Author Topic: 2014 - DT anniversary year  (Read 4704 times)

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
2014 - DT anniversary year
« on: December 11, 2013, 03:26:09 AM »
2014 will be a big year for significant anniversaries of Dream Theater albums. Five of them, no less.

5 years since Black Clouds & Silver Linings (2009)
10 years since Live at Budokan (2004)
15 years since Scenes from a Memory (1999)
20 years since Awake (1994)
25 years since When Dream and Day Unite (1989)

:eek  :metal

Offline Sycsa

Re: 2014 - DT anniversary year
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 03:34:12 AM »
I think it's time they played:
- The Shattered Fortress
- Instrumedley II
- SDV (as in Space-Dye Vest, although I easily prefer Strange Déjá-Vu)

Even though it might be a good opportunity, I don't think they'll play with MP before the 30th anniversary.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Ad134

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »
- The Shattered Fortress
- Instrumedley II

Even though it might be a good opportunity, I don't think they'll play with MP before the 30th anniversary.
I'm pretty sure they're never going to do another live medley again (JP stated his dislike of medleys in the DTF interview).

Please, please, please give us a full performance of Awake.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 03:58:14 AM »
I don't think they'll play The Shattered Fortress, because it relies too much on the other 12SS songs, and as it's so personal to MP (much more so than any other songs he wrote), it would be weird.

In my opinion, of course.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:33:12 AM »
All of them are longs shots, obviously, but if they were ever going to play them, this is the best opportunity.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 07:12:13 AM »
- The Shattered Fortress
- Instrumedley II

I'm pretty sure they're never going to do another live medley again (JP stated his dislike of medleys in the DTF interview).

Please, please, please give us a full performance of Awake.

That would be way too difficult for James at this point.

Also, minor quibble, the 5-yr anniversary of SC is not significant at all.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 07:17:41 AM »
Neither is the budokan anniversary.

Id think there would be a decent amount of awake songs on the next tour and maybe a song from wdadu. They played two already with MM, maybe those two cone back up but id like to see some of the other songs.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »

Also, minor quibble, the 5-yr anniversary of SC is not significant at all.

I think you mean BC&SL

Neither is the budokan anniversary.

Yes I know, but they're still anniversaries of album releases. Just pointing them out, is all. Whether they're celebrated in any way shape or form (nothing wrong with giving them a spin on their "big day") is, of course, entirely up to you.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 11:08:38 AM »
This kind of goes to demonstrate the startling regularity with which DT come out with new albums. Every year will be the anniversary of something.

I really hope they don't go crazy with the anniversary thing. I know they've alluded to doing a little special something already but I just hope it doesn't detract too much from the "here and now" DT.

I personally think if anything, they'll be giving some extra recognition to Awake and SFAM. And by that I mean, incorporate a select few songs into the Evening With setlist, and not necessarily in sequence. They've already teased the return of SDV (at some point - I think).

I don't know, I just feel that the days in which they would play past albums in their entirety are long gone. But I would love to be proved wrong when I go to see them in Feb!  :biggrin:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »
I agree. I see the anniversary nod being maybe a few extra songs than normal from those albums. Definitely not a whole album live thing. Although I wouldn't mind all of DT12 on this coming tour but I believe that isn't happening.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Although I wouldn't mind all of DT12 on this coming tour but I believe that isn't happening.

Well, they managed to get all of ADTOE (a longer album) on the last tour, and that wasn't an "Evening With" tour.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »
Interesting that there are so many (multiples of 5) anniversaries this coming year. I wouldn't give the L@B anniversary much thought, but I hope that there will be decent representations of each of the studio albums in the upcoming setlists - especially WDaDU and BCaSL as I think it's safe to expect that Awake and SFaM will both be represented well on the upcoming tour.

I agree with whoever posted about them doing a second Instrumedley - it would be perfect for them to do something like that based around the 12 Step Suite songs but include other instrumental bits of songs that they'll never otherwise play (TBoT, NE, etc). Another thing that I think would be cool is for them to do a 20 minute condensed version of SFaM - like a SFaM version of the original Metropolis part II, which would leave more room in the set for other songs. But I know that these are both pipe dreams that will never happen now since JP's taken the sole lead of the band, and he hates medleys.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Theme Dreater

• The Destroyer of Worlds
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 12:37:46 AM »
I hope I'm able to see DT on this upcoming tour, it really sounds like it's gonna be excellent. Four of these anniversaries are for some of top favorite DT albums, so I have a feeling I'll be ecstatic with any setlist they decide to play.
I was told if you dream of the next world, you'll find yourself swimming in a lake of fire.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 04:28:02 AM »
The idea of a SFAM medley is really cool, as for instrumedley 2 idea that's pretty cool as well but I'm thinking they'll do Enigma Machine and Overture 1928 as instrumentals on this tour as serious possibilities.

Online ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2013, 11:20:46 AM »

I think he's been stating his dislike of medleys since like 1986.

Offline emtee

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
In the chat with DTF members JP said he hated medleys and it seemed the other guys felt the same way. I would be
surprised if they ever played another medley.

Since Awake is still my favorite DT album the thought of heavy representation excites me...thinking of the entire album
as a 2nd set at a couple select places (and recorded for future release) really excites me. But I doubt that will happen.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
I think he's been stating his dislike of medleys since like 1986.
LOL! Perhaps. But in any case, I'm guessing that MP convinced JP to do the medleys since he was the one who wrote all the setlists. More than likely, part of MP's reasoning was the fact that with a growing catalog of material, there'd be no way to play everything they'd want to, so the medley served the purpose of fitting more stuff in to a 2 hour (or less) show.

You'll notice that once they started to do the Evening With tours, the medleys seemed to disappear completely, aside from the Instrumedley. So I'd guess that one of the agreements made was that they wouldn't do medleys on the Evening With tours, since there would have been more time to play more songs.

I guess that's one area that JP won't ever follow his WWRD® mentality.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Marion Crane

• Smile, you're on MurderTV.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »
Although I wouldn't mind all of DT12 on this coming tour but I believe that isn't happening.

Well, they managed to get all of ADTOE (a longer album) on the last tour, and that wasn't an "Evening With" tour.

God I hope they don't play all of DT12 on this tour

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 12:11:44 PM »

God I hope they don't play all of DT12 on this tour
Mangini said he hopes they will play "every freakin' minute of it". Since it's a given that FAS will be the show opener and IT will be played, seeing how short the rest of the songs are, it's the safest bet ever that they'll find their place in the setlist, at least in rotation. I would be counting on TEI, AFTR and hopefully EM to be played every night.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 12:14:58 PM »
- The Shattered Fortress

I don't see that happening. Never.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2013, 04:03:47 PM »
Since it's a given that FAS will be the show opener and IT will be played, seeing how short the rest of the songs are, it's the safest bet ever that they'll find their place in the setlist, at least in rotation. I would be counting on TEI, AFTR and hopefully EM to be played every night.
For once, I fully agree with everything you said.  :)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2013, 05:44:55 PM »
- The Shattered Fortress

I don't see that happening. Never.

Let's hope you're right. That song isn't that good.....could be my least favorite DT song ever. It's lazy to me. I know/read that some folks love it and more power to you if you do.....I just can't seem to stomach it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2013, 12:22:00 AM »
I think it's time for DT to give Awake a full run live. Some might disagree but if there was any album of theirs that hasn't had it's deserved full representation live, it's this one.

Scenes would certainly be pretty awesome to see again with the new lineup and more modern production. Besides, it'd only take up the first set in an 'evening with' format and it's not like they'd need to play it every night.

Also, it'd be cool to see a few more nods to When Dream and Day unite, it's always been nice to see DT making an active attempt to not ignore this era.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 02:24:25 PM »
I'd love to see Awake in its entirety for a live date or two.  And I'd love to see a full-band version of "Space-Dye Vest." 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 03:10:10 PM »
I'd love to see a full-band version of "Space-Dye Vest."
If they do it, here's hoping that it ends up on an official live recording. That would be awesome to hear - especially after all this time.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
I'd love to see a full-band version of "Space-Dye Vest."
If they do it, here's hoping that it ends up on an official live recording. That would be awesome to hear - especially after all this time.
Amen, brother.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2013, 06:52:55 AM »
25 years since When Dream And Day Unite  :o I hope they put The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun in the setlist to celebrate.
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 08:31:11 AM »
25 years since When Dream And Day Unite  :o I hope they put The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun in the setlist to celebrate.
I'd be happy to hear any WDADU song, but especially that one :metal I don't think TOWHTSTS will get played, though :(

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 09:31:35 AM »
I'd love to see Awake in its entirety, I think that would be the GREATEST thing they could possibly do for me at a live show. I'd also love to see a bunch from WDADU. TOWHTSTS, LFAGA, and TKH would be my favorites.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 10:46:00 AM »
I'd also love to see a bunch from WDADU. TOWHTSTS, LFAGA, and TKH would be my favorites.
Agreed!

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »
i didnt read this whole thread but JP said on sirius radio that the next tour will feature alot of awake songs to celebrate that anniversary

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2013, 11:44:17 PM »
i didnt read this whole thread but JP said on sirius radio that the next tour will feature alot of awake songs to celebrate that anniversary
:caffeine:

In the NA tour announcement JP said they're going to play songs that haven't been played before, so it looks like SDV will finally be played, perhaps TSF too.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2013, 08:18:32 AM »
  YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2013, 08:22:09 AM »
I REALLY hope they play Space Dye Vest.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2013, 08:45:40 AM »
^ That.  I'm not even that big a fan of the song, but I still think it's very good and it'll be nice to finally hear it live.