Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 994775 times)

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #6790 on: November 11, 2015, 07:15:27 AM »
Pffft, by DTF standards that's nothing. Just another average day. :lol

That's an.....interesting....way of spending time.

Next on your shopping list should be the debate on whether "The Astonishing" is grammatically correct. Make some time in your day for that tomorrow.  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6791 on: November 11, 2015, 07:18:14 AM »
Haha kids these days, that was water cooler talk compared to how things usually go down here. I've grown to tire quicker and try to fade things out but there are still intense people around here. Wait til a Moore VS. Rudess topic comes up :neverusethis:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6792 on: November 11, 2015, 07:19:15 AM »

Next on your shopping list should be the debate on whether "The Astonishing" is grammatically correct. Make some time in your day for that tomorrow.  ;D

Can't help you there Brent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6793 on: November 11, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »
Wow.  I can't believe there's like 30 posts going back and forth arguing about whether SDOIT is a song or not.
It's not.

it's an album :splodetard:

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #6794 on: November 11, 2015, 11:58:44 AM »

Grammatically correct or not, it's still a shitty title.

Wow.  I can't believe there's like 30 posts going back and forth arguing about whether SDOIT is a song or not.
It's not.

it's an album :splodetard:

Actually, it's both.  Album title = Title song/tracks
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6795 on: November 11, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
controversial opinion: through my words is not one song

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6796 on: November 11, 2015, 02:29:34 PM »
How many songs is it?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #6797 on: November 11, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
about 13.2% of one song  :P

Calvin6s

« Reply #6798 on: November 11, 2015, 04:24:32 PM »
Other DT songs also have gaps. IT has a whopping break of random wind chime noises in the middle that break any semblance of flow. Is that not considered one song?

If only.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6799 on: November 11, 2015, 10:53:39 PM »
Well even if you consider it separate from FT, TMW is still only one part of a song because the piano part continues into FT. Frankly, if they weren't going to separate it that way, I question why they separated the track at all.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6800 on: November 11, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »
The separation point is weird on the album. I recall it being more "correct" on LSFNY, and that's where I think of the split truly being. I think MP may have commented on that somewhere? Or maybe I'm remembering entirely wrong.

Being a concept album, the lines are a bit blurrier. I do consider it a song, it's just not a particularly useful song on its own, and one that is definitely dependent on FT, similar to Overture 1928 / SDV, or The Mirror / Lie, but to a much greater degree than either of those because there's no way it stands on its own unlike the rest.

I still don't think it was a bad idea to separate it as they did, because it acts as a bridging track, like a breather. Whether it's a song, or part of an act, or whatever they think of it as, isn't as relevant to me in the context of a concept album.

It's funny how different my opinion is here to the earlier discussion. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #6801 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:36 PM »
The separation point is weird on the album. I recall it being more "correct" on LSFNY, and that's where I think of the split truly being. I think MP may have commented on that somewhere? Or maybe I'm remembering entirely wrong.

To my knowledge (i.e. completely guessing), I think they split it like that because it's where JM took over lyric-writing. Not sure about that though. Either way, it still should've been separated better for neater organisation (meaning noun for organising, not a company)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #6802 on: November 12, 2015, 06:18:54 AM »
The current split happened rather late in the process actually. Listen to the David Bottrill mixes. There, Fatal Tragedy starts just as the guitars start. Through My Words is much more of a seperate piece in that mix. Fatal Tragedy also have the extended vocal intro which continues the melody from the piano part.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6803 on: November 12, 2015, 08:23:36 AM »
I've been listening to these mixes for a while before I saw them live on the ADToE tour and I was singing along at the concert and after "I hear the cries, what does this mean..."  I found myself yelling alone "I sense the neeeeeed", needless to say it was awkward :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #6804 on: November 12, 2015, 08:30:58 AM »
I'm going to have to go back and listen to those original mixes.  I remember only listening to them a couple times and thinking "wow...they made a VERY good decision to go back and re-edit this thing".  It was amazing to me how much inferior the total piece was compared to what was eventually released. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6805 on: November 12, 2015, 10:03:20 AM »
Really? We're talking about the official bootleg release of the SFAM demos right? Cause I thought they were decent renditions and the little differences from the final release were all interesting and enjoyable, not better than the final release but really not bad.

Offline MHStrawn

« Reply #6806 on: November 12, 2015, 11:08:16 AM »
Yes, talking about the official bootleg.  I thought the mixing grossly undermined the content and the final versions were far superior.  BUt like I said, I only listened a couple times; it could be my memory overstates actual impact.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #6807 on: November 12, 2015, 12:34:06 PM »
Really? We're talking about the official bootleg release of the SFAM demos right? Cause I thought they were decent renditions and the little differences from the final release were all interesting and enjoyable, not better than the final release but really not bad.

