Author Topic: Westworld  (Read 75448 times)

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
Re: Westworld
« Reply #665 on: April 26, 2020, 08:16:15 PM »
Six would be amazing.

Tonight's episode - WOW. So much info to take from this I restarted it immediately to watch again. Chalores somehow has figured out how to repair her skin very quickly, and she's still in the picture. Caleb had quite the revelation. William had the best line of the episode when he told Stubbs and Bernard what he was gonna do.  :lol
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #666 on: April 26, 2020, 09:39:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm totally gonna have to watch this one again, so much going on. Such an intense episode though.

And yay!!! for finally getting the Delores V. Maeve matchup.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #667 on: April 26, 2020, 09:56:46 PM »
https://youtu.be/G6DnkpS5EhQ

That about sums it up.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online faizoff

« Reply #668 on: April 27, 2020, 06:27:12 AM »
Nice to see Clementine and Shogun Armistice. Would've been nice to see the armistice too. Action as usual was kinda ehh. And Adami's right, a ton of information unloaded in last night's episode. I think the true judgment of this seaon for me will be when doing a full rewatch. Right now I have an idea of some things but overall, I guess I'm still kinda not sure about the host vs humans fight.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #669 on: April 27, 2020, 08:58:47 AM »
I’m probably in the minority but I just don’t like Maeve. At least, what they’ve turned her in to. I dug her character for a while but by the end of last season I was kind of on the fence about her.....now I’m pretty firm in the camp of not liking her.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #670 on: April 27, 2020, 09:00:58 AM »
I’m probably in the minority but I just don’t like Maeve. At least, what they’ve turned her in to. I dug her character for a while but by the end of last season I was kind of on the fence about her.....now I’m pretty firm in the camp of not liking her.

I almost posted something similar earlier. I don't like Maeve and never really have. Her motivations suck. She's fighting for a kid she knows isn't actually hers and was entirely fabricated as one of her backstories, and she's so easily manipulated by both that dream and Serac that she's damning herself. Her arc this season hasn't made much sense to me although I've enjoyed some parts. It just feels like they're shoehorning a lot of her character into places without much justification.

Also, that fight scene between Dolores and Maeve gave me massive Kill Bill vibes. Visually it just looked so similar, except the one difference was Dolores had the handgun and Maeve had the sword :)
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Adami

« Reply #671 on: April 27, 2020, 09:02:35 AM »

I get that. I still like Maeve because I loved her the last 2 seasons and I just really like Thandie Newton. But you're right about her character now, kind of. I honestly don't get her character (or most others) this season. Everyone is kind of either all over the place or in the dark to us. Maeve is driven to protect her daughter I guess? And is being kind of controlled by Frenchy? And now Dolores wants to save humanity? I dunno. The character motivations became extremely muddled and confusing in the past episode.

Right now I'm mostly invested in Bernard and Ashley,  and I can't even properly explain why. I just like their characters.

But yea, as much as I like this season thus far, the last episode really made things confusing and not really in a good way.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #672 on: April 27, 2020, 10:00:57 AM »
I still like Maeve because I loved her the last 2 seasons and I just really like Thandie Newton. But you're right about her character now, kind of. I honestly don't get her character (or most others) this season. Everyone is kind of either all over the place or in the dark to us. Maeve is driven to protect her daughter I guess? And is being kind of controlled by Frenchy? And now Dolores wants to save humanity? I dunno. The character motivations became extremely muddled and confusing in the past episode.

Exactly. Suddenly Dolores wants to 'save' humanity? I know she'd been cryptic about her revolution and all but for the better part of a season and a half it's been all about 'her people' and taking it to those (humanity) who created and abused them. I get that Maeve can be mad a Dolores for killing Hector....but she was firmly team Serac before that happened. In fact, it only happened because she was team Serac. So, it's her fault Dolores killed him in all actuality. Aside from that.....I just don't get what they've turned Maeve into.

I'm still curious about Bernard....such a small role this season but yet it is intriguing. And, William has been pretty neat to watch. Although I read that Ed Harris really didn't like the character this season. He stated he signed on to play 'the man in black'....and didn't like what they have him doing. I couldn't tell. He seems to be playing the character perfectly.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: April 27, 2020, 01:19:17 PM »
^^ Same. If he really isn't a fan, then he's still very professional because he comes off very convincing to me. I personally love what they're doing with his character.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: April 27, 2020, 01:41:44 PM »
^^ Same. If he really isn't a fan, then he's still very professional because he comes off very convincing to me. I personally love what they're doing with his character.

I’ll try to find the article again. He said he’s still paid to do his part and play the character as they tell I’m but it’s just not interesting to him. Sign of a true pro because he’s been spot on.

Online Adami

« Reply #675 on: April 27, 2020, 01:44:36 PM »
Yea, I heard about that too. Happens more often than we think. But as you've said, he's a professional and will do the best job he can no matter what. And I doubt he's hating it, just probably isn't as interested in the character anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #676 on: April 27, 2020, 03:10:54 PM »
Yea, I heard about that too. Happens more often than we think. But as you've said, he's a professional and will do the best job he can no matter what. And I doubt he's hating it, just probably isn't as interested in the character anymore.

