Author Topic: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)  (Read 315594 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Mike Portnoy Appreciation/Discussion Thread (merged)
« Reply #3185 on: September 26, 2023, 09:33:04 AM »
i bet after the house closes and he moves in he gets possessed by BOB and tries to rejoin Dream Theater via force

Perhaps. Maybe Philip Gerard took possession of Rick Allen?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #3186 on: September 26, 2023, 09:49:12 AM »

TFW you just closed on your new home in Seattle
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #3187 on: September 26, 2023, 09:58:52 AM »
They credited him as being with DT?  Nice.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3188 on: September 26, 2023, 10:00:11 AM »
They credited him as being with DT?  Nice.

He’s not with DT.

He IS DT.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #3189 on: September 26, 2023, 10:04:22 AM »
Dream Theater is just the name of the movie theater he is installing in Sarah Palmer's room
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3190 on: September 26, 2023, 10:37:23 AM »

This only means one thing, MM is out and MP is coming back  :rollin

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3191 on: September 26, 2023, 10:57:04 AM »

This only means one thing, MM is out and MP is coming back  :rollin

1000% Confirmed. Someone let Blabbermouth know ASAP!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

« Reply #3192 on: September 26, 2023, 11:50:00 AM »
has anyone ever embarked on a pilgrim's path journey with mike portnoy's music? i've been thinking about this lately, and it sounds like quite the adventure. the idea is to listen to every single record he's been a part of, in chronological order, without taking any breaks. it's a musical pilgrimage of sorts, isn't it? starting with those early dream theater albums, like "when dream and day unite" and "images and words," and then moving through all the other projects and bands he's been involved with over the years. it would be a journey through different styles and genres, from progressive metal to rock to experimental stuff. i imagine it would take quite a bit of time to complete, but the idea of immersing yourself in mike portnoy's musical evolution is intriguing. you'd get to witness his drumming skills evolve, his songwriting develop, and the way he collaborates with different musicians change over time.

i heard a rumor that if you manage to complete the mike portnoy pilgrim path challenge, you can earn a nice piece of flair in the dream theater discord. it's like a badge of honor for dedicated fans. i wonder what that flair would look like.

anyway, just wanted to share this idea and see if anyone else has ever thought about doing something similar. it could be a truly epic musical journey.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3193 on: September 26, 2023, 12:08:02 PM »
It's crossed my mind before but honestly MP has been a part of too many bands that I have zero interest in listening to ever again.

« Reply #3194 on: September 26, 2023, 12:16:56 PM »
It's crossed my mind before but honestly MP has been a part of too many bands that I have zero interest in listening to ever again.

yeah..
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3195 on: September 26, 2023, 12:21:32 PM »
For example: BPMD - American Made. That atrocious cover album he did a few years ago. I was reminded of it's existence earlier, and I had forgotten how atrocious it was. Not the worst thing to happen in 2020, but it's up there. You couldn't pay me to listen to that again. Atrocious.

Offline HOF

« Reply #3196 on: September 26, 2023, 12:25:58 PM »
For example: BPMD - American Made. That atrocious cover album he did a few years ago. I was reminded of it's existence earlier, and I had forgotten how atrocious it was. Not the worst thing to happen in 2020, but it's up there. You couldn't pay me to listen to that again. Atrocious.

Had to look that one up, and yeah I remember it now but that was a totally forgettable project.

Offline The Great Ape

« Reply #3197 on: September 26, 2023, 12:29:06 PM »
has anyone ever embarked on a pilgrim's path journey with mike portnoy's music? i've been thinking about this lately, and it sounds like quite the adventure. the idea is to listen to every single record he's been a part of, in chronological order, without taking any breaks. it's a musical pilgrimage of sorts, isn't it? starting with those early dream theater albums, like "when dream and day unite" and "images and words," and then moving through all the other projects and bands he's been involved with over the years. it would be a journey through different styles and genres, from progressive metal to rock to experimental stuff. i imagine it would take quite a bit of time to complete, but the idea of immersing yourself in mike portnoy's musical evolution is intriguing. you'd get to witness his drumming skills evolve, his songwriting develop, and the way he collaborates with different musicians change over time.

i heard a rumor that if you manage to complete the mike portnoy pilgrim path challenge, you can earn a nice piece of flair in the dream theater discord. it's like a badge of honor for dedicated fans. i wonder what that flair would look like.

anyway, just wanted to share this idea and see if anyone else has ever thought about doing something similar. it could be a truly epic musical journey.

I've done this and honestly it blew my mind. Highly recommend it to anyone, members of the MP discord or not.

I will say, there was a lot to cover so I did have to speed things up a bit. A few of the albums I cranked the speed to 2x or even 4x just to get through them (sup, Neal Morse). But there were some where I actually took the speed down to like .25x and my dude, if you have never listened to The Winery Dogs at quarter speed, it freaking rocks. Like listening to a sludge album. I also found that I liked listening to Adrenaline Mob maaaaybe .05x faster that the speed the recordings were made at. Those albums didn't do much for me but I found they were a lot more exciting when I put a little sizzle on them.