Same opinion here. Final product better? of course. Demo version an atrocity I would never listen to? no way. Actually once in a while for the novelty of it I could go for the demo version rather than the actually released record.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6808 on: November 13, 2015, 07:01:06 AM »
As a general proposition, and I am including the FII "director's cut" here too, I don't get this dismissal of the Ytsejam versions of these songs.  Of course I can tell the difference between the two, but to say one is "far superior" or the other "unlistenable" (as many have said of both records) is baffling to me.  I get that one might prefer one over the other (I don't really listen to the official FII anymore, vastly preferring the director's cut) but to bag on the other one doesn't really compute. 

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #6809 on: November 13, 2015, 07:07:54 AM »
How many songs is it?

:rollin

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6810 on: November 13, 2015, 09:01:55 AM »
DT ripped me off :/

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6811 on: November 13, 2015, 10:03:19 AM »
As a general proposition, and I am including the FII "director's cut" here too, I don't get this dismissal of the Ytsejam versions of these songs.  Of course I can tell the difference between the two, but to say one is "far superior" or the other "unlistenable" (as many have said of both records) is baffling to me.  I get that one might prefer one over the other (I don't really listen to the official FII anymore, vastly preferring the director's cut) but to bag on the other one doesn't really compute.
Especially given the fact that the alternate version of SFaM, as found on CD2 of the Making of SFaM is NOT a bunch of demos, but the ORIGINAL MIX of the final studio recordings. So if anyone complains about the sound quality of it (as opposed to the FII demos), they need to get their ears checked since the sound quality is as good as the final album, perhaps even better. However, the energy was a bit lacking in the Botrill mixes, which is why JP wanted to do the remix.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline 425

« Reply #6812 on: November 13, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »

The FII Demos are nigh unlistenable to me due to terrible sound quality.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6813 on: November 13, 2015, 08:28:49 PM »

Sound quality alone excludes them from serious listening for me. Musically, they're mostly not too different with the few obvious exceptions (and omissions), but luckily I prefer everything about the final album anyway, including the songs they ditched.

For SFAM, I agree there shouldn't be any major complaints. The sound quality isn't quite as good as the album, being unmastered and all, but given that the final album isn't one of DT's best sounding anyway, there's not much in it. The mix differences are mostly minor too. Overall I prefer the final album mix, but the original mix is perfectly listenable, and an interesting peek into the process.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #6814 on: November 13, 2015, 10:04:44 PM »

Sound quality alone excludes them from serious listening for me. Musically, they're mostly not too different with the few obvious exceptions (and omissions), but luckily I prefer everything about the final album anyway, including the songs they ditched.

For SFAM, I agree there shouldn't be any major complaints. The sound quality isn't quite as good as the album, being unmastered and all, but given that the final album isn't one of DT's best sounding anyway, there's not much in it. The mix differences are mostly minor too. Overall I prefer the final album mix, but the original mix is perfectly listenable, and an interesting peek into the process.

I may be in the minority here but I absolutely love the mix on SFaM. Every instrument cuts through perfectly without any one instrument overpowering another. You can really feel the magic through the mix and it works well with the music.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6815 on: November 13, 2015, 10:16:15 PM »
I really like the mix on SFAM too, it just lacks some polish. Even that's not really a bad thing, it's just not what I consider one of DT's best sounding albums, but it's not one of their weakest either. I'd still place it well ahead of the last 4 albums sonically.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6816 on: November 13, 2015, 10:54:17 PM »
It's just not what I consider one of DT's best sounding albums, but it's not one of their weakest either.
What would you consider their best sounding album?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6817 on: November 14, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
It's just not what I consider one of DT's best sounding albums, but it's not one of their weakest either.

I personally think FII is their best sounding, with SDOIT close behind. IaW and Awake also sound great due to the era. I'd put SFAM middle of the pack, ahead of WDADU, and at least the last 4.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6818 on: November 14, 2015, 06:28:34 AM »

I personally think FII is their best sounding, with SDOIT close behind. IaW and Awake also sound great due to the era. I'd put SFAM middle of the pack, ahead of WDADU, and at least the last 4.
I agree with this assessment wholeheartedly.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #6819 on: November 14, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
That sounds about right! Though I do like the SFAM mix more than IaW's.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6820 on: November 14, 2015, 09:25:22 PM »
That sounds about right! Though I do like the SFAM mix more than IaW's.

IaW is very much a product of its time, so it's very understandable it's not to everyone's taste. I love that late '80s / early '90s sound, so it's right up my alley. Each to their own. :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6821 on: November 16, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »

I mean this constructively and not personally, but I find that to be rather over-dramatic.   Perhaps I'm more tolerant of "sound" than others, but "nigh unlistenable" and "terrible" sounds rather like overstatement.

I have a fair amount of driving to do today, maybe I'll bring those two along and revisit them both.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6822 on: November 16, 2015, 07:43:59 AM »
I don't know know about "unlistenable" but they are definitely of lower quality than the studio release.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6823 on: November 16, 2015, 07:56:26 AM »
I think the official bootleg sounds quite nasty, and it's quite a huge jump from DT's best sounding studio album, to demo quality that is on par with their worst sounding album.
I have a different copy of some of the demo songs from some other unknown source, and they sounded quite good. I don't know what happened there.

Offline Viking of the Sagas

« Reply #6824 on: November 16, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »
Afterlife is a Top 10 DT song.