Author Topic: MP + CD; Conceivable?  (Read 3644 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: MP + CD; Conceivable?
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
I actually thought the Sabian thing was remarkably disappointing, given the lineup. Playing Hell's Kitchen and LITS was pretty meh.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2012, 05:29:01 PM »
I actually thought the Sabian thing was remarkably disappointing, given the lineup. Playing Hell's Kitchen and LITS was pretty meh.

rumborak
I liked the HK version they did, save of some guitar-blasphemy (you don't just change those parts in my fave DT instrumental and expect me not to come after you, even though I'm usually a rational person who thinks nothing is sacred and everything can be twisted). LITS doesn't work as an instrumental, yes.

What I'd want from that project would go beyond covers, though. Maybe it would just sound like a "regular" Planet X/Derek solo album with MP drumming (and therefore, not very different from what DS has done post-DT), but I'd like it nonetheless.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »
Well, getting too close to what PlanetX does would not be wise, because then MP's shortcomings would just be brutally visible.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2012, 02:40:01 PM »
Other than pleasing the old-school die hards, MP would have nothing at all to gain by teaming w/ CD. It would be a few steps backward.

It would be cool, however, if MP hooked up w/ Derek Sherinian...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2012, 05:40:27 PM »
Other than pleasing the old-school die hards, MP would have nothing at all to gain by teaming w/ CD. It would be a few steps backward.

I don't see how it would please old fans, the first album is just generally not very appreciated in the spectrum of DT's music.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MetropolisWatches

• I&W/Awake/SFAM/6 Degrees
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2012, 06:43:39 PM »
Just thinking about a MP/CD collaboration is so painful and bizarre to comprehend.

Offline Pelata

• Extremus Melodicus
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 12:33:12 PM »

I don't see how it would please old fans, the first album is just generally not very appreciated in the spectrum of DT's music.

Worded differently, the older fans who still hold WDADU as a high water mark (like some people I know do) would be the only ones remotely into it, I would imagine...and that's a small number. It would serve no purpose to MPs career...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 12:46:07 PM »
I am one of those people who loves WDaDU, but frankly while I really do like Charlie, and while MP's playing on it is fantastic, neither is the reason I love that album. Simply put I love that album because the style of songwriting and playing on it is more energetic and original than potentially anything they've done since, and I accredit that to the young writing of Petrucci, Myung, and Moore. And frankly if MP and CD got together now I think they might come up with some great stuff, but it will never be as special as that album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »
Uh...ship has sailed?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »
Charlie and Mike eh? Hmmm. So if you take them as they are right now, you'd have to have a story that mixes aliens, with the destruction of earth with a guy who is constantly trying to show how "cool" he is when he's really not cool at all.

Imagine that, an album about an insecure alien that tries to destroy earth and wants everyone to see how cool he is.

Sadly that has already been done.

fanticide.bandcamp.com