BTW, another thing I found... slowing down the slower tracks often also gave them a real soulful vibe that hit me right in the feels. Stuff like "The Best of Times" as a ballad, for example. Check it out at .5 speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBrCBfAxBM8
"You know what? Enough is enough. There's enough hate in this world; there's enough frickin' negativity in this world" - James LaBrie

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3198 on: September 26, 2023, 01:06:12 PM »
What is an MP discord?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #3199 on: September 26, 2023, 01:10:21 PM »
a discord for MP, presumably. i'm not familiar with it but i know about the DT discord
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3200 on: September 26, 2023, 01:14:38 PM »
a discord for MP, presumably. i'm not familiar with it but i know about the DT discord

This is Tim. You’re going to have to explain “discord”.  :rollin ;D
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3201 on: September 26, 2023, 01:17:10 PM »

This is Tim. You’re going to have to explain “discord”.  :rollin ;D

I'm fairly sure this has been explained to Tim before too  :lol

« Reply #3202 on: September 26, 2023, 01:17:43 PM »
oooh sorry. i didn't realize that wasn't obvious lol

discord is an social media app. there are "discords" for various things (dream theater, zelda, porcupine tree, whatever) and you join them and they're basically the Millennial version of message boards (which are a relic of past ages and barely used anymore except by old gen xers and boomers). i am partial to message board style and don't really like the fast pace of discords so that's why i'm mostly here
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #3203 on: September 26, 2023, 03:04:35 PM »

I've done this and honestly it blew my mind. Highly recommend it to anyone, members of the MP discord or not.

I will say, there was a lot to cover so I did have to speed things up a bit. A few of the albums I cranked the speed to 2x or even 4x just to get through them (sup, Neal Morse). But there were some where I actually took the speed down to like .25x and my dude, if you have never listened to The Winery Dogs at quarter speed, it freaking rocks. Like listening to a sludge album. I also found that I liked listening to Adrenaline Mob maaaaybe .05x faster that the speed the recordings were made at. Those albums didn't do much for me but I found they were a lot more exciting when I put a little sizzle on them.

BTW, another thing I found... slowing down the slower tracks often also gave them a real soulful vibe that hit me right in the feels. Stuff like "The Best of Times" as a ballad, for example. Check it out at .5 speed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBrCBfAxBM8

There's an MP discord? I'm in the DT server but didn't realize there was an MP one.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3204 on: September 26, 2023, 11:04:10 PM »

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

« Reply #3205 on: September 27, 2023, 06:25:45 AM »

It’s a cool idea. According to Wiki, MP has been involved in over 50 albums. That’s just way too much and I probably won’t like a good amount of it. Some of it might even drive me psychosane. So I’ll pass. But let us know how it goes!

And listening to some things on double speed or whatever seems to miss the point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3206 on: September 27, 2023, 06:28:47 AM »

It’s a cool idea. According to Wiki, MP has been involved in over 50 albums. That’s just way too much and I probably won’t like a good amount of it. Some of it might even drive me psychosane. So I’ll pass. But let us know how it goes!

And listening to some things on double speed or whatever seems to miss the point.

:rollin

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3207 on: September 27, 2023, 06:55:13 AM »
Years ago I remember seeing someone made a pdf of all of MP's involvement in every project he played in. It was an insane and very thorough list of every album, track he played on. It was muthafuckin psychoinsane.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3208 on: September 27, 2023, 07:01:37 AM »
I'd like to see that list, I don't wanna listen to it, but I would like to see it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3209 on: September 27, 2023, 07:02:16 AM »
I'd like to see that list, I don't wanna listen to it, but I would like to see it.

I'd like to see it to, but I sure as hell wouldn't want to listen to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #3210 on: September 27, 2023, 07:07:40 AM »

I wanna see this list too, but I definitely don’t want to listen to it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3211 on: September 27, 2023, 07:15:35 AM »
Quite a lot on that list would be Neal Morse related, I'd wager.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3212 on: September 27, 2023, 07:25:03 AM »
Really disappointed with Mike Portnoy. When drummers I like are in town to perform a show I prefer they stay at the venue at all times and never leave the premises. I don't think I'll be able to view MP is the same light again.

HAHA.  :)  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3213 on: September 27, 2023, 07:27:55 AM »
That's crazy, I've lived my whole life here, and loved Twin Peaks in its original run. I've been to Snoqualmie Lodge (Great Northern Hotel) multiple times, driven by the Double R Diner, and had no idea Laura Palmer's house is... checking... 12.1 miles from where I live.

So did MP make an offer on your house?

That's so cool that Mike is buying Cool Chris' house.  I'm pumped, man!  Though I'm never buying anything he ever does again, ever.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3214 on: September 27, 2023, 07:30:47 AM »

I'm just doing quick math, but that seems low, doesn't it? Unless they're not counting live things.  Maybe then.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3215 on: September 27, 2023, 07:38:20 AM »
I'm pretty sure I have at least 50 live albums with MP playing on them. I have to one day sit down and put them all in a pile and take a pic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3216 on: September 27, 2023, 07:42:00 AM »

I mean, Wikipedia has a list

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Portnoy_discography#Albums_discography
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Adami

« Reply #3217 on: September 27, 2023, 07:56:33 AM »

I'm just doing quick math, but that seems low, doesn't it? Unless they're not counting live things.  Maybe then.

My bad, I should have specificied studio albums. Yea, wasn't counting any live stuff.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #3218 on: September 27, 2023, 08:05:25 AM »

Is that real early stuff even available?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3219 on: September 27, 2023, 08:07:32 AM »

Is that real early stuff even available?
Some is, at least  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7zxHMqMh_k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep8aK093KO4
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk