Author Topic: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (The End (not the band))  (Read 39146 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 0 Tidbits)
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2018, 12:53:29 PM »
Forgot I sent an album, oops  :lol
But yeah most of the snippets sound fitting to my album dunno

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »
All of these seem fitting to my song, damn :lol

You only sent one song? :neverusethis:
He sent Dopesmoker.
Probably The Sacrilege of Fatal Arms.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2018, 06:08:01 PM »
If someone is sending Devil Doll, I'd hope they'd send their best, The Girl Who Was... Death.

20 minute section of silence notwithstanding.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2018, 06:19:09 PM »
pretty sure i'd hate devil doll but you should've joined and sent them  :P

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
I think we established that we're not compatible musically in your last roulette. :lol

You can still listen to Devil Doll if you want, though.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2018, 08:23:16 PM »
the last time you played in one of my roulettes was three years ago  :lol
and iirc the experience of that roulette was that you sent some weird stuff for half the roulette and then a lot of really cool stuff in the second half of the roulette, so

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #216 on: May 27, 2018, 02:04:36 AM »
ALRIGHT BOYS it's 1 AM I've done two listens to everything let's save some people. I'm gonna post round winner tomorrow and try to finish results by Monday since it's a long weekend for me, round winner was absolutely no contest since there's one album I dig way more than any others here but there was some good stuff besides, for example.

---------------------

I have no clue if you actually like this album yourself but I have to figure that to at least some extent you must have to, or you've at least, like, listened all the way through it. And it's definitely pretty up my alley as far as death metal goes, a generally more melodic edge to a lot of the tracks that works in its favor. It also helps that there's a lot of cooldown shorter tracks to keep the overall album from feeling too exhausting. Though there's definitely some issues - I don't like that ambient track at all, especially with the friggin' screaming, and the production really shows its limits on the heavier moments. Still, this was one of the more interesting and diverse records of the round and I'll probably still give it another spin to see if I'm really interested in following through with a purchase.

Evermind with Goddess of Fate – The Spiral Orchard, Pt. 1, you're safe for the round.

---------------------

This was the longest of the round and probably the album I feel I have the least grasp of in general, but at the same time it's too stylistically up my alley for me to not enjoy, even if I feel the songwriting is a little rough around the edges, and that they seem to do better with the shorter cuts than the longer ones throughout the first half of the album. I'm also not suuuuper into the vocals but I have stronger complaints about the vocals on at least two other albums here so in the end it's not even that big of a deal. Another one where I still don't feel I have great grasp on things and I get the sense that this is a lot like Dvne's Asheran in that the style is very much my thing but the album would lack diversity enough to keep me interested in wanting to revisit. Still solid stuff though, just didn't blow me away.

Train of Naught with Sleepers Awake – Transcension, unsurprisingly, clears my prelim round yet again.

---------------------

Rankings so far (subject to change):
1. Goddess of Fate - The Spiral Orchard, Pt. 1
2. Sleepers Awake – Transcension

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #217 on: May 27, 2018, 02:07:26 AM »
or you've at least, like, listened all the way through it.
:lol :lol
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 0 First Saves)
« Reply #218 on: May 27, 2018, 02:55:52 AM »
Yeah, I found that to be funny too.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: May 27, 2018, 03:20:31 AM »
Hey Dennis :hifive:

Just like that, I outlived three people in this roulette already. Loading my death metal gun for the next round. Don't forget guys, last time I lost only because I sent a power metal EP on purpose, and I won't do it this time. :biggrin:

I really like acoustic elements on that album. The melody in Aromantic pt. 1 / Bipolar Elixir is pretty great.

Yeah, I found that to be funny too.

