. I think next season will all be about getting Dani across the sea and deal with the remaining threads left from this season (Cersei's revenge on sparrow & dealing with Dorne/Bolton's reign challenged/search for Sansa&Theon/whatever the storyline with the Ironborn is/ The Knights watch fallout.., among other things)
My suspicion is that Bran and all the magic stuff might mostly be regulated to the last season.

I could be completely wrong which I probably will be.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2880 on: June 16, 2015, 07:11:25 AM »
Well, off course, Jon has warged before. So it seems logical to do it again. I think it's best to just wait and see what next season will bring.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2881 on: June 16, 2015, 08:00:49 AM »
What do you mean Jon has warged before? Are you talking about the show or book?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2882 on: June 16, 2015, 08:11:27 AM »
I don't remember offhand John warging.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2883 on: June 16, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
When did jon warg?

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2884 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:28 AM »
Sorry, my mistake, that was Bran....  :blush

Offline Cyclopssss

• Connoseur of love
« Reply #2885 on: June 16, 2015, 08:43:51 AM »
Yup, he´s dead....

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2886 on: June 16, 2015, 08:44:52 AM »
Well it was an eventful finale. Even though I knew most of what was coming, the death of Jon Snow here hit much harder than in the book. Though I am a bit  annoyed that Allister Thorne was behind it (I quite liked the idea that even though he was a dick and disagreed with Jon Snow he was willing to work with him - him killing Jon Snow can easily now be seen as part of that personal vendetta, although I think it probably was meant to be "For the watch" in his mind), and that it lingered so much on Olly stabbing him (I think the character was fine in season 4, he was extremely annoying in season 5 though). I suppose there aren't really any other Night's Watch characters other than Ser Allister to use, and better that it at least was clear that it was long standing members of the Night's Watch doing the deed than making it all about fucking Olly. Olly luring Jon Snow to be stabbed by the other Night's Watch members was actually good (or as good of their use of Olly was going to get), they should have just left it that rather than focusing so much on him stabbing him as well...

Possible spoilers from the books ahead, although I am only talking about the details that have already been done in the show or appear to have been changed.

Most annoying part about this finale was actually the fact that it was so similar to the end of the current books, which I don't think ended particularly strongly :lol: The Dorne storyline is unrecognisable, Brienne, Jaime and Sansa are far from their current status in the books because they were brought into other plots, but apart from that:

- Daenerys out in the wilderness with Drogon, gets confronted with a horde of Dothraki. Will they capture her? Kill her? Will Drogon try to roast them? Will they see the dragon and make her their leader? Don't know.
- Cersei completes Walk Of Shame and gets back to the Red Keep. She is still on trial for crimes by the faith, but may I introduce the newest member of the Kingsguard (perhaps news of Meryn Trant's death got back to KL pretty quickly in the show, or else the requirement for there to be seven Kingsgaurd are more just guidelines ;) ).
- Jon Snow. "For The Watch". Olly doesn't exist, Ser Allister Thorne is elsewhere, so it's Bowen Marsh and the rest of the generic Night's Watch extras that stab him, who knows how many times ("He never felt the fourth knife. Only the cold")

These are the biggest storylines across books 4 and 5, and for all three the last scene was the same as the last pages of the last chapter of each character. With the show deviating from and outpacing the books I wondered if I might get a little bit extra, but it's basically the same cliffhanger-ish ending from the books. Jon Snow's ending might seem like it is pretty firmly resolved, but as with when I read it in the books it just seems impossible for that to be the end of Jon Snow's story. In this case, him coming back is not just denial or a pipe dream - in the books with all the lore, foreshadowing and prophecy there is a lot of evidence for it, and GRRM has been pretty liberal with resurrections and fake-out deaths in the books (something the show has avoided so far). It makes sense in the story for Jon to come back, and I'd go as far as to say that it is just bad writing if GRRM is permanently killing off Jon Snow at this point. Seeing the interview with Kit Harrington where he says he is not returning next season is the first time I've been slightly worreid Jon Snow might be permanently dead, but I've got to think that's just misdirection to not give away what happens immediately.

As well as those stories we've got the battle of Winterfell which has not been resolved (at least on page) in the books, but Theon jumping off the wall with Jeyne Poole (fake Arya) is the ending of his last chapter in book 5. Book 5 also ends with Jon Snow recieving word that the Boltons won the battle of Winterfell, Stannis is dead, Ramsay is king of the world etc., as has happened in the show, but in the books the battle hasn't been shown so most readers think that this information was false. So the show is deviating (or going ahead of the books) with how that turned out, but basically the books end with the battle for Winterfell completely unresolved...

There's also stragglers in Meereen. Tyrion didn't meet Daenerys in the books yet, and in fact just escaped from being a slave towards the end of book 5. Things are different at Meereen because as well as the Sons of the Harpy killing people in the city, it is literally beseiged by an army from the various pro-slaver factions nearby. Tyrion looks to be aligning himself with a mercenary company (one of two Daenerys picked up at Yunkai, along witn the company led by Daario. In the show the mercenaries were condensed into one company led by Daario), who will fight in the battle of Meereen against the pro-slaver army. My guess is that after they win the battle Tyrion will find himself in a position of some authority to clean up the mess in Meereen while Daenerys is lost in the wilderness - roughly the same as what has happened in the show. Basically, as of the end of ADWD the overall situations in Winterfell and Meereen are unresolved clusterfucks, left that way not because it was a particularly good ending point but because the book had literally got too long so GRRM and his editors chopped off the battle at each city (sometimes known as the "Battle of Ice" and "Battle of Fire" in the fandom) and moved them to book 6.

This season had some great stuff in it, and some real flaws. Some of that's down to the events of book 4 and 5 just making for a weaker story than the earlier books, some of that's due to additions and changes of the show being worse (Dorne being the main offender here), and some of that, I think, is because it is ending essentially where the current books end, rather than in previous seasons where they were more free to end each storyline a little bit before or after the end of the same storyline in the books. But I remain very hopeful for the show going forward, most notably because of Hardhome - that was basically original material for the show, and it was one of the best parts of the entire series. To me that demonstrates that when it comes to the conflict against the White Walkers, the show can do its own thing and do it well, so as we get closer to the end we will hopefully see the simplified version of Martin's ever-sprawling political story get more focused on that.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2887 on: June 16, 2015, 08:59:49 AM »
Count me in on the team that says IF Jon Snow is dead it's just poor storytelling. Like RuRoRul and others have said....all the signs and foreshadowing of 'who' he is and his significance in the overall story....killing off his character for good, more than any other character....would be an utter travesty to the show/story and IMO would diminish the show/story. I get that GM and CO. like to keep things 'real' by consistently offing important characters....but a story HAS to have some glimmer of hope and pinning it soley on Dany and Tyrion at this point would be foolish IMO. Plus....I don't think Jon Snow was 'dead' per say in that last clip....dying yes, dead....ehh...

I'm sure Kit Harrington and Co. are obligated to throw as much misdirection to the situation as possible but sooner or later we will know for sure because they will begin filming for next season and there's no way IF he is indeed resurrected or whatever that they can keep him being on set a secret for an entire season of filming.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2888 on: June 16, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »
Some of these seem staged but a few are hilarious, esp at the end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2MrqQzi0A

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2889 on: June 16, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »
I'm not sure that Jon has ever warged with the degree of control that Bran can, but he has had the wolf dreams (in the books, because on the TV show they're like "hey, who needs all these boring dreams and prophecies and flashbacks") which is a sign of the ability. At least he should be able to chill out in Ghost's body for a bit while Melisandre gets him living again. We also know that if a warg's body dies while they are warging their consciousness will carry on in the host (like Varamyr Sixskins).

...my name is Araragi.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2890 on: June 16, 2015, 10:10:24 AM »
A lot happened in that finale, but as a book-reading fan of a certain pair of brothers the highlight for me was when this guy showed up:

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2891 on: June 16, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »
Franken-Mountain  :metal

Kill everybody

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2892 on: June 16, 2015, 10:57:29 AM »
So is he basically the GoT version of Bane? (90's Bane of course)

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2893 on: June 16, 2015, 11:08:57 AM »
I'm not sure that Jon has ever warged with the degree of control that Bran can, but he has had the wolf dreams (in the books, because on the TV show they're like "hey, who needs all these boring dreams and prophecies and flashbacks") which is a sign of the ability. At least he should be able to chill out in Ghost's body for a bit while Melisandre gets him living again. We also know that if a warg's body dies while they are warging their consciousness will carry on in the host (like Varamyr Sixskins).

Yeah, Jon is nowhere near Bran's level, but he definitely warged Ghost in the books, as did Arya with that cat and Nymeria.

In fact, (GRRM's words about the warging and Stark children below. Read at your own risk.)

At the Trinoc*Con 8 in August 2007 GRRM explicitly said that all the Stark children of this generation are full wargs, and they're not only able to warg their respective wolves, but can basically warg into anything. The difference in skill between Bran and other children is because "Bran is just the only one working on it".
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2894 on: June 16, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
Question I've been meaning to ask, is the flashback scene of Cersei at the beginning of season 5 in the books?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2895 on: June 16, 2015, 02:08:01 PM »
Question I've been meaning to ask, is the flashback scene of Cersei at the beginning of season 5 in the books?

It's not straight up flashback, it's told through Cersei remembering the event. But yes, it's there, and contains more information than what the series showed.

Yeah, Jon is nowhere near Bran's level, but he definitely warged Ghost in the books, as did Arya with that cat and Nymeria.

In fact, (GRRM's words about the warging and Stark children below. Read at your own risk.)