That’s my impression. He signed up to play this mysterious, rough and tumble bad a$$ Cowboy which he’s not doing this season

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #677 on: April 28, 2020, 02:06:54 PM »
So... where did Clementine and Hanaryo drag Musashilores after Hanaryo can-opener'd his midsection?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #678 on: April 28, 2020, 03:33:44 PM »

That’s my impression. He signed up to play this mysterious, rough and tumble bad a$$ Cowboy which he’s not doing this season
I read that article and one thing he said was that he doesn't know his full backstory, motivations, etc. as the writers keep it from everyone, which it seems is part of why he's not feeling invested in the complexities of his character.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: April 28, 2020, 05:35:27 PM »
So... where did Clementine and Hanaryo drag Musashilores after Hanaryo can-opener'd his midsection?

To make out. It’s Bonus  Blue Ray material.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #680 on: April 29, 2020, 10:50:37 PM »
 :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: May 03, 2020, 08:40:26 PM »

Feeling a little ill this evening but powered through the episode. For some reason this was the first time I've had trouble watching a live episode on my Roku TV; it was constantly buffering until I selected the HBO live east coast option for some reason.

And that post-credits had me standing up yelling at the TV. It's gonna be another agonizing wait for the next season. Ohhh man...

Online Adami

« Reply #682 on: May 03, 2020, 08:58:56 PM »
Daaaaaamn. More thoughts tomorrow.

Hope next season starts with Bernard looking left.  :lol :lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: May 03, 2020, 09:00:32 PM »
Daaaaaamn. More thoughts tomorrow.

Hope next season starts with Bernard looking left.  :lol :lol

:rollin

We never got the biggest question answered: what happened to the dog Chalores stole?! Did she just let it go, or did she bring it back to her apartment where it's gonna starve?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 09:20:54 PM by Kattelox »

Online faizoff

« Reply #684 on: May 03, 2020, 09:49:00 PM »
I... am not sure what to feel or care about after that finale...

I really need to rewatch this season, lot of trouble keeping track of character motivations. They flip flop around so much.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #685 on: May 03, 2020, 10:37:08 PM »
Could someone come over here and pick my jaw up off the floor please?

Seriously, that was some outstanding TV. The scene with Bernard and his wife, and the scene in the field with Delores and Maeve were fucking perfection.

Those post credits though :o

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #686 on: May 03, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »
Could someone come over here and pick my jaw up off the floor please?

Seriously, that was some outstanding TV. The scene with Bernard and his wife, and the scene in the field with Delores and Maeve were fucking perfection.

Those post credits though :o

Pretty much this.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #687 on: May 04, 2020, 06:19:38 AM »
I went from hating this season three episodes ago to loving how it turned out.

However, controversial opinion... I honestly can't stand Maeve. I don't get the whole daughter obsession. She was basically god at one point. Why doesn't she understand yet that her daughter was just as fake as everything else in the world? What am I not getting? How is that still her main drive after all this?

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: May 04, 2020, 07:11:18 AM »
I went from hating this season three episodes ago to loving how it turned out.

However, controversial opinion... I honestly can't stand Maeve. I don't get the whole daughter obsession. She was basically god at one point. Why doesn't she understand yet that her daughter was just as fake as everything else in the world? What am I not getting? How is that still her main drive after all this?

I’m on board with Maeve....said the same thing a few posts ago. I don’t get the ‘daughter’ thing because they never developed that in the show. It was a few scenes of ‘by the way we programmed you to love a daughter’ And I bought Dolores’ transformation into a killer. I didn’t buy Maeves.

Online Adami

« Reply #689 on: May 04, 2020, 07:15:22 AM »
Yea, it's a pretty weak motivation. I feel like this season (while still mostly good) was more focused on what happens than why it happened. Motivations all around were either very weak or all over the place or completely lacking. Still enjoyed it (except the 2nd to last episode which was basically just 60 min of exposition) but it's a bit thin and lacking depth.

Also, can we take a minute and praise Jeffrey Wright? So amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #690 on: May 04, 2020, 07:54:00 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong... trying to sort out where everybody is right now.

Maeve, Caleb: chilling to Pink Floyd at the skyscraper fireworks show

Dolores Dolores: dead/comatose/vegetable with all memories wiped

Charlores: Dubai, big supervillain energy

Lawrence: is he another Dolores copy? I took all those explosives in the van as a hint that he's the one who started the building explosions at the very last shot of the episode

Hanaryo, Clementine: MIA? Working for Charlores now, centered out of Dubai's Delos building.

Musashilores: Got got, I assume he's either dead in a gutter or Clem and Hanaryo dragged his can-opener'd body back to Dubai so Charlores can wipe and re-program him

Marshawn Lynch: RIP, but had one last awesome moment by catching the canister and launching it back

Stubbs: RIP? Bernard said he was gonna patch him up "after I talk to Dolores" but uhhh...  :lol

Bernard: In the Sublime?

William: Did not save the fucking world, got got, that's what he gets for beating Jimmi Simpson to death with a fold-up chair, RIP though

Sizemore, Hector, Elsie, Ford, etc.: never ever coming back, apparently.

Solomon & Rehoboam: Gone forever? Boy that cold storage room with all the bodies around Solomon is really gonna stink...

Serac: Dead? Not dead? He said he 'needed help' and we never actually saw him die. Don't know where he went, but I am not gonna count him out... just not sure how he could come back with any meaningful impact.

Also, I hope season 4 takes us back to the Westworld park. I want to see what a completely broken down park looks like now, with hosts running amok. We haven't seen any of it this season but at the end of season 2 they hinted that there is still stuff to see...

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #691 on: May 04, 2020, 08:12:07 AM »

Aren't there two versions of Dolores right now? There's one-armed Dolores who got shot, and then there's the less-organic, older, carbon fiber skeleton version that fought Maeve. I got kind of lost, but I thought the one-armed version was the one who had her memory wiped. There's still the version that Caleb found behind that locked door.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: May 04, 2020, 08:17:53 AM »

Aren't there two versions of Dolores right now? There's one-armed Dolores who got shot, and then there's the less-organic, older, carbon fiber skeleton version that fought Maeve. I got kind of lost, but I thought the one-armed version was the one who had her memory wiped. There's still the version that Caleb found behind that locked door.

Caleb took the pearl out of the Dolores at the facility where she EMP'd herself, Maeve, and Solomon. During the Maeve fight, Charlores somehow remotely disabled the new Dolores, and Maeve brought that Dolores - the one where Caleb put the old Dolores's pearl into, the one he freed from the chest - to Serac. Serac took that Dolores because she had the pearl and he thought the key to the Sublime was in her pearl, but she put it in Bernard instead.

But after writing that, I have no idea what happened to the original Dolores body, or how Maeve got brought back. I assume Serac did it, but how, and what happened to the first Dolores body?

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #693 on: May 04, 2020, 08:27:13 AM »
Thanks for explaining guys, now I'm totally fucking confused again. :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #694 on: May 04, 2020, 09:11:41 AM »
That last scene with William was in Dubai?

Huh. I was wondering why it seemed so free of chaos and riots.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #695 on: May 04, 2020, 09:17:12 AM »
That last scene with William was in Dubai?

Huh. I was wondering why it seemed so free of chaos and riots.

When William walks up to the facility the plaque outside says, "Delos International - Dubai" with "Welcome" written in English and Arabic to the right. :) That also explains the promo poster for the season, with the dying host (Dolores? look at the very small bit of blue fabric on the frame) in the sand with the Burj Khalifa in the background.

Online Adami

« Reply #696 on: May 04, 2020, 09:20:53 AM »
I saw the welcome in Arabic, but just assumed it was cause of the future global market haha. Missed when it said Dubai.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #697 on: May 04, 2020, 09:27:45 AM »
I kind of wish when he saw himself walk out from the back room he would've said, "... shit" like he did in the post-credits cliffhanger for season 2 haha.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: May 07, 2020, 10:14:44 AM »
Some legend on Reddit has come up with a completely bonkers awesome theory about how season 3 laid out all the pieces for Mirrorworld. I'm going to watch season 3 again with all of this info on hand and hopefully I can better understand it. Whether it'll gel with season 4 when they start making that or not remains to be seen but regardless this is why WW is my favorite show. It makes me think like no other show does.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/gf0pft/the_atlas_of_rehoboam_divergence_maps_is_a_cypher/

And then there's this quote from episode 3 this season, by Dolores... "“Every aspect of your lives recorded and logged in order to create a mirror world of this world,”  :eek
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 10:24:34 AM by Kattelox »

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #699 on: May 07, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »
Some legend on Reddit has come up with a completely bonkers awesome theory about how season 3 laid out all the pieces for Mirrorworld. I'm going to watch season 3 again with all of this info on hand and hopefully I can better understand it. Whether it'll gel with season 4 when they start making that or not remains to be seen but regardless this is why WW is my favorite show. It makes me think like no other show does.

https://www.reddit.com/r/westworld/comments/gf0pft/the_atlas_of_rehoboam_divergence_maps_is_a_cypher/

And then there's this quote from episode 3 this season, by Dolores... "“Every aspect of your lives recorded and logged in order to create a mirror world of this world,”  :eek

Good Lord that's a lot of work  :lol    Really cool revelation and idea.....just REALLY thick and detailed. I'm not sure the 'average' viewer can/would/could/wants to get that in the weeds though. It's a lot to digest and comprehend. I mean, it's a show that has many layers but THAT hypothesis is real in depth. I love it.....but, can they lay it out for 'Joe Shmo' to understand?