What? Of course I listened to the album. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #220 on: May 27, 2018, 03:29:01 AM »
hey

Oh and with Evermind's consent I'm now able to share this

I basically went through my promo box and picked some death metal albums for him based on descriptions. I couldn't even finish the one I sent. :lol
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 03:36:15 AM by Train of Naught »
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: May 27, 2018, 03:42:07 AM »

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #222 on: May 27, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »
Wow :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: May 27, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
Damnit you're making me nervous  :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #224 on: May 27, 2018, 09:34:11 AM »
hey

I basically went through my promo box and picked some death metal albums for him based on descriptions. I couldn't even finish the one I sent. :lol
Well this is a really lame way to play a roulette but technically I can't stop you
Odds are you're gonna send something awful and get rule 6'd this way anyways so it's not really my problem

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: May 27, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Anyways let's do this, too;

---------------------

I mean, this one probably isn't a surprise given some of the other bands I really dig, but nonetheless I wasn't completely sold on this one until about track 5 of my first listen. It's a great mix of fun, upbeat metal and a decent but not obfuscating level of technicality and diversity so the songs remain memorable and catchy but also mostly have their own identities as well. Basically exactly what I'm looking for in this style of music. I think this is the only album this round it's pretty safe to say I'm interested in checking out further and that makes it an easy round winner.

ariich with Closure in Moscow – First Temple, welome to the cool kids' club from hell.

---------------------

1. Closure in Moscow - First Temple
2. Goddess of Fate - The Spiral Orchard, Pt. 1
3. Sleepers Awake – Transcension

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: May 27, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
hey

Well this is a really lame way to play a roulette but technically I can't stop you
Odds are you're gonna send something awful and get rule 6'd this way anyways so it's not really my problem

Don't worry, man. I did actually finish this album, several times too, and while I wasn't too fond of growls/shrieks, I really liked the acoustic parts and guitar solos. Limbo sucks, but otherwise, acoustic stuff was really great and good contrast to death metal which I didn't much care of. The "in confusing anger" part is still stuck in my head.

My goal here is to create as much mindfuck as possible, and it seems I've succeeded so far. I don't want anyone to know my strategy here. :lol

The thing about all albums being from my promo box also isn't true. I had October Falls on my list, and my next album is actually from 2016, and from the band that I've actually seen live.

So don't worry, I'm not going to send you utter crap based on descriptions. I'd like some people to think that I would do that, but I have far too much respect to anyone hosting the roulette to know better than do it. I'm going to hit you with quality stuff - well, at least I think that's quality stuff.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: May 27, 2018, 10:10:25 AM »
yeah i did dig the acoustic tracks esp. with the second one reprising but not really being a retread of the first one
i'm blaming train for lying to me then tbh  :corn

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: May 27, 2018, 10:13:02 AM »
I did send this exact message to Train, to be honest. I'm mostly fucking with all of you guys in this roulette. :lol

I'm dead serious on the albums I send though. I may not like growls, but any album I send you is the one I like in some measure.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #229 on: May 27, 2018, 10:31:55 AM »
I did send this exact message to Train, to be honest. I'm mostly fucking with all of you guys in this roulette. :lol

I'm dead serious on the albums I send though. I may not like growls, but any album I send you is the one I like in some measure.
I'm going to have to watch out for you going forward in this roulette  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #230 on: May 27, 2018, 02:43:17 PM »
Oh awesome, really glad you liked it! I was pretty sure you'd at least find it decent but definitely wasn't expecting a round win.

I'll start thinking about round 1 now. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: May 28, 2018, 08:27:38 AM »
End my suffering pls

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #232 on: May 28, 2018, 09:13:39 AM »
I haven't even started my third listen yet lol
I'm not gonna finish today because I don't wanna spend literally all of my day off listening to 6/10 albums at best

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: May 28, 2018, 10:09:44 AM »
I haven't even started my third listen yet lol
I'm not gonna finish today because I don't wanna spend literally all of my day off listening to 6/10 albums at best
:rollin :rollin :rollin
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2018, 01:34:13 AM »
yo how about instead of saving someone i eliminate an album that has been consistently one of my least faves? yeah, let's do that

---------------------

This one frustrates me at least a little because in the first few tracks, I can kind of see the appeal. Mojave in particular does actually have a sense of buildup and progression and does resonate a little. But then every single track after that point is just a complete snoozefest, and Dhol Dogs in particular is easily one of my least favorite tracks of the entire round, that one is just annoying. But yeah, when an entire 35+ minutes of an album bores me to tears and just feels like slightly unique background music, I really cannot find it in me to be too interested. I'm honestly surprised I made it through this album all three times at all. I guess I expected it to get better on relistens, but that just did not happen.

Bolsters with Afro Celt Sound System – Anatomic, sorry, but looks like you're not winning my roulette two times in a row. Or even qualifying. Oops.