At the Trinoc*Con 8 in August 2007 GRRM explicitly said that all the Stark children of this generation are full wargs, and they're not only able to warg their respective wolves, but can basically warg into anything. The difference in skill between Bran and other children is because "Bran is just the only one working on it".

Yeah, even a warg as powerful as Sixskins said that the gift was very strong with Jon Snow, but that he was just untrained.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2896 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:51 PM »
Guess I'll small font just in case?

I can't help but think that the producers/Kit Harrington are actually telling the truth. Jon Snow is dead. But with the whole Melassandra....possible resurrection....Ahor Azib (or whatever the heck his name is) that she does bring him back to life and he's just proclaimed to be a different name in his re-birth. As I said earlier....if that or something along those lines happens....I don't see how they can keep it a secret the entire time they film season 6.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #2897 on: June 16, 2015, 04:01:17 PM »
Count me in on the team that says IF Jon Snow is dead it's just poor storytelling. Like RuRoRul and others have said....all the signs and foreshadowing of 'who' he is and his significance in the overall story....killing off his character for good, more than any other character....would be an utter travesty to the show/story and IMO would diminish the show/story.
Yep, this is kind of how I felt both after watching and reading it. There are other very main and important characters in the story but even if Daenerys or Tyrion were to be killed off quite abruptly at this point, it could still be fine. But with Jon Snow, it's different for two key reasons: you have the question of his parentage and the foreshadowing of that from the first book (which would probably be rendered pointless if he died) and the fact that he is basically the only major character at the Wall and trying to fight the Others / White Walkers, which has been built up as the main end game conflict. In the books, the only POV character at the Wall other than him is Melisandre (who had a single POV chapter), in the show you have Melisandre and Davos (plus Tormund, while not a POV character, is a fairly major personality in the show that I suppose could carry a storyline briefly). To basically leave the Wall and White Walker storyline unattended for who knows how long (especially after the Night's King scene in the show) would be awful, imo.

Other characters still have their own personal arcs to play out and may be key roles in the overall plot of the story, but the only other character I can think of that it'd be so pointless to kill off right now is maybe Bran - being the character we started the story with and just beginning to learn how to use the power that has been built up since the beginning of the story. But even Bran is very much in the periphery right now, while Jon Snow and the Night's Watch vs. White Walkers is so central.

I will add that this is the first major character death that has been right at the end of a season like this. Comparable deaths like Ned Stark or Robb and Catelyn Stark, the very next episode we got to see the reaction to them being dead. The only major character death I can think of that was in a season finale was Tywin, and he was pretty much an antagonist character, and his death was very much from the perspective of Tyrion killing him rather than from his perspective dying, we had the bells ringing as Tyrion fled the city, etc. This time a major character being attacked and killed by minor characters was the last scene at the end of a season. A character's death has rarely not been made final leaving us to wonder between seasons.

Edit: Forgot the Hound. Although once again, he wasn't the main character in the scene / storyline.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2898 on: June 16, 2015, 04:17:47 PM »
The hounds death is also left open

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2899 on: June 16, 2015, 05:13:32 PM »

It's not straight up flashback, it's told through Cersei remembering the event. But yes, it's there, and contains more information than what the series showed.

They left out the most important question in my opinion in the show.  She asks how she will die.  I believe the witch says she will be strangled by the Valonqar which in Valyrian means "younger brother".  So it's either Tyrion, Jaime, or symbolically The Hound if he is still alive and is used by The Faith as their champion in the trial by combat which is another theory circling the Internet.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2900 on: June 16, 2015, 10:30:27 PM »
And I think they also omitted Melara's (second girl) questions. She asks something along the lines "how / when will I die?" and the answer she gets is that her death is in this room right now. Cersei drowns her in the well later.

I don't think Cersei straight up asks how she will die, I seem to recall Valonqar stuff was a bonus part of the other answer. Could be wrong though, I don't remember this scene very well.

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #2901 on: June 17, 2015, 03:44:22 PM »
So is he basically the GoT version of Bane? (90's Bane of course)

I don't know enough about Bane to say for sure.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #2902 on: June 17, 2015, 08:21:28 PM »
I thought this was a pretty good roundup on where the books and show are compared to each other.
https://www.mtv.com/news/2187928/game-of-thrones-books/

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2903 on: June 17, 2015, 10:43:51 PM »
I thought Obara's exposition backstory was pretty clunky in the show, but I just re-read that chapter from AFFC the other day and honestly, it's just as clumsily delivered in the books.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2904 on: June 17, 2015, 11:02:42 PM »
Yeah, well, Sand Snakes weren't much better in the books. That's why the choice to cast them and cut Arianne baffles me. And honestly, they've got Alexander Siddig as Doran. I don't know why they're not giving him screentime at all.

As someone at westeros.org said, "they wanted to make Sand Snakes badass, but somehow made them bad pussies instead". :lol