----------
4. Afro Celt Sound System - Anatomic

will try to finish this up tomorrow. i have a pretty good idea of at least one person who isn't getting cut but need to relisten to the last few albums to decide for sure

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Parama's Disastrous Roulette v3 (Round 0 First ELIMINATION)
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2018, 02:09:04 AM »
Just give me a sweet relief of elimination, don't torture me anymore :'(
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2018, 03:55:37 AM »
I really like the word 'snoozefest', especially when linked to music.
Squ

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2018, 06:59:44 AM »
Figures.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: May 29, 2018, 11:59:31 PM »
Gonna do another save and another elim and try and finish tomorrow. I'm uncertain which of the last three I want to cut because they all have their strengths and issues but I am much more certain about the two below.
----------
So this is a pretty safe entry and at first I was worried it would be too safe for me to really get into. And it's not without its flaws - the production on the guitars isn't great and gives them this really crunchy sound that crushes any power or melody out of the riffs, the album doesn't take advantage of the natural end point created by Voices From Heaven and instead goes on two songs longer afterwards (though both songs are fine). I think there are some good instrumental moments too, when the vocals drop out for those instrumental breaks most songs have. I think what makes this work though is that there definitely is some emotional resonance, though it's kind of wavering on a few tracks, but especially the combo of Light/Voices From Heaven towards the middle (the latter reprising the former for its outro) works particularly well and both the intro and outro track bookend the album well with some of the same vibes. I ended up liking this more than I expected, may even like it more than two of the albums I saved prior at this point (would need to relisten to them to decide for sure, which I probably will do), but yeah, solid stuff.

TAC with Thoughts Factory – Lost, you're through to the roulette proper.

On the other hand...
----------
I think this album is the only one in the entire round I liked less with each subsequent listen. At first I was just kinda like, "yeah, this is an okay and unique style but the vocals blow". And then the production started to grate on me - sure, this album is 20 years old, but that doesn't excuse production this horrendously clipped, any intense moment basically fades into a wall of Harsh Noise™ and the guitar tone in general isn't great. Maybe it fits in with the industrial aesthetic but, compared to other industrial metal-ish acts like Khonsu it doesn't sound good at all. And the songwriting, all these songs jump around haphazardly with no cohesion or grounding point, they just ramble on and then end. And the piano interludes, there's already a ton of piano on the rest of the songs, why are there these three interlude tracks that only seem to exist to break up any sense of flow the album could've had? The first one isn't very good either, but the second two are solid. And to top it all off I just don't find any part of this memorable. The riffs aren't particularly inspired, there's occasionally a decent groove going but it's nothing that special, the "weirdness" they incorporate into the songs feels forced and never amounts to much. In the end it basically just feels like a bootlegged version of Arcturus' The Sham Mirrors, an album I already am not too keen on. The guys in this band must've pissed themselves hard when that album came out and completely invalidated any remaining reason this album had to exist, honestly. I did not get much out of this album at all and would easily call it my least favorite of the round, because as dull as I found that Afro Celt Sound System album half the time, it at least didn't actively annoy me and it had at least a few songs I liked. This is just a void of anything remotely interesting or compelling. I get why you'd send it but boy it's just not for me at all.

LordCost with Dødheimsgard – 666 International, sorry but you just seem absolutely cursed to have one dud round in all of my roulettes and it looks like it came early this time.

4. Thoughts Factory - Lost
----------
5. Afro Celt Sound System - Anatomic
6. Dødheimsgard – 666 International

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I did not get much out of this album at all and would easily call it my least favorite of the round, because as dull as I found that Afro Celt Sound System album half the time, it at least didn't actively annoy me and it had at least a few songs I liked. This is just a void of anything remotely interesting or compelling.

Damn, that's harsh :lol
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
I ain't mincing words, if I think something sucks I'll tell you it sucks.

See:
Slint
SGM
Cardiacs

in my previous roulettes  :P (the lordcost curse)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
I hope you won't hate the album I'm sending you.
Squ

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
same
it's more fun when you get 8 good albums and have to suffer eliminating the weakest of them even tho it's still good

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
Don't think you'll have to worry about only getting good albums as long as I am in the roulette

With that said, sent some melodic/sludge/post/death/gaze/metal/core/black/hop

Offline Tomislav95

sludgy gaze maze pop hop is my favorite genre :metal
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...